0.9.0 - British cruisers: Early Access

117 comments in this topic

[WG]
WG Staff
3,918 posts
4,294 battles

WG_WOWs_SPB_Branchnotes_090_BR_Crusiers.jpg

Captains!

British heavy cruisers V HawkinsVI DevonshireVII Surrey, and VIII Albemarle are arriving in Early Access. To obtain them, exchange the new event resource—British Tokens—in the Armory for random bundles which can drop the new ships.

With the release of Update 0.9.1, Tier V–X British heavy cruisers will become available for all players to research in the Tech Tree.

e890f104-337b-11ea-9e84-38eaa735f4cc.jpg

What are the distinctive features of British heavy cruisers?

• Their guns can cause significant damage per salvo, but have a relatively short firing range and arching shell trajectory.
  • Unlike British light cruisers, the nation’s heavy cruisers can use high-explosive shells.
  • Tube-by-tube torpedo launching capabilities.
  • Durable armor in the central part of their decks for Tier VI ships and higher give representatives of the new branch greater survivability in comparison to other cruisers.
  • Efficient Repair Party consumable: restores 50% of citadel damage, as opposed to the standard 10% for this ship type. Starting from Tier VIII, Repair Party restores 2% of the ship’s maximum HP per second instead of the standard 0.5%.
  • All researchable British heavy cruisers can choose between Hydroacoustic Search and Defensive AA Fire.

Cruisers IX Drake and X Goliath have even more powerful artillery: main guns with a caliber of 234 mm and high-explosive shells that can penetrate armor up to 58 mm thick. Additionally, their Repair Party consumables are capable of restoring 60% of non-citadel damage.

Directives

The new game event tasks you with completing 36 missions spread across four Directives. The first Directive will become available with the release of Update 0.9.0, while those that follow will be unlocked each week. Completing missions will bring you signals, expendable camouflages, and credits; completing Directives will reward you with British Tokens.

British Tokens

British Tokens can be obtained from Daily Shipments or earned by completing Directives and Daily Missions. In a new Armory section, you can exchange the Tokens for random bundles which can drop British heavy cruisers V Hawkins, VI Devonshire, VII Surrey, or VIII Albemarle. Each ship comes with the Victorian White permanent camouflage.

Random Bundles

• The contents of the currently available bundle will be visible to you.
  • After each exchange, the contents of the next random bundle will be visible to you.
  • Bundles that don't contain ships may appear more than once.

Apart from the ships, random bundles can drop days of Warships Premium Account, Coal, camouflages, and special signals.

Bundles that include significant hauls of desirable items are also available in exchange for doubloons in the Armory.

cd9a898a-3625-11ea-8cc1-38eaa735f4cc_1200x.jpg

You can read more about British cruisers in this dedicated article. 

• Angry 1

[CATS]
Players
26,056 posts
14,083 battles

You should make the number of token bundles limited as you did with the dubloon bundles.

If you set the number of bundles high enough (but still purchasable) a really dedicated player can get all ships, while the rest gets them randomly, but with better chances.

• Cool 3

Players
466 posts
9,518 battles
2 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

You should make the number of token bundles limited as you did with the dubloon bundles.

If you set the number of bundles high enough (but still purchasable) a really dedicated player can get all ships, while the rest gets them randomly, but with better chances.

Away with you and your common sense suggestions.

Image result for common sense

• Cool 2

Players
921 posts
12,995 battles
2 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

I would have liked that, but objectively this is just an alternative delivery mechanism for early access, compared to the random chance of a special mission drop from a container (free or purchased) that also had no guarantees. 

I think maybe we are losing sight of that and comparing this event to the previous occasions where random bundles were employed, i.e the Filth and Italian Cruisers (for Genova). Again, taken objectively they are not the same.

On a minor bright side the Live patch shows that the Premium bundles are limited to a maximum of 65, guaranteeing you four silver ships, four Port Slots (1,200Db), and four Premium camos (worth 7,000Db) when you spend 65,000 Doubloons (/sarcasm).

