You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

0.8.11.1, Ranked Sprint: Tier VIII Duels

141 comments in this topic

Players
13 posts

Amalfi was my cruiser of choice. First first ranks were mostly a breeze, many players were almost bewildered as they weren't used to Italian Cruisers.

Ranks 5 down to 1 were a different story.

Took me a lot of losses, especially on the last star to grind, but I got there in the end. The last five ranks are where it gets really brutal. A lot of decent fighters there.

Would have been nice to see some artwork on attaining the final star for the 10,000 coal as recognition of my efforts but meh I guess. Was hoping that the rewards would include a flag and some steel too etc.

Hardest fighting was against German cruisers and BBs. Easiest was sometimes the American BB class, the Ashasio, British DDs.

Carriers were mostly wins, but with the Amalfi the smoke screen is a real boon for closing the distance. GZ with 20,000 damage torps was a freaking shocker though.

Fought one Russian BB and defeated it easily. Atago was hard but Tirpitz and sometimes Bismark was a toughie.

• Cool 2

Players
20 posts
16,262 battles

This mode was the best fun I have had in years. +1 WG.

The only thing I did not like is that once I got to rank one I could not play it no more!

• Cool 1

Players
802 posts
11,300 battles

A lot of people are really enjoying this Sprint, and you've packaged together a number of innovations:

Can't lose stars, so everyone will Rank out after 40 victories regardless.

Set base XP and earnings for losers and winners, just like CBs.

Faster capture progress and more points, forcing players to fight around over-lapping caps.

Smaller map sizes. Some very tight turns to make for BBs and some sneaky islands to use.

It's mega fun!

Against that though it's not really anything to do with Ranked, since you can't lose progress. With the cumulative effect of 200% XP to first win I'm not using the planned Tirpitz/Bismarck combo to Rank out asap but am using the daily first win with the fixed base xp, some flags and camos, to basically help with the grind on eight Tier 8 ships (Amagi, Bismarck, Monarch, NC, Richelieu, Vladivostock, Benson, and Lightning; although haven't managed a win with Benson yet).

So it's about what was expected after playing on the PTS, good and bad. I hope we can see the format again, or something very similar to it, in the future.

Oh, and thank you for fixing the Directives so that Ranked is not excluded from progress there. I hope that was the original intention and someone made a mistake, not a deliberate design choice from someone who didn't give much thought to the requirements of finishing PR Directives!!

Players
19 posts
2,624 battles

I just reached rank 1, in 65 battles. It was a lot of fun.

3 ore fa, Sons_0f_Odin ha scritto:

The only thing I did not like is that once I got to rank one I could not play it no more!

I agree. I wish I could play more battles of this 1v1 ranked sprint. But well, atleast I bring home the 10 000 coal.

1v1 is a challenging mode, but also a fun one. If you win, it's all thanks to you. If you loose, it's not your teammates fault, but yours. It's a good way to test your skills and tactics, and to learn from your mistakes.

Hopefully we'll see more of this in the future.

Players
7,184 posts
8,087 battles
On 12/25/2019 at 6:36 PM, MrWastee said:

.. ever heard of a slingshot? played out right u got no AA... on any ship....

Not like you need slingshot to deal with T8 ships in 1v1. The base AA on most isn't going to do much and you have all your reserves to just kill a single ship. The greatest threat is fighter planes, but rest assured, Edinburgh is the sole radar cruiser at T8 that can slot a fighter, afaik and it usually runs smoke or radar. Not that 3-4 planes are going to really do a lot though.

Players
131 posts
4,869 battles

this game mode could be great. The problem is MM, tooooo much tirpitz. In some other BB you dont have a chance. Went from 52% win rate. To 36% cause i got almost all time Tirpitz, that have the upperhand from start.  Im quite new to the game.  Nut 15 tirpitz in a row...

Players
2,106 posts
8,710 battles

Well, I'm one of those not having a lot of fun. In fact, I've quit and will not finish this Ranked Sprint at all, not even close.

I simply don't own any German ships which I encounter in 99% of the battles - Bismark and Tirpitz, even GZ.

I play mostly CLs and that's what i have. No matter what I choose, I don't stand the slightest chance. One shot to the bow and I'm half HP down. If I angle a bit, my torps don't get incapacitated, they get destroyed.

The only few battles I won was against other cruisers.

