Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NicramDuel

Another PLAYTo Rico arrives, along with some thoughts

23 comments in this topic

[HNFC]
Players
243 posts
17,790 battles

I now own one of the very few PLAYTo Rico's in wows. Not a single doubloon or irl cash spent on the ship, but the last part of the grind was very taxing and miserable. 

Spoiler

shot-20_01.14_01_08.59-0399.thumb.jpg.db88d3fd7a6e3fbdf534f91adeefa5ed.jpg

shot-20_01.14_01_09.37-0030.thumb.jpg.3a5b0bf0a57c0b9709349e445c4d5558.jpg

1810031683_wowscalc.thumb.png.59a8b0647274c64fbaa9bc47ac564a53.png

Somewhere during Christmas, I made a remark which has since become a very strong belief of mine: No single Puerto Rico in the game is owned by a sane person.

- You have either spent doubloons/cash to further encourage wargambling on doing terribly selfish, one-sided, similar moneymaking schemes,

- Or you have lost part of your humanity along the grind - if no sooner, then you lost it during dir 7. 

I had a very generous time-schedule during the holidays, both in terms of work and family. Also, a lot of my current in-game goals seemed to coincide with the directives, so I started off with very favourable chances. In the end, I did manage to acquire the ship, and had fun in 5 out of the 7 directives, also being happy about the rewards along the way.

That is it. That is about all I have to say in favor of this event. All else is negative, and my post is not about the above success (which in other aspects is a complete failure), but about what follows

Spoiler

- The whole nature of the event was disgusting. It was designed specifically to WORK THROUGH the holiday season, and not enjoy playing. Hardly any chance to adjust your play according to IRL life. If you would have had 3 days running to play, too bad. Next directive is in 4 days. You can't grind ahead of time when you have the rare opportunity.

- Directive 4. The ONLY directive WITHOUT A SHORTCUT (no flags, camos, choice of game modes, nothing). And wg just had to set this directive DURING THE ACTUAL CHRISTMAS DAYS! You were doomed to the base exp generated by your teammates, and only the hope that you'll be done in less hours than more. All you could do was perhaps enter ranked and be done quickly, but there was a very good reason behind it all why you would never lose a star, and can only speed up this directive with so much wins before ranking out and going back to randoms. 

- Alternating restrictions for missions made planning harder (I know, I should learn to read).Multiple times, within one directive, some missions were allowed to be done in, for instance, ranked, while others not. Restricting 20202020 credits to t10 in the last directive also complicated things. if you didn't plan well(I failed), or simply didn't have enough time (I failed), you would be forced to ditch a techtree grind for T10'ing through most of the directive. I could sense a wg developer's attitude in my bones: "Oooooh, let's tinker into this requirement, ooooh, maybe we can catch at least one of 'em off-guard, and that's another 15k doubloons-worth of money in our pocket!" Ultimately, this approach didn't cut me off from the PR, but apart from grinding the italian cruisers and regrinding the british BB's...I was denied progress in EVERY OTHER goal I had (have) due to the lack of time. As dumb as it may sound after completing the grind, I initially dedicated no more than a single day for each directive for all directives apart from #7, and I managed to keep this up. Otherwise, wife, baby, and boss would have hung, drawn and quartered me for this blasphemy. I wasn't going to dedicate more than what was necessary for this insanity - even if it meant temporarily postponing personal ingame goals.

- REMOVAL OF DOUBLOON BOOSTERS at the MOMENT dir 7 went live. Even if it was pre-stated. This did not, and wouldn't have affected me - I would have dropped PR all together Still, this was a disgusting, money-hungry approach. We had no clear indication that dir 7 would still have only 5 missions to do, or will wg pull the last trick on us, and will require us to do 6 or more missions (thus, making free exp flags or 15k doubloons necessary). You might have something going wrong in the last few days (yes, most of us have families), and you might need one of the boosters. A 6k one would have saved you on tuesday the 7th, 5:59 server time, but at let's say, same day 10:00 something happens...well, double doubloons for you in cost, silly player! Again, a final play with the uncertainty factor and sunk cost fallacy. 

