You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
VallhallNOP

Why do we play?

13 comments in this topic

[OOPZ]
Players
10 posts
2,417 battles

I understand that this might not get to many positive answers, but frankly, thats fine by me, just wanted to get this out..

Ive been playing wows on and off for some years now, not a good player by any means, but I try to be a teamplayer and have fun while doing it. Also been an avid reader of the forums for about a year now, and have got so many good tips and guidance from more people and threads than i can possibly remember, so to everyone, thank you!

What tends to bug me more and more though is the attitude of the playerbase, please let me explain.

The s**storm about the PR is just the next level of what has been happening for a while now, and I just cant understand why. I of course get that people was dissapointed that the event was grindy, not what was expected/promised etc etc, but the way I see it its a matter of attitude and opinion. I will try to give my attitude towards it, which atleast makes my playing a lot more enjoyable.

PR Directives: Yes its way to extensive, and I didnt have the faintest chance to get it, but i got a ton of flags and prizes along the way, the Gorizia, and last but not least, one of the things that makes this game fun for me, is campaigns, combat missions etc, so i like not "running out" of things to do, so at least this christmas, when i found time to play, there was always an objective to play against.

OP premiums and lines: Smolensk, CV Rework, RU BBs, Thunderer etc etc, the list is probably really long, but the point stands. I dont really mind these at all. Take the smolensk as an example. Yes its absolutely frustrating to play against, but I also like the challenge, trying to figure out how to outplay the "OP ships". Also, i really want it myself, the smolensk and thunderer is probably my main reason to pick more resources on the daily containers, and for me to try to play this game regularly to grind against these. Again, i like long term grinds/goals. 

I dont know if this gives a lot of sense, but I guess what im trying to say is that you, the player can choose. I try to look at the positives of the game, and seeing the level of engagement in this forum, im not alone about thinking there is a lot to love. Just burying oneself in all the things that you dont like is for me not enjoyable, and takes away from the reason to play this game for me. I love this game, the way it looks, the gun/ballistic mechanics, the feeling i get when i make the occational devstrike. Its just satisfying to play. The only thing i struggle with is the lack of willingness to play as a team from some players, and i understand the argument to make WG to make it more rewarding to play as a team, but again, i try to give tips and communicate in chat about strategy and plays, with varying results, but what more can you do?

I would love to hear what you like about the game, and with a positive note, what could  be done to increase your enjoyment. I personally have grown tired of the f*** WG posts, again, i hope noone is forced to play wows against theire will..

There..i said it, feel free to flame me and rage about me being wrong and i dont know what else, i will choose to see it as positive that you guys are engaged and that you care about the game! Also, the ones that agree with me, would love to hear your arguments as well! 

• Cool 4

[NMA]
Players
1,221 posts
18,448 battles
19 minutes ago, VallhallNOP said:

Ive been playing wows on and off for some years now,

Most of the vocal players on the forums are long time veterans, players that played 10k or more matches, players that invested a lot of time and money into this game. Their "hostile" attitude towards WG is cos they care and have passion towards the game they are playing probably since day one. And the actions of WG in the past year or so made them feel, I'm guessing, very much disappointed with the direction wows is heading to.

While you in other hand play a game or two every other week. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, it's just, I understand why you don't see anything wrong with smolensk or PR grind for example.

• Cool 10

Players
1,459 posts
13,916 battles

Absolutely agreed with @quickr here. We get upset because we actually like the game and have concerns about WG's direction killing it by chasing away a critical mass of players.

OP, you're missing a few points.

On PR: people weren't upset that it was grindy. They were upset because the event was set up to lure you into spending money on the PR without even realizing you're sitll not very likely to get it, so now you're in this sunken cost fallacy situation where, if you're not in a situation where you can play your behind off during the holidays every day, you need to drop a lot more money or see your initial investment go to waste. Coupled with misleading articles and announcements published before the event, this was a blatantly scummy bait and switch event. Protip, people don't like being scammed. Posts made by Sub_Octavian and Earl Gray which were downright insulting to the community just poured gasoline on that fire.

OP ships - the problem isn't any OP ship by itself, in my book, but the constant power creep it creates. New resource ships / premiums are being released at an alarming rate, many of them OP. With an increasing number of overpowered ships in the game, you get an effect where old ships that used to be considered good fall completely out of the meta. Another bad thing: we all noticed an increased number of roflstomp matches (where one side just gets annihilated in a few min). This is what you get when you combine a mostly potato player base with increasingly more powerful ships. End result? Less fun for everyone. Which is a shame, fun should be the primary function of any game, no?