Comparing it to previous early access events I haven't done the math yet to calculate what the previous maximum number of free containers would have been. This time we know we can only get a maximum of 30 if we (simply) do all the daily combat missions every day, get all 10 log-in bonuses, and complete all four Directives (which after the PR fiasco are back to moderately sane levels of grinding).

I'm not passing judgement, I'm simply interested in the facts. I'm probably just going to restrict myself to playing Aegis this week, and some Narai for the last few days of the event. There's nothing in this event that is of particular importance and I'm quite happy to wait until next patch. Already got the xp waiting on Danae if needed.

Reading through the Gambling Commission's report on loot boxes and the DCMS report again I just wish WG would step-up and actually publish the percentages. Maybe they're too scared to give any tacit recognition that loot boxes that people pay for are a scummy mechanism that preys on gambling addictions and should be banned.

• Cool 5

[V888]
Players
2,106 posts
9,511 battles

Thanks for the UNLIMITED RANDOM BUNDLES.

Now please look up the word "improvement" in the dictionary and adjust everything accordingly.

Nobody liked random bundles. I wonder what genius thought that making them unlimited is something that players will appreciate.

You're loosing your compass and there is something called "point of no return". You might wanna look up that as well. 

• Cool 6

[LUSOS]
Players
319 posts
17,743 battles

What's the point of "early access? To get a tier 8 asap so that when the techtree is open you just need to free xp 1 tier up to tier 10?

Let players grind normally and enjoy the middle tiers, as it was supposed to.

Oh, what's that? You just want to milk some euros from those that want to be the 1st to have the new ships? Ah, ok, carry on!.

• Cool 5

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts
17 hours ago, YabbaCoe said:

Random Bundles

• The contents of the currently available bundle will be visible to you.
  • After each exchange, the contents of the next random bundle will be visible to you.
  • Bundles that don't contain ships may appear more than once.

Those bundles are just container / lootboxes without the added animation or the oil for the clan base.

As they are unlimited in number, the reward of gaining early access to the british cruisers with their perma-camo (the real reward) is still gambling with unkown chances.

Stop doing that. Provide the rewards properly. Don't let luck decide if players gets a reward, let them play for it instead.

• A ship+camo per directive completed.
  • A dedicated mission chain.
  • Direct purchase with the added temporary token currency.

Those are all preferable to random luck of the draw lotteries. A lottery can not, ever, represent how much effort a player placed into gaining a reward.

If you want to monetize it, you can still sell those ships+camo directly for doubloons on the event page in the game or for real money in the store. I'm sure there would still be players making use of that option, if they can't gain the ships+camos due to lack of skill or activity (or other reasons).

While we are at it. The doubloon bundles are an insolence as well. There is a ~1:16 chance to get a ship. That could mean 16.000 doubloons per ship if bad comes to worse. That's ~200 € for silver ships with four perma comos. And their chance is supposed to be higher then the non-doubloon bundles too. That means that out of the maximum of 30 bundles we can get for free, there is a good chance to get only one ship, or even none at all.

Those bundles are another epitome of predatory event creation. You dangle a carrot in front of our nose but the chance to obtain it is nearly non-existent. What's the point of creating this event in the first place? It's not for the players. That's for sure. Such events are only made to fill your pockets. Nothing wrong about that, you want to earn money, but be upfront about it.

Let me quote from the update article:

British heavy cruisers V Hawkins, VI Devonshire, VII Surrey, and VIII Albemarle are arriving in Early Access. To obtain them, exchange the new event resource—British Tokens—in the Armory for random bundles which can drop the new ships.

Yeah, good luck with that. You should tell people about how ridiculously low their chances are to get those ships with their perma-camo for free with the limited amount of tokens you provide. And no, the other stuff in those bundles are not a compensation. The carrots are the ships not those random signals and small amounts of coal, credits, or freeXP.

