Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Horin728

Hit tracker mod

10 comments in this topic

Players
545 posts
6,310 battles

Hey I was wondering, since we actually see the maximum dispersion elipse on CVs, is there a mod that would track where the actual bombs hit? It could uncover if the distribution of hits is the same everywhere or if there is a bias, and thus it's better to aim with the front or the back of the elipse when not going for the perfect drop.

I am not sure if I am explaining this correctly, so paint skills engage:

image.png.bf3defbd4b09a27685fdbc3011d88149.png

Basically something that would produce these hit markers... All I'd have to do then is add a grid and then calculate the probability the bomb hits the said grid square in the pattern... I think it would be especially helpfull on the GZ, because its bombers are somethimes so square eyed it hurts...

Does this kind of tool exist/ is it even possible?

Thanks

Players
114 posts
170 battles

If the hits are to be shown after releasing the bombs this mod wouldn't cause problems. If however the bomb hits are shown during the aim then that would be problematic.

There are currently no mods that exist which display either of those.

Players
545 posts
6,310 battles
2 hours ago, Imuya_Umi said:

If the hits are to be shown after releasing the bombs this mod wouldn't cause problems. If however the bomb hits are shown during the aim then that would be problematic.

There are currently no mods that exist which display either of those.

Of course after release... All I want to do is gather data and extrapolate from those..

• Cool 1

[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
5,657 posts
12,858 battles
3 hours ago, Horin728 said:

Hey I was wondering, since we actually see the maximum dispersion elipse on CVs, is there a mod that would track where the actual bombs hit? It could uncover if the distribution of hits is the same everywhere or if there is a bias, and thus it's better to aim with the front or the back of the elipse when not going for the perfect drop.

I am not sure if I am explaining this correctly, so paint skills engage:

image.png.bf3defbd4b09a27685fdbc3011d88149.png

Basically something that would produce these hit markers... All I'd have to do then is add a grid and then calculate the probability the bomb hits the said grid square in the pattern... I think it would be especially helpfull on the GZ, because its bombers are somethimes so square eyed it hurts...

Does this kind of tool exist/ is it even possible?

Thanks

There is shell tracker mode so it can be possible to create also bomb tracker mode.

But unfortunately I do not know about this mode

Players
114 posts
170 battles
2 minutes ago, Horin728 said:

Of course after release... All I want to do is gather data and extrapolate from those..

I believe that if the bombs hit or not is determined before the drop.

I'm personally still collecting evidence for that claim.

[-TAP-]
Players
312 posts
8,214 battles
18 minutes ago, Imuya_Umi said:

I'm intrigued as to how you'd come up with that belief, and also how you'd go about collecting evidence for it.  All I can think of is watching the bomb drops to see whether any change direction mod flight to either hit or miss a ship?

Players
114 posts
170 battles
15 minutes ago, Pandafaust said:

I'm intrigued as to how you'd come up with that belief, and also how you'd go about collecting evidence for it.  All I can think of is watching the bomb drops to see whether any change direction mod flight to either hit or miss a ship?

The "misses" can't possibly be random at all times. To often the bombs land to conveniently around the ship

• Cool 1

Players
545 posts
6,310 battles

I believe that has to do more with the sigma value of the bombs... The sigma basically determines the probability within the targeting reticule...

[GOON]
Beta Tester
111 posts
4,010 battles
On 12/18/2019 at 1:33 PM, Imuya_Umi said:

I very seriously doubt that. It wouldn't make much sense to preload the RNG calculations to that extent, and it wouldn't give much benefit (the shells are still obviously hitting through collision detection, for instance, so you have to track them from the plane to water to see what they actually hit because everything is moving). What some games have done in the past (for instance the awful Blood Bowl video game conversions) is basically calculate a huge number of random numbers in advance, and then just step over that list one item at a time when a number is called for, but again, it wouldn't make much sense in a real time game like this.

Of course "it doesn't make sense" doesn't mean they didn't do it like that, but I very much doubt it :) 

Players
545 posts
6,310 battles
21 minutes ago, soralapio said:

I very seriously doubt that. It wouldn't make much sense to preload the RNG calculations to that extent, and it wouldn't give much benefit (the shells are still obviously hitting through collision detection, for instance, so you have to track them from the plane to water to see what they actually hit because everything is moving). What some games have done in the past (for instance the awful Blood Bowl video game conversions) is basically calculate a huge number of random numbers in advance, and then just step over that list one item at a time when a number is called for, but again, it wouldn't make much sense in a real time game like this.

Of course "it doesn't make sense" doesn't mean they didn't do it like that, but I very much doubt it :) 

That actually sounds probable enough and with a good hit tracker and enought attempts it should become obvious whether the patterns repeat or not... I doubt that is the case for normal shells, since WG moves sigma around quite a lot and there would have to be a separate table for every value, but if all the bombs are calculated from the same table it would be possible.

Sign in to follow this