Now, yes, community does like to overreact sometimes, but we all know what the internet is like. A smart developer would know how to play around that and avoid bad situations. WG just seems to march straight into them, and then has these geniuses actually go out of their way to troll the community as well. Respect is earned is all I'm saying.

• Cool 3

Players
3,999 posts

because we get a stiffy from shooting broadsides, scoring cits and landing torps

• Funny 1

[ONE2]
Players
3,083 posts
21,068 battles

Well, criticism is always for the best lad. Just on the off chance that someone is actually listening and will end up doing something about it. If everyone was just a bunch of feelgood back-slapping sycophants telling them how great they are at all times, the end result would be much worse. So as far as I am concerned let them blow off some steam and that is just is fine, no need to let it bother you any. Personally, I am more bothered by  the exact opposite - IE, people with an overwhelming boot-licking instinct, than by anything else.:Smile_Default:

And if the players don't point out what is wrong then who will? :cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

[PARAZ]
Players
2,590 posts
12,772 battles
1 hour ago, VallhallNOP said:

PR Directives:

The anger was about the lying and scheming by WG, not the idiot long grind.

And for me personal, anger because they waste vast amounts of time/resources in bs like that, and premium ship spam etc, but don't even vaguely care about more fundamental problems that have been festering for long time now (ingame balance, carriers, the retarded amount of roflstomps, etc)

Take the smolensk as an example. Yes its absolutely frustrating to play against, but I also like the challenge, trying to figure out how to outplay the "OP ships".

Very simply put, you have no idea what you are talking about.

You don't "outplay" a smolensk, just like you don't "outplay" a carrier. Which is exactly what WG wants, no tactics, no convoluted play where you outthink the other, cause that is all bad for their target audience. Just click left mouse button please.

• Cool 3

[OOPZ]
Players
10 posts
2,417 battles
2 minutes ago, Captain_Newman said:

Absolutely agreed with @quickr here. We get upset because we actually like the game and have concerns about WG's direction killing it by chasing away a critical mass of players.

OP, you're missing a few points.

On PR: people weren't upset that it was grindy. They were upset because the event was set up to lure you into spending money on the PR without even realizing you're sitll not very likely to get it, so now you're in this sunken cost fallacy situation where, if you're not in a situation where you can play your behind off during the holidays every day, you need to drop a lot more money or see your initial investment go to waste. Coupled with misleading articles and announcements published before the event, this was a blatantly scummy bait and switch event. Protip, people don't like being scammed. Posts made by Sub_Octavian and Earl Gray which were downright insulting to the community just poured gasoline on that fire.

OP ships - the problem isn't any OP ship by itself, in my book, but the constant power creep it creates. New resource ships / premiums are being released at an alarming rate, many of them OP. With an increasing number of overpowered ships in the game, you get an effect where old ships that used to be considered good fall completely out of the meta. Another bad thing: we all noticed an increased number of roflstomp matches (where one side just gets annihilated in a few min). This is what you get when you combine a mostly potato player base with increasingly more powerful ships. End result? Less fun for everyone. Which is a shame, fun should be the primary function of any game, no?

Now, yes, community does like to overreact sometimes, but we all know what the internet is like. A smart developer would know how to play around that and avoid bad situations. WG just seems to march straight into them, and then has these geniuses actually go out of their way to troll the community as well. Respect is earned is all I'm saying.

Thank you for the respectful answer, I agree that i have a lot less games played than many, and that i might be missing the point somewhat. I also agree with many of your points. I guess what im trying to say is that im having trouble seeing what is to be gained having the very negative focus, i know its hard when you have invested so many hours into something, and it goes the wrong direction in your opinion, ive had it in jobs in the past, but you still have an option, try to se opportunities and be constructive and positive, or quit. Im not saying that people should quit playing, i hope as many as possible continue, but i do think its interesting that some continue, seeing the level of anger and frustration.

The argument that WG tricked the players to pay i dont agree with. I agree that it was a shitty move with what the CCs got tested and showed before the thing went live, and the difference in difficulty was a bad move, but noone was forced to pay, that is a personal choice. 

