You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Floofz

Decisions decisions decisions

25 comments in this topic

[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,175 posts
6,418 battles

I am aware of the stupidity of this post but I need some advice, or rather ideas, or maybe even venting.

Whatever, heres the thing. Tomorrow my Puerto Rico build will enter stage 6 after which I will finish it with 15k doubloons as I started too late for it to finish within the timeframe. That is not the question at hand, the question is, I get an extra 2k steel for the last bit. This means that with the coupon I can buy any steel ship available but I just can not for the life of me decide on what to get.

I want to get a tier 10, as I would have most use for it in CB and ranked, so that leaves Bourgogne, Stalingrad and Somers. The most common response to this is to follow my playstyle and pick whatever suits me the best. The thing is thou, I dont have a particular playstyle and I dont have a particular main class. Yes Ive played BBs the most but that is mostly only because I started grinding the BB lines first, Im a much better cruiser or DD player.

So to start off with Bourogne. It looks like fun but it also looks like youd spend a lot of time in the backline spamming HE unless you get an opportunity to flank. Its also the exact same model as Alsace, its also a ship that has never existed. Then again, not a lot of people have it and I would probably rarely have the chance to pick up enough steel to get it, as it is the most expensive of the ships. I do think thou that it would see limited use in CB and ranked.

The next is the Stalingrad. Obviously its brokenly OP and very useful in CB and Ranked, even thou we have plenty of them in our clan. Its also unique in both looks and playstyle and not completely fictional either. However, Im not a huge fan of cruisers with massive citadels and a huge spotting range. I dont really enjoy Moskva and I just doubt Id love Stalingrad. Also Im not a huge fan of the model of it, it looks very bland and boring.

The last one is Somers. It has a definite advantage in it being an actual real ship, and its a US ship. I have almost all US ships in the game (except for Benham and Ohio) and I have the best captains and knowledge with them.  Plus I only have one tier 10 Destroyer and it would be nice to get another one, especially for one I would already have a 19p captain. The problem is that Somers just seems like a worse Shima and I just dont see why Id pick Somers instead of a legendary mod Gearing or even a Shima. The ship just seems pointless for a steelship. Steel is difficult to get and takes a long time to grind so you would rather have a ship that is atleast somewhat unique.

Now Ill be honest and say, none of these ships tickles me in the right places if you know what I mean. If I could pick any resource ship Id rather have Thunderer, but I dont want to spend steel on it and because I intend to get the captains first I wont have enough coal to spare for Thunderer before the coupon expires. So the natural thing to do would be to just hold off and see what comes up. However theres no ship currently being tested, or even planned that interests me at all. 

I know its impossible for someone else to say what I should do but maybe pointers and advice?

• Cool 2

Players
7,243 posts
11,668 battles

Bourgogne is a lot of fun. You dont need to spam long range HE either. Can even cita Kurfürst on 21 km with AP. Brawling with the speed & reload boost is hilarious, no other BB can really offer that.

[PNAVY]
[PNAVY]
Beta Tester
417 posts
8,450 battles

What Forlorn said... only the Bourgogne really offers a unique playstyle compared to the silvervariants... 

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,126 posts
14,353 battles
12 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

...or just hold on to your steel a bit longer. Plan for the future... :cap_old:

I agree - it may be a while before more ships for steel will be available but why buy a ship you don't think you will enjoy?

It would be nice if they were available to all on the PT but WoWS does not do that - I know in WoT for the PT you were given a lot of resources (gold etc) to be able to unlock some T10s (fro scratch) or even some special vehicles (so long as they were available in-game).

[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,175 posts
6,418 battles

Thing is I rarely play T10 in randoms and even thou Bourgogne might be fun it has almost no use in CB which is a massive downside. Both Somers and Stalingrad are much more usable that way. I also really dont like it being a simple copy/paste Alsace.

If I were picking a ship for randoms alone Id easely get Bourgogne, or then Id even look at tier 9 ships and maybe get Neustrashimy.

