You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sunleader

Think there would be Ways of Improving the Overal Potato in this Game ?

74 comments in this topic

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,054 posts
9,366 battles

All Day Now. My Teams basicly had the Level of "Do we Fit behind this Island with 9 People" or "How fast can I as the only DD on my Flank move towards the Opposite Flank to have a Second DD as my Buddy"

The Best Team so far was on Two Brothers where my Team for some Reason Decided. Yeah lets all go to the Middle. And I mean that. They went TO the Middle. They did not go through the Middle. They just all went to the Middle and then clumped up on our Side of the Channel.

And well. We can do think all Day about how some Players will likely never achieve a level of Skill where they can tell a Battle Situation and React Accordingly. This kind of thing demands that you Pay Attention and think about how the Game works and what Consequences a certain Position has.

And as its not something that is the same it also is not exactly something the Game can help with. Because its different all the time and Impossible to Predict.

But something else that often happens. Is actually something that you could actually Improve using an Automatic System because its the same each Battle.

And that is the Question "Where do I go at the Start of the Game"

You See. When I was much newer to this Game. I always wondered this. "Where do I go after Spawning??"

Many of my Friends which dont Play this Game as much also tend to Ask me this each Battle.

And for most Ships this is actually something that can be Answered fairly easily when you know the Ship Class and the Map.

For example. On 2 Brothers when you have 2 DDs. Each DD should ALWAYS go for Capture Point he is Closer to.

BBs for most Part should stay within an Area around their Spawnpoint for at least the first 5 Minutes of a Game.

Cruisers almost always are Expected to take a Position Establishing the Frontline to the Enemy and prevent their Advance on the DDs.

So giving them an on Screen Area Layout where they should Move at Start of the Battle might actually Help Tremendously in at least Preventing the Worst Roflstomps that often Result from a Team Positioning itself entirely Wrong in the Start and then end up with a Side having no DDs and Cruisers and thus BBs becoming Fodder. Or a Side having no BBs at all and thus not being able to Push even tough the Enemy is not Strong on that Side etc.

That Screen Layout would basicly Overlay an Target Area for the Ship to Move towards. And would then Disappear after 1-2 Minutes into the Game. Of course this could be Disabled in the Options for Players who dont want it or think they are good enough to not need it.

And thats just One Help.

Other things to Help New Players should also be considered.

First of all. The First few Games in each Bracket where the Rules Change for example. Could have a Mini Tutorial telling the Player some Useful Information. This would go a Great way in Helping Players understanding the Game.

In Low tiers these Tutorials would mostly tell the Player to Watch out for Torpedoes and Explain them that Different Ships have different Concealments.

For example. Telling a BB Player that DDs are very Stealthy and might not be Seen until they are very Close.

This can be done on a First Encounter Basis.

For example. The First Time the Player Encounters a Dedicated Gun DD. The Game could give a Small Warning. "Gun DDs are Destroyers which can unleash alot of Fire at you especially if they get close enough to Smoke and then Fire at you for up to 2 Minutes from the safety of their Smoke Screen"

Or when the Player First Encounters a Radar Cruiser while in a DD. It could Display a small Info Panel telling the Player "Some Cruisers are Equipped with Radar. Radar can Spot you from 9-12km away regardless of Smoke or Cover and might keep you Spotted for up to 40 Seconds"

When we got Sector Reinforcement. The Game actually such Messsages telling Players to for example Press Sector Reinforcement on Enemy Aircraft :)

So this kind of thing would be easy to do and possibly help alot of Players a bit.

Then there might also be some useful general Info Aids in the Game itself.

For example. We already have Deep Water Torpedoes not show Targeting Aid for Ships that they cant hit anyways. Thus effectively telling People "hey this is not something you can hit"

So how about Expanding this a bit ?

For example the Crosshair could show Red Color when Firing at a Ship where 90% of the Area Facing you cannot be Penetrated using AP if you Currently got it Loaded highlighting the HE Shell Button. Or likewise if an Enemy Ship is Showing you a Flat Broadside where 70% or more of its Surface facing you would be Penetrated highlighting the AP Shell to show you this might be a good time to Load AP.

One Extremely Helpful thing would be to remind Players if their Torpedoes are in Range of a Target they Choose.