- No clear context phrases from wg's part. "You have 3 days to complete the directives if you want to...blabla". 3 days as in? 72 hours? Or from 6:00 ST on the day of directive-opening to midnight of the third calendarical day? Or a mere 48 hours and 1 seconds (6:00 ST Tuesday (Day 1) through Wednesday (Day 2) to Thursday 6:00 ST (technically, this is the third day). Also unless you really calculated deeply, or were rabidly fast with all directives, you wouldn't know of a BIG SECRET: You CAN GET PR in just _6_ directives WITHOUT PAYING. I fell short by 22 hours only - and this is where the Christmas days come in for me: had I had the time to do Dir 4 earlier than on the last day before Dir 5, I could have also evaded the horrors of dir 7. Of course, openly stating this before the public would have made the grind seem easier... and thus, less profit. Clear approach, wg. 

The worst part in this entire $hitfest, however is the fact that WG has finally overstepped a certain boundary. Not that they usually care about falling lower and lower with each event as the company tries to milk the last few drops out of their cows with shredders. They'll continue on and on (see for instance the upcoming british heavy cruiser event: limited gainable resources vs unlimited lootbox chances - no guarantee of any ship-reward whatsoever). What was special this time, however, was that WG actually managed to pit us, the playerbase out against each other. On grounds that are separate from the game this time. Whales who boosted, or even outright purchased a PAYTo Rico have never been hated more, and have been (and are being) harassed both via AP/HE salvos, friendly fire, and verbal abuse since the event kicked off. The very few, approximately 150 players who even finished the 7th directive (and perhaps fewer still who did everything on time and earned a PLAYTo Rico for "free") are no different.

Spoiler

On a side-note, I believe they deserve it perfectly for financing not only this current scheme of WG, but for backing up the prequels of the PR event as well (filling the missing gap for Benham with approximately 10k doubloonworth of cash if they missed out more than 2 days in summer, lootboxing their way to rare ships during multiple holidays, and paying a single penny/cent/etc on future techtree ships while they are on pre-release during any such event). In all honesty, and not completely without reason, all of us who grinded this reward have also contributed to future events, by demonstrating - and thus stating - that even under such inhuman conditions, during important holidays and with brutal numbers that not even wg staff have attempted to pull off...these crazy grinds can actually be completed. At a personal level, subjectively, I would consider whales to be worse than grinders, but in the end there's little difference between a burgler and a thief.

With every event we come to regard wg as less and less in our eyes. Seemingly, this will continue on. Where are the great events like the Wooster introduction? Or the simple DOY-grind? Gone. Because they only provide rewards, not income. Fair. Stupid, but fair. Instead of so many other opportunities for making money (Personalized MM features, unique permacamos granting 100% xp, free exp, commander exp together, a simple 100% permacamo at 5k doubloons at all tiers instead of just 9 and 10, etc), this is what we're left with after their finance department has forwarded thier income results to management...

...But NEVER... NEVER has a wows event triggered so much hate towards it that we, the playerbase have actually started hating EACH OTHER as a direct consequence! This is a line that has never been crossed before - now it has. It should stop here. It would be great if suddenly, we could all just revert back to where we were before this event. But that won't happen. Some people bought the PR and now own it. Some have grinded it and now own it. Some people do not own it. Not only was it not free, but it was hidden behind numerous walls, behind such a horrible flavor that one way or another, EVERYONE has a bad taste in their mouth after this wows-style "holiday". If only I could come up with any solution to bridge this new gap between the playerbase - one that was so "festively" implemented "with good intentions" on wg's behalf. I can't.

Things will only get worse. wg will not stop. The only, single lesson they've probably learned is that next time they need a truly OP ship to open even more wallets, and get more to give up their lives for some pixels that will be non-existent in 10 years time. I am not a WG-employee, but mark my words, possibly bookmark this thread for the future: The next such event is coming in summer. They have even hinted it: "it takes ample working hours of our designers to provide a single ship for the dockyard". During the summer holiday season, when most of us have already booked a trip. Directives will be just as hard, price of boosters may be raised...and the ship will be a sore loss to pass, unlike montlaska.

Spoiler

79805297_119877759492437_2425076137483829248_n.jpg.284930bf620bf6e9d288a78b062e0149.jpg

I hope most of us can move on from hating whales, hating grinders, hating haters, hating something, hating everything, etc...and just focus on adapting to wg's increasing inhumany. Or let go of the tension the company is spreading and simply have fun. This is a good community that has weathered many storms by wg. Let's not drop now. 