• Cool 1

Players
627 posts
3,743 battles

I have a similar issues but with coal. I have 300k now but nothing to buy with it. Hang on for further coal ships I guess and hope for Benham or similar DD.

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,249 posts
23,343 battles

You want to avoid gunfights in CBs so the Somers' weak guns don't matter much. The torpedoes have enough range to hit radar cruisers and you can spam them quite often. It was used in Kots, can't be bad for CBs.

[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,175 posts
6,418 battles
9 minutes ago, Ze_Reckless said:

You want to avoid gunfights in CBs so the Somers' weak guns don't matter much. The torpedoes have enough range to hit radar cruisers and you can spam them quite often. It was used in Kots, can't be bad for CBs.

I have no doubt its good and I have no issues with the guns or anything else on the ship either if Im honest. What I have issues with is that for a steel ship it seems pointless. It is extremely similar in every stat and playstyle to the Shima but the Shima just seems a bit better at everything.

Players
3,040 posts

I got Gorizia finally.

Let me tell ya dis.

Not impressed. But still I will pretend I like the darn thing and give it a try :)

So what i'm saying is don't be sad if you don't get PR (I won't), it probably won't be that good anyway.

Players
2,522 posts
14,731 battles
22 minutes ago, lossi_2018 said:

I got Gorizia finally.

Let me tell ya dis.

Not impressed. But still I will pretend I like the darn thing and give it a try :)

So what i'm saying is don't be sad if you don't get PR (I won't), it probably won't be that good anyway.

But hel gets PR, he asks about steel TX not t7 Gorizia. Did you even read?

OP.

If you have to spend yours steel get Somers for CB, torps have good range, there's plenty of them and you do not need guns for CB. USA smoke is always good for team.

Your clan has plenty of Stalins and you do not  like it, so what the point in getting one.

French BB is fun from what I've seen in randoms, but then not much use in CB and if you do not play much TX random games it is a waste.

So either Somers or hold your steel and wait. You can try PR in CB as well.

[RAIN]
Community Contributor
1,307 posts
17,315 battles
1 hour ago, Floofz said:

Thing is I rarely play T10 in randoms and even thou Bourgogne might be fun it has almost no use in CB which is a massive downside. Both Somers and Stalingrad are much more usable that way. I also really dont like it being a simple copy/paste Alsace.

If I were picking a ship for randoms alone Id easely get Bourgogne, or then Id even look at tier 9 ships and maybe get Neustrashimy.

Clearly no.

It's one of the most usefull BB in CB , but ofc depend of the team's strategy.

Players
3,040 posts
8 minutes ago, DariusJacek said:

But hel gets PR, he asks about steel TX not t7 Gorizia. Did you even read?

OP.

If you have to spend yours steel get Somers for CB, torps have good range, there's plenty of them and you do not need guns for CB. USA smoke is always good for team.

Your clan has plenty of Stalins and you do not  like it, so what the point in getting one.

French BB is fun from what I've seen in randoms, but then not much use in CB and if you do not play much TX random games it is a waste.

So either Somers or hold your steel and wait. You can try PR in CB as well.

I read only titles mostly sorry :)

[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,175 posts
6,418 battles
7 hours ago, malimoo said:

Clearly no.

It's one of the most usefull BB in CB , but ofc depend of the team's strategy.

Oh Im sure it can be. But my clan leader values Kremlin much higher and I rarely play BB in CB anyway. I have a feeling I wouldnt get to run Bourgogne a whole lot if I got it. Stalingrad I know Id use, but at the same time since I just got PR if I could pick I think Id rather play PR, its a more enjoyable playstyle that just sitting bow in and tanking.

The whole thing with Somers, as fun as it seems to be I just cant get over the fact that it is just a worse Shima. Worse concealment, worse torpedoes and fewer of them. Yes they reload faster but they also do much less damage. And compared to Gearing that Ive played a lot in CBs. Since I have legendary mod on it Somers has much worse concealment, much less gun dpm, worse torpedoreload and even thou it has 3 launchers it only has 2 torps more because it has a 3*4 instead of a 2*5. It just seems like a pretty bad deal.

