You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Grimmblut

Ranked sprint - "any non-cv" vs CV

87 comments in this topic

[GWJC]
[GWJC]
Beta Tester
98 posts
6,675 battles

Who in their right mind thought this would be a good idea? To rank a single non-CV ship against a CV of the same level.

It may be a little amusement for the CV. But it's utter frustrating for the other player. Minor positive events are not remembered, but when people feel betrayed - and this is nothing short of betrayal - then they will remember it for a long time. I know I will.

Spoiler

cd0e78ddc3544e3daa52fe25c2996780.thumb.jpg.b742f6c4b071943dbc6d7f7df490250d.jpg76e02e6933dea2dc1d27216392272578.thumb.jpg.2ad63aed69ad1f76ab71d5f24576795e.jpgc6b7b19025e9f6882a482424bc4f2ae2.thumb.jpg.ed4d77f2e4bf52043905e45a6b7c437f.jpg76e02e6933dea2dc1d27216392272578.thumb.jpg.2ad63aed69ad1f76ab71d5f24576795e.jpg1b25bfcb8e49a3b80026ece0145be533.thumb.jpg.67814787deac0f1ffc7aaffb8fb2660d.jpg

f7a1a5edb1e285a29405b8266f65a134.jpg

• Funny 1

[-TAP-]
Players
259 posts
7,732 battles

Aye, in a 1 v 1 scenario like this, it's almost impossible for the non-CV to win (unless the CV is particularly 'special').  That said, I've had 20 games so far this sprint, and have yet to see a CV (other than mine, on the three times I took it out before feeling guilty and switching back to DDs).  Possibly confirmation bias, but it seems that there is at least some effort being made to mirror the classes - the majority of my DD lineups have been against other DDs (5 against DD, 3 against cruisers).  When playing BBs I've been matched against BBs (7 times) and a cruiser (once).  All three CV games were against cruisers, so I'm guessing the other CVs have just wandered off or ranked out.

Players
223 posts
4,775 battles

Played mainly Hipper, saw 2 CVs in 12 battles, only just lost to Enterprise and defeated Saipan.  

If it's a good CV player he will beat you, if it's a poor or cocky one, you have a chance, but that can go for any ship.

• Cool 3

Players
721 posts

I've played 2 in a cruiser vs a CV. Lost the first because I tried heading towards him to kill him after capping.

Won the 2nd. Capped both caps in the gap between planes (torp bombers are dodgeable). Then sailed away and won on points.

My basic strategy in future will be to cap and run away.

You don't need to stay alive long, if you have both caps, in order to win.

• Cool 2

[UAC]
Players
657 posts
2,215 battles

Don't know about non-CVs vs CV, but yesterday I defeat a kagero in a north carolina :Smile_trollface:

Players
2,753 posts

It is a difficult mode for CVs. You need to kill opponent fast or you will lose. There are ships that are hard to kill within the timeframe with 2 red caps ticking against you. It is doable but not easy. It is getting harder each day that passes since the first couple of days were filled with newbies that run away since. Whoever managed to rank out first days was a bit lucky (and ofc very capable)

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[-TAP-]
Players
259 posts
7,732 battles

Finally found the first CV opponent in my 48th game - I was in a lightning, so my only realistic chance was the tried and trusted cap and hide technique; worked this time at least.

• Cool 2

[BHSFL]
Players
2,983 posts

All players going down against CV have listened to El2aZer and Sunleader too much as they claimed "AA does not exist" and Cv are overpowered....

Wonder oh wonder....AA does exist, you have a rudder and a throttle ( need to change course and speed all the time ) and you can improve all of them with modules and captain sklls.

You are just trying to win with ineffective "survivability" builds you were used to in randoms that wont work in very small maps 1:1. You will not burn down....you won't need more hitpoints or more repairs.

You just evade attacks and kill the other guy QUICK ! Or let the counter run out on them.....choice is yours.

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1

Players
1,171 posts
6,254 battles
1 hour ago, lossi_2018 said:

It is a difficult mode for CVs. You need to kill opponent fast or you will lose. There are ships that are hard to kill within the timeframe with 2 red caps ticking against you. It is doable but not easy. It is getting harder each day that passes since the first couple of days were filled with newbies that run away since. Whoever managed to rank out first days was a bit lucky (and ofc very capable)

Depends on what you face and what you play. A viable strategy for DDs is to run into the cap and smoke up, cap both caps but then you need to survive long enough to win on points. Edinburgh works for this aswell, and Kutuzov I guess.

GZ is probably the best CV for this mode simply because it can defend itself with great secondaries. You wont be able to keep ships away from you, especially not BBs. So being able to hold your own is a bonus.

If youre lucky you can also slow them down with floods.

Players
6,192 posts
10,352 battles
1 minute ago, Beastofwar said:

All players going down against CV have listened to El2aZer and Sunleader too much as they claimed "AA does not exist" and Cv are overpowered....

