You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Inappropriate_noob

DD's, I still don't get them..

32 comments in this topic

Players
3,352 posts

I probably never will, if there is a CV or two in the game or radar may as well alt F4, as with LT's in WoT's they are like quantum physics, are a bridge too far, go anywhere near a cap, spotted blap, game over, don't go anywhere near a cap, screamed at by the entire team, watched all the vids knowledge gained big fat Zero.

Impossible ships to play even in the lowest of tiers, should I sell them all?

• Boring 2
  • Bad 2

[RODS]
Players
1,332 posts
7,283 battles

Load of fun when you get the hand of it 

I find tier 7 easiest to get a decent winrate

CV:s rockets, spotting and focus fire are a bit too much, yes

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
27,258 posts
14,525 battles
4 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

I probably never will, if there is a CV or two in the game or radar may as well alt F4, as with LT's in WoT's they are like quantum physics, are a bridge too far, go anywhere near a cap, spotted blap, game over, don't go anywhere near a cap, screamed at by the entire team, watched all the vids knowledge gained big fat Zero.

If you cannot get a class to work, stick to a class you can make work.

• Cool 2

[LUZ1]
Players
739 posts
11,962 battles

They are challenging to play, but that's also the fun. A lot depends on the skill of the first enemy DD you meet and the support of your own and the enemies team.

Prepare 10 different scenarios for first contact, and decide in half a second your response: flight or fight. :Smile_playing:

Players
6,606 posts
10,790 battles
8 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

Serious question: Is this just a rant or are you honestly looking for help? Because if the first then im not gonna waste my time :)

• Funny 1

Players
3,352 posts
3 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

CV complaint thread in disguise:cap_popcorn:

I'll just leave this from the current CV infested  patch for thought

image.thumb.png.2427025830c0ebee68232494d4274204.png

Not quite, I like my CV's DD bug the hell out of me though, onoth my accounts, oh and yeah nice stats, really helpful:cap_like:

Players
3,428 posts
14,187 battles

DD’s are more than playable. If you’re struggling. Stick to the other classes you enjoy. There is no expectation for you to perform of the bat if you’re not comfortable in them.

FB55022C-1341-4FC9-AB6B-C60C5080A8EE.thumb.jpeg.cff1a92e80ef472cd82df831945f1e0d.jpeg

• Cool 4

Players
2,966 posts
16,897 battles
4 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

Not quite, I like my CV's DD bug the hell out of me though, onoth my accounts, oh and yeah nice stats, really helpful:cap_like:

Ok,

5 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Serious question: Is this just a rant or are you honestly looking for help? Because if the first then im not gonna waste my time :)

Players
547 posts
1,723 battles

DDs are stealth snipers; you have to know your detection ranges and know where any aircraft are at all times.

Plus you need to have an escape plan for when you are spotted.

And a plan for when you are spotted/radared.

And you have to be unpredictable and where the CV is not expecting you to be.

Plus the confidence to play the most fragile class there is with the expectation that nobody can hit you even if they see you.

Complicated fun and hysterical when you torp a high tier BB from close range:cap_cool:

Basically you have to be too much trouble to sink.

Players
346 posts
8,599 battles

DDs have become much harder to play over the years.

CVs everywhere, more and more radar, Smolensk and now the Italian cruisers. It`s like WG is trying to take a dump on DD mains.

Today, I had a ranked game in the Daring, where I was perma radared for over 4 Minutes. It was fun fun fun.

That said, good DD players are thriving more than ever, because they know how to deal with that crap, while the normal potatos fail in ways unimaginable in BBs or even cruisers.

Players
578 posts
3,150 battles

61%WR over 1000 battles. DDs are the hardest ships to play period. However that makes them all the more rewarding when you get it right. Stick with them but learn what you're doing.

