You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Migantium_Mashum

The Asashio; Not a Hack ship.

48 comments in this topic

Players
2,174 posts

Had a debate with another forum member in another post as to the effectiveness of the Asashio or Asashio B... Now he called the ship a hack and basically no good for anything.. just another Kagero. :Smile-angry:

So, I took out my Asashio whilst recording the session to prove Asashio is a good little DD if played right.

Hopefully, now the player will understand why I rate Asashio and his opinion may change as a result.

Sit back and enjoy as Mashum plays... So close to my Kraken as well.... oh well can't have it all...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[SHAD]
Players
2,473 posts
11,067 battles

I remember keeping a khaba spotted in this little ship while a harugumo pounded him from smoke. The Mgaba tried to chase me but with a 2km spotting advantage it didn’t last long.

Its limited but when used correctly it’s quite effective. 

[SKM71]
[SKM71]
Players
143 posts
13,003 battles
25 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Had a debate with another forum member in another post as to the effectiveness of the Asashio or Asashio B... Now he called the ship a hack and basically no good for anything.. just another Kagero. :Smile-angry:

So, I took out my Asashio whilst recording the session to prove Asashio is a good little DD if played right.

Hopefully, now the player will understand why I rate Asashio and his opinion may change as a result.

Sit back and enjoy as Mashum plays... So close to my Kraken as well.... oh well can't have it all...

Deepwater torpedoes are a hack. And ashashio is a hack by derivation. Playing random is just one step above playing coop. Come back and play ashashio when we have a regular ranked season featuring tier 8. You have only one ranked battle in ashashio. I want to see you try contesting caps and battle DDs. Claiming that a ship is good because you can harvest random battle simpletons is just nonsense and shows how little you understand. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 12
  • Bad 3

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,394 posts
7,276 battles

Asashio can be played as a 1 trick pony ship for potatoes, who get to clap as 1 torp finally hits something. Sadly, this is the vast majority of Asashio players.

For players with slightly more brain cells it makes an interesting unique ship, that combines the spotting of a kagero with the ability to sink BB that aren't in your immediate vicinity.

For ranked it's a bad choice - there's 7 ships instead of 12, so you're already limited targets are reduced (to the point of there possibly not being any). The map layout is essentially 1 guaranteed cap and 1 contested one. There's usually only 1 DD, so the team requirements are for a DD that can contest cap. For this reason the Harekaze is the superior choice in ranked because of the team needs, team line ups, and map layout.

Dont get me wrong - I love my Asashio, it's my fav DD to play. However it's a terrible choice for ranked

• Cool 6

[RODS]
Players
1,240 posts
7,217 battles

Had a lot of nice games in the Asashio

A fun little boat, stealthy as they can get at that tier, torp acceration gives you very fast 16 km torps and the guns aint bad either

• Cool 2

[WTFNO]
Players
128 posts

The Asashio is quite good: stealthy, hard-hitting guns.. all that on top of its insidious DW torps. It's much less situational than HMS Indomitable for example :)

• Cool 1

Players
1,072 posts
12,555 battles

While it's not a bad ship I do think the fact it is in the game at all is bad for the game, cause other than spotting all it can do is dev-strike BBs which in turn makes them camp more which then forces the cruisers back and then the DDs have no support so they start camping and it just turns the game into a 20km sniping fest.

• Bad 1

Players
2,174 posts
2 minutes ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

While it's not a bad ship I do think the fact it is in the game at all is bad for the game, cause other than spotting all it can do is dev-strike BBs which in turn makes them camp more which then forces the cruisers back and then the DDs have no support so they start camping and it just turns the game into a 20km sniping fest.

If you force the enemy team back then isn't that a good thing? You can then torpedo, cap or spot with impunity.

This game isn't all about doing damage, although it's nice to achieve, it's about putting your opponents in a position that they cannot win. (Or am I missing something?)

• Cool 5

Players
1,072 posts
12,555 battles
2 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

If you force the enemy team back then isn't that a good thing? You can then torpedo, cap or spot with impunity.

This game isn't all about doing damage, although it's nice to achieve, it's about putting your opponents in a position that they cannot win. (Or am I missing something?)

it goes both ways if there is one on both teams it just makes the entire game experience static and downright boring, that is what I meant by it being bad for the game...

• Bad 1

[GURKA]
Players
5,198 posts
10,427 battles

Detonated once a T10 BB with the very first salvo of torps, which was bow on. Asashio stories

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,973 posts
7,324 battles

Everything an Asashio does, Harekaze does better. Besides getting torpedo hits on far away target that nobody cares about anyway.

Guns are just the same as every other IJN DD. They hits hard, but their DPM is still bad. Very very bad. Stealth is nothing amazing when Lightning gets 100 meters less and Benson is much faster with around 300 meters difference of concealment (which is nothing).

Asashio is a pure one-trick pony, good at accumulating damage on other low impact ship, and its whole design revolves around staying far from the objectives. Overall it's a badly designed ship that works because it's incredibly easy to play. So easy that even bad players manages results with it.

If you want a good spotter/support ship, with actual good guns, and torpedoes that aren't limited to one target, try the british destroyers. They are amazing at this kind of gameplay from tier 8 onward.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

Players
2,174 posts
11 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

If you want a good spotter/support ship, with actual good guns, and torpedoes that aren't limited to one target, try the british destroyers. They are amazing at this kind of gameplay from tier 8 onward.

I have them also and I am equally as good... Cossack and Lightning..

[R3B3L]
Players
869 posts
29,020 battles
40 minutes ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

it can do is dev-strike BBs which in turn makes them camp more

it´s not like BBs need an excuse to camp.

They do camp and everything that comes along serves as a welcome excuse.