I think you overestimate their powers. But maybe they can also cure cancer and other deadly deseases? All they need to do, is to claim, it doesnt exist and boom : cured!

• Funny 1

Players
1,171 posts
6,254 battles
2 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Wonder oh wonder....AA does exist, you have a rudder and a throttle ( need to change course and speed all the time ) and you can improve all of them with modules and captain sklls.

You are just trying to win with ineffective "survivability" builds you were used to in randoms that wont work in very small maps 1:1. You will not burn down....you won't need more hitpoints or more repairs.

You just evade attacks and kill the other guys QUICK !

No. Just like El2aZer says AA doesnt do anything if you avoid flak clouds. CVs are balanced because CV players are bad. A good CV player will crap on anyone and anything. How do you dodge rocket planes? Or Graf Zeppelins divebombers who is a small circle? Or Lexington and Enterprise torp spread that does MASSIVE damage?

[BHSFL]
Players
2,983 posts
Just now, Floofz said:

No. Just like El2aZer says AA doesnt do anything if you avoid flak clouds. CVs are balanced because CV players are bad. A good CV player will crap on anyone and anything. How do you dodge rocket planes? Or Graf Zeppelins divebombers who is a small circle? Or Lexington and Enterprise torp spread that does MASSIVE damage?

You ask the Cruisers and DD that do kill CV that, because they are there too....they just don't complain as much as they don't need too.....

But in that case these mentioned players that deny AA exists or is effective hastily state that those CV were "misplayed"  Ofcourse...sure...lol ! :Smile_facepalm::Smile_veryhappy:

• Boring 1
  • Bad 3

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,147 posts
16,242 battles
2 hours ago, lossi_2018 said:

Or just play Graf Zeppelin specced to secodnaries and go cap youself 

[SHAFT]
[SHAFT]
Players
1,030 posts
22,149 battles

Used three ships, for mission grinding that is, Akizuki, Martel and Tirpitz, that was fun.  Didn't have a problem against cvs, maybe I was lucky, I ran into a Graf Zeppelin but he wasn't secondaries' specced, maybe that's what saved me in that match.

• Cool 2

Players
1,845 posts
12,554 battles
6 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

You ask the Cruisers and DD that do kill CV that, because they are there too....they just don't complain as much as they don't need too.....

But in that case these mentioned players that deny AA exists or is effective hastily state that those CV were "misplayed"  Ofcourse...sure...lol ! :Smile_facepalm::Smile_veryhappy:

Killed 2 yesterday with smokeless Edin with 10 pointer only. But games ended very very close both times and they were average CV players with about 55 wr in CVs. So it means poor in reality as I am similar CV stat wise and I know how much I need to learn and even more I do not know yet what can be done to improve. 

I'd like to see unicum vs unicum only 1 vs 1 like this.

It would be interesting wich class would be best of all. My bet is on CVs or BBs: Tirp or Massa.

Players
7,775 posts
8,664 battles
21 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

AA exists?

1289725434_GZAA.thumb.png.6cae957eafcd07c46a7a0a571c382061.png

Spoiler

1230076675_GZAAII.thumb.jpg.8c46d38bfbdf6bb5bdfa568a7f49e559.jpg

Look at these crippling plane losses against one of the classes with best AA and constant fighter cover. 6 goddamn planes. And only torps used, so the enemy had 100% AA for the whole game.

Basically, the only thing you can try to do is dodge, because everything else is a joke and dodging for the most part is too, because anyone with an idea how to use dive bombers and rockets properly will kill you anyway. This much I can tell you as someone who isn't El2aZeR or Sunleader, but just someone who has a crude idea of what they are doing in a CV.

The only thing that actually can be painful are fighter planes and well... that's why I play GZ.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
1,315 posts
9,523 battles
7 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

that those CV were "misplayed"

Lets put your theory to the test.

Assume two players. CV Player A and CV Player B.

Player A avoids easily the majority of AA fire (which is generated by the system NOT the target player) and lands his ordnance nice and clean on his target. And boasts a very healthy WR.

Player B does not avoid the majority of AA fire (which is generated by the same system as for player A) loses his planes and his attacks are ineffective and boasts a red WR.

Now, I am confident that Player A played correctly and Player B misplayed.

Since Player A manages to avoid AA fire (which is system generated, therefore it is standard and not depending on the ability of the target) there is a correct play.

Lets see now, wonder oh wonder, the second part of your allegations. That throttle and rudder can stand in as AA or to be fair as tools to avoid strikes not AA per se. Unfortunately, math proves you wrong. Only torpedoes can be dodged and to be honest a good torp drop will not be dodged. Tell us how long an attack run lasts in seconds, how much correction can the CV player make and what speed change or course change you will achieve (as a target) in the few seconds a CV attack lasts. Take serious note here that you really don't need to dodge a bad players attack. Bad players make messy attacks. No need to dodge.