[OOPZ]
Players
10 posts
2,417 battles
8 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Well, criticism is always for the best lad. Just on the off chance that someone is actually listening and will end up doing something about it. If everyone was just a bunch of feelgood back-slapping sycophants telling them how great they are at all times, the end result would be much worse. So as far as I am concerned let them blow off some steam and that is just is fine, no need to let it bother you any. Personally, I am more bothered by  the exact opposite - IE, people with an overwhelming boot-licking instinct, than by anything else.:Smile_Default:

And if the players don't point out what is wrong then who will? :cap_hmm:

Agreed that one should critizise and voice opinions, but there is a big difference between constructive (though high tempered) feedback, and in essence just saying f* o**. Then again, i dont know if, and how much WG takes this into account in any case, and that i totally think they should do. I do not think we make WG listen more however, if we are just angry and destructive about it.

Players
1,459 posts
13,916 battles
11 minutes ago, VallhallNOP said:

The argument that WG tricked the players to pay i dont agree with. I agree that it was a shitty move with what the CCs got tested and showed before the thing went live, and the difference in difficulty was a bad move, but noone was forced to pay, that is a personal choice. 

Nobody forces people to invest in pyramid or ponzi schemes, either. It's the shady communication that obfuscates key parts to bait people into a situation where they either take a loss or pay through the nose that's at the core of the issue. This event was purposefully designed to bait people in. OFC nobody was forced to opt in, I, for example, haven't, but a lot of people went "oh I'll just get one booster and easily grind the rest" based on WG's news announcements and prior experience with directives. Once they did that, they were in a "pay a lot more or say goodbye to your initial investment" kind of situation. This was obviously designed that way, as well - keep in mind that WG only relented and offered refunds after a giant uproar - they initially refused to do this. Just go look up S_O's initial post about this that was highly disrespectful. Earl Gray, a person who was on their actual payroll, was actually laid off now because of how hard he was trolling the community on twitter. If the community just laid back and took it, he'd still be here trolling us and nobody would have been refunded. Instead, people got their refunds and he trolled himself out of a job. Good riddance, I say, there's a positive change if I've ever seen one.

This is why complaints and criticism are constructive. Sure, point out the positives too, but criticism is here to help diagnose and fix problems, people need to get out of the naive mindset of "this is negativity so it it's bad". It's not, and it's not.

• Cool 3

[UNICS]
Players
1,350 posts
19,971 battles

havent played for 10 days now in woWs , a new record for me xD.

Breaking the addiction..

• Cool 3

[POI--]
Players
1,145 posts
9,560 battles

There..i said it, feel free to flame me and rage about me being wrong and i dont know what else, i will choose to see it as positive that you guys are engaged and that you care about the game! Also, the ones that agree with me, would love to hear your arguments as well! 

Nobody will flame you when you have an opinion and describe why in a normal tone. For me personally i play WoWs since the beta and had some breaks here and there, but i meet many friendly people who are fun to play with. Also why probably many people are more hostile to WG, because they repeat the same and exact same mistakes they did in World of Tanks. And people who invested love and passion in this game and probably some Euros are just scared that Wargaming will ruin this game as they did with World of Tanks. So i can completly understand it. The Main Problem is that apparently WG is out of touch with their playerbase like every other big gaming company and that is very sad.
Also the playerbase switched rapitly that people migrated from World of Tanks to World of Warships, because at the moment it is a better free to play game. I remember when a CC played the WiP Bismarck the first time and everyone said in the chat:" wow look the mighty Bismarck such a beautiful ship." and he was primary a WoT streamer so he had no idea how everything worked so he told them this in the chat. The answer would be impossible today some just answered: " no problem dude just have fun together and try our best to win, we are all here to enjoy the game."

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
3,083 posts
21,068 battles
59 minutes ago, VallhallNOP said:

Agreed that one should critizise and voice opinions, but there is a big difference between constructive (though high tempered) feedback, and in essence just saying f* o**. Then again, i dont know if, and how much WG takes this into account in any case, and that i totally think they should do. I do not think we make WG listen more however, if we are just angry and destructive about it.

True, there are always some people, who overdo it. But then again sometimes the shock tactics may even work, who knows? And in any case that is the price we pay for free speech and while people have the right to speak, we also have the right to stop reading/listening too and just ignore the worst whenever that suits us so I always figgered that's fair enough then (I am very VERY good at not listening, as my wife can testify). Hhehehe! :Smile_Default:

I guess some people are just more excitable than others, that's all. No need for us to mind that overly much. :cap_popcorn:

Well, as long as pop-corn and valium last annyhoot...:Smile_trollface: