You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SowonAoD

What should I do with 1 mil free exp?

50 comments in this topic

[WG_SC]
Beta Tester
7 posts
3,908 battles

Yes, a few thousand free exp and I could buy a premium ship for 1 credit. And at the moment, what I can get is either alaska or azuma or friesland.

Azuma is too squishy, friesland does not fit my play style (DD without torp, nope). So, alaska is the most suitable option.

However, I have just got Puerto Rico, and since some CCs said that alaska and PR playstyle is quite similar to each other, I'm not much interested in Alaska as I've used before. 1 mil free exp is a long grind and I expected to get something really standing out. 

Then, should I get the Alaska, or grab the dakkdakka little friesland, or save up for better use?

[TALOS]
Players
126 posts
2,658 battles

u r a IJP cruiser player mainly. Alaska and PR have more tanky game like German cruisers. Especially PR.

Alaska is more flexible and maneuverable. 

Friesland is a gunboat with excellent AA, German hydro. A DD hunter. U can cap in the middle or end game, like Mahan.

Think what u ll play more... And remember; those ships r money makers!

• Cool 1

[TTT]
Players
576 posts
12,045 battles

Even though it has no torps, Friesland is a very strong support DD that can be handy in most of the cases.

Definitely much more unique than Azuma or Alaska.

• Cool 2

[ONE2]
Players
3,083 posts
21,082 battles

Dunnoh, depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Save it up to 1,55M and promote one of your 10 point commanders to 19 points is one way to go or research and buy new ships perhaps?:cap_old:

• Cool 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,720 posts
10,106 battles
3 hours ago, SowonAoD said:

Yes, a few thousand free exp and I could buy a premium ship for 1 credit. And at the moment, what I can get is either alaska or azuma or friesland.

Azuma is too squishy, friesland does not fit my play style (DD without torp, nope). So, alaska is the most suitable option.

However, I have just got Puerto Rico, and since some CCs said that alaska and PR playstyle is quite similar to each other, I'm not much interested in Alaska as I've used before. 1 mil free exp is a long grind and I expected to get something really standing out. 

Then, should I get the Alaska, or grab the dakkdakka little friesland, or save up for better use?

In a very short time,

A new torp / gun boat hybrid named "Hayate" from IJN navy will be introduced into the game for Fexp (If they don't change their minds)

I'd wait If I were you!

• Cool 6

[THESO]
Players
953 posts
8,482 battles
2 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

In a very short time,

A new torp / gun boat hybrid named "Hayate" from IJN navy will be introduced into the game for Fexp (If they don't change their minds)

I'd wait If I were you!

Another CV food you mean. Announce a fxp CV then we mean business.. 

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
2,443 posts
10,937 battles

Friesland and Alaska are very good.

what do you enjoy more destroyer or cruiser/battleship gameplay? That would probably be your choice.

Azuma is more of an oversized Ibuki. It’s just so much more fragile than the Alaska.

Nelson remains a bargain at 375,000 freeXP.

[NWP]
Players
1,331 posts
9,813 battles
23 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

In a very short time,

I'd wait If I were you!

This !!

Players
1,302 posts
20 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

In a very short time,

I'd wait If I were you!

It will be a worse gunboat than gearing, slower reload, less shots/min, less hp, worse turret rotation speed, etc. and will be a worse torp boat than shima with having access to only 2x5 F3 torps. Except Hayate will have a RB that can provide another 2x5 torps at the expense of smoke consumable.

But i'd wait if i were him, too, as other ships may arrive like Siegfired or Odin.

• Cool 2

[SHAD]
Players
2,443 posts
10,937 battles

There are a few nice ones coming. Hope woke will be coal as I have lots.

Players
1,459 posts
13,931 battles

You know, there's no written rule that says you must spend your fxp the moment you hit 1 million. If nothing currently on offer appeals to you, sit on it for a while, there's some additional reward ships coming in soon (and all the time).

• Cool 1

[PIKES]
Players
392 posts

Use it to unlock a tree X ship and get the corresponding legend module before February.:Smile_hiding:

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,454 battles
51 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Dunnoh, depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Save it up to 1,55M and promote one of your 10 point commanders to 19 points is one way to go or research and buy new ships perhaps?:cap_old:

This is a VERY bad idea imho.
I would never spend FreeXP to boost captains personally.

• Cool 3

Players
1,459 posts
13,931 battles
1 minute ago, Blixies said:

Agreed, that's what elitexp is for. In addition, using fxp to skip through lines is a major contributor to high tier gameplay being as much of a roflstomp fiesta as it is. At leas half t10 games these days are a stomp, whether you're on the receiving or giving end. I always advise against skipping lines to anyone but veteran players who are using it to get research points faster.

