Jump to content
Flandre Bug Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Camperdown

best DDs for each tier?

61 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[LUZ1]
Players
1,145 posts
13,772 battles

Hi, I am starting to build a collection of mid-tier DDs.

Which do you find best in each tier? I prefer generalist DDs, with decent concealment, decent torps (range > detection range + 1 km) and decent gun power.

 

Edited for clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,626 posts
7,604 battles
3 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

I prefer generalist DDs, with decent concealment, decent torps (range 8km or more) and decent gun power.

 

In lower tier?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LUZ1]
Players
1,145 posts
13,772 battles
Just now, Capra76 said:

 

In lower tier?

up to tier 7

or let me put it this way: torp range > detection range + 1km

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,973 posts
13,469 battles

Low tier DDs with 8km torps or more? 

Basicly IJN torp DD line is your only option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,626 posts
7,604 battles
3 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

up to tier 7

 

 

Well, T7 isn't lower tier, and the only ships that are decent all-rounders with longish range torps are going to be at T7.

 

Gadjah Mada probably still the best by a long way, then take your pick of the rest of T7.

 

 

Edit:

 

Fushun at T6 with a 12 point captain is very strong as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,652 posts
14,315 battles

Best silver tech tree DD for each tier?

 

4: Clemson

5: Minekaze

6: Farragut

7: Gajdah 
 

Prems

 

5: Fujin/Kamikaze

6: T-61

7: Haida

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
7,237 posts
11,667 battles
17 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

or let me put it this way: torp range > detection range + 1km

indeed this then:

17 minutes ago, kfa said:

Basicly IJN torp DD line is your only option.  

anyway, Id go with these:

T2: Tachibana
T3: Vampire
T4: Isokaze

T5: Nicholas

T6: T-61

T7: Z-39

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,150 posts
18,072 battles

If you want stealth torp ability on low tiers: IJN is it. Unfortunately, guns are trash untill tier 7.

List of fun silver DDs in mid tiers:

 

Tier 4: Clemson (yolo torps)

Tier 5: Shenyang, Kamikaze sisters, Minekaze.

Tier 6: Fushun

Tier 7: Gadjah Mada, Jervis, Shiratsuyu. 

 

Honorable mention to my favorite downtiered Shimakaze: Benham:Smile_trollface:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CHEFT]
Players
12,227 posts
9,841 battles

Gonna throw in Jaguar on T5 because 8km torps. And they are fast! Downside ofc, you dont have a smoke (which you shouldnt need anyway)

 

T6: T-61 if thats an option, or Fubuki which i enjoyed playing.

T7: Gadjah or Z-39

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
4,468 posts
18,502 battles

There are a lot of good ones. If I had a least favourite set if would be the German ones - T-61 is very good but still suffers from anaemic guns.

 

Bestest of them all are

 

II - Enseigne Gabolde

III - Valkyrie

IV - Clemson

V - Jaguar

VI - T-61, Aigle, Guepard, Icarus, Monaghan, Fubuki

VII - Mahan, Haida

 

Honourable mention for Podvoisky, which is ludicrous fun. Play the French ones first, though, to get the super speed playstyle. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[UA-NF]
Players
511 posts
8,203 battles

I'd say british line is closest to your requirements, especially tier 7 Jervis. Very good concealment, outspots anything but japanese DDs, outguns most DDs, except russians and french, and 8km single launch torps and 3km hydro on top of that. Very good vor DD hunting. But if DD counterplay is not your style, and you prefer sitting in smoke and spamming bullets aka Friesland, then american DDs would be a better choice. Maass is also very strong if you just wanna bully other DDs, but it's weak vs carrier, while british DDs are good vs carrier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts

Doesn't it actually depend what you intend to do with that DD ?

 

- torpedo BB from stealth ( long range torpedos )

- fight other DD ( guns and fast short range torpedos )

 

A lot of players seem to think DD like Asashio are "crap" but when it does not run into other DD or is exposed by CV ( which is more likely if you stay well away from caps ) they can be match winning instruments with rediculous influence on the outcome. Removing multiple BB from a flank is kinda disastrous.

 

DD killer DD ( fighting for caps ) have to compete with DD killer Cruisers and rocket aircraft afterall....their role is important but their impact on the match often a lot less. But a stealth torpedo boat caught by a DD killer does not do that well either.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
4,468 posts
18,502 battles
1 minute ago, Beastofwar said:

Doesn't it actually depend what you intend to do with that DD ?

