You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
snddim01

ZARA - How To Play It

14 comments in this topic

[AFLET]
Players
60 posts
18,278 battles

Can anyone give me some advice on the Zara?

I'm attempting to play every tech-tree ship in the game to Elite level. I've just finished everything at tier eight and am beginning on tier nine, with the exception of the Italian cruisers where I'm currently at tier seven. Hence the Zara.

I judge myself by the stats on the WOWS-numbers website. I'm an average player, who usually does better than average on cruisers. By that I mean that I normally get either more kills or higher damage than the average numbers for each ship. However, with the Zara I can confidently state that I absolutely suck. It took me eight games just to get a single kill. My stats are enclosed.

I have a 19 point captain with PT PM EM TA AR TAE Super & RL. Upgrades are MAM1, SGM1, AMS1, SGM2.

I struggle to hit destroyers as because my armour is so squishy I shoot at them from long range and they dodge quite easily. I don't seem to face cruisers very much and every time I go up against a battleship virtually all of my shells bounce off. And yes I'm aiming at the superstructure. Torps are so slow that they rarely connect unless I yolo someone.

I've tried playing ultra cautious for the first half of the battle, but all that usually means is that all my teammates die and so when I enter the battle I'm focussed by four or five. I can't use islands because the shell arcs are so low. Granted, I've only played ten games in it and 70% of them have seen my team collapse so the stats may be distorted, but I just can't do damage in this thing. What are other players doing that the server can average 43K damage per game??? Most of the time I struggle to break 20.

Zara.png

Players
84 posts
1,317 battles

Have you tried Concealment Expert and Expert Loader? Follow the spotter DD, focus enemy DD, if too many ships aim at you, smoke up. Situational AP salvo at broadside cruisers, ignore BBs (or use situational torps in your case). That's how I played Gorizia, worked out fine (20 games, 65% WR). From my limited time I played this game, I'm still confident that early DD kills win games. So I'd try to not play cautious at all, as you need to get relatively close to the enemy DDs early in order to hit them.

On second thought, maybe Luigi Sansonetti also makes a big impact. Hmm. Do you have him?

• Cool 1

Players
3,042 posts
51 minutes ago, snddim01 said:

I'm attempting to play every tech-tree ship in the game to Elite level. I've just finished everything at tier eight and am beginning on tier nine, with the exception of the Italian cruisers where I'm currently at tier seven. Hence the Zara.

I judge myself by the stats on the WOWS-numbers website. I'm an average player, who usually does better than average on cruisers. By that I mean that I normally get either more kills or higher damage than the average numbers for each ship. However, with the Zara I can confidently state that I absolutely suck. It took me eight games just to get a single kill. My stats are enclosed.

I have a 19 point captain with PT PM EM TA AR TAE Super & RL. Upgrades are MAM1, SGM1, AMS1, SGM2.

I struggle to hit destroyers as because my armour is so squishy I shoot at them from long range and they dodge quite easily. I don't seem to face cruisers very much and every time I go up against a battleship virtually all of my shells bounce off. And yes I'm aiming at the superstructure. Torps are so slow that they rarely connect unless I yolo someone.

I've tried playing ultra cautious for the first half of the battle, but all that usually means is that all my teammates die and so when I enter the battle I'm focussed by four or five. I can't use islands because the shell arcs are so low. Granted, I've only played ten games in it and 70% of them have seen my team collapse so the stats may be distorted, but I just can't do damage in this thing. What are other players doing that the server can average 43K damage per game??? Most of the time I struggle to break 20.

Zara.png

Ambush stuff is my best guess, I haven't the best impression of ITA ships (Duca is decent) but Zara is where they start to improve. You can try Gorizia to get how frustrating they can be, which is a Zara wit no torps but some believe better. Most prefer Zara imo. DDs are your best target but as I said approach stealthily and then kite away fast as you can. 

Players
1,738 posts
1 hour ago, snddim01 said:

Zara.png

Take a look at the ship.

Ask your self the following:-

What is this ship good at?

What is this ship bad at?

What are you good at in game? 

What are you bad at in game?...... for example if you are bad at positioning, put on a sticky note - POSITIONING -  and stick the fault you feel needs working on some where you can see it. ( see @StatsBloke wows videos  Y tube ) Only do 1 problem at a time ( 1 sticky note )

What is " my " objective in a game? ( make xp, make coins, win, improve blar blar )

What do I need in Captain skills for this ship to improve some thing? ( does it need more concealment? does it need faster torpedoes? blar blar )

Now Zara :- There is an effective way to play all Italian Cruisers with the tools that WG gave it. I am not going to tell you what that is. You have to work it out, and My way might not work for you.