So instead of getting pissed off, I'll just cross this Ranked Sprint and forget it ever existed. Hopefully WG will use their brain next time and actually take some MM into consideration instead of having 2-3 ships being played almost every battle.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
13 posts
4,053 battles

Well, i have to agree that a CV in this ranked sprint is a totaly unfair fight.

First i thought that BB vs DD also would be unfair. But i've manege to win the most of them with a BB. 

CA vs BB is gonna be a though battle for the CA but think its possible if played right.

But against a CV...... I won once with a DD, with some luck. The CV player did not realy paid attention when his planes where detected.

So he did keep roaming around the map searching for me, sometimes very close calls in spotting me, until it was to late for him.

Second time an other CV player knews how to expoild the detected system. Very easy to find a ship through that in 1v1.

In a BB vs a CV fight you totaly lose as BB. Befor your ship is even up to speed his plains are already with you.

Even with a DD at start, before u get 1 square further the CV is almost on top of you. How can you win this? Only luck.    

He knows pretty fast where you are and only have to run away or keep hidding behind a island. You are pretty mutch defenceless.

Before you even get close to the cap zone you're BB HP is probably already down to 50% or less.

1 v 1 is a cool concept and like to see it more, but not when CV's are in it.

Or they need to be nerved/handicap some how in ranked.

But best is none. 

Beta Tester
13 posts
4,053 battles
4 hours ago, Furius_Marius said:

this game mode could be great. The problem is MM, tooooo much tirpitz. In some other BB you dont have a chance. Went from 52% win rate. To 36% cause i got almost all time Tirpitz, that have the upperhand from start.  Im quite new to the game.  Nut 15 tirpitz in a row...

I understand you're frustration sir. But i disagree that the Tirpitz has the upperhand from start. Its how you play against it.

I also play most battles with the Tirpitz (B). The main reason is because Tirpitz has torps. 

Dose torps did help me win alot of fights because players just come to close. (Want to ram you)

You never know against what ship you gonna fight next so the Tirpitz is a good choice because you have a chance to win agains every ship (CV's excluded).

I gues no matter what tier ranked is the majority of players will take the best ship(s) of that tier.

• Cool 1

[FR007]
Players
3 posts
8,032 battles

Probably the worst experience ever for me in this game, after year. I even come to this forum to complain as I can not see a more boring thing:

- if you have a good CV, you win

- if you don't then you have a tirpitez so you win

- any other ship is a failure

so 99% of all battles are against a Tirpitz that wins all the time: better than BB thanks to long distance secundary, no citadel and torps. Better than a cruiser because the same and better than the DD thanks to the hydro.

This even if for me a complete failure and a boring one.

Players
7,184 posts
8,087 battles
1 hour ago, cracouwow said:

so 99% of all battles are against a Tirpitz that wins all the time: better than BB thanks to long distance secundary, no citadel and torps. Better than a cruiser because the same and better than the DD thanks to the hydro.

Tirpitz gets no hydro. It's the price it pays for getting torps, compared to Bismarck that gets hydro, but no torps.

• Cool 2

[RL7S]
Players
247 posts
3,271 battles

Played 7 games in the "good" ships (Bismarck/Tirpitz/Prinz Eugen) and won 6 out 7, the only loss was torp duelling a DD so that's my fault. Played 2 games in "bad" ships and lost both, really can't compete with Roma etc v Bismarck even if you outplay them.

I'm bored already, it's just Bismarck and Tirpitz vs each other or PE stomping other cruisers, very few players seem to have any idea how to 1v1, had 1 good duel vs a Tirpitz but the rest...

Tirpitz/Bismarck with a decent 1v1 build instead of survivability could cruise to rank 1 and barely lose a game but the rewards are miserable and it would be the same fight over and over 4 times so I'll probably pass.

[-RNR-]
Players
2 posts
808 battles

I reached rank 1 today after playing about 6 hours altogether.  I had to fight against 3 CVs.  I won two, although 1 player clearly had no idea how to land torps.

[-NYX-]
Players
178 posts
6,374 battles

Hello all!
well this was not about skills at all.
It was like playing CoOp.... 
Brainless or smart,... everybody lost.
CV, DD, Cruisers or BB... no matter what.
only lost a few (about 7 tops) because you sometimes make a mistake in a dull moment.

Most fun was at level 10 ,... when it was about finding out what ship to use.
Radio finder looked like an edge over the opponent,... but this is only the case where we actually have to battle.... not in this mode though.

