Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
The_Chiv

First game in the Puerto Rico.

36 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
264 posts
13,759 battles

As many know I ground the F2P route for the PR. It unlocked a bit ago and I decided to take her out for a spin. During the grind for her, I had the chance to revitalize the age-old tradition of whale hunting looking for people who spent cash money for it and making them the focus of my attention. Petty, perhaps but I wanted to see what kind of punishment this ship could take. Well not much sadly. Every time I faced one I knew I was almost always at an advantage. This combined with several CC reviews of the ship being not great led me to feel like the ship was just bad.

 

So with that mindset, I set out to test the ship to see how bad it was. So you can imagine my surprise when this happened in the first game.

shot-20_01.13_07_24_24-0652.thumb.jpg.3eb5102e414647b1db1685bd1617715c.jpgshot-20_01.13_07_24.28-0597.thumb.jpg.5bcf3cdac25b078c2fd07bf479c2c33a.jpgshot-20_01.13_07_24.34-0231.thumb.jpg.d77eff2f40e8c2245b5af9ee56aff057.jpg

 

The Ap feels a bit off and that nasty fall short bug robbed me a few times in the match but the ship performed better than I thought it would. 1 game doesn't really prove anything but it was a nice surprise.

 

  • Cool 17
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KOKOS]
Players
445 posts
6,366 battles

Grats for getting the PR and Kraken in your first fight.

 

I don't know about PR's performance (didn't drive her, yet), but this could just be the honeymoon period.

 

I know I have my fair share of ships that I thought were awesome, but then ... let's say it all felt a lot better than the 45 % WR I saw in my stats in the end. ;)

 

Hope you stay satisfied.


Edit: Why the downvotes for the OP? That guy grinded his [edited]off in the last weeks. It might not be your cup of tea, but he deserves some payback IMHO.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,282 posts
14,063 battles
43 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

Every time I faced one I knew I was almost always at an advantage. This combined with several CC reviews of the ship being not great led me to feel like the ship was just bad.

 

It's a good ship and you were probably only facing bad players.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,282 posts
14,063 battles
8 minutes ago, LeBurgonde said:

I would like to read the view point on this topic from @pfcremus and @Redfoxrommy .

It appears they have other info to give as we can see in their OP reactions.

 

Maybe they don't like the fact that OP obviously thinks, it is necessary to make his own thread just to show off his result screen.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KOKOS]
Players
445 posts
6,366 battles
3 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

 

Maybe they don't like the fact that OP obviously thinks, it is necessary to make his own threat just to show off his result screen.

The guy is American, it's "show them what you got" over there. ;)

 

But yeah, could be possible of course.

  • Cool 4
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,282 posts
14,063 battles
2 minutes ago, genosse said:

The guy is American, it's "show them what you got" over there. ;)

 

It's quite pathetic to be honest - imagine everyone doing this...

  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KOKOS]
Players
445 posts
6,366 battles
3 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

It's quite pathetic to be honest - imagine everyone doing this...

I certainly wouldn't do it myself, but I think the forum is a mess right now with all those "X is broken", "Y is crap" threads, so I think it doesn't do much harm - and if it makes the OP happy ...

 

But yeah, I see where you are coming from. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[EHPAD]
Players
56 posts
14,240 battles
17 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

 

Maybe they don't like the fact that OP obviously thinks, it is necessary to make his own thread just to show off his result screen.

That's a good interpretation. But it is useless unless it is written in a post explicitly: "pls don't open bragging or redundant topics". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CAIN]
Players
4,367 posts
18,460 battles

I like the Puerto Rico, it's a solid BC and made me appreciate the Alaska some more. 

 

My first game was a 120k Damage defeat, despite all the Attention the enemy Team gave me. My Team sadly wasn't able to capitalize on that.

3.X Million potential is Nothing to sneeze at, and it made the 'Get Millions of poetantial ,Damage in US Cruiser' a walk in the park. ^^ 

Heck, i even had DDs chasing me around, and reporting me when they smoked up 7km away, reacting somewhat surprised when the Radar goes off... 

 

I guess, it'll take a looong while before the 'Must Focus PR' hype dies down, so it would be nice if we got missions that requires potential Damage in Cruisers. ^^

 

Tl:Dr: it's a good ship, despite the gun issue (BB Dispersion instead of Alaskas CA Dispersion) and i do not regret getting her. 

Will i Play her a lot? No. 

I am not a fan of heavy CAs, and apart from PR memes on stream and missions that require a ship with her abilities, i won't be playing her that much. 

More then my DM/ Salem, not as much as other Cruisers.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KOKOS]
Players
445 posts
6,366 battles
3 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

More then my DM/ Salem, not as much as other Cruisers.

Just for personal reasons, Jethro? Or is the PR 'better' than Salem/DesMo, in your opinion? I'm curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KOKOS]
Players
445 posts
6,366 battles

By the way: My Christmas-grind achievement was to finally burn the "(!) Detected" icon and ship health bar into my glorious LG OLED TV.

 

If that's not a sign of true dedication, I don't know what is.


Anyone interested in an OLED-Saver mod that darkens all those pesky HUD elements? I am thinking of creating one to give those pixels some slack and maaaaybe get rid of those shadows again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,282 posts
14,063 battles
5 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

Is the thread for gaming achievements pathetic?

 

No, but he did not post there did he?

Instead he had to make his own thread, which was the actual point here...:Smile_smile:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CAIN]
Players
4,367 posts
18,460 battles
31 minutes ago, genosse said:

Just for personal reasons, Jethro? Or is the PR 'better' than Salem/DesMo, in your opinion? I'm curious.