• Cool 2

[ONE2]
Players
3,083 posts
21,082 battles
8 minutes ago, Blixies said:

Dunnoh about that man, I do have 84*19 point commanders already and a few of them were got that way. But then again I do not care much for buying more and more ships (free XP ships included) ATM, trying to keep the numbers down to a playable maximum, you see so also no need to research anything in a hurry. Like I said, depends on what he wants to accomplish. :Smile_Default:

Right now, I personally want to get ALL my DD and Cruiser Commanders up to 19 points, still have 3 to go and we're done. Then BB's and only after that will I even consider getting new ships, so I will definitely use Free XP so that, once I got 3,1M scraped together (that'll be very soon tho).:cap_old:

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,454 battles
1 minute ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Dunnoh about that man, I do have 84*19 point commanders already and a few of them were got that way. But then again I do not care much for buying more and more ships (free XP ships included) ATM, trying to keep the numbers down to a playable maximum, you see so also no need to research anything in a hurry. Like I said, depends on what he wants to accomplish. :Smile_Default:

Right now, I personally want to get ALL my DD and Cruiser Commanders up to 19 points, still have 3 to go and we're done. Then BB's only after that will I even consider getting new ships, so I will definitely use Free XP so that, once I got 3M scraped together (that'll be very soon tho).:cap_old:

How do you not have millions of Elite Captain XP with 84 maxed captains? Do you stop playing with maxed captains as soon as they reach 19 points or something?

Something's not quite right here, I can tell you that.

[WG_SC]
Beta Tester
7 posts
3,908 battles
17 minutes ago, L8viathan said:

It will be a worse gunboat than gearing, slower reload, less shots/min, less hp, worse turret rotation speed, etc. and will be a worse torp boat than shima with having access to only 2x5 F3 torps. Except Hayate will have a RB that can provide another 2x5 torps at the expense of smoke consumable.

But i'd wait if i were him, too, as other ships may arrive like Siegfired or Odin.

I took a looke at them, and they are good looking ships.

However, I think that Odin at tier 8 is not likely to be a free exp ship, while the Siegfired can.

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
3,083 posts
21,082 battles
12 minutes ago, Blixies said:

How do you not have millions of Elite Captain XP with 84 maxed captains? Do you stop playing with maxed captains as soon as they reach 19 points or something?

Something's not quite right here, I can tell you that.

I do and I promote at least 1 new Commander per month as soon as Elite XP has accumulated to 1,55M and save the free XP for possibly promoting those upcoming reward / Event / New tech tree commanders, that might accidentally come up to mess up my promotion queue. After all, let's keep in mind I am not interested in new ship research or buying more ships for the time being.:Smile_Default:

For example, for this Italian navy event. I used my Elite XP to promote all my Itanian Cruiser Commanders to 19 points, as soon as I got them and the use the accumulated Free XP to promote Gorizia Commander, once I got it (did the same with french DD's and Scirocco). That done, I now have already accumulated 750.000 Free XP, which I will save up to 3,1 in view of the next even / ship line release surprises.:cap_tea:

Of course, this way I still end up gettin new ships without actually intending to, but at the least they will have excellent Commanders to begin with. :cap_haloween:

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,454 battles
9 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

I do and I promote at least 1 new Commander per month as soon as Elite XP has accumulated to 1,55M and save the free XP for possibly promoting those upcoming reward / Event / New tech tree commanders, that might accidentally come up to mess up my promotion queue. After all, let's keep in mind I am not interested in new ship research or buying more ships for the time being.:Smile_Default:

I see, kinda makes sense in your situation.

But that's feasible for like 0,1% of playerbase, it does not work as a general piece of advice IMHO.

My point stands: The Free XP is not optimal for boosting captains, as it is better used elsewhere. 

[ONE2]
Players
3,083 posts
21,082 battles
30 minutes ago, Blixies said:

But that's feasible for like 0,1% of playerbase, it does not work as a general piece of advice IMHO.
My point stands: The Free XP is not optimal for boosting captains, as it is better used elsewhere. 

Of course and true enough it is not for everyone - If someone grinds up the tree or develops new ships then Free XP is definitely best used for that, but it is up to each player to decide what they want to prioritize at the moment. I have managed to accumulate an annoyingly large number of ships just by taking part in the pre-release events myself. The only ship lines I ever actually did a "grind" on were IJN Cruisers, DD's and BB's the rest kinda just accidentally came on the side. Al;though I do admit to having also Free-XP'd myself a few select ships-of-interest like Bismarck or Hipper, Cleveland and so on.:Smile_Default:

Players
264 posts
13,730 battles
5 hours ago, SowonAoD said:

Alaska is a great ship, however, I would suggest you give serious consideration to the Friesland. Too many dd players lack the skills to use their guns against other DDS and tend to avoid spotting them or engaging them at all cost much to the detriment of their team. Not to mention the DAKA the Friesland has is insane when played right.

[SINT]
Players
841 posts
20,448 battles
11 minutes ago, Blixies said:

Agreed, although I sometimes do use FXP for captainskills as small change to get a captain to a certain threshold of points (10, 14). But we are talking a few 1000 max since FXP is more difficult to accumulate then captain xp. Only have 4 max out captains and xp is not that fast for me.

As for most ships the first 14. / 16 captain points are more critical then 19 full captain I am not really pushing for 19’s all the way.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,060 posts
19,494 battles
1 hour ago, L8viathan said:

Hayat is a good boat....  Its a worse gun boat than gearing at close range.. but at longer ranges 6km+ Hayat is a better gunboat. She has guns with same Alpha/punch accuracy as Shima but with a 4 second reload..

I really Enjoyed her in testing

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles

Promoting captains to the requisite number of skill points is one of my main uses for free xp. It saves a lot of time in getting my captains up to speed, and the more of them reach 19 points, the more elite xp I get, which accelerates skill training even more. My best use ever of a million free xp was to get my first 19-point captain, which was what really made my captain training programme take off. But as always, it's a matter of personal preference! :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1