And I have personal experience with my AA set ups. Against a good player they are useless. If the CV Player misplays they will do "something".

Now, you state that there are Cruisers and DDs that kill CVs. True there are some. Also hermaphrodites see birth. Are they the norm? Since when the exception to the rule define the standard? Yes, we have bad CV players that manage to get killed by a DD or a Cruiser. That does not mean that Cruisers or DDs are the counterplay to CVs. They are simply the exceptions.

In brief, as per my observations (as a DD main) and as per the statements of the proven good CV players, AA is useless and there is no real counter against a CV except if the CV player is a bad player.

Final word, when players that have proven their quality in game by wining over their opponents say something technical about the game, it is to be taken seriously. When big mouths boast omniscient status I will just pass.

• Cool 4

[BHSFL]
Players
2,983 posts
26 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Lets put your theory to the test.

blah

Now in a previous post you said you killed with a DD within 1:31 min or somehing like that. Beating my 1:51 min in some French Cruisers fairly. Why don't you kill a GZ - that are often stupid enough to come to the cap shortening the travel considerably  - in such short time then ?? Well why exactly not, what is preventing you from rushing in at such tiny maps and just ordinary torpedo it eh ?

Because how many squadrons could they have lauched by then.....If you have been sunk in that short time, maybe they are correct wth their popular word ""misplayed" But i do not believe you would sink that fast.

As far as AA goes......so the Great and Mighty  ones ( :Smile_teethhappy: ) that claim "AA does nothing" really say they can evade FLAK. Well let them evade FLAK all they want.....invest in continuous damage AA then, you cannot dodge that. Dodge them while it does it's work.....and for the love of the game, BOOST them ( AFT/BFT, using 'O' and AA consumables )

• Funny 1

Players
6,192 posts
10,352 battles

.invest in continuous damage AA then, you cannot dodge that. Dodge them while it does it's work.....and for the love of the game, BOOST them ( AFT/BFT, using 'O' and AA consumables )

Do we really need to pull out the calculator again and show you, how many MINUTES it takes to shoot down a squad with continous damage? Do you ever think about, what you write? BFT? Are you serious? 10% of a base damage of 29, while one plane has 1480 health? Thats Hosho vs Orion. So you suggest to invest 3 skill points (on T4!) to deal THREE more damage tick to a plane with 1480 health - and there is 6 per squad. You are seriously the only one claiming, this is usefull AA and a usefull skill.

• Cool 3

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,639 posts
19,058 battles
10 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

invest in continuous damage AA then, you cannot dodge that.

There are so many ways to cheese DPS it's not even funny.

[KOTS]
[KOTS]
Players
26 posts
8,460 battles
1 hour ago, Floofz said:

Depends on what you face and what you play. A viable strategy for DDs is to run into the cap and smoke up, cap both caps but then you need to survive long enough to win on points. Edinburgh works for this aswell, and Kutuzov I guess.

GZ is probably the best CV for this mode simply because it can defend itself with great secondaries. You wont be able to keep ships away from you, especially not BBs. So being able to hold your own is a bonus.

If youre lucky you can also slow them down with floods.

i stopped running smoke in edinburgh went fighter plane and worked a treat I didnt lose a single game against cv's with either setup

[BHSFL]
Players
2,983 posts
11 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Do we really need to pull out the calculator again and show you, how many MINUTES it takes to shoot down a squad with continous damage? Do you ever think about, what you write? BFT? Are you serious? 10% of a base damage of 29, while one plane has 1480 health? Thats Hosho vs Orion. So you suggest to invest 3 skill points (on T4!) to deal THREE more damage tick to a plane with 1480 health - and there is 6 per squad. You are seriously the only one claiming, this is usefull AA and a usefull skill.

T4 what ??

We were talking T8 ranked Sprint no ? And you can select the ship you want to use, some have poor continous AA, others very acceptable continuous AA. So if you fear all those bad CV, you take a ship that has pretty acceptable continuous AA and BOOST them.

In DD for expampe you need only kill a 1-2 squads worth of rocket fighters ( don't have to kill them all* ) before the CV becomes pretty much ineffective......not is whole complement of its aircraft ! GZ and Big E torpedo bombers and AP bombers are no threat to DD.......

* It is better a few survive so you can see where they fly off to.....returning planes always point directly to where the CV is.....attacking planes dont...many players fall for that as i have noticed myself. They charge the direction where my attack is coming from.....to find ampty sea. And that in such a small map....

• Boring 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,639 posts
19,058 battles

In DD for expampe you need only kill a few squads of rocket fighters before the CV becomes pretty much ineffective......not is whole complement of its aircraft !

That would imply any DD can even do that.