Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TheBrut3

Fix the Smolensk shell tracers

39 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
4,046 posts

No, the title doesn't say anything at all. it's a just a demand without backup informations.

 

Enlighten us with your wisdom and tell us what's wrong.

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
289 posts

The tracers start behind the ship, not from the right place where they should be.

Flamu or Flambass said the same on a YT gameplayvid

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BAD-A]
Players
645 posts
9,404 battles
9 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

No, the title doesn't say anything at all. it's a just a demand without backup informations.

 

Enlighten us with your wisdom and tell us what's wrong.

 

The game engine can't keep up with the RPM and doesn't render the tracers from the gun barrel so it's much harder to hit it in smoke as you can't see properly where the ship is by tracer spotting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LEEUW]
[LEEUW]
Players
493 posts
7,783 battles
12 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

No, the title doesn't say anything at all. it's a just a demand without backup informations.

Did you even play the game last months? Every1 that did knows the tracers won't get rendered at the right moment. It should be like the Mino ones, they get rendered when the ship shoots.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CHEFT]
Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles

Thats not exclusive to Smolensk, i have that with every ship these days.

Also id like to add: Torps not being rendered is also a thing...

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,355 posts
9,679 battles

Hello,

          Agreed. Shell tracers on Smolensk could use a rework, trying to hit one in smoke even with a spotter plane is a real pain. Maybe a sneaky form of russian bias. Perhaps @MrConway could let us know if this is a problem being worked on since it's been around for a few months, or if this is intended?

 

Regards,

               Minia

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weekend Tester
872 posts
10,362 battles

Perhaps ships firing from smoke ought to briefly illuminate an area of smoke around them (i.e. from muzzle flash, as in real life).

 

This would give the same "approximate" aiming point for opposing ships as tracers originating at the gun muzzle, but presumably would be vastly lower in server requirements.

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-AP-]
Players
3,031 posts
7,399 battles

This was taken up on reddit a while ago. Wargaming said that its an issue with how he shells are rendered, apparently they are supposed to render a bit away from a ship, because back in the olden days, it was supposed to protect smoke firing destroyers from being blindfired. Anyways, they confirmed that they are looking into if its still necessary, and are probably gonna wind up making them render instantly..

 

I believe its especially bad for smolensk since the render of the shells is probably based on a timer, and smol shells are very fast muzzle velocity. Its also more visible on msolensk because she smoke fire alot.

 

I cant find the exact comment right now, but it was said by either sub_octavian or vessery on reddit about a month or two ago i believe

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,046 posts
1 hour ago, MyopicHedgehog said:

The game engine can't keep up with the RPM and doesn't render the tracers from the gun barrel so it's much harder to hit it in smoke as you can't see properly where the ship is by tracer spotting.

1 hour ago, TheBrut3 said:

Did you even play the game last months? Every1 that did knows the tracers won't get rendered at the right moment. It should be like the Mino ones, they get rendered when the ship shoots.

 

Thanks, but that's known for months. No need to attack for me for something that I have gotten used to and therefore don't notice anymore.

And like @thiextar said: Wargaming is already looking into it.

 

Until then, might I suggest filing proper bug reports, if you havn't done so yet?

Those might be more usefull then posting threads without any real content.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ORM]
Players
142 posts
3,836 battles
3 hours ago, cracktrackflak said:

Perhaps ships firing from smoke ought to briefly illuminate an area of smoke around them (i.e. from muzzle flash, as in real life).

 

This would give the same "approximate" aiming point for opposing ships as tracers originating at the gun muzzle, but presumably would be vastly lower in server requirements.

+1 i like the idea of that, also given that a lot of people discover WOWS through watching videos . streams,  it would look pretty impressive to the casual youtube / twitter viewer as well with smoke clouds being lit up for a split second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
7,319 posts
11,668 battles
3 hours ago, CptMinia said:

Maybe a sneaky form of russian bias. 

 

It happens for all ships tho. If it would be constant, Id say its a silent nerf to smoke shooting, since this has become quite common. But it isnt. Ive had BB shells beeing completly invisible until the moment they pound in my belt. That one occasion I can say with 100% confidence, since I was going in for the brawl, looked at the guys main guns and waited for the shot so I could open the angle to move in and drive by him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,742 posts
27,281 battles
4 hours ago, CptMinia said:

Maybe a sneaky form of russian bias. Perhaps @MrConway could let us know if this is a problem being worked on since it's been around for a few months, or if this is intended? 

Ofc is working as intended. 

When the next nerf to Creme-lin is reducing 50% of the HP of the AA guns, why do you even ask? 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,175 posts
13,169 battles
5 hours ago, Egoleter said:

No, the title doesn't say anything at all. it's a just a demand without backup informations.