• Cool 23
  • Bad 1

[CAIN]
Players
4,371 posts
18,477 battles

Considering myself a intelligent Person who goes for the Victory instead for petty Revenge, and being a nice and forgiving Person (some even say i'm about as forgiving as that famous dude who forgives every mistake, i think he's called Dutch Vader, or was it Dart Vader?).

As a owner of the PR, i understand the Focus fire one receives, and while i won't jeopardize a win just to shoot the PR, i will however take shots at it, if the opportunity arises, like i would do with any other ship. 

Maybe i'm not smiling while Shooting other ships, but that doesn't mean anything. ^^

Also, kudos on the Free2Rico, quite an achievement. 

• Cool 9

Players
1,428 posts
6,679 battles

I especially like the last comment on your Excel sheet, regarding the male sex organ of the mother of WG.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BIF]
Players
308 posts
4,587 battles
5 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

I especially like the last comment on your Excel sheet, regarding the male sex organ of the mother of WG.

Made my day, too :Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BOATX]
Beta Tester
5,170 posts
23,679 battles

For me, even with 2 gold boosters, the grind was still mental. 

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
5,436 posts
13,399 battles
1 hour ago, Ocsimano18 said:

regarding the male sex organ of the mother of WG.

<pauses to look, and reach for Google translate>

Bwahahahaha!

:Smile_honoring:

• Funny 2

Players
56 posts
6,386 battles

Hello Nicram! 

So I see you and I have the same sentiment... good.

És jah, utolsó sor sokat elárul az eventről

• Cool 1

[RODS]
Players
1,243 posts
7,217 battles

Didnt feel like grinding for 150 hours (time I just didn´t have) Came to the conclusion than an extra day at work would result in more money than the 35k dubloons would cost, so i Payed To Rico

[COMFY]
Players
792 posts
2,025 battles

Madman. Absolute madman. You get a +1 still. I agree that they are probably going to ramp up difficulty even harder with the next even by the fact that you grinder it out for free.

and yes while teamkilling is seen rarely, however if one of these PRs turns up, I can garrentee that There is a 60% chance that there will be a teamkill attempt, or 95% chance the PR gets the attention of the whole enemy team, to the point where they are willing to throw their own boats away just to kill it. In fact, I even have a story for it.

in my first battle with a PR on my side(no CV) the only ”teamkill” attempt was  done by me, but purposely lead far so shells landed in the water at 2km away from his bow, single turret only, mostly to make a statement, otherwise decided to support him cause MM moniter says that he’s  good.(a lot of colourful words directed to it however)(do also note that MMM also seems to say that red team are generally bad in terms of w8 or hidden stats, green team is ~50% which may explain some of the things I mentioned)

what happened next Is the amount of tunnel vision shown by the red team to a PR is unbelievable. one point Worcester charged straight at me while the PR is milling off somewhere behind me(focus fire of course, I moved up to draw attention which did little) Obviously Worcester vs Yamato is Yamato decisive victory, and that guy said that I should let him to kill the PR. My reply: “I hate the event for the PR and the player for buying it, but not the boat itself, and he is green team for the match so he will receive my support to the best of my limited ability”

next one on the list is Kermlin. He steamed full speed ahead towards the PR, who has long realised the entire red team does not like him, is kiting away. By this time I have moved to a flank as a attempt to generate crossfire, noticed Kermlin showing full broadside to me, and put the first salvo into the water, before the next salvo removes most of his HP, and was killed off by PR himself. Zao came charging through gets spotted, and gets deleted by another BB somewhere. PR uses radar and finds 2 DDs just as he sails into our Smolensk smoke, and our Dimitri, Smolensk and PR lit them up(I popped a salvo in as well for more dmg). 

