Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Jethro_Grey

2019 - a year in retrospect

25 comments in this topic

Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

I can be really condensed here and still bring over the message: it was utter SH1T. 

Best thing that happened was the "recruitment center", which coincidentally encompasses and embraces perfectly WG's stance of appreciating the veterans and those who stuck around with the game when things got rocky & messy: "get rewards by not playing yourself". So that's what I'm doing now, and it works marvellously. I've gotten more (useful) stuff via the RC than I've gotten for actually playing myself.

[KAKE]
Players
2,789 posts
6,795 battles

Missed opportunity to take a page out of WeRateDogs' book and give Puerto Rico event 13/10 turds.

[SINT]
Players
1,068 posts
22,826 battles

Short story:

2019 players: REEEEEEE

2020 WG: hold my vodka, spreadsheets say they have fun...

[COMFY]
Players
793 posts
2,079 battles

Missle ships.

sit all the way at the back of the map and spam missles at each other.

also dumpster fire will grow to the size of the fires that are raging in Australia

and then grow so the dumpster fire covers the whole world.

then the game may probably die

if not becomes subscription only.

at this point I definitely know that WG will no longer listen to good suggestions 

so as jingles said, “if it is worth doing, it’s worth doing yourself”

In the far future I attempt to create a warships game, if none others have done so by then.

[CAIN]
Players
4,926 posts
20,778 battles

Damn, forgot to add my opinion About the NTC/ RB thingy. 

Added to OP, so you don't have to search for it in the OP.

NTC

WG, in their infinite wisdom, decided that lower Tiers are not populated enough, so everyone should grind the lines they already went through again.

As reward, People get Modules for their ships which makes ships even stronger, compared to ships that haven't such Upgrades. 

Wg also wanted to give everyone premium consumeables for free, while removing the stock ones to balans out the Advantage Players with prem consumeables have. 

A Cookie for the one who finds the Point where WG contradicts themselfs. 

Real reason for this: Moneys. 

A Player who wants that super-module badly, will either grind through the lower Tiers and be spending camos, credits, Signals, while being Food for lower Tier CVs (those Players Need to be satisfied after all, since smart Players just skip the lower Tiers due to CV infestation), or FREE XP their way to the module. 

Win-Win for WG, as not everyone has enough FREE XP, so People will buy Dubloons to convert. 

A massive $hitstorm later, WG backed down and turned the NTC into the Research Bureau, which is basically a NTC, but without the Uber-modules.

You get ships instead. 

Addendum to: ...the Future

WGannounced the removal of legendary modules missions.

Reason is, the want to un-clutter the Mission interface. Sounds nice WG, you so Kind to us. 

They gonna put it in the Reseach Bureau instead...and rewok them while they are at it. 

Hold on a second, that does Sound awfully lot like NTC 2.0! 

I guess WG likes using Backdoors (cause we're getting fraked at every turn)  the missions running, will be able to complete them until the end of the year. 

Why do i have this nagging Feeling all of a sudden...is it the word promises that causes it? 

• Cool 2

Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles

Pretty much along the lines of what I see wows 2019 as.

As the song says..

"This was a triumph.

I'm making a note here,

HUGE SUCCESS

It's hard to overstate my satisfaction."

WarGambling Balans

We do what we want

Because we can.

For the good of all of us

Except the ones who have quit

But there's no use crying over every mistake

You just keep the scam going

'til you run out game

I've experiments to run

There is balans to be done

On the players who are stil around

And believe me we are still around

We're doing balans and we are still around

We're filthy rich and we are still around.

And when you quit we will be still around

Still around

Still around..

You're welcome, WG. Contact me for royalties if you want to make this into your official anthem. Any similarities to Valve and Portal are purely intentional coincidental.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[NECRO]
Players
2,631 posts

2019 was my first year of WoWs. And as usual when I try a new game, it appeared to be quite ok WHEN I joined it, but morphed into an unbalanced P2W powercreep abomination shortly thereafter. Can't be my fault.