 

Enlighten us with your wisdom and tell us what's wrong.

https://streamable.com/yph9b - pay attention of when the Smolensk fires the guns and where the shell tracers appear the first time. This is easily 5 to 6 ship length in between. This makes is extremely difficult, or rather pure RNG, to hit a Smolensk in smoke. Yes, this might be in the game for a while and other ships have this too to some extend, but this does not mean that it's okay as it is, especially on a ship like Smolensk that is already stupidly broken overpowered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LADA]
Players
630 posts
9,189 battles

Do not worry yourselves. WG has it covered.

 

Given the crippling nerfbat that is soon to pound the Kremlin into obscurity - honestly folks, I think survivability-build Yammies are all that'll be left once that bad boy of a nerf takes effect. We can expect the Smolensk to be nerfed to a similarly brutal degree. 

 

I can see it now....Smolensk tracers to be changed in colour from yellow to red. It'll sort it out - really it will....

 

NEVER let it be said that WG hasn't got it's finger on the pulse. 

  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
186 posts
7,903 battles
5 hours ago, cracktrackflak said:

Perhaps ships firing from smoke ought to briefly illuminate an area of smoke around them (i.e. from muzzle flash, as in real life).

 

This would give the same "approximate" aiming point for opposing ships as tracers originating at the gun muzzle, but presumably would be vastly lower in server requirements.

Love that idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
21,014 battles
8 hours ago, cracktrackflak said:

Perhaps ships firing from smoke ought to briefly illuminate an area of smoke around them (i.e. from muzzle flash, as in real life).

 

This would give the same "approximate" aiming point for opposing ships as tracers originating at the gun muzzle, but presumably would be vastly lower in server requirements.

Give another opportunity for a bit of National Colour here - often the RN used "Flashless" NQFP propellent for Naval Guns. (see Battle of North Cape)

Oh did we "lend lease" it to the Soviets for use on Smolensk ? (Balans of course)

 

Of course many nations used Flashless propellent as well, so your IRL point is only somewhat accurate,

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weekend Tester
872 posts
10,362 battles
11 hours ago, Cambera_1 said:

Give another opportunity for a bit of National Colour here - often the RN used "Flashless" NQFP propellent for Naval Guns. (see Battle of North Cape)

Oh did we "lend lease" it to the Soviets for use on Smolensk ? (Balans of course)

 

Of course many nations used Flashless propellent as well, so your IRL point is only somewhat accurate,

 

Well, IRL most ships laid black opaque oil smoke anyway - less for the ones with smoke pots fitted - so i'm just going with the flow of the game!

 

I'm guessing that briefly changing the shading of two or three smoke "puffs" (or however the game renders them) would be less server load than calculating and generating 16+ individual tracers.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-RDE-]
Players
371 posts
29,574 battles

i've noticed lately that the shells themselves aren't even being rendered after firing. makes dodging them a bit impossible as .well ya cant see them.lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,378 posts
4,134 battles
21 hours ago, CptMinia said:

Hello,

          Agreed. Shell tracers on Smolensk could use a rework, trying to hit one in smoke even with a spotter plane is a real pain. Maybe a sneaky form of russian bias. Perhaps @MrConway could let us know if this is a problem being worked on since it's been around for a few months, or if this is intended?

 

Regards,

               Minia

 

We are aware of this but ultimately elected not to make a change here, as it would massively impact destroyers which we don't want to do.

 

But if you are firing at a Smolensk you can adapt and aim a bit further behind to compensate.

  • Funny 5
  • Bad 5
  • Angry 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
101 posts
5,826 battles

Of course.

But if "aiming a bit behind" is the solution, how does it protect DDs then? Shouldnt I just "aim a bit behind" there too?
Just fix the tracers and dont rely on anyone reading forums to get such vital information. Also, how does this relate to Minotaurs tracers which start right at the ship?

Doesn't Mino need some "protection" then as well?

You guys really make it hard sometimes to not subscribe to the Russian bias thing... after all, with such a strong nerf to Kremlin's AA...

image.png

  • Cool 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,359 posts
20,406 battles
4 hours ago, MrConway said:

We are aware of this but ultimately elected not to make a change here, as it would massively impact destroyers which we don't want to do.

 

But if you are firing at a Smolensk you can adapt and aim a bit further behind to compensate.

giphy.gif?cid=790b761169c49edcb3aa3c04a4

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[COMFY]
Players
793 posts
2,080 battles
4 hours ago, MrConway said:

 

We are aware of this but ultimately elected not to make a change here, as it would massively impact destroyers which we don't want to do.

 

But if you are firing at a Smolensk you can adapt and aim a bit further behind to compensate.

....

*looks at this

image.png.71237a6a5b062fcc30637b97f88dcd67.png

*looks at post

did you literally confirm the existence of Russian bias?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×