Is the shitfest over? Nope

i went around a corner of a island, and found a monty who is in position to delete me IF he had chosen to point his guns my way and use his sealth, but nooo, he was now blind firing into the smoke where our PR had gone in(our PR ahead long left the smoke for a island by now) and was so tunnelled to the point that I basically sailed to within 4km of him IN A FRIGGIN YAMATO( all their DDs, and at this point the red team was mostly dead from yoloing), said konichiwa and nuked him to oblivion.

did not do much else apart from sailing about gathering caps since red team were way out of effective range and are mostly dead

the greatest irony? the green PR somehow survived though all that to the battle’s end with 2000HP remaining. If I had actually decided to hit him directly with a overpen he may not have lived because of that. I did lose all of my karma presumably from actively helping the PR, but I did gain one karma, presumably from PR himself

• Cool 1

Players
265 posts
5,044 battles

Wow. Playing as much as I wanted during the event, I finished directive 1 and 2 or 3 objectives of directive 2.

No matter how much we [edited] on the boards, the PR-type grind has proven viable and - no doubt - hugely profitable. Expect more.

• Cool 2

[BODEM]
Players
746 posts
6,761 battles
13 hours ago, NicramDuel said:

...But NEVER... NEVER has a wows event triggered so much hate towards it that we, the playerbase have actually started hating EACH OTHER as a direct consequence! This is a line that has never been crossed before - now it has. It should stop here. It would be great if suddenly, we could all just revert back to where we were before this event. But that won't happen. Some people bought the PR and now own it. Some have grinded it and now own it. Some people do not own it. Not only was it not free, but it was hidden behind numerous walls, behind such a horrible flavor that one way or another, EVERYONE has a bad taste in their mouth after this wows-style "holiday". If only I could come up with any solution to bridge this new gap between the playerbase - one that was so "festively" implemented "with good intentions" on wg's behalf. I can't.

Things will only get worse. wg will not stop. The only, single lesson they've probably learned is that next time they need a truly OP ship to open even more wallets, and get more to give up their lives for some pixels that will be non-existent in 10 years time. I am not a WG-employee, but mark my words, possibly bookmark this thread for the future: The next such event is coming in summer. They have even hinted it: "it takes ample working hours of our designers to provide a single ship for the dockyard". During the summer holiday season, when most of us have already booked a trip. Directives will be just as hard, price of boosters may be raised...and the ship will be a sore loss to pass, unlike montlaska.

Reveal hidden contents

79805297_119877759492437_2425076137483829248_n.jpg.284930bf620bf6e9d288a78b062e0149.jpg

I hope most of us can move on from hating whales, hating grinders, hating haters, hating something, hating everything, etc...and just focus on adapting to wg's increasing inhumany. Or let go of the tension the company is spreading and simply have fun. This is a good community that has weathered many storms by wg. Let's not drop now. 

I'm sorry, but while I do respect you wrote the part about whales and grinders show WG that even under the PR event circumstances "play WG's game", you then go and throw all that understanding out of the way with your last paragraphs, saying that WG pitches the community against eachother. WG does not do any such things. It's the gamers that willingly choose to "play WG's game" that have to take responsibility for their own actions. WG does facilitate it, but it's the players choice to actually participate. Nobody held a gun against their head. Everyone knew it was going to be horrible grind from the start. It's like someone putting a gun on the table and you pick it up and shoot someone, then you go "It was this bad person's fault for us shooting eachother!". 

And I know a perfect way for you to bridge the gap between the player base: Stop dancing to WG's tunes! It's simple, you don't play the stupid things WG thinks up, then nobody will hold you responsible for doing it! Stop acting like the innocent one. You are the one "playing WG's game", then you are the one that is at fault. So look to yourself first.

"Things will only get worse, WG will not stop" Not if you keep consenting with their ideas by playing their stupid events. "I hope most of us can move on from hating whales, hating grinders, hating haters, hating something, hating everything, etc" Again, stop playing WG's stupid events. If you refuse getting the prizes connected to the crappy events, nobody will hate on you. ...and just focus on adapting to wg's increasing inhumany."  Don't blame WG for your inabillity to refuse WG's crappy events. This is mostly a good community, but the priority is not focussing on how bad WG is. It is looking at which part of the community just can't help themselves by buying everything that WG drops into their stores or by playing every single community dishonoring event. If everybody stops playing these evnts, WG will stop putting money and anpower in creating them.