DDs.jpg

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
4,506 posts
15,942 battles
16 minutes ago, GraySlayer said:

61%WR over 1000 battles. DDs are the hardest ships to play period. However that makes them all the more rewarding when you get it right. Stick with them but learn what you're doing.

DDs.jpg

wouldn't your stats be better in the other classes then?

Players
6,606 posts
10,790 battles
28 minutes ago, Zerstoeroer said:

DDs have become much harder to play over the years.

CVs everywhere, more and more radar, Smolensk and now the Italian cruisers. It`s like WG is trying to take a dump on DD mains.

Thats what you get for torturing and scaring away WGs prime customers: the BB folk!

• Funny 1

Players
578 posts
3,150 battles
8 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

No because I don't really like the other classes as much and play them too much like DDs when I do play them, too aggressive, always pushing up in a meta where no one pushes up and hence I get punished.

Don't get me wrong I have some gems in there with plus 60% ships

Alabama

Massa

Alaska

Ishizuchi

Lenin

and I could get BB and cruisers overall to 60% if I wanted but I don't want to that badly as I enjoy DD to much so most of my time is spent in those.

Now in saying this i've just got Smol so lets see. 

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,631 posts
24,297 battles
2 hours ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

if u have radars/cv's in just try to adapt:

- try not get spotted in the first place (f.e. not be 1st line in the 1st 3 mins with cv's in, go borderwards and flank the caps/move outside radarrange and instantly run if spotted/always move towards planes so shorten their attackwindow if attacked)

- set priorities! if a ship denies u the cap torp the heck out of him/get others to support u

- herding: some well placed torp carpets from the side can make half teams run in panic. really careful on this in regard to cv's and opponent dd's

- gunboats: keep ur distance anyway, ur more like a kiting cruiser

gl

[UNICS]
Players
4,506 posts
15,942 battles
8 minutes ago, GraySlayer said:

No because I don't really like the other classes as much and play them too much like DDs when I do play them, too aggressive, always pushing up in a meta where no one pushes up and hence I get punished.

Don't get me wrong I have some gems in there with plus 60% ships

Alabama

Massa

Alaska

Ishizuchi

Lenin

and I could get BB and cruisers overall to 60% if I wanted but I don't want to that badly as I enjoy DD to much so most of my time is spent in those.

Now in saying this i've just got Smol so lets see. 

I'd say there are differences to every class and I wouldn't be comfortable saying any class is easier than the other to push past 60% WR. It's easier to stay alive in a bb, but is it easier to carry in it? I doubt it. Some classes just suit some people better.

• Cool 1

Players
578 posts
3,150 battles
1 minute ago, loppantorkel said:

I'd say there are differences to every class and I wouldn't be comfortable saying any class is easier than the other to push past 60% WR. It's easier to stay alive in a bb, but is it easier to carry in it? I doubt it. Some classes just suit some people better.

Exactly that's more what I meant. I'm a DD player at heart and try hard to be good in them. Im not as good in Bb or Cruisers.

Ive watched tons of videos and worked my way up the tiers and not moved on until that tier is at 60% plus. T7 is an anomaly which I hate :)  Im now working on T9 but Yugumo is going well here so I expect that to go purple soon and then ill try T10 in earnest.

[BOATY]
[BOATY]
Beta Tester, Players
290 posts
9,931 battles

Still a valid class the trick is to check the team setup at the beginning of the match. 

Is the enemy team heavy with radar I would recommend to hang a bit back until you have an idea where those are heading to. This does not mean to ignore the cap completely but rather to play it smart and safe.
Know the standard spots that the radar cruiser usually go for only advance to a certain point that allows you to retreat to safety if need be and ideally have an escape route prepared that gets you behind an island.