Now. I do know that many here think to themselves. "Oh my God. What noob needs that?" or "They should just L2P properly and if they dont they deserve to Die"

But you need to remember. Many Players are Casuals playing this Game maybe Twice a Week. They will never bother Learning beyond Point X. And while they might deserve what they get. They drag others down as well.

So ?

You guys Think this kind of thing could Improve the General Behavior of Players ?

You maybe got more Ideas for Helpful little things that could help Players to make the Right Decisions without taking away the Gameplay itself from them ?

• Cool 8

[YEBOI]
Players
296 posts
9,506 battles

This should be mandatory reading for a lot of people. If only there was a way to pin this somewhere on the forum wall (*cough* mods plez).

The sad sad truth is however that most players don’t have a “growth” mindset and are often unwilling or unprepared to embrace the fact that they need to learn and improve. Those who do want to improve will always find a way. 

• Cool 2

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles

It is not that I suck as player but ship that killed me is op  I need to go to forum to enlighten dev's to nerf it. 

It is not that I play bad but I just have steing of 3.000 games with bad luck and my wr sits on 41%  it is not my fault

I play for fun

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
1,313 posts
19,716 battles
58 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

So ?

You guys Think this kind of thing could Improve the General Behavior of Players ?

I firmly believe that issue is in players and not the game or lack of tutorials. If a person wants to learn and improve he'll find a way to do so. If not, no amount of hand holding will help him. And when it comes to "hand holding", I think it's contra productive. Game is easy as it is, Introduce "go here and wait" layout or pop up messages saying "switch to HE", "angle!!", "ship you are targeting is showing broadside, switch to AP"... that's just brain dead gameplay. You might as well go read a book and let the game play by itself.

All that being said, I can see it getting implemented in near future. Game is being dumbed down on regular basis. Lets see how low we can go.

:Smile_child:

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
4,506 posts
15,942 battles

Dumbing the game down is one way to level the playfield. 4 years of new content, gimmicks, new mechanics, etc, in a free game with new players coming in... There's a reason why there are so many bad players in the game.

• Cool 3

Players
3,654 posts
14,315 battles
1 hour ago, Sunleader said:

*snip*

I made a thread like this once. And I got ripped apart by the "I pLaY 4 pHuN " crew.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 3

Players
3,348 posts
11,722 battles

The horse has already bolted.  Nothing WG can do to drag it back.

What they should have done is an introduction that cant be skipped. Examples of targets and ammo type, angling benefits and what sort of ships do what, including the use of a map. 

Then there is no excuses.

But considering they never did it on the hardest class to master back then (RTS) CV's, i'm sure they wont with other classes.  One of the reasons there was sooo many bad RST CV players.

WG gave them nothing to go off. 

Anyway, the skill of the player base is now the lowest it has ever been since Beta. it's shocking and we gotta live with it. 

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
1,016 posts
8 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

I made a thread like this once. And I got ripped apart by the "I pLaY 4 pHuN " crew.

some might like sucking ...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
3,152 posts
18,127 battles

That Screen Layout would basicly Overlay an Target Area for the Ship to Move towards. And would then Disappear after 1-2 Minutes into the Game.

Good idea in theory. However...

Usual snowflakes I meet complains about the chat being used to direct tactics.

We'd just see complaints on forum about annoying overlay from < 45% wr players:fish_palm: 

Other solution is to play ranked games and get >R10, that gets alot better  than randoms (mayb the worst potatoes dont know you can change battle type :Smile_teethhappy:)

• Cool 1

[CHEFT]
Players
12,251 posts
9,841 battles

For example. We already have Deep Water Torpedoes not show Targeting Aid for Ships that they cant hit anyways. Thus effectively telling People "hey this is not something you can hit"

The amount of people that cant grasp that... they wont bother with anything else either. Maybe if you strap them to an open wire and hit them with an electric current if the do something stupid :cap_yes:

Probably their mentality is like

- Aims with DWTs at DD

- Game: You cant hit that

- Player: I SHOW YOU!!!!

• Funny 1

Players
3,348 posts
11,722 battles
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

The amount of people that cant grasp that... they wont bother with anything else either. Maybe if you strap them to an open wire and hit them with an electric current if the do something stupid :cap_yes:

- Aims with DWTs at DD

Lol.

