You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Nexio_

I want a new cruiser line to try, any advice?

48 comments in this topic

[ATEEZ]
Players
34 posts
953 battles

I have 3 lines in mind - Brits(I well know that they aren't the easiest to play), US CA and French.

I like the fact that US CA has lots of utility, but are they really just boring island campers? I'm interested in them because of their AP shells - hitting citadels is my second favorite thing to do behind setting stuff on fire.

As for Brits, I like that they have smoke and fast reloading AP cannons. I don't mind the difficulty, as long as I am having fun. Plus, Fiji seems to be the best T7 cruiser!

And the French, I'm interested because I heard they play similar to Japanese, but I have a preference for heavy cruisers, and grinding IFHE would be a huge pain. 

Of course, I'm open to any cruiser line

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,904 posts
12,141 battles

The american Battlecruiser line is amazing! 

[ATEEZ]
Players
34 posts
953 battles
4 minutes ago, kfa said:

The american Battlecruiser line is amazing! 

Do you mean the Heavy Cruiser line? is it true that they are boring island campers? never really tried them, but the fact of having great AP rounds is very intriguing

4 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

RN. Hands down best line in game.

I'm thinking of going RN, but what exactly is their playstyle?

[W-C]
Players
29 posts
2,314 battles

Though the US heavy cruiser line does have some island camping, good Des Moines players will also push at the right times as well. Great AP angles, and you can take on any other T10 cruiser. The Legendary Module makes it so maneuverable as well. 10/10 would recommend, but does have a high(er) skill requirement.

Beta Tester
2,795 posts
7,088 battles

I'd say, three lines come to mind, US ending with Des Moines, with the LM shes a dream, Moskva is also good because she can take some redicolous amount of a beating, then there is Minotaur witch can be a beast :Smile_Default:

[SHAFT]
Players
10,223 posts
9,060 battles
15 minutes ago, Nexio_ said:

And the French, I'm interested because I heard they play similar to Japanese, but I have a preference for heavy cruisers, and grinding IFHE would be a huge pain. 

I dont understand what you mean here, but i think you are confusing the french CAs with something else :Smile-_tongue:

French play like IJN yes, but they are also Heavy Cruiser. They dont need IFHE either (Henri is the only one which can take it, but its not a must have).

I wouldnt necessarily say, US CAs are heavy island campers, alltho they do like an island next to them, since you want to use their radar (which means you are closer to the enemies) and they have rather short range and slow shells. So because of that, you want to protect yourself from atleast 1 flank. They can be tanky in certain situations (T8+ that is) but that requires knowledge.

RN CLs are Light Cruiser btw - not heavy Cruiser. They evaporate rather fast. Its a lot of smoke shooting (why you prefer that over island hugging is beyond me tho) unless you start to play them with Radar on T8+. Which raises the skill ceiling even further.

[ATEEZ]
Players
34 posts
953 battles
2 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

I dont understand what you mean here, but i think you are confusing the french CAs with something else :Smile-_tongue:

French play like IJN yes, but they are also Heavy Cruiser. They dont need IFHE either (Henri is the only one which can take it, but its not a must have).

I wouldnt necessarily say, US CAs are heavy island campers, alltho they do like an island next to them, since you want to use their radar (which means you are closer to the enemies) and they have rather short range and slow shells. So because of that, you want to protect yourself from atleast 1 flank. They can be tanky in certain situations (T8+ that is) but that requires knowledge.

RN CLs are Light Cruiser btw - not heavy Cruiser. They evaporate rather fast. Its a lot of smoke shooting (why you prefer that over island hugging is beyond me tho) unless you start to play them with Radar on T8+. Which raises the skill ceiling even further.

Hm, maybe I won't go after the RN CL line then. Would the US CA line be the most friendly to the average player out of the 3, then?

[SHAFT]
Players
10,223 posts
9,060 battles
2 minutes ago, Nexio_ said:

Hm, maybe I won't go after the RN CL line then. Would the US CA line be the most friendly to the average player out of the 3, then?