I do wish all the PR owners would stop blaming WG with these "I'm a victim" treads and have a good look towards themselves and their own accountability instead of shoving the blame on WG for their own actions. Stop coming here and defend yourselfs for getting the PR. I don't mind you getting the damn ship, but if you really had to get that one cursed ship, at all costs, then man up and take the heat that comes with it like a responsible person. If you all do value what other people think of you and you really want WG to stop with these kinds of actions and events, refuse to play (along with) them. 

• Cool 3

[LUZ1]
Players
572 posts
11,234 battles
44 minutes ago, FukushuNL said:

I'm sorry, but while I do respect you wrote the part about whales and grinders show WG that even under the PR event circumstances "play WG's game", you then go and throw all that understanding out of the way with your last paragraphs, saying that WG pitches the community against eachother. WG does not do any such things. It's the gamers that willingly choose to "play WG's game" that have to take responsibility for their own actions. WG does facilitate it, but it's the players choice to actually participate. Nobody held a gun against their head. Everyone knew it was going to be horrible grind from the start. It's like someone putting a gun on the table and you pick it up and shoot someone, then you go "It was this bad person's fault for us shooting eachother!". 

And I know a perfect way for you to bridge the gap between the player base: Stop dancing to WG's tunes! It's simple, you don't play the stupid things WG thinks up, then nobody will hold you responsible for doing it! Stop acting like the innocent one. You are the one "playing WG's game", then you are the one that is at fault. So look to yourself first.

"Things will only get worse, WG will not stop" Not if you keep consenting with their ideas by playing their stupid events. "I hope most of us can move on from hating whales, hating grinders, hating haters, hating something, hating everything, etc" Again, stop playing WG's stupid events. If you refuse getting the prizes connected to the crappy events, nobody will hate on you. ...and just focus on adapting to wg's increasing inhumany."  Don't blame WG for your inabillity to refuse WG's crappy events. This is mostly a good community, but the priority is not focussing on how bad WG is. It is looking at which part of the community just can't help themselves by buying everything that WG drops into their stores or by playing every single community dishonoring event. If everybody stops playing these evnts, WG will stop putting money and anpower in creating them.

I do wish all the PR owners would stop blaming WG with these "I'm a victim" treads and have a good look towards themselves and their own accountability instead of shoving the blame on WG for their own actions. Stop coming here and defend yourselfs for getting the PR. I don't mind you getting the damn ship, but if you really had to get that one cursed ship, at all costs, then man up and take the heat that comes with it like a responsible person. If you all do value what other people think of you and you really want WG to stop with these kinds of actions and events, refuse to play (along with) them. 

The problem is what is called in psychology 'bounded rationality'. Humans are only partly rational beings and human weeknesess can be actively exploited.

Any provider of a substance or service for which the human brain is vulnerable, be it tabacco, alcohol, drugs, gambling or games, thus has a moral choice to make. Do I maximize the exploitation of human weaknesses, or do I pose certain ethical limits on what I do.

I believe WG has a serious problem in the ethical department. Any legitimate firm that trades in a business that can do potential harm to humans, needs to have an explicit ethical code and staff who are tasked to guard the rules of conduct. Facebook is now in serious trouble because they failed miserably in this area.

OP makes clear WG is also failing miserably. They have a choice to make. Maximize profits or have a more balanced set of corporate goals.

I am not optimistic about their choices. It thus is a great pity that the producer of a game I really like in its fundamentals seems to be going off the deep end in its unethical conduct.

• Cool 8

[INTRO]
Players
176 posts
5,669 battles
1 hour ago, Camperdown said:

Humans are only partly rational beings and human weeknesess can be actively exploited.

(...)

I am not optimistic about their choices. It thus is a great pity that the producer of a game I really like in its fundamentals seems to be going off the deep end in its unethical conduct.

The last decade has seen very concerning progress of using sociotechniques or to say straight - exploiting peoole - in so called 'free to play' games.

You know something is deeply wrong when you see how much money ordinary guys throw into these games. Even more, they feel proud of it. 

We failed as gaming community. We let vendors like WG push the line. I still remember very well when Lowe was about to be introduced in WoT, and the shock it cretaed when its price of 7500 gold was announced which was higher anyone expected. The entire community condemned this move from WG. And then people just starting to buy Lowe, KV-5 and soon appeared other items. After a while WG realised the 'market' (read: us fools) will allow for more. And the price of Lowe and newer T8 tanks almost doubled...