 

- torpedo BB from stealth ( long range torpedos )

- fight other DD ( guns and fast short range torpedos )

Jaguar can do both, which is why I'd pick it for Tier V. People aren't expecting fast 8k torps at that Tier, you can get the concealment down to around 6.4k so have plenty of Torp range even without smoke, strong guns and a good HP pool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NHSOS]
Players
280 posts
11,457 battles

2 V25 or Longjiang

3 Valkyrie or Derzki

4 V170 or Izyaslav or Shenyang (or Clemson if u have 19 skill captain)

5 Nicholas (or Kamikaze if no CV) or Okhotnik

6 T61 or Fushun or Fubuki

7 Gadjah Mada or Z39 or Mahan

8 Lo Yang or Harekaze or Kagero or Lightning

9 here r the best DDs of the game except maybe Udaloi

10 Gearing or Shimakaze, but there is no real bad DD in this tier, just different gameplay

 

I take that in every game u encounter CV

 

the way u want to play is not correct. try all this ships in Public Test in coop, to understand their gameplay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
7,909 posts
40,344 battles

T2 - V-25

T3 - Vampire

T4 - Clemson

T5 - Kamikaze

T6 - T-61

T7 - Haida

T8 - Kidd , Cossack/Lightning and LoYang

T9 - Black, Kitakaze and Benham

T10 - Daring and Somers

Ofc this is only my list, your might disagree totally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,703 posts
20,991 battles
1 hour ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Tier 5: Shenyang

 

Shenyang is a T4 DD. :Smile_hiding:

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,576 posts
15,046 battles
2 hours ago, Camperdown said:

Which do you find best in each tier?

I tend to go for premiums, partly because of the improved economy, and partly because I tend to have better captains available (unless a silver ship is so much fun that I've kept a decent captain on it, e.g. GM).

  • Tier V: any of the Kami sisters, annoyingly if you don't have one - only available through gambling crates at the moment. There are several 'honourable mentions' elsewhere, but 'best' means Kamikaze.
  • Tier VI: T-61 (smoke/hydro, and acceptable-to-good at everything), with an honourable mention to Shinonome, which has the main merit of being free (via the campaign) as well as being pretty decent.
  • Tier VII: things start to get interesting here; my personal favourite is Haida (excellent concealment, creeping smoke, defensive hydro with ludicrous run time, plus good dakka), although Z-39 runs it a close second (smoke/hydro, concealment mod availability, although main guns too big for BFT).
  • Tier VIII: I still like Loyang a lot, although Kidd is a giggle if you have competent team-mates and/or hate CVs. Cossack is also excellent, although I marginally prefer Haida, tier-for-tier; Harekaze is also a 'must have' for DD fiends, although its availability is very occasional.

Bear in mind though that, as I'm sure you know, 'best' will depend a lot on which ones gel most effectively with your preferred play-style...

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KAKE]
Players
2,785 posts
6,795 battles

Previously I would have called Gallant a decent T6 allround DD, but it's been basically body-slammed into the sidelines by T-61.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
896 posts
6,058 battles
1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

I tend to go for premiums, partly because of the improved economy, and partly because I tend to have better captains available (unless a silver ship is so much fun that I've kept a decent captain on it, e.g. GM).

  • Tier V: any of the Kami sisters, annoyingly if you don't have one - only available through gambling crates at the moment. There are several 'honourable mentions' elsewhere, but 'best' means Kamikaze.
  • Tier VI: T-61 (smoke/hydro, and acceptable-to-good at everything), with an honourable mention to Shinonome, which has the main merit of being free (via the campaign) as well as being pretty decent.
  • Tier VII: things start to get interesting here; my personal favourite is Haida (excellent concealment, creeping smoke, defensive hydro with ludicrous run time, plus good dakka), although Z-39 runs it a close second (smoke/hydro, concealment mod availability, although main guns too big for BFT).
  • Tier VIII: I still like Loyang a lot, although Kidd is a giggle if you have competent team-mates and/or hate CVs. Cossack is also excellent, although I marginally prefer Haida, tier-for-tier; Harekaze is also a 'must have' for DD fiends, although its availability is very occasional.

Bear in mind though that, as I'm sure you know, 'best' will depend a lot on which ones gel most effectively with your preferred play-style...

 

What campaign gets you Shinonome?

 

I have not come across anything about that ship....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KAKE]
Players
2,785 posts
6,795 battles
30 minutes ago, Dutchy_2019 said:

What campaign gets you Shinonome?

Honorable Service.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,576 posts
15,046 battles
26 minutes ago, Dutchy_2019 said:

 

What campaign gets you Shinonome?

 

I have not come across anything about that ship....

It's Honorable [sic] Service - the second permanent one (you also get an 11 point captain too). For anyone who hasn't done campaigns before, the key thing to not forget is that you can repeat missions, to earn extra stars.

 

Wiki entry: https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Shinonome

 

BTW if it's available, the optional 'National' permaflage is quite worthwhile: it gives you the usual bonuses, plus +35% credits and +100% xp (versus just +50% xp for the standard one), although you do (did?) have to pay for it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
130 posts
15,583 battles
11 saat önce, Perekotypole dedi:

I'd say british line is closest to your requirements, especially tier 7 Jervis. Very good concealment, outspots anything but japanese DDs, outguns most DDs, except russians and french, and 8km single launch torps and 3km hydro on top of that. Very good vor DD hunting. But if DD counterplay is not your style, and you prefer sitting in smoke and spamming bullets aka Friesland, then american DDs would be a better choice. Maass is also very strong if you just wanna bully other DDs, but it's weak vs carrier, while british DDs are good vs carrier.

Jervis torp range 7 km 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NHSOS]
Players
126 posts
3,546 battles
13 hours ago, Uglesett said:

Previously I would have called Gallant a decent T6 allround DD, but it's been basically body-slammed into the sidelines by T-61.

Gallant or Anshan

but yes T61 is the best. Is VERY rare that all agree with that. Is the measure of the success of the ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×