Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Jethro_Grey

Build your Ship Ep II - How to do it so everyone profits!

10 comments in this topic

[CAIN]
Players
4,344 posts
18,372 battles

In the past years, WG had created many good Things, which hyped the community...and shortly b efore release they took a Dump on it and called it a success. 

Especially true for the Dockyard feature, which could have been THE highlight of a crappy year. 

But, this thread is not About the massive frak up that was the PR Event, but what could have been done differently to make it a success not only with WGs turnover/ Profits but with the community. 

I am gonna use a fictional ship with fictional stats for this Scenario and i'm gonna Keep the whole directives/ Tasks thingy short, as much Detail is not needed to bring the Point across. 

Here is it Boys n' Girls, this is how i would have done it. 

My Company, named WP in this Scenario is also purely fictional (until People start subbing in large quantities to my twitch channel that is). 

The directives/ progess works in my example the same way the Puert Rico one does.

1. Preparation

As Company, i'm not creating Events for the sake of having them. 

Of Course i want to make Profit, but, being a smart guy, i know that happy customers are more willing to part with their hard-earned cash and are less likely to complain. 

So, my Goals are: 

1. create an Event People want to be part of
  2. People want to Play
  3. make Profits (moonbases ain't cheap y'know)

My Company, WP, decided to introduce a Dockyard Event as highlight for the end of the year festivities where People can watch their ship being constructed, more or less in real time. 

I Need a ship for that. No probs, i have lots of Napkins lying around with designs. 

Now, having my Goals in mind, i do want that People want that ship. 

I do not want to give it away for free (no Profits there).

It's the Holidays Season, People may have more time, but they also want to spend this time with loved ones. 

So, while one part of my community will just fork out crap tons of Money for the ship, others will have the time to grind it out for free-ish (more or less), while others will not. 

How to satisfy all my customers? 

So, lets do some hard thinking for a sec...

Bingo! 

It's a game About WWII Warships, Right? Ships changed over the Course of the war, Right? 

That's the solution! 

One ship hull, three different Setups People can unlock! 

I set the Event to start early November already and the end date early January. 

Reason for this, i want to start slowly, then slowly increase the requirements - give everyone the time needed to grind out the directives - and end the Event with a bang! 

The ship itself:

I Chose the HMS Whathername, a battle Cruiser that was planed and had three different variants, but uses the same hull for all three

1.  A Variant: TIX BC with 9x3 285mm guns and a quick reload, 2x4 torps with 8km range and average AA, Hydro
  2.  B Variant: TIX BC with 9x3 305mm guns, 2x4 torps with 8 km range and RADAR (USN range, but Shorter run time), a bit better AA, no hydro, but a fighter plane
  3.  C: Variant TX BC with 9x3 340mm guns with slow reload but a nasty Punch, no torps, no Radar but good AA
  4.  Armor, Torpedo protection, Speed, concealment, turning circle are the same for all three variants, with possible changes to some values depending on the test

All ships enter testing in early July under different names to avoid People figuring out what's coming this Xmas. 

The 3D modelling of the Dockyard and the various completion stages of the ship commences

Setting a Price for the ship:

a TIX ship in WPs premium shop Costs on average 65€. 

But this is TX, and i don't want to follow the Progression i have in the Tiers 5-8 in my shop (because Moonbase), so i set the Prize for this TX to be 150€ when bought or in this case, when a Player wants to unlock her without playing a single game. 

*Don't Forget to add that to the News article! 

2. The Event itself

People want something to do, have fun while doing it and not burn out in the process.

But ther is still this Profit/ Moonbase Thing...

So, lets design my Event/ the directives in a way that satisfies all parties.

Lets make the DIrectives three-staged, meaning, i have one stage for each of my customer types, and each one will alollow me to monetize it to a certain Degree. 

That's why i have three versions of the same ship, a decent one for people who really do't have much time, a good one at the same Tier for Players with more time and a TX one for the hardcore Players.

Which one the Player gets is a Question how much effort he puts in, or how much Money he's willing to fork out. 

The Overall length of the Event is ~8 weeks, which means i Need 7 directives.

To Progress to the next directive, a Player has to unlock 7 Tasks in each directive, progess can be done across all three stages, depending on skill, time spend and which ship the Player actually wants.

In order to get a "jump start", Players can buy Boosters for Dubloons.

1. Booster 2k

2. Booster 5k 

3. Booster 8k 

total of 15k which equals 50€

Directive 1

Stage 1:

8 Tasks of which 7 Need to be done within a week to get the Tokens in time. Completion guarantees Progress on the A variant of the SHip.

