Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Jvd2000

Dedicated captain for your premium Supercruisers.

13 comments in this topic

[SINT]
Players
842 posts
20,475 battles

When I received my first supercruiser Krohnstadt i “automatically “ used my regular Moskwa captain. ( my only russian cruiser captain without IFHE) Normaly I prefer premiums that do not use their own specific captain setup but use a fitting silver line captain. Some ships really demand a different setup ( Belfast, 2ndary build Massa etc) but for me Supercruiser captain -> regular CA captain.

So with Kronh, Alaska, PR and Azuma in port with Moskwa, DM and Zao captains attached I wonder if the match is ideal. My main worry is the fact that supercruisers now burn longer and while FP( fire prevention) is standard on my BB’s it is not on my CA captains.

My high tier CA skills core setup is PT, EM, AR, SI, DE,CE.  With some ships EL. So points to spare, but struggling what to pick with the remaining points since they have to be usefull enough for both CA and super CA.

Any advice?

Players
186 posts
7,810 battles

Once I have the 'main' captain for the silver ship grinded to 19 points I decide if I like a premium that I've been using as a trainer enough to build up a bespoke captain for it. 

Tirpitz was probably the first time I did that back in the day though it worked out as same captain works for the Bismarck once it was added.

[SHAFT]
Players
9,447 posts
8,811 battles

I rather use BB captains on my BCs, for the reason you mentioned: They burn 60 secs.

For Alaska, i use Halsey which is Montana/premium BB captain.

On Kron/Stalin, i use russian BB captain

Dont have either Azuma/Yoshino.

Players
984 posts
11,492 battles

I use Atago/Zao/Yoshino/Azuma as a combo. 

Then Kronshtadt, Stalingrad i use a BB style captain which will later go to moskva i guess. Moskva is good for tank build too. 

I dont have any of the US supers, but id use the monty captain for sure. Cant imagine youd strictly need a designated captain (PT, EM, Vigilance, SI, conceal, AFT,  maybe AR, dunno my exact build) 

For Graf Spee its not worth it at all, use general BB or general cruiser. 

As for exact skills: i consider DE to be useless on virtually any cruiser other than US standard ones. 

AR is also generally useless imo, effect is far too low to spend two points on. Best used on shimakaze, minotaur, dont use it elsewhere. 

PT and EL are great skills for battlecruisers. 

SI depends on the cruiser, generally meh but most BCs arent that skillheavy.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,721 posts
5,270 battles

Can't really go wrong with a straight up survivability+stealth build, which happens to coincide pretty well with the IJN RU and US BB lines, if not as well with their cruisers.

Players
1,611 posts

Best Money you can spend if it comes up again:-

image.png.51d8cedced1bcca12b460c60e708d8a5.png

I tend to use for heavy Battle Cruisers the same build which is different than some CC suggest.

image.thumb.png.dfd8d4d7530d18370a77428dee408f32.png

Same with light and heavy cruisers with a different build on both types.

The only exemption is Smolensk I have a dedicated Captain for that with my own build.  

• Cool 2

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,465 posts
19,600 battles
3 hours ago, Jvd2000 said:

Supercruiser captain -> regular CA captain

Nope, I would never go thee. Supercruisers are too different to accept a CA captain and have top performance.

I went for a dedicated captain for all of my supercruisers, in the case of the Russians with Znamensky, Americans got a Doe, Yoshino just has the Azuma as Japanese don't have a special captain save for Yamamoto and he's on Yamato. Both Russians and Americans get improved EM, Americans also get the 75% EL which is really tasty on Alaska.

FP is important for those ships, but also things like EL and AR. Just using a standard cruiser or battleship captain won't cut the mustard.

AR is also generally useless imo, effect is far too low to spend two points on.

SI depends on the cruiser, generally meh but most BCs arent that skillheavy.

You need a high five. With a chair. To the face.

AR improves the one weakness of the guns all of them have, reload. Sure, 10% might not look much, but it might be the difference between shooting back and going to port.

SI is even better, it should be the go to T3 skill. Every supercruiser has a heal. Fire damage can be healed 100%. The additional charge can heal 14% of HP lost to fire and thanks to massive HP pools it's quite a big number. So I would rate SI a must have.

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
2,790 posts
7,088 battles

Personally i never have a pure dedicated skipper for the Uber cruisers, or any premium ship for that matter, but i generaly use the 19 point skippers of the silver ships that best share the skippers potential/skills with them.

Example.

Moskva skipper shares Kronny and Stalingrad

Bismarck skipper shares Derpitz, Sharnhorst and B variants, PEF, Fat Albert

Kitakaze skipper shares Harekaze, Kamikaze, Tachibana.

• Cool 2

Players
8,061 posts
8,901 battles
7 hours ago, Aragathor said:

Nope, I would never go thee. Supercruisers are too different to accept a CA captain and have top performance.

I went for a dedicated captain for all of my supercruisers, in the case of the Russians with Znamensky, Americans got a Doe, Yoshino just has the Azuma as Japanese don't have a special captain save for Yamamoto and he's on Yamato. Both Russians and Americans get improved EM, Americans also get the 75% EL which is really tasty on Alaska.

FP is important for those ships, but also things like EL and AR. Just using a standard cruiser or battleship captain won't cut the mustard.

Basically the only captain where I don't find it easily interchangeable is the Yoshino, because my Zao uses RPF. But on a Moskva or a DM, what different build is really useful?

DM/Alaska/Puerto Rico: PT, EL, JoAT, AR, SI, CE, FP

Moskva/Stalingrad: Same, unless you want to sacrifice JoAT and either EL or EM to get BoS. But that's an alternative applicable on both ships.

But there really is no other way to build your T10 CAs, none that drastically inmcrease the performance. All skills that are useful for the supercruiser are useful also on the heavy cruiser and the only thing where one can argue about it is FP, but what are you going to put onto your DM otherwise? IFHE? AA skills? Manual Secondaries? RPF is the only skill that could be considered, but even that isn't as useful as it is on other cruisers.

[NWP]
Players
1,331 posts
9,830 battles
8 hours ago, Major_Damage225 said:

Kitakaze skipper shares Harekaze, Kamikaze

I wouldn't 

Kita can profit from IFHE where its a matter of taste on Harekaze and a waste on Kamikaze.

Beta Tester
2,790 posts
7,088 battles
1 hour ago, Saltface said:

I wouldn't 

Kita can profit from IFHE where its a matter of taste on Harekaze and a waste on Kamikaze.

I know, but tbf, for Kamikaze he actually works well, my Kami R was played by only unoptimised skippers in retraning, and my regular Kamikaze was played with Yamamoto, and results of preformance are not to different, that lil gem boat always works well, and i have Yamamoto gun specced for it....... you'd be surprised how many DD's dont expect a kami to go gunboating, and seeing your helth go up after a kraken the chat becomes interesting to mildly put it :Smile_trollface:

Players
8,061 posts
8,901 battles
2 hours ago, Saltface said:

where its a matter of taste on Harekaze

Matter of understanding game mechanics. If you use any other hull than the B hull where you benefit a lot from IFHE, you are basically gimping yourself hard for no reason. At that point, who cares about captain build, you already chose to go for a terrible build anyway.

Sign in to follow this