Against CVs „P“ is your friend. AA should be turned off by default as you don’t want to be giving your position away with your relatively weak AA fire. 
Now you can’t avoid being spotted always and some CVs will still actively hunt you down so that’s where managing your AA is getting a bit tricky. 
Always turn it on when the CV is starting his attack run on you (usually indicated by him flying roughly at your position). But only when he has spotted you. That way his window for aiming his attack is relatively short. Simultaneously you should be moving towards the planes if the situation you find yourself in allows for it. Shortening the time the CV has to aim on you even further. 
Turn your AA off as soon as the CV has dropped it’s payload. He will have to circle and while doing so most likely loose sight on you. Now the game starts again. Ideally turn into the planes direction, enable AA only when you are spotted and turn it off immediately after the attack run...

Obviously there are ships and situations where a different behaviour might be better.

One example would be when your DD has relatively good AA capabilities and the CV is two  tiers below you. Also you can always use your smoke. I however try to save it if possible as in the worst case scenario you just go completely blind and can’t see the planes if no other allied ship is around to spot.

By all means never sit it out in the smoke, that draws enemy DD torpedos.

Also while playing CV I sometimes tend to switch to TB immediately and drop a round of torpedos into the smoke while passing over. You‘d be surprised how often I get at least one torpedo hit on a DD that hasn’t moved for the whole minute it took me to get back to his position.

/edit My general suggestion ist to play a CV line up to tier eight yourself. This helps you to understand the issues they are facing, e.g. having to start an attack run based on the last known position and course of a DD and then overshooting the target as the DD played it smart - most don’t.

Same goes for radar cruisers. This helps you to understand how they position themselves and how radar works.

Generally speaking walk some miles in their shoes to understand them better. This will also help you to understand how to counter or avoid them. 
Also WoWs still is a team game, it helps to have an eye on the minimap and know what backup you have behind you. In some situations it might be smart to go all AA guns blazing and run for that friendly Smolensk or Mino (or a blob of friendly ships) baiting the CV into loosing his whole squadron, reducing the plane count and having more freedom in the late game while sacrificing some HP. 

• Cool 3

Players
3,352 posts
On 12/18/2019 at 5:27 PM, GraySlayer said:

DDs.jpg

Now this is the weird thing,I can remember some good games in my T 10 DD's where I actually survived and did damage, yet put me in a low tier DD, nothing, they really are a weird class.

Players
1,809 posts
15,366 battles
On 12/18/2019 at 6:44 PM, loppantorkel said:

Damage, maybe, not win rate. Every well played DD is a carry machine, more so than anything else (with the possible exception of a unicum CV).

[ONE2]
Players
3,087 posts
22,029 battles
On 12/18/2019 at 3:51 PM, Inappropriate_noob said:

Weel, I have played 6.649 games in a DD (latest ones today and all of those with BOTH CV's and Radars) and have not done too shabbily. I always go straight for the caps first, if at all possible - Of course you can maneuver a bit along the way, if necessary. Radars last only 24-40 seconds max and have a limited range. Also, getting ray-dared does not kill you by itself, as it needs someone who can shoot at your also or if you are already kiting away and out of its range. Likewise, there are tactics you can use to successfully evade getting hit by airplanes. I'd say you just have to expect things to happen in advance and apply them - If you do not happen to know what they are, just give us a holler and I'm sure the lads here in the forum will gladly fill you in on what you can do to improve your DD play.:cap_tea:

Players
5,979 posts
11,604 battles
On 12/18/2019 at 4:54 PM, MementoMori_6030 said:

Golden where those times when there were no rocket-launching planes constantly pouncing on you with impunity.

DD mains were complaining and cryharding on the forums ever since I started playing WoWS. This was before the rework. Your statement is incorrect.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[NECRO]
Players
1,584 posts
Vor 8 Minuten, NothingButTheRain sagte:

DD mains were complaining and cryharding on the forums ever since I started playing WoWS. This was before the rework. Your statement is incorrect.

We may have different experiences, but with due respect - I did not claim to speak for the entire DD population, but expressed my personal point of view. So, by default, there is no "correct" or "incorrect", and I doubt you are in the position to judge how I experience things. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1