I will how ever give you a hint :- Sap does not make fires, but does more damage than Italian AP at any angle.

Fig 1 :

image.thumb.png.3e7ad7f61b852c0d5688ee0660551a5b.png

Good Luck

Ask any questions you wish in this thread, If I can help you I will. 

I also suggest you watch Flamu and Noster vids in Y Tube, on the ship ( not sure Flamu made a vid on it )  

Addendum :-

image.thumb.png.acaed2ff089e97dd84692eea580b05a7.png 

• Cool 3

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,649 posts
6,130 battles

@Adm_Ballsey's "how to play-Gorizia" video over in the cruisers part of the forum would be a good place to start @snddim01 While not identical they are sisterships so a lot of the points would be similar.

• Cool 2

Players
3,152 posts
18,127 battles

Pasta cruisers are very MM dependent below tier 8 from all i have read here + my own gameplay experience. fXPing is recommended.

Zara is a copy pasta Trento which is a copy pasta Montegiggolo, so basically a tier 5 ship in tier 7 MM with a few armor and hp improvements.

If you are lucky MM throws a DD heavy game at you and you actually get to influence it, supporting the dds.

If only 1 DD and lots of BBs, get ready to struggle insanely hard for your 40k damage, as BBs will simply use wasd.hax and laugh as your perfectly aimed sAP lands harmlessly anywhere but superstructure. Only tool is random torps, which is surprisingly effective (no doubt unexpected 12 km range for a mid-tier cruiser).

• Cool 1

[AFLET]
Players
60 posts
18,278 battles

Thanks for the advice chaps. Yes I have Sansonetti, but it doesn't help me getting damage when all I seem to face is BBs and most shells bounce off. As an example, after a prolonged battle with a Gneisenau at less than 10km I just put 104 shells into him. Fortunately most of the time his attention was focussed elsewhere, otherwise I wouldn't have lived long enough to get so many hits. We were probably engaged for at least ten minutes. Or rather I was engaging him while he shot at a Kongo nearby while chasing both of us down. (Zara doesn't have the speed to escape him)

After killing the Kongo he made very quick work of me.

He easily dodged all my torps and of the 104 SAP hits which were aimed at his superstructure I got 27 actual penetrations for a grand total of 43K damage.

It therefore appears that you need to be shooting at a same tier battleship for at least 15 minutes, at close range, in order to kill him. While he can take you out in a couple of volleys.

I can genuinely say that after playing 183 ships in the game I  have never found one I hated as much as Zara. After 22 battles in it my win rate has rocketed up to an impressive 36.36%.

[DC_DK]
Players
3,058 posts
33,612 battles

Just play it like a Pensacola know when to switch between SAP and AP and you'll be fine

Players
178 posts
13,447 battles

I had good success with Pensacola. I could abuse islands, I could open water kite,  I could use HE for burning stuff down and could use excellent AP to punish broadsides. All that in Pensacola.

With this ship, however, there is nothing. Sure you can hurt DDs better IF you have a shot at them, but you don't because the fkin thing has abysmal concealment and you cannot follow your DD close enough or else you get wrecked. SAP is pretty bad at T7. Even the smoke firing penalty is awful. Yeah, I get it its to get away safely tool but it's not enough to make this pile of crap competitive gainst,  the other T7 cruisers.

Players
222 posts
12,144 battles

The concealment on these ships seems excessively harsh. I assume its down to the effectiveness of SAP against dd's that they made it so bad so that you can't get near caps easily to try to balance them.

SAP is very effective against dd's and other cruisers.

If you play them similar to Japanese cruisers then you're on the right track. Only issue being the Italians struggle to disengage with their concealment, hence the smoke.

You need a lot fo time to wear down a bb's. If you get them to catch the odd torp, it will save you some time, but that's about all they are good for.

Might also recommend Main Battery mod 1. turrets are slow and this helps, whilst dispersion is already good.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

Honestly, if you want to grind the line, now is the best time to do it. Enough silly people who have no idea what they are doing. Italian cruisers basically are the most opportunistic cruisers out there and while I'd not call these cruisers great, they are playable and can be fun if you just embrace the fact you are playing a meme, not something that is supposed to be great.