I'm very happy it's done. level 1 in about 47 battles, was a row of brainless coop-look-a-like.
I'm sure I was not the reason why I won.... it's simply the ship in the right upgrades... and the right skilled commander you take on it.

Pure secondary build Tirpitz. (commander skills, flags, upgrades)
no counter possible.

only need some tricks (skills) how to use this ship against all other types.

Sorry for ruining the fun for some.
I actually was glad to loose some games.

Players
802 posts
11,300 battles

I notice some behind the scenes changes:

1. The number of stars has been reduced to 36. Ranks 5-2 now only require 4 stars instead of 5. This makes it quicker to Rank out, and means I get less time to grind up my silver ships with first win bonuses. Thanks WG

2. More symmetrical matchmaking, I'm seeing way too many Tirpitz and Massachusetts when I'm playing BBs for this to be random.

What was the point of this again?

WG stop messing with things and making them worse. And why do you allow the opponent to report out of spite?

[SAVVY]
Players
220 posts
3,468 battles

I ranked out in 63 battles, which is quite a lot.

Was trying a few different types of ships to see what worked and what didn't. Tried using my GZ B (even though I don't play CVs) and got destroyed in the 3 games I had with it against much better CV opponents.

Everyone was using Tirpitz which meant any game in either 3 of Charles Martel, Chapayev or Edinburgh was an automatic loss basically.

The two ships I did well in were the Bismarck (think I had a 6-5 W/L against Tirpitz, best tactic was just to kite away as soon as you spotted them as you can't brawl something with torps) and the Z-23, a DD that I tried right at the end when I was bored of the Bismarck and it actually performed super well. Only lost two battles in it - 1 to a Massa as I messed my torps up and the other to a Loyang who out-hydro'ed me.

Didn't have a great deal of fun though. Far too many Tirpitzes. Highlight was beating a Baltimore in the Z-23.

[W-A]
Beta Tester
8 posts
7,146 battles

I was sceptical at first, I must admit. But this is the most fun I had in WoWS in a long time. Finally, nobody to blame except myself for the possible loss. The games were fast and the sprint flashing indeed. I was really sorry that it ended as I would like to do the sprint in different types of ships, even w/o the prizes. +1 WG, finally since a looong time.

• Cool 1

[I-J-N]
Players
3,208 posts

For those of you who don't like it, it's optional, not a duty.

I welcome all variety, especially one that gives me shiploads of credits. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Players
36 posts
10,866 battles
5 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

I ranked out in 63 battles, which is quite a lot.

Was trying a few different types of ships to see what worked and what didn't. Tried using my GZ B (even though I don't play CVs) and got destroyed in the 3 games I had with it against much better CV opponents.

Everyone was using Tirpitz which meant any game in either 3 of Charles Martel, Chapayev or Edinburgh was an automatic loss basically.

The two ships I did well in were the Bismarck (think I had a 6-5 W/L against Tirpitz, best tactic was just to kite away as soon as you spotted them as you can't brawl something with torps) and the Z-23, a DD that I tried right at the end when I was bored of the Bismarck and it actually performed super well. Only lost two battles in it - 1 to a Massa as I messed my torps up and the other to a Loyang who out-hydro'ed me.

Didn't have a great deal of fun though. Far too many Tirpitzes. Highlight was beating a Baltimore in the Z-23.

When playing Bismarck vs Bismarck or Tirpitz, what did you find more effective - HE or AP?

[SAVVY]
Players
220 posts
3,468 battles
3 hours ago, prokopi123 said:

When playing Bismarck vs Bismarck or Tirpitz, what did you find more effective - HE or AP?

Was quite situational and it depended on the opponent - but I found HE was much better at the beginning of the game, especially if the other player was dumb enough to damage con a secondary fire at mid-range.

Close range AP was better - superstructure damage and Tirpitzes like to show broadside to torpedo you so it worked better than HE.

Players
7 posts
6,270 battles

Tier 1 after a total of 48 matches. Used mostly Tirpitz from tier 6 and up. 

First and second salvo with HE, to light them up, and then AP and torps.

[LUSOS]
Players
255 posts
16,153 battles
On 12/28/2019 at 4:05 PM, L8viathan said:

Okay, then don’t play this mode of ranked if you think it is not fun. Why all the drama and whining?

The mode is fun. Playing against a cv isnt fun if he knows what he is doing.

I mean, agaisnt a competent cv player the balance is nonexistent. It can only be countered with an Amalfi.

And so, there's no fun in a game you cant win.