nlegolass

Old NavyField player needs advice

61 comments in this topic

[_TWT_]
Players
28 posts
1,547 battles

Hi everyone,

So I've started playing wows 8 weeks ago or something like that. I was a bit sceptical on the "depth" of the game at the beginning (having played quite a lot of NavyField back in the days), but I was actually surprised (in a good way), sure the personalisation of you ship is a bit "rudimental" compared to what I'm used to, but I really like some other stuff ( like damage management with angling etc...) .

Anyway I'm looking for advices from experimented players on how to actually play well. I think I've been doing okayish but I might have trouble actually helping my team to win. I've been playing CL/CA mainly, but also BB, CV, and DD in that order.

I'm an absolutely terrible DD player, bit I'm getting better. I'm kind of confused on what to do/where to go as a DD. Most of the times my torpedoes completely miss my target and if I get spotted by an enemy DD who wants me dead there's almost 90% chance that I'm gonna be dead in the next minute. I'm a bit better in battles with few destroyers. I also try to cap, but most of the time that just leads me to a quick death.

i'm not a lot better as a BB... I'm legit happy when my damage  exceed 35k. Which is ridiculous. I get A LOT of ricochet but i just refuse to use HE as a BB. Should I ?

I tend to be better with cruisers, although i regularly receive extremely high damage from good BB players, then I have to be really careful on when to engage or when not to.

I think I'm pretty good as a CV. That might because that's what I mainly used to play in Navyfield. Sorry about that, I hear you guys hate CVs. Although I don't really see why because most of the time they're not really a problem to me. Maybe the problems starts at higher tiers, I don't know...

Also is there any website where you can see more detailed stats about your profile than the "official" website ?

Thanks to anyone who wants to help a struggling new player. Maybe I should join a clan ? I don't know...

• Cool 3

Players
272 posts
16,812 battles

The community contibutor iChase started YouTube video series for the players that want to improve their gameplay, you should definitely check that.

• Cool 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,142 posts
8,959 battles

Welcome to the forums. In general I think you are on the right track from the get go, you branch out and try different classes. That is key if you want to progress on a personal level and "git gud". Considering your low battle count I would not be too worried about being terrible or something along those lines, you are not doing to bad. Your current winrate is just below average but again that is mainly because you are new and a low sample size of games. 

The wiki is quite good (somewhat poorly updated when it comes to ships) but the rest of the stuff is up to date and contains plenty of info and tutorial videos, defeinetly worth checking out: https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

HE or AP on BB's, well aint that a hot topic. In general, unless your BB is a Royal Navy BB or possibly French, HE should only be used against DD's or when faced with multiple bow in enemy BB's. The rest of the time AP normally does the job better. Also important in this is to learn how overmatch works. Basically if the armor thickness is less than 1/14.3 of your gun caliber you will punch through it. So if you are nose in to a Kongo for example while sailing your own Kongo you can aim at its nose and punch through it even if he tries to angle.

And for the last point, stat sites. I personally use this and find it quite good: https://wows-numbers.com/player/565166214,nlegolass/ but other sites also work such as this one: https://wowstats.org/

Hope it helped a bit on your way and feel free to come back and ask further questions :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[_TWT_]
Players
28 posts
1,547 battles
Il y a 22 minutes, Yamashiro42 a dit :

The community contibutor iChase started YouTube video series for the players that want to improve their gameplay, you should definitely check that.

Thanks. I remember watching some of his videos at the very beginning but it was a bit too complicated at the time. I will give it a try again.

Il y a 11 minutes, ollonborre a dit :

Welcome to the forums. In general I think you are on the right track from the get go, you branch out and try different classes. That is key if you want to progress on a personal level and "git gud". Considering your low battle count I would not be too worried about being terrible or something along those lines, you are not doing to bad. Your current winrate is just below average but again that is mainly because you are new and a low sample size of games.

Thank you. Ok so I should keep on playing the class that I'm bad with, if I understand correctly, and not give up. The thing is, I actually feel bad playing those ships because I know I'll be a burden for my team most of the time. But then again most players at my tier don't really seem to care about team play.

Il y a 17 minutes, ollonborre a dit :

The wiki is quite good (somewhat poorly updated when it comes to ships) but the rest of the stuff is up to date and contains plenty of info and tutorial videos, defeinetly worth checking out: https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

Ok great, only used it to go look at ships at the moment lol

Il y a 18 minutes, ollonborre a dit :

HE or AP on BB's, well aint that a hot topic. In general, unless your BB is a Royal Navy BB or possibly French, HE should only be used against DD's or when faced with multiple bow in enemy BB's. The rest of the time AP normally does the job better. Also important in this is to learn how overmatch works. Basically if the armor thickness is less than 1/14.3 of your gun caliber you will punch through it. So if you are nose in to a Kongo for example while sailing your own Kongo you can aim at its nose and punch through it even if he tries to angle.

I've already heard a few things about "overmatching" but this is the simplest and best explanation someone gave me. But it implies knowing a lot about ships you aim at. Which I really, really don't. I guess that comes with experience like in NavyField. Do you think I should give a try to other nations as well (only playing IJN at the moment) ? Or just spend time having a good look at ships from different nations ?

