You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

0.8.11.1, Ranked Sprint: Tier VIII Duels

141 comments in this topic

Players
2,652 posts
5 minutes ago, powerverde said:

The mode is fun. Playing against a cv isnt fun if he knows what he is doing.

I mean, agaisnt a competent cv player the balance is nonexistent. It can only be countered with an Amalfi.

And so, there's no fun in a game you cant win.

I think the best way is to stick to which ever ship works best for you. As a BB player, never seen a CV yet. Tirpitz is worst threat I have to encounter, sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. On average though, I win enough to make it worthwhile for me.

[LUSOS]
[LUSOS]
Players
208 posts
15,195 battles
14 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

I think the best way is to stick to which ever ship works best for you. As a BB player, never seen a CV yet. Tirpitz is worst threat I have to encounter, sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. On average though, I win enough to make it worthwhile for me.

well, i used this ranked season to level up my kiev and my amalfi, so it was fun, profitable and grinding while it lasted :)

• Cool 2

[SRW]
Players
1,941 posts
7,960 battles

I played with Amalfi and I got 11k coal and Brindisi in the process. Fine by me.

When I faced BBs like Tirpitz, I'd just exit the battle, no need to waste my time on a battle I have no chance of winning.

• Cool 1

Players
1,923 posts
18,521 battles
6 hours ago, Palubarac said:

When I faced BBs like Tirpitz, I'd just exit the battle, no need to waste my time on a battle I have no chance of winning.

So you chose to waste the other guy's time because of your terrible ship pick? How nice ... You could at least have the decency to rush in with this fast boat and end it in 2 minutes.

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
884 posts

Was going to say something about the 1 v 1 format, but I can't be asked. Not going to touch it.

[SRW]
Players
1,941 posts
7,960 battles
3 hours ago, Ze_Reckless said:

So you chose to waste the other guy's time because of your terrible ship pick? How nice ... You could at least have the decency to rush in with this fast boat and end it in 2 minutes.

I told the guys my position and exited the battle(s).

So instead of both of us wasting 3 minutes, he has to waste 5 minutes instead.

He gets a star for the 'trouble', I go for another chance. 

I don't see anything bad about it.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[OZYR]
[OZYR]
Players
273 posts
7,088 battles
1 hour ago, Palubarac said:

I told the guys my position and exited the battle(s).

So instead of both of us wasting 3 minutes, he has to waste 5 minutes instead.

He gets a star for the 'trouble', I go for another chance. 

I don't see anything bad about it.

THat's EXACTLY what I did vs CV's. At first. Then there were no CV"S after that...

Edit Also here were some early battles when I simply just quit with telling it first why. Then the game got the message...

Players
4 posts
3,417 battles

So in fact all Tirpiz players had a blast, because they had no skill brainless ship for this 1vs1 mode.

Im sure Tirpiz sales went up during sprint so mission succeeded for WG.

• Cool 1

[FR_C]
Players
5 posts
4,168 battles

Hi WG..

It was a pleasure to discover this one vs one game for this season BUT like in many cases in your game the pleasure was short due to unfair conditions

Main :

Tirpitz can participate (want to know why i say that... i m sure not)

Some Cossack too (all time spotted.. nice...)

CV's (really ??) (need a very bad cv player to win... lol)

So was at start a very good idear BUT as well WG make it unfair and at final i don t have a good remenber for this event (same for gifts... so poor gifts... so poor)

May be.. may be...opponents can use only "normal" ships.. no premium etc

Happy new year... 

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
25 posts
5,867 battles

Hi @Crysantos Any idea on when the next Ranked Sprint 1vs1 will come?

I kind of missed the last one - you know holydays.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
3,116 posts
13,391 battles
2 hours ago, kiowa said:

Hi @Crysantos Any idea on when the next Ranked Sprint 1vs1 will come?

I kind of missed the last one - you know holydays.

Oh too early to say, but I hope rather sooner than later!

[THESO]
Players
799 posts
13,009 battles

So after the Ranked 1v1 Sprint has ended, I want to give some feedback.

Dear @Excavatus, in this text I may have hidden an offensive word. I don't want to rob you of the opportunity to check for it, tho.