Tasks are rather easy, rewards are the usual Signals, camos, consumeables, Nothing too fancy

Stage 2: 

5 Tasks which are optional, but at least three Need to be completed to Progress on the B Variant

Tasks are more demanding, rewards are more juicy, like Signals, camos sm all amounts of coal

a Dubloon booster can be bought to skip the stage and get the rewards for stage 2 (1 is not included)

Stage 3: 

This is the one where the $hit hits the fan. 

4 Tasks of which 2 Need to be completed to progress on the C variant

rewards include in the first directives large amounts of Signals, more Event Tokens, camos, free XP and a bit more coal, later directives give Special Signals, rare camos and steel

a Dubloon Booster can be used to skip the stage and get the rewards for stage 3 (1 and 2 are not included!)

Rinse and repeat for all directives, i am just making the rewards for the stages 2 and three bigger and better towards the end. 

Players can choose to skip all of it directly by buying the Boosters needed to jumpstart, then after reaching a certain Level in Progress, they can choose to skip the rest for a Dubloon value of 100€. 

Skipping directly to the end for 150€ does NOT give any of the rewards from the directives however. 

Players who skip directive by directive, will pay more then someone who skipped directly, but will get the rewards for the stage he skipped. Total Prize for this way is 190-200€ for the C variant.

Good Thing is, you don't have to buy those skip-boosters if you complete the stage 3 Tasks by playing.

So, for instance, a F2P Player settled for the "free" variant A, which he'll get just by playing. 

BUT, directive 6 and 7 give each 50k coal and 4k steel, which he really really wants to unlock a Steel ship.

Well, he can choose to buy the Boosters for These two directives once he unlocked them via normal Play and spend some Dubloons. 

He got a ship for "free (just by playing normally, without mindboggling grind)" and recieved valuable resources for Dubloons ( and lets be real here: if YOU had the Option to buy 50k coal and 4k steel for 6k Dubloons, you would do it). 

Now, not everyone will spend any Money (because they bought WPs awesomesauce Lootboxes) and/or might not even be able to Play enough to get the A variant for "free". 

Hmmmmm….that might cause some whining...how to fix that (and make a few bucks in the process...if at all possible...).

It would be really sad if someone from the community didn't get it just because he went on vacation.

I mean, WP could gift them to all those who didn't get oine after the Event, but that would:

1. pi$$ off People who bought a few boosters

2. played during the time

3. ruin WPs Reputation as greedy company

We can't have that, even during the Xmas time...hold on a second! 

WE can't do that! But the community can, it's the time of giving after all! 

Let's create a Mission/ Token bundle that can be purchased in the store/ ingame Client for...say 3€ per bundle. 

Add a FREE small Mission chain  to the Client which gives the Players on the NA Server 1 Token for completeing it, but each completion adds Tokens into a Pot that Benefits the EU Server.

Repeat that later for all Server regions! 

Put it in the NA store first and write an Article on the Portal and in the Client, which says...

EMERGENCY ALERT! 

All Hands to Action stations!

EU is under siege!

We Need YOU to support our Allies! 

Complete Mission chain X to recieve 1 Token and Signal flag and add 10 Tokens for the EU Liberation effort! 

OPTIONAL: buy another Mission chain for 3$ from the Store if you're so inclined

Also, Merry Xmas! 

Repeat for all Servers. 

"..hey boss, the results are in, the Mission packs didn't sold too well, on Server X, so there won't be enough Tokens to spread around for everyone…"

"so?"

"well, either we distribute the Progress Tokens equally, so many won't get the A variant, or we distribute them to Players who are close to completeion first and the rest will go home empty handed…" 

"...it's Xmas you git. Nobody knows how many we sold, so let's pretend we sopld enough." 

After the Event. 

Well, still busy counting the cash, but it may have been a success.

But, as with all Events ever cretaed by a developer, it's the Player base that decides if an Event is a success or not. 

And not a Spread sheet, not the swollen bank account. 

So, would this Event of WP would have been a success? 

• Cool 6

[BONE]
Players
9 posts
3,911 battles

I like the idea of 3 versions of one ship. The only thing that could be a problem is that all ships are from the same tier.

My idea is to make a tier 5 ship: not to hard to grind (a bit like the Exeter grind) and a good ship. If you want this ship, you have to do some grinding, but it is not necessary to give up your real life. You may spend doubloons on a booster, but it is not necessary.