If you don't want to provide early access ships for free, then don't do it. Don't hide that fact behind such stupid smoke screens. It's the PR event all over again only on a smaller scale. Only that this time even those grinding like madman don't have a real chance either. Where do we see that you learned your lessons from the PR event? Or from all the feedback we gave you on past early access events? Is the only thing you learned from all that really only how to hide the money grab even better?

@MrConway@Crysantos

• Cool 10

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

I've provided every patch in 2019 with detailed feedback upon its content: what was good, what was bad, what could be improved and how it could be improved. Nothing was done with that info, quite the contrary. So for 2020 I'm going to spare myself the effort: 

It's sh1t, worse than it was. Stop doing it.

• Cool 7

[_FK_]
Beta Tester
609 posts
14,041 battles

Whats more insulting is how utterly dogshit the ships are.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[TAW]
Players
219 posts
7,073 battles

First game in Hawkins, although she potentially has a 6 gun broadside, any sort of angling quickly reduces that to 3 or 4 guns because of the extremely poor angles on B, P and X turrets, so as a gun cruiser pretty ineffective.

[V888]
Players
2,106 posts
9,511 battles
32 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

I've provided every patch in 2019 with detailed feedback upon its content: what was good, what was bad, what could be improved and how it could be improved. Nothing was done with that info, quite the contrary. So for 2020 I'm going to spare myself the effort: 

It's sh1t, worse than it was. Stop doing it.

WG is proving all the time that they don't care about feedback, at all.

I'd accept that if they had the decency to say it. However, they always repeat how important players' feedback is etc. when the fact couldn't be further from the truth and that's being proven constantly.

It's one of the reason I don't even report bugs anymore or participate in the PTS waste of time anymore. 

From all the feedback I left and I've seen left by many others during the early stages on testing, WG did absolutely NOTHING to change anything. Not to mention all empty words and BS they constantly use. From all the broken promises WG ever made to "we'll look into it" but never actually do. Hell, I even had @Sub_Octavian promising he will look into some matter (regarding co-op battles ending too quick) like a month ago and he never gave any feedback after that. I guess they don't realize how unprofessional that behavior is and that common sense players will be walking away. Nobody likes to be ignored and treated like $hit.

• Cool 2

[TAW]
Players
219 posts
7,073 battles

Second observation: 3.0km range on the secondaries from T8 up, why? Apparently these guns can shoot 5.8km upwards, given the Long Range AA zone, but only 3.0 horizontally! Perhaps I should save Jingles for these ships so that he can politely ask enemy DD captains to close to within 3.0km.

[OCTO]
Players
1,182 posts
25,414 battles

I logged in, looked at the directives - check twice that the rewards are for real (i.e. do 50000 damage and get 2 (two!) Zulu-Papa signals). Grand prize, tokens for you to feed into a slot loot machine for a chance of getting.... wait for it..... meh silver ship! Then I logged off, without bothering to play. 

Since I started playing this game, this is by far the most underwhelming event that was ever implemented.

Thanks, I needed to reduce my playing time and you gave me a very good reason. 

• Cool 2

Players
153 posts
7,796 battles

Well just taken out the tier V Hawkins into battle and let just say that so far it appears to be total shite.

Gun range 1.25km compared to all other cruisers that have between 14km and 16.5km gun ranges? Hell even destroyer's have a further stock gun range than this pile of garbage.

Extremely slow gun reloads on the 5 guns, took on a Leander and the guy was laughing hard as he was able to fire faster, use more guns, hit harder and keep dodging outside my gun range.

Yet another joke ship for the RN from the Russian ship biased games firm.

• Cool 3

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

Even from the first testings of the heavy cruisers, there was criticism towards Wargaming for trying to stretch the Hawkins in the T5 position. That ship was nowhere near capable to fill that role (it would need a smokescreen at least), and would have been better suited for T4, with T5 being HMS York (sistership of the T5 Exeter). Almost every tester, streamer or anyone with a remote interest and knowledge in history was telling that. 