Remember this when opening your wallet. There are no brakes in the milking train...

• Cool 2

[LUZ1]
Players
572 posts
11,234 battles
2 minutes ago, Vbeest said:

The last decade has seen very concerning progress of using sociotechniques or to say straight - exploiting peoole - in so called 'free to play' games.

You know something is deeply wrong when you see how much money ordinary guys throw into these games. Even more, they feel proud of it. 

We failed as gaming community. We let vendors like WG push the line. I still remember very well when Lowe was about to be introduced, and the shock it cretaed when its price of 7500 gold was announced which was higher anyone expected. The entire community condemned this move from WG. And then people just starting to buy Lowe, KV-5 and soon appeared other items. After a while WG realised the 'market' (read: us fools) will allow for more. And the price of Lowe and newer T8 tanks almost doubled...

Remember this when opening your wallet. There are no brakes in the milking train...

I am not spending a penny on WG. It is F2P for me.

• Cool 3

[INTRO]
Players
176 posts
5,669 battles
12 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

I am not spending a penny on WG. It is F2P for me.

And we owe you all as the community. I myself, despite knowing how this works, can't say the same about me...

Bad products, bad business decisions should be punished not rewarded!

• Cool 1

[ALYEN]
Players
1,619 posts
3,579 battles

I did not have the time nor did I want to sacrifice my gameplay goals for the PR. Still I was heavily affected by all the others that did.

• Cool 2

[HNFC]
Players
243 posts
17,790 battles
1 hour ago, FukushuNL said:

Firstly, I would like to say that in all honesty, I DO understand your viewpoint. It is close to what I believe in, too. The less players partaking in any such event - be it via cash or grind - the more of a hint WG recieves that they are not in the right lane. At this point, I want to get two things cleared out of the way before any further argument: 

- No self-cleansing or claiming of innocence has happened, nor will occur on my behalf. "At a personal level, subjectively, I would consider whales to be worse than grinders, but in the end there's little difference between a burgler and a thief." I understand that by doing the grind, I have, too, contributed towards future events such as this. No martyrdom intended. On the contrary - I'm even proud that, solely regarding the reward itself, I achieved it, and have thus turned to the dark side.

This, while adhering to my two principals: Not a single penny towards wg as long as they act like this, and no more than 24 hours for the first 6 directives. 7th can have more, due to the holiday season having ended. It's not this grind in itself what I hated in this event. A bit later about that, though.

- Secondly, initially, I wasn't in it for the grind itself. I was particularly infuriated by all the bull$hit wg did during the introductory phase and actual process of the event that I very quickly made the choice of either getting it for free while having fun, or not getting the PR at all. So I sticked to what I initially wanted to do during part of the holidays: I had (and still have) a single goal left ingame which is not linked to anything else. Get all T10's. Italian cruisers, french dd's, the three CV's that I otherwise grind in coop since reaching t8 via Killer Whale, and getting the non-cash high-tier reward ships (colbert is my current aim, all I need is to re-finish french and english BB's). Nearly each directive gave a chance to focus on one of the silver trees, and with me actually having time these holidays, I decided to merge the goals with the tasks. At first glance, they seemed perfectly doable. Had I known... A bit later about this, too. 

"but it's the players choice to actually participate. Nobody held a gun against their head. Everyone knew it was going to be horrible grind from the start. It's like someone putting a gun on the table and you pick it up and shoot someone, then you go "It was this bad person's fault for us shooting eachother!"

I disagree. Under the given circumstances, the only real option anyone had besides quitting wows all together was to suffer. One way or the other. You can buy the PR, and let both your wallet suffer, and your fun as others bash you for it. You can grind the PR, and likely lose your sanity in the process at some point, more often than not doing something you will soon get bored of and not have fun doing it. And you can choose not to get the PR, and feel robbed by wg that you didn't have the chance to get a free t10 ship. because that's what they initially promised, and so far, it has nearly always (apart from benham) been easily achievable. The few obvious and numerous sneaky walls wg rose to prevent an easy PR-haul was what truly infuriated many players (myself included). It was not the fact of a grind in itself that caused the anger - it was how this grind was designed. So the example would perhaps be better like this: Someone put a gun, a sword and a chainsaw on the table. And you are forced to either use one of them against someone (choose which of the three options you'll take during this, or any such event), or you will be instantly killed by the referee and removed from the room (you quit wows). 