Probably not. Out of those 3, the "easiest" are the French imo.

They even get away with not being citadelled easily when broadside (atleast till T7, after that they also take a little bit more citadels).

• Cool 1

[SINT]
Players
937 posts
21,201 battles
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

They even get away with not being citadelled easily when broadside (atleast till T7, after that they also take a little bit more citadels).

The "lack" of receiving citadels is more then compensated by breakdown of engines and rudders though… The tier V has so few armor that broadsiding is safer towards BB's then head on.. But all ships after are citadel magnets with only a bit of spaced armor..

[SHAFT]
Players
10,223 posts
9,060 battles
1 minute ago, Jvd2000 said:

The "lack" of receiving citadels is more then compensated by breakdown of engines and rudders though… The tier V has so few armor that broadsiding is safer towards BB's then head on.. But all ships after are citadel magnets with only a bit of spaced armor..

Should see me struggling to Citadel Henris when playing Stalingrad :fish_panic:

[ATEEZ]
Players
34 posts
953 battles
12 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

I see. I kind of want to give USN CAs a try anyway, as everyone seems to praise them, especially the Des Moines. Hope I won't get too frustrated with the Omaha and Pensacola :D 

Players
3,426 posts
14,187 battles
56 minutes ago, Nexio_ said:

Do you mean the Heavy Cruiser line? is it true that they are boring island campers? never really tried them, but the fact of having great AP rounds is very intriguing

I'm thinking of going RN, but what exactly is their playstyle?

low tiers are kite or island play, great at ambushes. 6-7 you can be more aggressive. Fiji may just be the best silver ship in the game. 8-9 are use smoke and islands but can be deadly. The Mino at 10 is a riot. For the really gusty it's a great radar cruiser but needs high skill. Smoke option allows you to whittle down an enemy in such a short time then re-deploy to the next target. 

[-TPF-]
Players
4,006 posts
16,511 battles

Is the verdict in on the Italians yet? I'm playing rather a lot of Gorizia at the moment and rather enjoying it...if the high tier Cruisers are as good as they say it might be a line worth investigating.

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles

The French are pretty good all the way up to tier X in a sort of reliable but fun at the same time type of way. The RN are delightful when you get to the Leander and above, proper fun, you'll not want to put the Fiji down and the Minotaur clears the mind of all frustrations with the game.

Players
1,717 posts
2 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Is the verdict in on the Italians yet? I'm playing rather a lot of Gorizia at the moment and rather enjoying it...if the high tier Cruisers are as good as they say it might be a line worth investigating.

I am finding it at mid ranges a killing machine, I am a little shocked I thought it might be a lemon,

Its become one of my favoured ships.

Players
214 posts
12,789 battles

There is nothing easier than RN line. Smoke up and hold mouse button. If you eat torps its on you.

French line is a pain at T9. St Louis catches every citadel in the game. 

US line is about sitting behind island mostly.They do it well and radar helps. T6-T7 is painfull. Citadel-eating-ships. You also have to rely on your team not abandoning you which they mostly do.

I would suggest German line. Its pretty solid with only the early ships being annoying. T8 and T9 are solid.

Hindenburg has built in IFHE and if u get IFHE over that you can penetrate Kreml and Yamatos. 12-guns. That is painful.

Hindenburg is good at brawling and doesn't lack HP like Zao. Its easier to fire than Henry because of shell speed and its AP out-DPM every other line.

There really is no weak T10 CA but they do play differently. Zao, Henry and Hinde play the same but IMO Hinde has more tools in the box. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,717 posts
3 hours ago, Nexio_ said:

I have 3 lines in mind - Brits(I well know that they aren't the easiest to play), US CA and French.

I like the fact that US CA has lots of utility, but are they really just boring island campers? I'm interested in them because of their AP shells - hitting citadels is my second favorite thing to do behind setting stuff on fire.

As for Brits, I like that they have smoke and fast reloading AP cannons. I don't mind the difficulty, as long as I am having fun. Plus, Fiji seems to be the best T7 cruiser!