Then a modernized/upgraded version could be a tier 7 or 8 ship: to complete this you have to grind more and spend doubloons on one booster. You get the options to get the standard tier 7/8 ship. The grinding is doable, but the average player need to play some extra time to get it.

Then a tier 10 version of the ship (another modernization). A setup for grinding like the PR. 

Now everyone has a choice and something to get. Add the option to get the tier 5 ship and after the event upgrade it for coal/doubloons/steel to the tier 7 or 10 version would also be nice.

[CAIN]
Players
4,344 posts
18,372 battles
6 minutes ago, kapnobathrac said:

Cliffs please 

OIP.jpg.ed1219b9130a512dcb493a6b0e0c4fb6.jpg

There you go!

WP is more then keen to satisfy our Players Needs. ^^

• Cool 1

[BONE]
Players
9 posts
3,911 battles

Another thing i was thinking of is replace the coalgathering and make it a dockyardidea.

1. You choose a ship you want to build beforehand. The same ships you can now buy for coal. If you pick a tier 4 or lower it has a relative short buildingtime, if you pick a tier 9 it will go very slowly.

2. Instead of getting coal, you can: simply wait for the ship to be build (could take a year), spend a resource to speed up the building (coal, steel) or spend doubloons to really speed up the process.

Now players have a choice of which ship they get (a BB player probably doesn't want a dd) and at which pace. You may get the ship without doing anything but having patience, or you can get the ship much faster by spending resources. It is all up to the players and since most of the players do not have much patience, resources and money will be spent. 

[CAIN]
Players
4,344 posts
18,372 battles
1 minute ago, Ten_ichigo said:

I like the idea of 3 versions of one ship. The only thing that could be a problem is that all ships are from the same tier.

My idea is to make a tier 5 ship: not to hard to grind (a bit like the Exeter grind) and a good ship. If you want this ship, you have to do some grinding, but it is not necessary to give up your real life. You may spend doubloons on a booster, but it is not necessary.

Then a modernized/upgraded version could be a tier 7 or 8 ship: to complete this you have to grind more and spend doubloons on one booster. You get the options to get the standard tier 7/8 ship. The grinding is doable, but the average player need to play some extra time to get it.

Then a tier 10 version of the ship (another modernization). A setup for grinding like the PR. 

Now everyone has a choice and something to get. Add the option to get the tier 5 ship and after the event upgrade it for coal/doubloons/steel to the tier 7 or 10 version would also be nice.

Not quite, it's two Tier 9 and one Tier 10. 

The way the Event is set up is, that People don't feel like "hardcore" grinding the A variant ( if they want to stay F2P). 

It also "technically" guarantees that you get a TIX ship. 

Now, in order to Prevent some hurt Feelings because someone bought/ grinded a higher Tier ship two of them are set at TIX and one at TX. 

The incentive to spend Money Comes not from the ship itself, the ship is justa Vehicle , but from the rewards you might not be able or even unwilling to unlock by playing. 

Another imporatnat Thing is, that it is technically the same ship. 

It would not be adviseable to make a TV Cruiser, a TVII BB and a TIX DD for instance, cause People might get unhappy with what they got. 

Remember "...the grass is Always greener somewhere else…"

With that in mind, the ship is the same for everyone with a few differences in guns aso. 

Nobody goes home empty handed. 

[BONE]
Players
9 posts
3,911 battles

It would not be adviseable to make a TV Cruiser, a TVII BB and a TIX DD for instance, cause People might get unhappy with what they got: True. I was thinking of a BB or CA that was build around the WW1 (tier 5), updated in the interbellum (tier 7) and updated again in WW2.

I like your idea. I only think if you make it doable for the average player, a tier 9 ship is now to easy to get if you compare it to similar events. The PEF (tier 6) was a tough grind, so a tier 9 grind must be really hard to keep it equal.    

Players
1,467 posts
3,089 battles
40 minuti fa, Jethro_Grey ha scritto:

moonbases ain't cheap y'know

Not if you use scaled-up versions of soccer balls 

I like the Idea in general; there might be a few tweaks to do here and there, but overall, it's not a bad idea. 

[CAIN]
Players
4,344 posts
18,372 battles
22 hours ago, wot_2016_gunner said:

Not if you use scaled-up versions of soccer balls 

I like the Idea in general; there might be a few tweaks to do here and there, but overall, it's not a bad idea. 

A moon base that doesn't look like a Sci-fi Version of a Disney Castle or Parts of Coruscant isn't worth Building. 

Sign in to follow this