 

Personal reasons, mostly. 

 

PR is not better then DM Overall, she is just different. 

Both ships have strengths and Excel at different Tasks, so it's difficult to comapre them directly. 

 

I like to Play very aggressive in my CAs, which is not Always very smart, but can yield very good results and is more fun to Play ( for me at least) then being stationary behind a rock all game Long. 

DM/ Salem do not do very well with gunboating in the open, even when angled, while the PR is quite good at it. 

 

So, i tend to get blapped in my DM which is the reason i don't Play it very often. 

 

In my opinion, PR is better played like a 'light' Montana then a Cruiser.

What worked for me is, rush in with the DD, turn and start kiting away while hammering everything in gun range.

PR can tank the hits, DM can't. 

 

In an one on one duel, the DM will wreck the PR unless the DM Driver is a potato. 

 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KOKOS]
Players
445 posts
6,366 battles
28 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Personal reasons, mostly. 

 

(...)

Thanks for the explanation. :) I was just wondering if PR had some super special/important ability that would make you chose her over DM in, for example, ranked or CW.

 

Got to keep up with the meta etc.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CAIN]
Players
4,367 posts
18,460 battles
39 minutes ago, genosse said:

Thanks for the explanation. :) I was just wondering if PR had some super special/important ability that would make you chose her over DM in, for example, ranked or CW.

 

Got to keep up with the meta etc.

Nah, PR is not a ship i would use in a competitive Environment. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
9,906 battles

OP, please let us know all of your small thoughts on literally everything.

 

#subscribed

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
264 posts
13,759 battles
7 hours ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

 

It's a good ship and you were probably only facing bad players.

 

This is probably true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
241 posts
5,343 battles

Not having her but fought a few I think she's a wee bit better than some have suggested.

Very hard to citadel it appears and takes damage quite well, however, rarely have I seen such a wide variety in basic competency of players who own it.

Seen a few like the OP who knows what he's doing, deals damage and contributes, also saw one kill 6 and get 3k XP!!!

But never have i seen as many who sail backwards at the start and sit behind even the camping BBs or desert a flank as soon as anything with big guns appears. 

 

There is  a real variance in the quality of players, even more so than in other ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
264 posts
13,759 battles
7 hours ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

 

Maybe they don't like the fact that OP obviously thinks, it is necessary to make his own thread just to show off his result screen.

I'm sorry is this not the gameplay section. I was talking about the gameplay of the ship and how it was not as bad as I thought. I mean sure 90% of the post in this section is about how much people hate WG doing x to x or cv bashing, but I fail to see how one could see my thread as anything other then what I have stated unless they were trying to instigate something. 

 

7 hours ago, genosse said:

The guy is American, it's "show them what you got" over there. ;)

 

But yeah, could be possible of course.

Somewhat of misrepresentation of my country but sure why not. Again this was not a brag post. Trust me 120k is nothing to brag about nor is a Kraken. 

7 hours ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

 

It's quite pathetic to be honest - imagine everyone doing this...

Kinda insulting here. Again This was a post about the gameplay of a ship and how my low expectations for the ship were not met. Again too much bashing of x ship on this section of the forum. I added something positive and you felt the need to try and twist it into something else. Sorry, you feel the need to do this but hey it's your life and time.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
264 posts
13,759 battles
1 minute ago, Logan_MountStuart said:

Not having her but fought a few I think she's a wee bit better than some have suggested.

Very hard to citadel it appears and takes damage quite well, however, rarely have I seen such a wide variety in basic competency of players who own it.

Seen a few like the OP who knows what he's doing, deals damage and contributes, also saw one kill 6 and get 3k XP!!!

But never have i seen as many who sail backwards at the start and sit behind even the camping BBs or desert a flank as soon as anything with big guns appears. 

 

There is  a real variance in the quality of players, even more so than in other ships.

I mean the hull shape is that of an IOWA and it has near the same turning as one. It also has 27mm im the bow and stern and 30 on upper belt. This means 406 or higher will go right through the bow and stern and 457 will go right through the upper belt. Personally I play it like I play my Ijn CAs Always moving and always firing as I and turning away and or moving away from the target. I also tend to wait for the target to fire at something else before I open up with my guns.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,282 posts
14,063 battles
1 hour ago, The_Chiv said:

I was talking about the gameplay of the ship and how it was not as bad as I thought. 

 

And your thoughts on the ship (and your result screens) are too important for the existing threads, I understand. 

 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,836 posts
11,531 battles
8 hours ago, Jethro_Grey said:

In an one on one duel, the DM will wreck the PR unless the DM Driver is a potato.

Not entirely sure - PR completely hidden citadel and 40% hp extra means you will spend some time drilling holes with AP. And then 250mm main belt is going to prove to be major pain in the buttocks with even hint of angling.

 

In return PR have the same ricochet angles as you, so attempts to use rear turret even at edge of firing arcs may prove risky.

 

Perfect ship for potatoes, you can't really die fast enough unless torps or half od enemy team is involved

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
264 posts
13,759 battles
34 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

 

And your thoughts on the ship (and your result screens) are too important for the existing threads, I understand. 

 

Again that is your opinion and really I understand why you are upset it is understandable.

 

2 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Not entirely sure - PR completely hidden citadel and 40% hp extra means you will spend some time drilling holes with AP. And then 250mm main belt is going to prove to be major pain in the buttocks with even hint of angling.

 

In return PR have the same ricochet angles as you, so attempts to use rear turret even at edge of firing arcs may prove risky.

 

Perfect ship for potatoes, you can't really die fast enough unless torps or half od enemy team is involved

This is a pretty accurate assessment of that matchup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×