- 1v1 in general:

Was and is imo a great idea. I learned a lot about my flaws and the psychology of baiting my opponent into a favorable position and about reading their minds. I learned that my overconfidence gets me killed and their overconfidence kills them. I lost battles where I thought they are a safe bet and I won battles where I thought I don't stand a chance. Frankly, players who abandoned the battle when facing a tough anemy missed the "Kobayasi Maru"-point of the exercise. So I lose, but I find out how close I can get. There was this Enterprise that I got to within 2km. He won and yet he broke quite a sweat I bet.

- 1v1 with preferential matchmaking:

We can see it in the data on this sprint and experiences of players seem to reflect that the matchmaking actually gave priority to matching players against an opponent of the same class. That for one increased the number of exciting and fair duels. But it also was unfair for certain players, relying on hard counters. The correct assumption of many players was that secondary specced BBs would be by far the most played ships. For certain players it made sense to e.g. play Kagero or even Asashio. These players were however mostly matched against DDs. Asashio practically stands no chance, where the expectation must have been to encounter at least 40% BBs and win.

Wargaming gave the player base incomplete information on the event which made people believe MM was totally random and not preferential. Some classes and players may have benefited from that surprise, other who were comitted to one ship, may have benn frustrated. That communication should be better in the future and the matchmaking should be clear and either purely random or mirrored. Anything between creates confusion.

- 1v1 with mirrored MM:

I still think this would be the best mode. I want to play against a human being and I want it to be an even fight, a fair duel. When I lose I cannot blame anything but myself and when I win I know it was my play, not some advantage. I think this wouldbe a healthy experience for our often toxic community in which we all are way to eager to blame 11 ever changing players for our losses rather than the one constant team member.

- the rewards:

Were okay. One might argue that duels were quicker than normal Ranked, so even with a higher number of battles played, the overall time invested was shorter. But the duels were quite intense and I couldn't play them in quick succession as I would have done with normal Ranked battles. So the rewards, including breaks, were similar to usual Ranked.

- progression through the ranks:

I see a flaw here. The best players ranked out with a minimum of 36 battles. Basically all above average players would win 50%+x of their battles, ranking out after less than 72 battles. That creates and effect where after a certain time into the event all good players are finished and no longer participating. Also bad players will be playing multiple of battles compared to good players. So duels get easier at the end of the event. That is unfair to players engaging early and it biases results.

A better design in 1v1 as probably for Ranked in general would be to restrict the number of battles for all players. That would prevent players from forcing their way to a rank that is undeserved and make the rank an actually meaningful measure of quality rather than stubbornness. Ranks than would be defined by quantiles of the number of wins. That should go hand in hand with more generous rewards, since by design less people would get to top ranks.

- the fun factor:

1v1 was tremendous fun for me. But it was also a bit stressful as I played duels to be done with it in time. I would enjoy it more, if duels were available all the time or for a longer time rather than just a week. Within that week I was a bit fed up with it and now I would enjoy a duel every now and then, just for fun or to test a ship. Anyway I'd like to see more of those duels, maybe restricted to event ships for more equality

- respect:

I can say I only encountered neutral or friendly players. Ofc my yolos didn't give them much time to write anyway. The level of mutual respect was comparable to Clan Battles. That is a positive outcome.

- my individual experience (Le Fantasque):

I chose Le Fantasque as my only ship for this sprint.

I don't like playing premium ships for events, since I forgo to grind a silver ship. Alternatively I could have picked Richelieu, Monarch, Ognevoi or Edinburgh, all of which are rather weak in 1v1 brawling situations. Le Fantasque on the other side has the speed to rush strong opponents and enough hard hitting torpedos to dev strike most opponents, if you hit them right. Basically it was a gamble of not going for the best winrate but a mix of winrate and quick duels to progress fast and get Le Fantasque elited in the process.

That tactic went pretty well. Le Fantasque makes use of the special speed boost upgrade. Together with a speed flag that gives her 52 kts of speed over 270 seconds, enough to rush out of the spawn into a favorable or unexpected position and have enough time left to use the boost for a surprise torpedo rush. RPF and Concealment are essential as you have no hydro or other means to locate your opponents and you need to feel how close they are so you rush them at the right moment. Concealment is important to reach cover without being detected. All-in-all I didn't need to put in a lot of effeort to make it work. A 14pt captain was sufficient, since there is no prolonged engagement, so no AR, BFT, AFT, IFHE or DE and whatnot. You are not going for gun damage, just survive long enough to dump your torps at less than 2km. So PM, LS, SE, CE and  RPF are your basic yet perfectly sufficient build. You don't need a lot of flags, since you are not interested in DoT but pure torp alpha. That said, you take detonation flag and maybe the speed flag.