[KAKE]
Players
2,789 posts
6,795 battles

@Jethro_Grey Hot tip, when you edit your post and copy something from another post, use "paste as plain text", or the text will be hard coded to the dark grey colour of the theme you're using (which is almost the same as the background colour on the dark theme) instead of using the default font colour for theme.

• Cool 3

[NED]
Players
2,107 posts
8,378 battles
1 minute ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

2019 was my first year of WoWs. And as usual when I try a new game, it appeared to be quite ok WHEN I joined it, but morphed into an unbalanced P2W powercreep abomination shortly thereafter. Can't be my fault.

Its all this guys fault everyone quick get him :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

Players
3,161 posts
18,226 battles

WG end of 2019: The only original promise WG hasn't broken is introducing ships with bigger guns than 460 mm.

WG start 2020: Hold my beer.

....And that sadly, is the least negative comment I can make.

From being moderately balanced without P2W in 2018, in 2019 this game turned accelerated onto pure powercreep and Pay2Win lane.

I waited to see what WG has in store for 2020, and boy does it look good.  WG is clearly going nuclear on the Pay2Win aspect and not even pretending anymore. Can't help but wonder if WG signed a secret collaboration with Bethesta starting 2020?

Time to jump ship.

[BNBS]
Players
410 posts

WG should just turn themselves into a model ship retailer as it seems that most whales are just addicted collectors.  Then the two of them could develop the ever decreasing spiral of dependence upon each other that every good dealer/user relationship aspires to.  Meanwhile some company that knows how to keep a moderately successful game running on a modest profit can concentrate on keeping the player base happy and not screw with gameplay for a chunk of quick profit.

Legendary upgrades moving to the Research Bureau is absolutely NTC with different wrapping paper, which means that the first thing you should do when getting a tier 10, if you're a competitive player, is to immediately reset and grind that whole line again!!!!!  This is of course an insane proposition to any gamer, but WG is now all about destruct testing; not just its games, but its players and payers too.  However, knowing the nefarious ways of WG they will probably sneak it in with the inevitable shitstorm that will accompany the introduction of subs and the multitude of game imbalances that subs will cause and hopefully for WG everybody will be complaining about the mountainous pile of sub crap they will overlook the NTC v2 being forced down their neck.

I love this game and have invested a lot of time and money into it, but I have a more than strong feeling that this will be the year when I'm forced to abandon ships and that is totally based upon WG's performance, their attitude and lack of respect to their players and their money grabbing ethos.  Hopefully one day soon they'll realise that their much vaunted spreadsheets and over influential marketing department don't actually pay their wages when players lose their patience and go elsewhere for fun.

• Cool 1

Players
4,642 posts
7,604 battles
2 hours ago, Uglesett said:

@Jethro_Grey Hot tip, when you edit your post and copy something from another post, use "paste as plain text",

Not every browser supports that, I use Firefox and don't get the option, I know that Chrome allows it and I presume that IE allows it too, I don't know about any of the other browsers though.

Unrelated and totally OT, having just checked I'm astonished at how dominant Chrome has become, damn near 70% of the market now.

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts
21 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

Not every browser supports that, I use Firefox and don't get the option, I know that Chrome allows it and I presume that IE allows it too, I don't know about any of the other browsers though.

Unrelated and totally OT, having just checked I'm astonished at how dominant Chrome has become, damn near 70% of the market now.

The text edit field of the forum should give you that option. It's a forum function.

Players
4,642 posts
7,604 battles
1 minute ago, Egoleter said:

The text edit field of the forum should give you that option. It's a forum function.

Oh yeah, okay, right at the bottom of the text box, in a black bar, not completely obvious but it is there.

Thanks.

[ZEN]
Players
1,405 posts
14,632 battles

In summary

• Every new 'feature' added to the game made the entire experience worse... Research Bureau
  • CV Rework was implemented in a half finished state and even now isn't fixed
  • High tier French DDs and All RU BBs were OP on release and ruined the game
  • Italian cruisers were gimmick'd in a way that appeased BB players by giving them basically every stat about them being terrible and a gimmick'd ammo type that only works when people broadside or 1 shooting DDs and it doesn't work in low tiers.
  • The entire Christmas Event and most other events
  • The only good things added this year was the clean up of the UI and putting the gun bloom bug back in...