I have seen people in Ernest fire torps 16 km away with 8 km torps at a stationary target. 

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,054 posts
9,366 battles
1 hour ago, Camperdown said:

Are you German (in View of your Use of Capitalisation).

Yes

1 hour ago, novents said:

This should be mandatory reading for a lot of people. If only there was a way to pin this somewhere on the forum wall (*cough* mods plez).

The sad sad truth is however that most players don’t have a “growth” mindset and are often unwilling or unprepared to embrace the fact that they need to learn and improve. Those who do want to improve will always find a way. 

All the more Reason to Provide Visual Aid for Players which dont Learn for whatever reason and thus make them better even if they dont understand why its better.

1 hour ago, veslingr said:

It is not that I suck as player but ship that killed me is op  I need to go to forum to enlighten dev's to nerf it. 

It is not that I play bad but I just have steing of 3.000 games with bad luck and my wr sits on 41%  it is not my fault

I play for fun

Sorry but I will Discard your Opinion.

Your only Playing CVs. Which is currently Overloaded with Visual Aid and even entire Game Mechanics to prevent them from messing up too Horrible.

So your Viewpoint is Biased and not Reliable as an Objective Source of Information.

19 minutes ago, quickr said:

I firmly believe that issue is in players and not the game or lack of tutorials. If a person wants to learn and improve he'll find a way to do so. If not, no amount of hand holding will help him. And when it comes to "hand holding", I think it's contra productive. Game is easy as it is, Introduce "go here and wait" layout or pop up messages saying "switch to HE", "angle!!", "ship you are targeting is showing broadside, switch to AP"... that's just brain dead gameplay. You might as well go read a book and let the game play by itself.

All that being said, I can see it getting implemented in near future. Game is being dumbed down on regular basis. Lets see how low we can go.

:Smile_child:

The Game is not Easy at all to be Honest.

No PvP Game ever is easy. Because Players do not confirm to Difficulty.

And that is exactly why some extend of Handholding Improves Gameplay Experience for the Players which learn by themselves.

90% of the Playerbase never Reads Guides or Visits the Forum. So if you want to teach them anything. You have to do it Ingame :)

And maybe Realize this.

If we dont find a Way to Tell these Players how to Play the Game halfwat Properly. Then indeed you will get the Game Dumbed Down.

But then WG will not Dumb Down the Game with such little Info and Help Displays.

They will Dumb it down by removing and simplifying Game Mechanics.

For example. Player is too Stupid to realize when AP and when HE is appropriate to Fire ?

Well just make HE work in every Situation so Player can just use HE all Day.

Player cant manage Plane Reserves ? Well just make Planes Respawn over Time.

Your Choice if you rather have Bad Player Aided with some Info and Help or if you want your Game Mechanics to be Dumbed down so much that Bad Players no longer need the help and you no longer have the Choice to Play better :)

6 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

As you can See. I am more worried about the Elitists which basicly scream L2P, L2P ^^

5 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

The horse has already bolted.  Nothing WG can do to drag it back.

If you lose Hope you lose Everything.

There is always something that can be done.

If there isnt we could all just stop Playing and wait for the next Game ;)

8 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Inb4 complaints on forum about annoying overlay from < 45% wr players:fish_palm: 

Usual snowflakes I meet complains about the chat being used to direct tactics:fish_boom:

Thats fine. It can be Disabled in Options.

But Game given Info is more Reliable than some Random Guy in Chat telling people where to go.

Just Today I had some guy which kept telling me to go long Flank in my DD and ignore the Capture Point. A BB which was scared of Enemy Shima.

Joke is. I was 5.5km from the Map Border at the edge of that Capture Point.

So Shima would not have been able to pass me anyways.

5 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

- Aims with DWTs at DD

True for the Odd Snowflake.

But for each of these Snowflakes you have 10 Players which will at least after trying it once Realize "Oh wait. So this means I cant hit this Ship with these Torps"

And these 10 Players will Improve with such Visual Aid.

• Funny 1

Players
3,348 posts
11,722 battles
Just now, Sunleader said:

If there isnt we could all just stop Playing and wait for the next Game ;)

And there is the rub.

There isn't regarding warships.

if there was, i am sure that 3/4 of this forum would leave this company (with an appalling reputation) and it's game and join the new one.

WG has totally monopolised this. 