"Again, stop playing WG's stupid events. If you refuse getting the prizes connected to the crappy events, nobody will hate on you. ...and just focus on adapting to wg's increasing inhumany." Don't blame WG for your inabillity to refuse WG's crappy events."

I disagree again. It is not the event, or even the grind that is a problem. On the contrary, as far as I see. WG, with all its spreadsheets, must have valid data on just how many people actually COMPLETE an event (without aid I mean), and how many used financial methods to fill in the gaps. If a mere 150 players being able to complete the 7 directives out of a server population of 100k+ (those who log on at least once every few weeks) doesn't provide a clear indication that this was truly overcalibrated, I don't know what will. WG will, naturally create more events like this, but you can mark my words - these are not, even in the least, created to sate the hunger of 150 players. Our part in this is providing the alibi that it can be done, and that's where I'm okay with taking the blame. If there isn't a single one of the 150 players completing an event, then it'll just go back to cossack-style: "no one can complete this for free, spend 1 euro, and you'll have the ship". The real problem with these events is the buyout option, that such rough grinds tend to trigger walletplay. The more that is gained, the better the event for wg. And the less chances we'll ever have to get a fun event. I am extremely against this. Hence my lack of benham. Oh god did I want that torpflooder. But when I was facing penalty for having a life, I refused to pay the 10k doubloons, even if that is but half a day's work-income for me. "Agree to grinds, screw paywalls and gambling", as far as I'm concerned. Many others have, however payed for it partially, as have they for PR. As long as this continues, these events will keep pouring. Alibi included or not.

"Don't blame WG for your inabillity to refuse WG's crappy events."

I wouldn't call this an inability of refusal. With all relevant ships researched, only a handful of otherwise unenjoyed t8's and t9's left to be tiered out, and yet with a still lingering interest for this game, my choices are generally limited.

-Sealclubbing at low tiers? I hate wg, but I'm not yet at the level where I am ready to contribute to killing off any newcomers, and hoping to choke the game in the long run. 

-Op-shipping all day long at high tiers? Did that for the first year of my wows'ing. Nearly 1k battles in Kutuzov. Gets boring eventually. I have Smolensk, Stalingrad, Kremlin, whatnot, my stats with them speak for themselves. 

-Squadding up? See sealclubbing above.

All I do anymore is use a small fragment of the gargantuan coal/steel/fexp fleet I have to grind out the 3 daily containers and 2 daily missions (usually no more than an hour and a half a day), and do operations every now and again. Can't really be bothered by ranked, CB's are becoming rarer and rarer...so any event, however crappy it may be, does bring some thrill, and if the rewards are fit, I am happy to engage. If not, I do not. See filth event. The level of grind due to the lootboxes were so insane, with the rewards not truly cutting it for me, and most importantly: the uncertainty factor of exit camping...I didn't participate in that event whatsoever. I enjoy most events, and if the reward is useful/nice/deemed by myself to be realistically obtainable concerning irl time, I will grind them in the future. My entire gamestyle, economy have been tailored/set up to compete with good chances in any event that isn't focused on sitting you down every single day for an entire month. I have, or will very shortly, in a matter of weeks have a ship available for any possible directive mission (apart from t10 carriers). I have been saving my special flags along with 200+supercamos (spring sky, mosaic,asian lantern) for a very long time just in case such an event would ever occur, and am still sitting on decent reserves after the PR event. This is not boasting, this is just one playstyle. Some use these for boosting techtree grinds. Others (like me, earlier) use them to grind free exp in easy operations. I just sit on them and wait for events where they are most needed to keep the transition from fun to frustrating as far away as possible. 

Spoiler

shot-20_01.15_10_58.10-0705.thumb.jpg.05c14eba8fd70994f57eb47e44fbc75a.jpg

"If everybody stops playing these evnts, WG will stop putting money and anpower in creating them."