2019 Worst year for the game so far!

• Cool 3

Players
2,193 posts
20,211 battles

Certainly 2019 was my least favourite year for WOWS, Russian BBs, NTC Christmas event are all impressively bad ideas. Still the CV rework in my mind stands out head and shoulders above the other bad ideas that came out, and it is still far from a finished product despite WG loosing interest in it. 

Still we get to look forward to the introduction of subs I have total confidence that WG will mess things up even more in 2020.

• Cool 2

[BAD-A]
Players
645 posts
9,404 battles

And in 2021, the game dies - I fail to see how it can withstand another year of WeeGee's rank stupidity and cash-cow milking.

Players
7,520 posts
245 battles
15 minutes ago, MyopicHedgehog said:

And in 2021, the game dies - I fail to see how it can withstand another year of WeeGee's rank stupidity and cash-cow milking.

Well we can always play wargamings new title, pagan online.

Play as your fav slavic hero thingie!

balans included!

• Funny 1

[NECRO]
Players
2,631 posts
Am 14.1.2020 um 14:18, Jethro_Grey sagte:

Black Friday   

Adding ‚special‘ black captains, flags and patches was something i really liked.

And with the flags being broken (coloured => monochromatic) right after the event due to the update, but it was promised (oh oh oh...) they would be fixed during the next two updates. 

Edit: Fixed with the current update! WG can do things, if they want. :D

• Cool 1

[BODEM]
Players
802 posts
7,026 battles

Got a nice song for you:

Based on the song of Gotye ft Kimbra: Somebody that I used to know. I can't sing so I can only give you the text, so you will have to sing it for yourself if you are so inclined.

I can link you to the instrumental song though. You take the lyrics Gotye usually sings and WG will take Kimbra's lyrics. Have fun :)  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now and then I think of when we played together
Like when you said you felt so happy I played your game
Told myself that this was right for me
Fun with products from your company
Mayhaps it's nostalgia but I still remember

One could get used to a  kind of greed'ness
And resignation to the grind, always the grind
But when I found this one did not make sense
Well, you said we'd have the ship in the end 
But I'll admit that I doubt that it was like that

But you didn't had to f*** me up
Act like it never happened and that there was nothing
And I don't even need free stuff
But you treat me like a fool and that feels so rough

No, you didn't have to stoop so low
Have your workers hide the facts and then change the outcome
figured that I needn't take this though
Now you're not the comp'ny that I used to know

Now and then I think of all the times I screwed you over
And believe me it was always something that I'd done
But it's just because I live that way, reading not a single word you say
You said you couldn't  let it go
Still want your money though we ain't the comp'ny that you used to know

But you didn't had to f*** me up
Act like it never happened and that there was nothing
And I don't even need free stuff
But you treat me like a fool and that feels so rough

No, you didn't have to stoop so low
Have your workers hide the facts and then change the outcome
figured that I needn't take this though

Compa-ny, I used to know
Compa-ny, now you're not the comp'ny that I used to know
Compa-ny, I used to know
Compa-ny, now you're not the comp'ny that I used to know

I used to know
That I used to know
I used to know
Compa-ny

•  
  • Funny 1

[CAIN]
Players
4,926 posts
20,778 battles

I should add, that due to the fact that i had to write my review threee bloody times and wasn't in the mood the third time around to add all the Details, screenshots of WG staff comments from the Forums, reddit aso, as well as some meme pics, i'm gonna edir my OP as soon i recover a bit, not doing so well atm.

You don't have to read the large wall of text again and again to find the edited/ added bits, as i'll post the new stuff in separate Posts. 

I want to add, that i'm doing the same Kind of opinionated review for WoT, and Boy, this will raise some eyebrows. 

Once done, i'll add a link to my OP. 

Sign in to follow this