Your statement shows how little challenge BB-mains can handle.

ONE Asashio makes five BBs camp?

Woo, heroes.

At the same time the DesMo is expected to go near the cap to radar, while 5 enemy BBs stare at him like hyenas.

But every BB can dev-strike every cruiser anyway, so should all cruisers run to the edges now?

• Cool 1

[KOKOS]
Players
445 posts
6,372 battles
49 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

Everything an Asashio does, Harekaze does better. 

Having played both, I have to disagree.

The torps on the Asashio are just so so good. Harekaze's damage output feels seriously lacklustre after using these beasts.

And stopping an enemy advance dead in its tracks because all BB run like chicken after you sink one of them also has it's advantages. And you don't even have to kill the cruisers, because when the BBs turn, they will turn.

Even those long range shots can be far from useless, for area denial or surprise alone – it depends on the player and the circumstances.

I also don't think that the Harekaze is a particularly good DD to fight in caps. The hitpoints are low, and even the 100 mm guns can only carry you so far. I would call them pretty evenly matched in this regard.

Both are good ships, but there is no clear winner, in my opinion. If I had to chose, I would probably chose Asashio.

The whole point of the ship is, that after one minute into the battle, you have the potential to do good damage with every single torp salvo. Far away ships, ships that turned away from you, chokepoints etc – you just constantly dump those fish without pause, like you can not do with any other ship, except maybe Benham (but played differently).

And it's not like this torp damage can be easily healed like fire. It does make a difference.

• Cool 2

[LEEUW]
Players
437 posts
7,014 battles

I was waiting for the played right part, i guess i've missed it.

• Funny 1

[BAZI]
Beta Tester
2,851 posts
10,968 battles

@OP and friend: Please google up the definition of a "hack" before ever using the word again.

On Asashio: It has one job and it does it well. Maybe it comes as a surprise to some people, but taking BBs out of the fight actually has noticeable impact on the outcome of a match. I wouldnt touch it with a mile-long-pole for ranked, but in randoms there is always work to do for those deepwaters.

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,557 posts
23,761 battles

3 weeks of asashio :Smile_child:... if halfway knowing what one does and a bit of luck it's just.... *sigh* :Smile_great: . if not, well in that case it's utter useless. but what ship is not lol?! 

*soon may to get hit by passive nerfbat (new tasm mod):Smile_izmena:

Asashio B    Asashio B VIII 23 69.57%
Super Unicum
2 025
Great
80 295 1.26 0
Asashio    Asashio VIII 22 54.55%
Very Good
1 977
Great
85 499 1.23

Players
2,600 posts
18,774 battles

Asasshio is great fun in random battles, because most haters get bloodraged when they see one and usually get pummeled and even killed because of it ^^

Especially high tier DD's :fish_haloween:

• Cool 1

Players
1,072 posts
12,555 battles
5 hours ago, VIadoCro said:

it´s not like BBs need an excuse to camp.

They do camp and everything that comes along serves as a welcome excuse.

Your statement shows how little challenge BB-mains can handle.

ONE Asashio makes five BBs camp?

Woo, heroes.

At the same time the DesMo is expected to go near the cap to radar, while 5 enemy BBs stare at him like hyenas.

But every BB can dev-strike every cruiser anyway, so should all cruisers run to the edges now?

I'm a cruiser and DD main so I can't be one of those BBs camping in the back, in fact I normally tend to be the only ship doing any tanking most of the time... typically in a cruiser while the BBs hit 's' at the start of the battle. Sure most BBs will camp anyway, but when they see an Asashio on the enemy team it just makes them camp harder which isn't helping in getting the top tier meta to be less static. I'm not saying the ship is bad for the team it's on (unless it is one of those boarder humping idiots that torp from max range and completely ignore the caps all game), I'm just saying the the ship is bad for the game in general as a concept.

[GURKA]
Players
5,198 posts
10,427 battles
3 hours ago, Europizza said:

Asasshio is great fun in random battles, because most haters get bloodraged when they see one and usually get pummeled and even killed because of it ^^

Especially high tier DD's :fish_haloween:

Random battles? Played her in Clan brawl 4vs4. But only 2 matches :D

One Clan said, after I hit their BB hard "And we were joking, if we would see an Asashio" xD

and also this:

1.thumb.jpg.9e74eaf9f6be28830ad1aeb20d28390e.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[R3B3L]
Players
869 posts
29,020 battles
25 minutes ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

I'm a ...

I adressed the statement, didn´t attack you personally.

Also, the guys i meant aren´t on forums anyway.

[WCWVE]
Players
1,022 posts
16,467 battles

When Asashio first came out the ranked season following was Tier 8 and she did quite well in that season, I remember one battle, all my team mates had been sunk and there were two enemy BB's left with something like 4 minutes on the clock and I managed to sink both enemy BB's to win the game

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,261 posts
10,039 battles

She does what she does very good, namely hunting bbs. But she is situational. Once a carrier is involved her influence is greatly reduced. The same goes for longerange radars. 

But considering the average level of the players you're facing devstriking bbs is a walk in the park. 

Had a game in her where I devstruck 4 bbs. Almost 200k dmg. No carrier, no radars, EZ game. Next game there was a carrier and I had zero dmg. Asashio life in a nutshell. :cap_haloween:

• Cool 2

Players
2,174 posts
11 hours ago, TheBrut3 said:

I was waiting for the played right part, i guess i've missed it.

I spotted, I capped, I torpedoed, I countered, I nearly got my kraken... what was not right?

[TTT]
Players
2,090 posts
21,104 battles

One player tried to force his Asashio into 1 vs 1 sprint. How did that go you ask?

asashio.thumb.png.0e6319b69ead0d3a677d92241711b0b0.png

• Funny 2