You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Jethro_Grey

Huge DD nerf might be coming for patch 0.9.1

473 comments in this topic

[OCTO]
Players
1,101 posts
21,625 battles

I am getting tired of making a fuss and trying to prevent utterly stupid moves from WG. They can do whatever they want to dumb it down - once it goes beyond point-click-shot-boom, I am done.

Hard to believe but there is a world outside WoWs and good that they are slowly but surely pushing us out. 

• Cool 15

Players
5,550 posts
9,653 battles
4 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

If they do, how likely is it, that they are BB/ CV mains? My spread sheet says 100%. 

Im wondering the same thing. Kinda obvious isnt it?

5 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

One stands out tho: If you have the Module on your ship, the concelament of Torpedos, regardless which DD fired it gets nerfed to 1.8km. 

Perfect counter to Asashio & deep water torps. Boats like Hsienyang you can just remove from the tech tree this way, since it jumps from 0,8 to 1,8 km and its hard enough to hit something as it is.

Also, its ofc a BB buff. Cruisers can efford to slot that instead of concealment module. BBs however...

• Cool 16

[NWP]
Players
7,803 posts
8,273 battles

Its kinda interesting when you think about it:

DWTs have 800m concealment, if a BB uses TASM right now, its ~1000m.

So a massive nerf.

But what about lets say IJN torps, which already have like 1,6-1,8km. 20% more detection extends that past 1,8km :cap_haloween:

retarded times 10. BBaby buff #5448764145. Cruisers and DDs cant use that module, as they need concealment (or rudder shift)

• Cool 15

[NECRO]
Players
865 posts
6,147 battles

The meta is morphing more and more into a state where I would not be surprised to encounter Smurf ships and Pokémon captains...

• Cool 8
  • Funny 7

[NECRO]
Players
865 posts
6,147 battles
Vor 17 Minuten, Jethro_Grey sagte:

I wonder at this Point iof the People making These balans desicions are actually playing the game. 

I suspect some prion disease at work here... Kuru or something like that.

• Funny 6

[THESO]
Beta Tester
1,570 posts
10,269 battles

Guys! Its a Shima buff finally! 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 12

[CATS]
Players
22,356 posts
13,172 battles

One should not forget that BB using that, cannot use the Concealment Module.

• Funny 6
  • Bad 1

Players
4,281 posts
7,592 battles

Link to the development blog post:  https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/129646-st-upgrades-changes/

A couple of points to note:

• there's a new module that gives +5% torpedo speed (3 knots?) as well, slot 3 so no strong competition for it:
  • the 1.8 km is in slot 5, so T8+ and competes with the concealment system mod.

So there are potentially winners and losers:

• IJN might get a small buff out of this especially the 12 km type 93s;
  • anything with slow but stealthy torpedoes is badly screwed, USN mk15 55 kn speed going from 1.1km to 1.8km, good luck hitting anything with that, USN mk 16, was 1.4 so big nerf for them too;
  • RN, RU ships in a similar position;
  • what about the PA deep water torpedoes?  Are they just going to become a pure downside for the line? 
  • What about Asashio too, are the players who've spent real money on this going to be happy with the change?
  • What about the Italians?  51 knots spotted at 1.8 km?  Are WG going to introduce an It DD line?

Sounds like on the whole a buff for bad BB players who can't use concealment properly anyway so benefit from enhanced torpedo avoidance, presumably vigilance now becomes a much more desirable captain skill for them too.

Finally, Shimakaze is still 50% of the DD games played at T10, what on earth are WG thinking about introducing a change that buffs that line and nerfs pretty much everything else.

• Cool 23

Players
345 posts

Perfect counter to the asashio? Isn’t it countered By everything other than BBs? I payed real money for that. If BBS can counter it put kitakaze guns on it then or let me hit even cruisers with torps. Jesus Christ this ship bill be pointless ,is it because we have to buy newer DDs?

• Cool 10

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,352 posts
7,069 battles
1 minute ago, Capra76 said:

Link to the development blog post:  https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/129646-st-upgrades-changes/

A couple of points to note:

• there's a new module that gives +5% torpedo speed (3 knots?) as well, slot 3 so no strong competition for it:
  • the 1.8 km is in slot 5, so T8+ and competes with the concealment system mod.

Theres also a new module for slot 5 that gives +10% on consumable time. While that doesnt sound amazing on first glance, if it increases the run time of repair party then BB will heal more. Which makes it a potential choice for BB that dont care about concealment.

I cant see the 1.8km module being that popular really. Meanwhile, any DD with access to slot 3 can have +5% torp speed essentially for free, along with 40% less likely to break torps. Also the steering/engine modules got rolled together into one module, so now you get both instead of having to pick.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Players
5,550 posts
9,653 battles
5 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

the 1.8 km is in slot 5, so T8+ and competes with the concealment system mod.