Plus WG hasn't done it in 5 years.  They wont now. 

• Cool 4

Players
2,043 posts
3,814 battles

Even wierder is the fact that sometimes i look at the profile of certain players (like Flamu does), and they have way more battles than me, yet, they still play like crap. I consider myself an average player (with around 52% win rate) or at least a player that knows the f***** basics of the game. 

This Flamu's clips sums everything

https://www.twitch.tv/flamuu/clip/EntertainingIronicDiamondSwiftRage?filter=clips&range=all&sort=time

• Cool 1

Players
3,152 posts
18,127 battles
2 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Thats fine. It can be Disabled in Options.

But Game given Info is more Reliable than some Random Guy in Chat telling people where to go.

Just Today I had some guy which kept telling me to go long Flank in my DD and ignore the Capture Point. A BB which was scared of Enemy Shima.

Joke is. I was 5.5km from the Map Border at the edge of that Capture Point.

So Shima would not have been able to pass me anyways.

True.

Honestly the only way I see to educate players is the carrot, with hefty final rewards for completing 1v1 challenges in PvE similar to the PvP sprint season and perhaps a bit more complicated (explaining about crossfires/radars etc is one thing, making the challenge impossible without dying is a better teacher). That also keeps their efforts to fail from bothering other players.

Players
10,334 posts
12,044 battles

Most people DON'T want to put any mental effort when playing games, WoWs or otherwise. Any "obligatory" tutorials, even with meaty rewards will simply discourage people and thus reduce WG potential revenue.

Basically games for normies are bit more interactive version of TV, something you turn on and turn your brain off.

Players
3,152 posts
18,127 battles
7 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Most people DON'T want to put any mental effort when playing games, WoWs or otherwise. Any "obligatory" tutorials, even with meaty rewards will simply discourage people and thus reduce WG potential revenue.

Basically games for normies are bit more interactive version of TV, something you turn on and turn your brain off.

Tutorials yes. Challenges is another matter. Starcraft is a good example of a game that did it  right.

[BS4]
Players
1,426 posts
7,880 battles
40 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

, angling benefits and what sort of ships do what, including the use of a map. 

Agree. Possible requirements for rewards should include get 100 Deflections/ricochets, this could be utilised much better and should be fairly easy to include in the game?

21 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

I have seen people in Ernest fire torps 16 km away with 8 km torps at a stationary target. 

yeah I see this too...along with my personal favourite "Im using hydro"...about 20 secs after start of game.

• Cool 1

Players
10,334 posts
12,044 battles
1 minute ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Tutorials yes. Challenges is another matter. Starcraft is a good example of a game that did it  right.

Strategy games, in case you've missed, are very niche market compared to shooters of varying sorts. I mean, name alone implies putting at least pinch of thought:cap_book:

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,973 posts
22,092 battles

The first step in making the level of play better would be to replace the devs with people that care about the game.

Then we can talk about teaching potatoes.

• Cool 9

Players
3,348 posts
11,722 battles
7 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

The first step in making the level of play better would be to replace the devs with people that care about the game.

Then we can talk about teaching potatoes.

Not a truer word said.  The cold truth.

:cap_tea:

Players
3,348 posts
11,722 battles
28 minutes ago, wot_2016_gunner said:

Even wierder is the fact that sometimes i look at the profile of certain players (like Flamu does), and they have way more battles than me, yet, they still play like crap. I consider myself an average player (with around 52% win rate) or at least a player that knows the f***** basics of the game. 

This Flamu's clips sums everything

https://www.twitch.tv/flamuu/clip/EntertainingIronicDiamondSwiftRage?filter=clips&range=all&sort=time

I would be over the moon if i had players with 52% WR. 

That is a good WG now, trust me.  

13,450 games with a 43% isnt.

Then you have a team full of them (11 players, not a single one of them above 50%).  No OP ship in the world, even me in the Kaga on RTS could drag a team like that to a win with 6 kills now-a-days. 

What i wouldn't give to have 50% in my team.  Really. 

I cant do solo games now. Far too much dragging required when they don't even deserve it. 

• Cool 2

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,973 posts
22,092 battles
2 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Not a truer word said.  The cold truth.

:cap_tea:

Which most likely will end in me getting a warning or even a year ban from the forum, because we all know why.

• Cool 2