Shows how Wargaming handles suggestions and feedback.

• Cool 6

[AGRES]
Players
146 posts
9,102 battles

from 0.9.0

you cann hide ugly hallowen (and other) camos..but the benefits stays.

this is truly wonderfull !! finally WG

no we need next wise steps like:

- not dropping fighters. but manually steering like other planes. with possibility to leave them on any place to patrol..

- stop causing fire non deck !!!, when hitting with HE the ships waterline..!!! 

- show in game compare tab ship to ship 

- in harbour one-button music switch, and auto camera moving, and fix an individual point of view.

Players
31 posts

again sell tech tree ship on gold nice move and the reword from the Bundles is 0 for the gold need to spend and the Directives reword is again -0 nice done and pls delete again my post if don like the truth........ f..............

[GRKEN]
Players
28 posts
14,159 battles

Henri nerf was way to much WG. You have now made it totally obsolete.

• Cool 2

Players
1,459 posts
13,944 battles
16 minutes ago, h3dning said:

Henri nerf was way to much WG. You have now made it totally obsolete.

It's not russian and it's not premium, so of course it received the "gentle balancing pass" by detonating a thermonuclear device in it's hold.

• Cool 2

[V888]
Players
2,106 posts
9,511 battles

One observation...

Besides the random bundles every player hate... besides now being unlimited with no guarantee of a ship being dropped no matter how many bundles you obtain...

Now the premium ones are on top and then the standard ones (for temporary tokens) are below.

IIRC, it was always the other way around and that was the only normal way.

Now WG is trying to make players accidentally buy premium ones for doubloons by placing those on top?

Seriously? It's things like these that make players hate you because you're showing disrespect towards your players with every change you make.

• Cool 2

[BASIC]
Players
498 posts
19,832 battles
4 minutes ago, Palubarac said:

One observation...

Besides the random bundles every player hate... besides now being unlimited with no guarantee of a ship being dropped no matter how many bundles you obtain...

Now the premium ones are on top and then the standard ones (for temporary tokens) are below.

IIRC, it was always the other way around and that was the only normal way.

Now WG is trying to make players accidentally buy premium ones for doubloons by placing those on top?

Seriously? It's things like these that make players hate you because you're showing disrespect towards your players with every change you make.

But every transaction needs to be cofirmed before making it. Reading is not OP, I guess?

[V888]
Players
2,106 posts
9,511 battles
20 minutes ago, koliber_1984 said:

But every transaction needs to be cofirmed before making it. Reading is not OP, I guess?

Does that make placing it on top normal?

Or just scammy and greedy?

IDK, maybe it's ok for some players. Maybe we should be presented with some loot boxes for doubloons as a pop-up window, every time we finish a battle.

Yeah, maybe it's just me.

• Cool 2

[ALYEN]
Players
1,619 posts
3,579 battles

The greed is over the top with this one ... so the 1k dub bundles have finite options and you proudly state that after getting 65 bundles you get all possible rewards ... that's 65k dubs !!! THAT'S MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE PAYTO RICO !!!! For tech tree ships ....

• Cool 3

[DIV-1]
[DIV-1]
Players
182 posts
7,498 battles
14 hours ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

The greed is over the top with this one ... so the 1k dub bundles have finite options and you proudly state that after getting 65 bundles you get all possible rewards ... that's 65k dubs !!! THAT'S MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE PAYTO RICO !!!! For tech tree ships ....

Yeah 65 bundles, looool. 1000 doubloons each..... if you have bad luck and all ships are somewhere at the middle to end of the row, you pay alot of money for some lame signals and camo's. For ships that are implemented in the game for free soon..... :Smile-_tongue:

Players
466 posts
9,518 battles

I have the money and the gold.

But after the PR S..T SHOW and this British heavy cruisers   S..T SHOW.

I will not be spending my money or gold on this latest blatant money grab.

So F..K YOU WG and the horse you rode in on.........................................................:etc_red_button:

• Cool 1