The hardest targets were CVs, cruisers and cautious BBs on open maps.

- CVs in 1v1:

I think CVs are just too powerful for a single ship. The sprint would have shown that clearer, had there not been the preferential MM. If CVs were not matched mostly agasinst CVs, their WR would have skyrocketed. Wargaming needs to ask themselves if all classes are supposed to be played on a principle of equality, being played by anyone without respect to player quality or achievement and equal in their basic impact on the battle. If some ships are supposed to be more influential, that consequentially should change the way to unlock them in terms of less powerful ships for starters and more influential ones for veterans. Mind, I am not advocating any of these two principles, just saying one should not mix them.

- the epiphany:

This event like none before had the potential to show us how excellent some player-ship combinations can be and how terribly inferior others are. Ofc there would be dedicated CV players winning all 36 , i.e. 100%, of their battles in Enterprise, but also very skilled players doing so in Tirpitz.

Our condolences go out to certain individuals who struggled to rank out in ships like Asashio. I hope this was part of a bet rewarding you with a sports car or at least 365 litres of beer.

Unfortunately we still don't know exactly how persistent players will be to rank out on such an event. There were some unnamed and unshamed players with more than 400 resp. 500 duels played who did not rank out or never left rank 10. Would they have played the more than 7000 duels required to rank out at their given winrate? We will never know.

What we do know is this: Whenever now a player blames his teams in Random battles, we can easily look up his results in the 1v1 season and refer him to his bad individual performance. We know they will still come up with some weird explanation or conspiracy that explains why they lost a lot although being a top player. In case of the Asashio they have a point, but then again if you were that unfamiliar with the blatant weaknesses of your ship that you chose it for this event, that's on you.

And in general, if you were significantly below 50% on this, you might consider investing a few minutes into watching tutorials and less into the game itself.

Players
26 posts
6,872 battles

TBH I didnt think that I would like 1v1. But I absolutely did! I played all my games in my Massa since that is my favorite t8 ship. And not even GZ or DD's stopped me. 85% Winrate. Tirpitz where the ships best matched but aslong as u make them chase it doesnt have a chance. Closest game where agains a Edin. I thought it would be super easy but it wasnt. Overpens overpens and overpens. He torped me but thx to massas torpedobelt I survived. 5 seconds before he would have won on points I finally got a double citadel on him and ended the game. 

Beta Tester
153 posts
6,580 battles

Took me a bit to find it out, but it was quite fun afterwards. good thing you would not loose starts for a loss.

I finished the whole sprint with an Akizuki, and an at the end 10 point captain.

I have a Bismark but with a crappy captain, was getting outgunned in the secondaries by all the full upgraded Tripitzes, so I gave that up after a few battles.

The majority of battles were against Bismarks and Triptzes, had 1 or 2 Massachusetts, a lot of Hippers and Prinz Eugen 3-4 carriers and a handful of destroyers.

Bismark and Tirpitz were a disaster to play against when I tried my normal tactic of kyteing. In one battle I thought what the hell get if over with quick and charged in, with engine boost, then noticed with that speed and going nearly straight on I would not get that much damage, and be able to let my torpedos go at suicidal range, that paired with a torpedo reload booster, made sure I had a fighting chance against the big german BBs.

Cruisers were not a big issue, could outrun and out dpm them, only issue I had was with the Chapayev her guns hit really hard.

DDs was just a matter of outdueling them, if they tried the smoke screen and hydro trick, either just keep firing at their last position and adjust when you see the splashes or retreat for a minute until the hydro expires.

Carriers were just boring, rush the cap, dodge, smoke up let the timer expire. If the carrier player is good you will not get to the last part. :)

Only sunk 1 carrier a Graf Zeppelin,

Since he has a high detection range I could spot him from the cap, and get closer to fire. The he somehow tried to outduel me with his secondaries, that was a bad idea.

Would have wished to see more DDs, but as I mentioned 80% or more where Bismark, Tirpitz, Hipper, Prinz Eugen.

Problem is just that the ships in 1vs1 are unbalanced, some are just superior.

It is not really the skill that is needed here you just need to have the right ship and the right captain, and you can barely loose. If I subtract the games I played against the german BBs from my stats for the sprint I guess it would be in the 80% winrate. And I am not even close to being that good, it is just that the Akizuki is as overpowered as the Tirpitz is for 1 vs 1.