Of course, I'm open to any cruiser line

Italian ( 3 months ago I would of said French ) The Italians have some hidden qualities, if you know how to fight in them, it means a change of tactics from the rest of the cruisers, but once you get the hang of it, you wont want to use any thing else.

[BBMM]
Players
6,098 posts
8,013 battles
3 hours ago, Nexio_ said:

I see. I kind of want to give USN CAs a try anyway, as everyone seems to praise them, especially the Des Moines. Hope I won't get too frustrated with the Omaha and Pensacola :D 

Omaha is an excellent troll boat. I liked it so much I bought the Murmansk.

Sure though it is a floating citadel, buit they all are. Hug the island and spam HE!

Hell I even have Charleston... (premium ST Louis).

Note that you can get the Salem for coal, it is "El Cheapo" Des Moines.

Everything is the same except the radar/heal. DM gets better radar, Salem has LOL heal.

It also has insane credit grind ability. This makes the playstyle quite different.  You do not need much damage with Salem.

So, this causes "kamikaze play": when your team needs that cap, you just go get it, even if it means you'll probably die. 

So you just attack that DD with abandon, radar it, kill it and then die going LOLOLOL gotchaaaaaa beeeaachchhh.

Even without premium account you still make credit. Not with DM,. You'll need premium account, and a win plus reasonable score to break even.

Mind for CB the Des Moines is better, and preferred, as it has better radar than Salem. 

I personally like the Brit CLs more though. But if you want to play CB... Minotaur is really risky. But nice in randoms.

Permanent stays in my collection are Leander, Fiji and Edinburgh... not Neptune as Mino is better in every way...

Maybe I should get back Emerald... I had such fun with it... should be a good sealclubber... :Smile_trollface:

Now grinding the French but I don't really get it though. 

IJN is good but didn't like the (rental) Zao much....

Same with Russian. Will get Smolensk though, too troll to miss.

Definately gonna grind the Germans. Hindenburg is very versatile.  

I like cruisers for their maneuverability, maybe that is why I do not like RU and IJN.

• Cool 1

Players
2,106 posts
9,536 battles

IJN is the only one I grinded so far.

I'm currently with the RN one, recently got Neptune and slowly aiming for Minotaur.

Since I have not much experience with other lines I can't tell you much but I really liked the RN line.

I played A LOT of matches with Fiji and it was mostly fun. It's definitely a specific play style compared to any other cruiser line but it's great if you ask me...

Quite fast, maneuverable, fast reload, smoke, torps... Sounds OP but if you make a mistake a BB with half salvo can send you straight to port :)

Besides RN, I've been also playing a bit of Italians even tho I find them quite challenging. With them I've been playing co-ops mostly and they seemed fine, especially from T7 (I'm at T8 now) but I've brought Amalfi few times in Random and so far it's been 0% WR.. :Smile-angry: IDK, I was definitely with potatoes but still... I didn't feel very comfortable with her in those Random battles. Not yet.

[-TCP-]
Players
219 posts

Learn German CC line, its the hardest challenge, especially T7-9. Then do US CL and have fun. However the DM is the most disappointing T10 cruiser I've played, Balt and Buff are better IMO.

Really want fun and learning curve? IJN cruiser line. 

Not done French and nobody should do Russ CC, they are awful, don't go near them. (I have T9 & T10 but don't tell anyone) :-)

• Funny 1

Players
3,026 posts
19,465 battles

I had tons of fun resetting the IJN cruiser line. They are very versatile, only at tier 9 and 10 they can be forced into range camping due to the insanely boring tier X meta. The Hindenburg was the biggest surprise for me. It made the whole KM grind worth it. The Frenchies are a bit bland, firestarter a mostly. The US AP is lots of fun, but can be RNG ish like battleships. The Italians are kinda nice, but mainly because of their alternate playstyle from the rest, and their torps are fun. The UK light cruisers are very very strong and play similar to giant gunboat DDs. Lots of fun but you need to have played DDs first.