With Vigilance you have 2,25 km assured detection. Man this will make BBs untouchable. Vigilance just became interesting...

2 minutes ago, kapnobathrac said:

Perfect counter to the asashio? Isn’t it countered By everything other than BBs? I payed real money for that. If BBS can counter it put kitakaze guns on it then or let me hit even cruisers with torps. Jesus Christ this ship bill be pointless ,is it because we have to buy newer DDs?

Asashio sells prolly slowed down or they have reached the quote so can be nerfed into oblivion. You think this hasnt happend before? Kutuzov or Graf Spee want to have a word with you :)

• Cool 8

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,227 posts
23,434 battles

So what is a point having all this balancing between DDs of different nations and different torpedo types if you can completely negate it by single upgrade. What would be point of PA DD line then?

• Cool 19
  • Funny 1

Players
8,798 posts
10,157 battles
2 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

With Vigilance you have 2,25 km assured detection

inb4 new TASM also lower 20km torp concealment from 2.5km to 1.8km :cap_book:

• Funny 7

Players
4,281 posts
7,592 battles
12 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

Theres also a new module for slot 5 that gives +10% on consumable time. While that doesnt sound amazing on first glance, if it increases the run time of repair party then BB will heal more. Which makes it a potential choice for BB that dont care about concealment.

Even with the RN zombie heal that extra 10% is only about 3,000 HP, so maybe 1,000 for a regular ship, I'm not convinced.

I cant see the 1.8km module being that popular really. Meanwhile, any DD with access to slot 3 can have +5% torp speed essentially for free, along with 40% less likely to break torps. 

I'm not so sure, I guess that good players will likely still use concealment or possibly the enhanced repair but they don't tend to get hit by torpedoes anyway, the bad players (the core diet of torpedo DD) however may well be attracted to the upgrade so even if only 25% of the players take the upgrade, it's the 25% who are most likely to be running into torpedoes and thus a much bigger nerf than the popularity might suggest.

Also the steering/engine modules got rolled together into one module, so now you get both instead of having to pick.

Hooray!  2 worthless modules for the price of one.

• Cool 5

[SM0KE]
Players
4,038 posts
10,991 battles
28 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

there's a new module that gives +5% torpedo speed (3 knots?) as well, slot 3 so no strong competition for it

That's interesting, although a lot of useful coal upgrades sit in slot 3...

[GURKA]
Players
4,216 posts
9,301 battles
38 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

IJN might get a small buff out of this especially the 12 km type 93s;

You mean the 20km? The 12 km have 1.7 km detection, so 100m earlier spotted but also 5% less dmg

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,352 posts
7,069 battles
10 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

I'm not so sure, I guess that good players will likely still use concealment or possibly the enhanced repair but they don't tend to get hit by torpedoes anyway, the bad players (the core diet of torpedo DD) however may well be attracted to the upgrade so even if only 25% of the players take the upgrade, it's the 25% who are most likely to be running into torpedoes and thus a much bigger nerf than the popularity might 

Agreed, although having seen GK with active hydro still get hit by lots of torps, there's a big difference between detecting them, and actually avoiding them ;)

The main victims though are likely to be the DW torps since they lose their biggest advantage. So it's a big nerf for my Assassio.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

Players
403 posts
50 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

One should not forget that BB using that, cannot use the Concealment Module.

:Smile_teethhappy:

Who needs concealment when you are sniping away from 25km.

Didn't the spreadsheet say that like 80% of the BB playerbase use TAS-module anyways?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[UNICS]
Players
4,115 posts
15,521 battles

It's good they're doing a module overhaul. It's long overdue. Concealment module is a no-brainer for most. Balancing the effectiveness of the modules will be good for the game.

They will have to do some balancing when it comes to torps, torp damage and flooding if these changes go through though. If they do, and if they make two different set detection distances for ordinary torps and DW torps, it might not be so bad.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 4

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
3,517 posts
4,454 battles
1 minute ago, loppantorkel said:

It's good they're doing a module overhaul. It's long overdue. Concealment module is a no-brainer for most. Balancing the effectiveness of the modules will be good for the game.

They will have to do some balancing when it comes to torps, torp damage and flooding if these changes go through though. If they do, and if they make two different set detection distances for ordinary torps and DW torps, it might not be so bad.

The watch word here is IF, let's not lose our *edited*s just yet while they are still in ST neh?

• Funny 3

Players
866 posts
10,055 battles

At the very least this 1.8km distance should be 0.8km for DW and 0.4km for Asashio lol. 

In addition, this nerf does not only affect DDs: 

BBs will remain in their current spot but get some buffs, except secondary BBs. 
Battlecruisers and heavy cruisers will be in a god position
Light cruisers will get some nice buffs
Aircraft carriers will get thrown into oblivion, made utterly useless except for tier 4 and tier 6 in tier 5 battles