WG why did you make it so haaaaard......

[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,175 posts
6,418 battles
27 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

That steel is really burning you up... :fish_nerv:

Not anymore, I bought Stalingrad. Its the only ship I feel like I have actual use for. I was tempted to convert it to coal and buy Thunderer but I feel like that would be stupid.

• Cool 2

Players
3,571 posts
20,665 battles

It actually sounded you didnt have a need for a tier 10 CB ship. I buy lower tier steel ships just for random to have fun in. Got flint and black. Enjoy the Stalingrad though. Ill never buy that thing, looks terribly boring :cap_old:

Players
2,714 posts
32,813 battles
23 minutes ago, Floofz said:

Not anymore, I bought Stalingrad. Its the only ship I feel like I have actual use for. I was tempted to convert it to coal and buy Thunderer but I feel like that would be stupid.

Since you play all classes and for general use Bourgogne would be best pick. But you also mentioned wanting to use it at CBs would make stalingrad and somers better candidates, and between the two, Stalingrad would be my first pick for both ranked, CBs and  randoms by far. U did the right purchase, hf :cap_like:

[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,175 posts
6,418 battles

So after two battles (defeats ofcourse because you know random matchmaker and all that :Smile-_tongue:) this ship is a whole new level of broken. Its not as tanky as I thought it would be but the guns are just on a new level. You reliably citadel BBs from 20 km away and fast reload and deadly accurate. 

[JRM]
Players
7,500 posts
27,554 battles

Stalin is the correct pick as the first steel ship to get if cb are a concern, most cw so far were 1bb only usually occupied by Yamato sniper with rest of slots divided between cas and dds, as the somers doesnt provide any extra feature compared to silver dds its less accute to have one for the lineup then a semi bb that stalin is...

[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,175 posts
6,418 battles
1 minute ago, Yedwy said:

Stalin is the correct pick as the first steel ship to get if cb are a concern, most cw so far were 1bb only usually occupied by Yamato sniper with rest of slots divided between cas and dds, as the somers doesnt provide any extra feature compared to silver dds its less accute to have one for the lineup then a semi bb that stalin is...

Indeed I really feel like I made the right decision. Stalingrad is a lot more fun to play than I thought it would be. I can almost sell the Moskva now cause it feels absolutely useless compared to this. The only thing Moskva might be a bit better at is DD hunting but none of the ships are very good in that role.

Now I just need to test out the Puerto Rico and see which is best. But thatll have to be later today.

[JRM]
Players
7,500 posts
27,554 battles

Stalin and Moskva are more different then alike IMHO, one is a CC relying on catching broadsides of CAs and BBs with heavy AP rounds only swiching to HE when there is nothing better to do and other one a typical heavy cruiser relying more on HE and fire damage and only using AP when presented with a perfect opportunity to strike some quick citadels...

As for PR she doesnt have Stalins shell speed and range and she doesnt have Yoshinos super HE either so using her for sniping is IMO a waste, in a more stationary situation sure she can do it in a pinch but basing her on that is a waste of potential, she is hard to citadel and has thick plate on extremities making her good roaming hunter killer that unloads 12 shells in an unsuspecting foe and then kites away or presses the advsntage depending on circumstances, now how she will fare in CB remains to be seen but for Randoms she is great...

[-SBF-]
[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
739 posts
14,953 battles
2 hours ago, Europizza said:

It actually sounded you didnt have a need for a tier 10 CB ship. I buy lower tier steel ships just for random to have fun in. Got flint and black. Enjoy the Stalingrad though. Ill never buy that thing, looks terribly boring :cap_old:

This coming from one who loves Smolensk gameplay :Smile_amazed::Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

Players
3,571 posts
20,665 battles
6 hours ago, Lieut_Gruber said:

This coming from one who loves Smolensk gameplay :Smile_amazed::Smile_teethhappy:

Its the smell of napalm on Stalingrads that brings me joy, not the Smol gameplay per se :Smile_trollface: