You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
tasman_devil

Puerto Rico - Vote

Puerto Rico - vote  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Puerto Rico - Yay or nay?

• I couldn't be bothered...
    • YAY for the event!
    • Never again...

50 comments in this topic

Players
56 posts
6,293 battles

So... now that the event came to and end, let us gather around, have an obituary and cast our votes.

Leave a comment if you feel like it.

I personally am absolutely disappointed about this event, it's outcome for me personally and to what this might mean for future events.

My personal story:
Holidays at the end of the year for most of us (myself included) are reserved for family and relaxation, not for grinding.  I bought two boosters, only to realise that with my progression rate I wouldn't be able to complete the levels. Filed for a refund (I personally would have been fine with them just removing the boosts and putting the gold back, didn't want my money back initially), and of course I was a day late for the arbitrary date WG set for the refund... so no gold back.

So, back to grinding I guess, trying to salvage the situation.

Tried to grind but honestly, these directives were NOT my cup of tea. To exacerbate the situation, family and life happened so I couldn't be online for 10 hours every day to manage the grind.

In the end I fell short of the directive 3 by about 2 hours. So:

- no Gorizia

- no Puerto Rico

- and I got my money (14k) stuck in a ship that is destined for scrapping.

Well done, GG! :Smile_amazed:

You could say that I was not forced to pay, not forced to grind, that I could have read the fine-print... but at the end of the day: mistakes were made.

Needless to say, lessons were learned about WG and myself after this session:

- I will NOT recommend WoWs to any of my friends

- I will NOT recommend WarGaming products in general to anyone

- and I will just lapse my 200+ days of premium and then... probably walk away from this game. Certainly won't be spending any more of my money with these kind of policies around

shot-20.01.14_06.13.43-0574.jpg

• Cool 9
  • Boring 2

[TALOS]
Players
126 posts
2,658 battles
13 minutes ago, tasman_devil said:

What do you mean?

more than 5 topics give normal grinding solutions for 2 prem booster to take PR and Gorizia...

• Cool 1

Players
56 posts
6,293 battles
20 minutes ago, Agis_D said:

more than 5 topics give normal grinding solutions for 2 prem booster to take PR and Gorizia...

I'd wager that none of them applied to me or my situation in life.

Also that you have to have a guide to min-max this event kind of speaks for itself. 

• Cool 5

[CATS]
Players
26,027 posts
14,064 battles
22 minutes ago, tasman_devil said:

What do you mean?

That you are unsure how fhe community views this event?

There are more than enough topics about this, which give a pretty clear picture.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[TALOS]
Players
126 posts
2,658 battles
15 minutes ago, tasman_devil said:

I'd wager that of them applied to me or my situation in life.

Also that you have to have a guide to min-max this event kind of speaks for itself. 

Its worst event that WG did ever, but u could have take the value of your money back.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[D-ODW]
Players
199 posts
26,399 battles

Another thread about an absolutely uninintersting lower than average ship wallet walled behind a monstrous grind without precedents.

Op I have a poll for you... how do you think WG will react to this 

A . Oh the community didn't like it maybe next time we will prepare a more doable event

B. Achso  wunderbar they swallowed the bait we were right... spread sheets don't lie.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Beta Tester
725 posts
11,930 battles

When people are writing things like that one thing makes me wonder:

Why would you ever recommend anything to anyone if noone pays you to do it?

IMHO, There is a difference between stating your opinion about product and recommending the product.

It would be a nice gesture from WG to give back doubloons back to people who invested but not finished the grind.

I did not bought any boosters so personally do not care.

• Cool 1

Players
56 posts
6,293 battles
14 minutes ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

When people are writing things like that one thing makes me wonder:

Why would you ever recommend anything to anyone if noone pays you to do it?

IMHO, There is a difference between stating your opinion about product and recommending the product.

It would be a nice gesture from WG to give back doubloons back to people who invested but not finished the grind.

I did not bought any boosters so personally do not care.

Why would you? Well, you might enjoy a game and have a like-minded friend you know would like to try it out too. Have you never ever went to a movie theatre, saw a movie and the told your friend about it?

Yeah, that gesture would be appreciated, but honestly, they've put that date to Dec. 26. So... I had my Christmas and... was late for the refund. Yeah.

• Cool 1

[ANV]
Players
549 posts
4,693 battles

I gave up before starting: it was a ridiculous grind from the outset. Shame.

• Cool 3

Players
1,609 posts
18,129 battles

I'm not averse to grinding but I found the requirements for the PR to be more than I was willing to put in at Christmas, so I ignored the event and I'm happier for it. 

However considering how many people were willing to pay for the boosters and the Gorizia, from WGs perspective the PR event was a massive success.  I'm certain we will see more events like this in the future. 

• Cool 2

[LEEUW]
Players
433 posts
6,916 battles
4 hours ago, tasman_devil said:

Filed for a refund (I personally would have been fine with them just removing the boosts and putting the gold back, didn't want my money back initially), and of course I was a day late for the arbitrary date WG set for the refund... so no gold back.

That's your own mistake and not WG. It was known a refund was possible and it was known it had an end date to do so.

You do have bad luck you didn't get the next stage, i agree. But finish dir 1-4 wasn't that hard. And calculations what you should complete and when where also known.

I chose not to buy the boosters, but i payed 15k dubs in the end. If i only got that PR for that, i wouldn't do it. But that 15k dubs gave me PR, 2.200 steel and 11.000 coal and i think that was worth it for me.

Do i like this winter event? Nope, i sure don't/didn't.

• Cool 1

[SEN]
Players
795 posts

For me, this was a sample of WG arrogance and infatuation,  assuming the fraking game is more important than family and Christmas spirit. Assuming the average Joe Doe will play 12h +/day, on Christmas, and will ignore what we define us as social beings

Assuming we have no parents, children,  or any kind of family, or we will give up on them only to obtain, MAYBE, a "free" pixel ship.

I ignored the grind from III directive and use my time to enjoy the Christmas. Life is short, and out there are things far more important, far more interesting than a pixel ship on the screen. Walk your dog, see a movie with your kid, visit your brother/sister, grandfathers,  the fraking game will be on the same place on the same computer,  2 weeks later.

Instead of giving us something fair to achieve,  or, if they really, really  like to make us sweat2death, to allow the infernal grind up to end of January,  AND to show they do have some respect for the player base as a HUMAN player base, they choose to force us to make a choice.

I choose well, I think, even now, to avoid this dirty trap. But again, was not a nice move from WG. Not nice at all.

When you grow old, guess what you will remember / enjoy more: the moments you spent with your kids,  parents, brothers, etc. or a fraking pixel ship on the computer screen ?

• Cool 4

[V888]
Players
2,106 posts
9,511 battles

I was just wondering where is the PR thread for today... We can't miss a single day without it.

Well, luckily it will be over soon.

In the meantime, the automatic shipbuilding has been stopped and now WG leaves you with the 'magic button' to buy the PR for doubloons. The 'limbo' state of the "sunk cost fallacy". They truly mastered the psychology and manipulation.  :cap_old:

PR2.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[-RDE-]
Players
299 posts
24,603 battles

we had a clan member who really tried to get it(for free/no boosts), he fell 600k short.  if it was me i'd be quiting today with falling so short after all the hard work/flags etc..  :(

• Cool 1

[KOKOS]
Players
445 posts
6,314 battles

The one thing that truly annoyed me about this event, is the fact the WG tried to make you pay money for a product (Puerto Rico) that you may never get in the end.

Imagine supporting a Kickstarter and if it doesn't reach its goal - poof, gone is your money. How successful do you think Kickstarter would be now, operating like that?

I really don't think that this way of cashing in leads to satisfied customers, and your experience proves exactly that.

And those two crates and a flag that you receive regardless? You could remove that stuff and it wouldn't change a thing for the players.

Why not get rid of those sub-rewards and refund the gold automatically if you fail to reach the goal?

That would still make quite a large sum of money I assume, and it would be fair to the customers.

Now it feels like smoke and mirrors:

You: "I paid 14000 dubloons to get PR and now I got nothing."

WG: "Au contraire mon frere, think about those flags, think about the camos! We delivered the goods, no refunds."

You: "Oh, you are right, I forgot about that! Silly me. I will gladly give you even more money now, totally fair."

• Cool 2

Players
3,130 posts
10,542 battles
15 minutes ago, Palubarac said:

I was just wondering where is the PR thread for today... We can't miss a single day without it.

Well, luckily it will be over soon.

In the meantime, the automatic shipbuilding has been stopped and now WG leaves you with the 'magic button' to buy the PR for doubloons. The 'limbo' state of the "sunk cost fallacy". They truly mastered the psychology and manipulation.  :cap_old:

PR2.jpg

This and This ^^^

That button just staring at you....

That is the way WG roll.

"oh, i can get it for 15,000?" "people got this and spent far more, i need it, i need it!!!!!!".

They then buy it for £40-50 and there you go, WG make a killing.

If i wasn't against the whole event and have morales, then i would defo buy the PR for £30-40.  I mean what a bargain really for a tier 10 ship?

But the moment you press that button, the more you encourage WG to do kinda physiology crap again and making shareholders very happy. 

I can buy it outright for 25,000, so £70 right now without spending anything on boosters.  Is that good?  For a tier 10 ship and considering how much a tier 9 ship is, it's bearable.  But considering i think tier 9's are too expensive i can not force myself to spend a family weeks worth of shopping for a small pixel ship that is alright.  Considering I have most tier 10 ships already, with the Grad being much better and Alaska pound or pound.

Question is...Would WG have made more money if they outright sold this in the shop?

Shame because i think i would love the ship (like US crusiers and their versatile).

i'm just glad that it's not game braking where owning one will give you a massive advantage in CB's and such. WG COULD have done this (like in the past with the Grad) but thank god they didn't. It's a balanced ship. 

• Cool 3

[PNAVY]
Players
30 posts
22,486 battles

image.thumb.png.e423fcd085770b581d521139123ecd50.png

Feeling a bit disappointed after all that heavy Grind

• Cool 2

[V888]
Players
2,106 posts
9,511 battles
2 minutes ago, HMCite said:

Well, you were very close I guess.

Now you'll have to spend 6k doubloons if you want it. And I'm pretty sure the "cost sunk fallacy" will work.

Even 15k is not an insane amount (keep in mind that not a small group of players bought it for almost 60k doubloons) but I just refuse to be a part of that.

I refuse to fuel WG's insane grinds and manipulative techniques.

They will either go back on track or they will milk the small group that will approve this shitty behavior from them and the rest of sane players will find a game that will treat a player like a player that makes the game possible, not like a sheep to be manipulated and milked, every month with a different (yet again, almost the same) event.

• Cool 2

[KOKOS]
Players
445 posts
6,314 battles
2 minutes ago, HMCite said:

15000 dubloons for those last few ticks. If you are annoyed by that, think about what will happen next year.

The price to finish the ship will rise the closer you are to actually finishing it. It's genius!

tenor.gif.7d33176a86751ae0633480c887b48a70.gif

• Cool 1

[SINT]
Players
841 posts
20,430 battles
12 minutes ago, genosse said:

15000 dubloons for those last few ticks. If you are annoyed by that, think about what will happen next year.

The price to finish the ship will rise the closer you are to actually finishing it. It's genius!

tenor.gif.7d33176a86751ae0633480c887b48a70.gif

Can you get it with just the 6 k upgrade. It does give some direct progress. But you need to calculate in advance..

edit: wrong quote.

[PNAVY]
Players
30 posts
22,486 battles

9 minutes ago, Jvd2000 said:

Can you get it with just the 6 k upgrade. It does give some direct progress. But you need to calculate in advance..

No those boosters are not available. they removed the purchase of those boosters after 5th or 6th directive i think.

[SINT]
Players
841 posts
20,430 battles
1 minute ago, HMCite said:

No those boosters are not available. they removed those after 4th directive i think.

If that’s the case, WG is even more scammy then I gave them “ credit” for...