SAP cares about two things: angle and armour thickness. As a result, try to aim your shots properly. DDs you can aim for center of mass, cruisers and BBs, aim for extremities and upper belt, as the citadel plating is going to shatter your shells. RU BBs are your greatest enemy, but if you know the armour scheme, even they can be lulz. On Sinop for example, the weak point is the deck. Same with Pyotr. Mid range, shells often will skip off, long range, they fall onto the deck and do damage. Pyotr even has a bit of 38 mm citadel deck that can be hit inbetween X and Y turret. Not reliable, but always fun to see a citadel ribbon. As your shells don't ever cause DoT, you don't have to ever bother shooting to get that one fire. If someone starts to angle too much, don't bother shooting them, get a new target. Use spotter plane if you have to. Due to shells plunging more at range, spotter plane is very good.

Given that all your damage comes from just firing, concealment is also a non-issue imo. Yes, you can devastate DDs, but that is not your main job, so take the shot when necessary, don't go seek glory in the cap. You don't even have hydro, so that should tell you how useful you are there. As you never cease firing, no point in needing great concealment. Stay at range. The ships have great turning radius for topkek dodges. And while the armour isn't stellar, Zara starts getting the 30 mm upper belt for some nice bounces.

And if you get into a situation where the enemy actually grows a brain and starts making life difficult, just throw smoke and leave the trouble to your allies to deal with. Get unnoticed, reposition and start over again.

Torpedoes are there to be launched every now and then at chokepoints or with RPF guessing and might get kills. Be aware that they are slow long range torps and thus prone to getting you pink if you are careless. And frankly, given how absolutely trash these torps are, risking team damage or team kill for an opportunistic hit is just not worth it. So, always be extra careful.

Lastly, your contribution to the team is basically pure damage and controlled aggroing of opponents. No enemy likes getting hit for 3-7k in the side, so at some point they will shoot you and every salvo you dodge is a salvo not doing damage to people who are too unmaneuverable or dumb to dodge. And the key to getting anything done is to support someone else, who can help set up the stage for you to farm, as 1v1, they just angle and your SAP does nothing.

Also, don't be lazy, be smart and realise when to shoot AP. On Montecuccoli, that thing is a pile of trash, but Trento is a heavy cruiser, while shells aren't fast, they are 203 mm and will do a nice number on broadsiding cruisers, while overmatching T5s. Zara gets actual shell velocity, so you can AP citpen cruisers at range. SAP usually cannot do that, with notable exceptions being Ryuujou and Ranger, which get absolutely devastated, once you know where to aim the SAP.

17 hours ago, BlackFish__ said:

I had good success with Pensacola. I could abuse islands, I could open water kite,  I could use HE for burning stuff down and could use excellent AP to punish broadsides. All that in Pensacola.

With this ship, however, there is nothing. Sure you can hurt DDs better IF you have a shot at them, but you don't because the fkin thing has abysmal concealment and you cannot follow your DD close enough or else you get wrecked. SAP is pretty bad at T7. Even the smoke firing penalty is awful. Yeah, I get it its to get away safely tool but it's not enough to make this pile of crap competitive gainst,  the other T7 cruisers.

Pepsicola has barely better concealment than Trento. Zara is stealthier. Trento also doesn't have any better ballistics than the Pensacola, so you can use islands if you want to, Zara meanwhile either sits further behind the island or you just go open water, where Zara is much more useable than Pensacola. Zara and Trento AP also doesn't have improved ricochet angle, but at least Zara has better ballistics, so it can punish ships with less dodges on their part. Not saying Zara and Trento are the greatest thing ever, but short of 10 good guns, the Pepsicola is basically a piece of trash and even the turret traverse is horrendous. Has to be, to justify the guns, but not the top competitive T6 cruiser and certainly not vs T7 (T7 CAs, I'd rate the Myoko as the overall best).

• Cool 1

Players
150 posts
On 1/13/2020 at 6:00 PM, snddim01 said:

Thanks for the advice chaps. Yes I have Sansonetti, but it doesn't help me getting damage when all I seem to face is BBs and most shells bounce off. As an example, after a prolonged battle with a Gneisenau at less than 10km I just put 104 shells into him.

You should shoot at BBs only if there is no other target in range.

Launch your torpedoes liberally, not necessarily at an enemy, but in the general direction where the enemy is, or in gaps between islands and other passages.

Zara is the first good ship of the line, they get better at higher tiers, when you get to Venezia you will be able to get 10K+ damage salvoes on enemy BBs (excluding those from Mother Russia), but be quick because the nerf bait will hit Venezia soon.