Wrong. I apologize for putting this so bluntly. Wg doesn't care about who plays them and who does not. They only care about how much money is generated. Hell, if not a single Rico was grinded during this event, partially or fully, but at least 500 of them sold for 58k doubloons each, WG would have already called it a day. 

" if you really had to get that one cursed ship, at all costs, then man up and take the heat that comes with it like a responsible person."

Not only should this part not be a problem...it actually implies quite some interesting possibilities regarding ingame salty tear-harvesting, should I ever seriously engage in taking this ship into randoms.

"If you all do value what other people think of you and you really want WG to stop with these kinds of actions and events, refuse to play (along with) them. "

Our views are almost identical. I would only remove the "L" from "play", and the sentence could have directly come from my mind and keyboard. If you all do value what other people think of you and you really want WG to stop with these kinds of actions and events, refuse to pay (along with) them. 

• Cool 1

[HNFC]
Players
243 posts
17,790 battles
2 hours ago, Vbeest said:

We failed as gaming community. We let vendors like WG push the line. I still remember very well when Lowe was about to be introduced in WoT, and the shock it cretaed when its price of 7500 gold was announced which was higher anyone expected. The entire community condemned this move from WG. And then people just starting to buy Lowe, KV-5 and soon appeared other items. After a while WG realised the 'market' (read: us fools) will allow for more. And the price of Lowe and newer T8 tanks almost doubled...

This exactly.

And wg was very shrewed in "asking us" just how stupid we are.

Cossack.

wg: "guys, we never did this before, we wanna try something new. Would you be willing to, even if for a single euro, after a long grind, open your wallets to get a high-tier, very good performance, premium ship?".

community: "screw you, wg". Forums burn. Wallets open. 

Benham.

wg: "guys, you answered "yes" to our previous question. We would now like to ask you, if you, for an even higher tier, even better dd* (*in some aspects), would be willing to pay a decent premium price? Of course, we are generally giving it out for free™."

community: "screw you, wg" Forums burn. Wallets open.

PR.

wg: "guys, you answered "yes" to our previous question. Next question: just how much are you willing to pay us for an even higher, impossibly higher, even better* (*uh, never mind) dd** (** umm, never mind we only design ships, we don't know our own game actually)? Of course, we are generally handing this one out for free™, too.

community: "screw you wg". Forums burn. Wallets open.

Future.

wg: Thank you guys for your generous feedback! Your answeres are important to us, and we value your opinions! No more questions asked, here's the next 20 T10 payfests. 

• Cool 4

[BOATX]
Beta Tester
5,170 posts
23,679 battles

Because of all the rage, most players did not realise this was the first tier 10 ship that you could buy with real money. 

• Cool 2

Players
265 posts
5,044 battles
1 hour ago, NicramDuel said:

This exactly.

And wg was very shrewed in "asking us" just how stupid we are.

Cossack.

wg: "guys, we never did this before, we wanna try something new. Would you be willing to, even if for a single euro, after a long grind, open your wallets to get a high-tier, very good performance, premium ship?".

community: "screw you, wg". Forums burn. Wallets open. 

Benham.

wg: "guys, you answered "yes" to our previous question. We would now like to ask you, if you, for an even higher tier, even better dd* (*in some aspects), would be willing to pay a decent premium price? Of course, we are generally giving it out for free™."

community: "screw you, wg" Forums burn. Wallets open.

PR.

wg: "guys, you answered "yes" to our previous question. Next question: just how much are you willing to pay us for an even higher, impossibly higher, even better* (*uh, never mind) dd** (** umm, never mind we only design ships, we don't know our own game actually)? Of course, we are generally handing this one out for free™, too.

Future.

wg: Thank you guys for your generous feedback! Your answeres are important to us, and we value your opinions! No more questions asked, here's the next 20 T10 payfests. 

Nail, head, hammer, hit it squarely etc.

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
5,779 posts
7,334 battles

If I see you in your FREE-2-RICO you will get a +1. 

Doesn't mean I'll not still harvest your HP from my Russian Bias Smollenski or CV... :Smile_trollface:

Yes yes, I know, go to Gulag... :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

[BOBS3]
Beta Tester
501 posts
16,962 battles

the sane amongst us got the freemium t7 as is xmas traditon, the steps beyond were just noise once i dismisse the possibility of the grind to to RL

Sign in to follow this