Sign in to follow this  
Admiral_of_the_Fleet

Rolled Midway and can no longer play CV - HELP!

3 comments in this topic

Players
5 posts
7,857 battles

Hi all - really struggling with T10 CV play

So I stopped playing CV's after the rework and only picked them up again end of 2019, mainly US carriers. It took a while to work out what I was doing but after reading a few guides I got a good idea, and did alright with the Lexington (87 games, 60% W/R, 2003 PR and 72k avg. dmg). Feeling confident of the jump, I bought the Midway over the weekend and ever since then I can't buy a win and constantly get blamed for playing poorly - basically the opposite of the Lexi experience. (27 games, 22% W/R, 1324 PR and 91k avg. dmg).

I would like to think it’s not me, but it’s hard to argue the stats and I just can’t win.

The things I’ve found jumping to T10

1)      The increase in flak is massive, most games are fully T10 and there’s not many ships with crud AA

2)      A lot of platoons, that generally stick together making them hard to attack

3)      Better players - rarely you find many lone ships steaming around and attacking a group to T10 ships seems like suicide for my planes.

4)      Midways spotting range is HUGE, anything but hiding at the back usually leads to quick death.

5)      My opposite number is always good

I usually start with my rocket planes and scout, especially for DD’s and attack when feasible. Usually, I then jump into torpedo bombers and try to hunt a lone battleship. If I have to attack a group, I dump on section before doing so, to avoid losing the whole squadron – dodging the infinite number of flak bursts seems to be as much about luck as skill, the sky’s full of them at T10!

The crux of it is, I think I got a reasonable idea of what I’m doing but struggling to adjust. I might just be extremely unlucky; I swear every team I’ve been on seems to lose 3 ships within 2 minutes but some of it at least must be down to my poor play - any tips or I’m going back to my Lexi!??

Thanks,

Admiral Of The Fleet

[N0RSE]
Players
174 posts
14,269 battles

Only 27 games, I'm sure it will balance it self out over time. I have had similar experiences with ships before (not necessarily cvs) with horrible wr first 20 games or so. Sometimes you have nights with impossible teams to win in (half the team dead within 5 minutes etc).

91k AVG dmg is not bad, that achievement goes to the 40%wr 50k AVG dmg midways.

It seems like you know what is important, scouting in the beginning for example. You can try to focus dds who are capping in the beginning of the battle. Torp planes work fine too for this, especially when they smoke up.

The bigger ships are usually cluttered together too much in the beginning, so it saves your plane reserve a bit too.

Players
9,840 posts
11,540 battles

Besides evading flak and picking on alone ships... when attacking two ships or more, shorten squad to two attack wings and (ab)use accelerated bailout to hell and back - basically press F to recall planes as soon as possible after attack run. Doing more than one pass is reasonable only against alone ships, but even then, you will suffer more losses when doing turnaround than bailing out and bringing new squad in.

Midway TB got buffed not so long ago, they make for noice (by CV standards) baBBy touching utensil should you find one

Sign in to follow this