Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Peroidas

Alaska or not?

12 comments in this topic

Players
137 posts
3,247 battles

I've heard Alaska is quite nice ship. As I have 1mln free exp and I'm no good in DDs I'm inclined to get her.

So, my question is: should I get her or wait (maybe for some good fXP ship incoming?) or get Nelson now and gather points again for Alaska?

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,746 posts
5,290 battles
3 minutes ago, Peroidas said:

I've heard Alaska is quite nice ship. As I have 1mln free exp and I'm no good in DDs I'm inclined to get her.

So, my question is: should I get her or wait (maybe for some good fXP ship incoming?) or get Nelson now and gather points again for Alaska?

Well the only other free xp boats we know of to be incoming are the Siegfried and Hayate..

[SHAFT]
Players
9,539 posts
8,850 battles

Get Alaska first, the chance that it gets removed is higher compared to Nelson. Alaska is around for almost 1 year now, so it might get removed soon (many FreeXP ships got removed after 1 year). nelson has been around all the time, i guess it wont get removed anymore.

Alaska is a great ship. Nelson is also very strong, but you need a certain skill level to perform well in it. It has a massive citadel, which many BBs even can hit it through the bow.

Players
6,779 posts
245 battles

Nelson is pretty solid, if you dont mind getting her and grinding again for alaska.

But yeah defo get alaska she seems pretty solid from what ive seen from all the cc’s online so far.

Enjoy her or both ladies!

[WOTN]
Beta Tester
420 posts
6,730 battles

I don't have an Alaska, but if you're considering a Nelson I can tell you she won't ever let you down.

[KOKOS]
Players
445 posts
6,393 battles

Do you like dealing those juicy multiple citadel hits?

Do you like being dangerous or at least "undesirable" to any enemy at all times, including CV?

Then get Alaska.

Do you like fully commiting to a flank and marching on against all odds like a stubborn Englishman, starting fires left an right and punishing cruisers with AP, all while you come back from the dead to almost full health multiple times?

Then get the Nelson.

Both are strong ships, and Nelson probably has more potential to give you those 1-in-100 screenshot-worthy battles, but I would take Alaska for her flexibility.

You know when the battle starts and you look at the map and the teams and think to yourself: "I have a baaad feeling about this"?

This rarely happens in the Alaska, because you always have options. Nelson has its frustrating moments, when a CV tries to ruin your day, or when you decided to support the wrong flank, with either too many or too few enemies.

I have only very few battles in both ships, but I believe you would also get those impressions very quickly.

Players
6,343 posts
10,566 battles

OP doesnt have any experiance in high tier cruisers and the stats on T7+ cruisers are grim. Especially US cruiser stats. He will not enjoy Alaska this way.

• Cool 2

[BEER]
Players
59 posts
19,768 battles

Alaska get it mate just got yesterday and love it,,,,mind you cost a bloody fortune to up grade  it but well worth it👍

Players
1,483 posts
14,041 battles
9 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

OP doesnt have any experiance in high tier cruisers and the stats on T7+ cruisers are grim. Especially US cruiser stats. He will not enjoy Alaska this way.

Indeed, without having knowledge of high tier cruiser gameplay Alaska won't be fun at all, neither for the op nor his teams.

Players
137 posts
3,247 battles

Yes, the only high tier cruiser I played a fair bit so far is Edinburgh, so I have a lot to learn :D

I thought Alaska play would be a bit more like a mix betewwn BB and CA rather than typical CA or CL

Thanks for all the comments, I will most probably get Alaska, if only to get the additional steel...

[TALOS]
Players
272 posts
10,264 battles

take Alaska. her may be out of market soon. I am a VERY bad cruiser player, but I feel good with Alaska and I have ALL T9 HC. Yes, I am a whale too...

Nelson was my 1st mid tier BB long ago. I love that ship. Now there is Lenin too. (I like Izumo, but everyone has his shot)

with ALASKA and prem time, u can play coop and make money, as you learn the ship!!!

Players
6,343 posts
10,566 battles
28 minutes ago, Peroidas said:

I thought Alaska play would be a bit more like a mix betewwn BB and CA rather than typical CA or CL

Well. Its ofc different to cruisers and BBs. Id say, the first half of the game you rather play like a US heavy cruiser, Baltimore or Buffalo comes to mind. Later in the game, this changes, as you can push and brawl, which is more BB-like (but not all BBs play like that). On top of that, Alaska has the US heavy cruiser shell characteristics. So shooting is like a heavy cruiser and not like a BB. Overall its quite special imo, it needs skills of both cruiser and BB gameplay and situational awareness to get the fullest out of her. And ofc views are my own, ymmw. Thats how I play Alaska and it works nice. I needed a handful of games to get accustomed to her tho.

Sign in to follow this