You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
_Conan_Librarian_

Premium USN cruiser- which one to choose

23 comments in this topic

Players
127 posts
4,221 battles

Hi

I am in need of USN prem cruiser.  Which one to choose?

Wichita for 11800 gold or PR for 15000 gold (tday will finish lvl 5 after turded grind). Is PR so much better and worth 15k gold to stay in perma T10 MM or just stick to T8 which is cheaper and hopefully will get a chance to be top tier

[CAIN]
Players
4,351 posts
18,418 battles

Puerto Rico is not a bad ship, but requires a skilled hand to work properly. But you have to deal with being focused all the time due to PR crap event. 

Wichita is a great ship, basically a premium Baltimore. 

If <i> had to choose, i‘d go for Wichita. But that’s just me. 

You don‘t see TX everytime, you get better XP and credits when you do. CVs will take a dump on you no matter what. You can dumpster lower tier ships, something the PR does not manage everytime. 

PR is sluggish, turns like a brick and you can spot the PR from the moon, which makes insta-radar pointless, unlike Wichita.

PR can, given the opportunity, dumpster B.B. broadsides at longer range then Wichita can, but deals very badly against well played DDs.

Choose wisely.

• Cool 3

Players
9,816 posts
11,501 battles
35 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Puerto Rico is not a bad ship, but requires a skilled hand to work properly. But you have to deal with being focused all the time due to PR crap event. 

Wichita is a great ship, basically a premium Baltimore. 

If <i> had to choose, i‘d go for Wichita. But that’s just me. 

You don‘t see TX everytime, you get better XP and credits when you do. CVs will take a dump on you no matter what. You can dumpster lower tier ships, something the PR does not manage everytime. 

PR is sluggish, turns like a brick and you can spot the PR from the moon, which makes insta-radar pointless, unlike Wichita.

PR can, given the opportunity, dumpster B.B. broadsides at longer range then Wichita can, but deals very badly against well played DDs.

Choose wisely.

I'd say PR is THE noob friendly "cruiser" due to completely underwater citadel and equally balans 71k hp.

Economy wise, T10 "special" ships don't print as much credits as tier 8 or 9, but you have to play extra speschul to go negative on a ship with 45k maintenance cost.

@_Conan_Librarian_

Consider premium paint on DM/Wooster, as IMO premium US cruisers are nothing special, outside of farming Narai in Atlanta

[YEBOI]
Players
292 posts
7,008 battles
11 minutes ago, _Conan_Librarian_ said:

Thanks man, ill go for Wichita

Before you commit funds take a look at some YT vids and reviews. Check out wowsft website if you’re into more detailed stats. If you have enough fxp - Alaska is a very gud bote. 

[CAIN]
Players
4,351 posts
18,418 battles
32 minutes ago, _Conan_Librarian_ said:

Thanks man, ill go for Wichita

19 minutes ago, novents said:

Before you commit funds take a look at some YT vids and reviews. Check out wowsft website if you’re into more detailed stats. If you have enough fxp - Alaska is a very gud bote. 

This! 

As I said, going for Wichita is something <I> would do. 

Ddo you have Alaska btw?

[TKBS]
[TKBS]
Alpha Tester
1,003 posts
10,749 battles

I would take the happy medium if I was you: the Alaska

• Cool 1

Players
6,759 posts
245 battles

Alaska is generally a better pueto rico not because of being a tier lower but generally has far better stats than her tier 10 counterpart.

witicha is pretty gud from what ive heard, but plays very differently to alaska in general.

Players
127 posts
4,221 battles

No i dont have Alaska. Got Wichita and its not bad, sadly short range but 9.5 km spot range is ok for sneaky sneaky. Some wins, some lost games, good credit printer. To be honest i pref to suffer at t8 mm than in T10 where one mistake cost you life. T10 i so cancerous, so many broken ships and CV. I like T8 , still working towards Zao (at t8 now), Hindenburg (T8 aswell, really like german gun handling). Finished grind to Worcester (got Cleveland for a long time, but this line not suits me, hate high arc and very slow shells , so now going  for Des Moines). Probably will go for Italian cruisers, got Gorizia for free and Trento. Cruisers give most fun, USN BBs a not really for me, Iowa so far not so lucky for me. Recently back to game like 3 weeks ago after loooong break and got hit in the face hard with all changes to game. Got frustrated , cant find line that will suits me, watched a lot of Flamu, Flambas and few others and now im catching with changes and slowly adapting. Thx all for advices.

• Cool 1

[SINT]
Players
843 posts
20,498 battles

While Wichita is not bad, she lacks some qualities that the Baltimore has like the better concealments vs radar range and the true heavy ap they Baltimore has and Wichita lacks.

But if you are into a US premium cruiser you have some good and some less  good choices.

Porto Rico: if bought for max price it’s too expensive not that good. Although 15 doubloons due to your earlier  hard work is not that much more ( compared to Wichita cost) since you will receive some extra steel and flags when completing the build.

Salem: a tweaked DesMoines. Free if you have the coal, makes less money then a real premium.

Alaska: good, requires FXP but even when you have to pay FXP conversion it’s better and cheaper then PR.

Wichita: a bit inferior to the Baltimore, but still plays good as a true US CA.

Indianopolis: worse then the NO but has radar at tier 7. Not a bad option, T7 premium is still ok creditwise and offcourse a bit cheaper to buy.

Atlanta: total different boat, needs different captain setup then the regular US silver lines.

Boise: a Helena but with less range but with heal. If you prefer light US cruisers, this might be your pick.

Marblehead(L): might be fun, but no credit farming here. 

There is also an Azure Lane Montpellier ( Tier 8 Cleveland)  but it’s not available now.

Depending on your preferences  I would normally recommend Alaska or Wichita with Bloise as a light cruiser alternative. But since you advanced so far in the PR grind the extra cost vs the Wichita is so minor I would in this case strongly consider PR.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,461 posts
8,816 battles
40 minutes ago, _Conan_Librarian_ said:

Finished grind to Worcester (got Cleveland for a long time, but this line not suits me, hate high arc and very slow shells , so now going  for Des Moines)

DM also has quite slow shells. Someone posted a table with shell speed from T10 Cruisers at different ranges before... cant find it. But DM is definetely n the bottom half there.

Players
127 posts
4,221 battles
9 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

DM also has quite slow shells. Someone posted a table with shell speed from T10 Cruisers at different ranges before... cant find it. But DM is definetely n the bottom half there.

Well im at T7 so no problem for me to grind and check it out. Now i need farm mountain of credits to afford all future ships.

Btw german cruisers looks promising, same as Zao, Venezia seems ok aswell. Wont touch any russian biased crap.

Players
186 posts
7,810 battles

I have the Alaska, love it and it's a great credit grinder, the fact it's tougher than other T9 cruisers makes it a bit more forgiving IMO

I have both that and the Azuma (the other T9 free xp BC) and the Alaska is a country mile better.

[-TPF-]
Players
3,823 posts
15,706 battles
1 hour ago, _Conan_Librarian_ said:

Got Wichita and its not bad, sadly short range but 9.5 km spot range is ok for sneaky sneaky.

Bear in mind you don't have to play her with the radar/DFAA set up.... hydro and spotter gives you much more flexibility. 

Players
127 posts
4,221 battles
7 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Bear in mind you don't have to play her with the radar/DFAA set up.... hydro and spotter gives you much more flexibility. 

True, still catching bastard DD in smoke its so rewarding :P

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,727 posts
5,270 battles
26 minutes ago, _Conan_Librarian_ said:

True, still catching bastard DD in smoke its so rewarding :P

Fun fact: The Indianapolis can do this as well.

Players
264 posts
13,745 battles
4 hours ago, _Conan_Librarian_ said:

Hi

I am in need of USN prem cruiser.  Which one to choose?

Wichita for 11800 gold or PR for 15000 gold (tday will finish lvl 5 after turded grind). Is PR so much better and worth 15k gold to stay in perma T10 MM or just stick to T8 which is cheaper and hopefully will get a chance to be top tier

Witchita hands down. Good USN radar, no heal, Accurate, and no Superheavy ap shells. What's not to love?

edited I forgot the Witchita is not a Baltimore class thus doesn't get the super AP.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,727 posts
5,270 battles
6 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

and Superheavy ap shells

Wrong. She does not have those.

• Cool 1

Players
127 posts
4,221 battles
6 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

Witchita hands down. Good USN radar, Heal, Accurate, and Superheavy ap shells. What's not to love?

Sadly no heal for this bugger. Radar super useful, gun handling is good, AP is fine if some cruiser like to show side, HE cant complain. 9.5 spot range is really great to run away or sneak up

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
804 posts
8,958 battles

Boise

- save some gold

- better MM

- the heal makes a huge difference

Atlanta - optimum ship for completing multiple directives and missions via co-op (fires, main bty hits, ship kills, a/c kills, even torp hits)

[FAILS]
Players
515 posts
19,278 battles
6 minutes ago, cracktrackflak said:

Boise

- save some gold

- better MM

Save gold , yes, but better MM? I feel like tier 7 gets really bad matchmaking and often gets tier 9 games these days since the changes to MM a couple of patches ago. You can farm nicely in Narai though, so there's that.

• Cool 1