Il y a 21 minutes, ollonborre a dit :

And for the last point, stat sites. I personally use this and find it quite good: https://wows-numbers.com/player/565166214,nlegolass/ but other sites also work such as this one: https://wowstats.org/

I've actually have a better personal rating in destroyer than cruisers lol. I find that hard to believe? Thanks for the links.

Il y a 23 minutes, ollonborre a dit :

Hope it helped a bit on your way and feel free to come back and ask further questions 

Yeap thanks a lot ! :Smile_great:

[SM0KE]
Players
5,846 posts
14,117 battles
1 hour ago, nlegolass said:

Maybe I should join a clan ?

You absolutely should, for a couple of reasons:

• Ready source of people to division with; you tend to do better if at least one other player has your back.
  • Economic bonuses - assuming they have a developed base, being in a clan gets you bonuses to things like coal, silver etc.
  • If you can find one that's happy to teach, you can speed up your learning, as they can provide useful pointers and critique your play.

There are a lot of clans out there; if you're new, you'll probably need to start off with a teaching or casual clan (the most competitive usually want certain levels of stats and ships), but don't worry - you can change clans when you need to (although I think there is a two-day cooldown time between leaving one and joining another)...

[_TWT_]
Players
28 posts
1,547 battles
Il y a 19 minutes, Verblonde a dit :

You absolutely should, for a couple of reasons:

• Ready source of people to division with; you tend to do better if at least one other player has your back.
  • Economic bonuses - assuming they have a developed base, being in a clan gets you bonuses to things like coal, silver etc.
  • If you can find one that's happy to teach, you can speed up your learning, as they can provide useful pointers and critique your play.

There are a lot of clans out there; if you're new, you'll probably need to start off with a teaching or casual clan (the most competitive usually want certain levels of stats and ships), but don't worry - you can change clans when you need to (although I think there is a two-day cooldown time between leaving one and joining another)...

I tried to join a clan two weeks ago or something but I didn't have rank 15 or something back then. So I got rejected from a couple of clans and decided to call it a day.

But how do choose a clan ?  The clan interface in-game seems to just give me random clans. Should i just pick one randomly ?

[SM0KE]
Players
5,846 posts
14,117 battles
7 minutes ago, nlegolass said:

But how do choose a clan ?  The clan interface in-game seems to just give me random clans. Should i just pick one randomly ?

I would suggest that your first port of call should be the recruitment section on here: https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/forum/508-clan-recruitment/

Most people that post will provide an outline of the clan, including any requirements. They'll also tend to give an indication of the sort of person they're after (although it may be simply "don't be a Richard"), plus sometimes language(s) that they mainly communicate in. Generally, in the English section, English will usually be a lingua franca (for example, the clan I'm in includes people from at least three continents) though.

Also, voice comms are very helpful in coordinated play, so some clans will need you to have that (if so, they'll generally say which one is used - mostly Discord or TS, from what I can see), or at least prefer you to have that.

[_TWT_]
Players
28 posts
1,547 battles
Il y a 20 minutes, Verblonde a dit :

I would suggest that your first port of call should be the recruitment section on here: https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/forum/508-clan-recruitment/

Most people that post will provide an outline of the clan, including any requirements. They'll also tend to give an indication of the sort of person they're after (although it may be simply "don't be a Richard"), plus sometimes language(s) that they mainly communicate in. Generally, in the English section, English will usually be a lingua franca (for example, the clan I'm in includes people from at least three continents) though. 

Also, voice comms are very helpful in coordinated play, so some clans will need you to have that (if so, they'll generally say which one is used - mostly Discord or TS, from what I can see), or at least prefer you to have that.

Ok then, I'll go have a look. I don't usually use voice comms but that should not be a problem. My first language is french but I'd rather be in an English speaking clan as I think they tend to attract more people. Thanks for your help

• Cool 1

Players
94 posts

As a original-NF veteran from beginning of beta (shame how much time has passed) I can certainly say that learning curve is very steep when you get into WoWs.

Don't worry about being terrible DD player. You're not alone! I'm simply too old to comprehend what the heck is going on in a cap DD fight. As such abandoned any DD related games and using them only in co-op (yes grinded/ing remaining TX DD legendary modules there). Simply too squishy, but Z-52 is my favourite if I have to pick. Prefer my ships in the thick of fight, no camping, just full throttle secondaries. ;) People are so scared of getting scratch on ship paint job it's depressing.

As for clans. You shouldn't just join a clan. You MUST join a clan. Otherwise economy will bleed you dry the further you'll progress - especially CVs and Tier 9/10 ships without premium camos. Don't waste time on established, uptight clans. There is plenty of fleets which gladly take newbies. Tons of co-op clans, solo, friends, family etc. You don't have to communicate with anybody, they don't participate in clan wars. Just having fun. Basically everybody benefits from common goal of obtaining Oil no matter if you play once a week or 100/day. Of course there are also nonconformists (like me :Smile_trollface:) who run their own little safe heavens for various reasons (not that I wasn't approached couple times before creating my own Port).

• Cool 1

[_TWT_]
Players
28 posts
1,547 battles
Il y a 10 minutes, VorlonInside a dit :

As a original-NF veteran from beginning of beta (shame how much time has passed) I can certainly say that learning curve is very steep when you get into WoWs.

Don't worry about being terrible DD player. You're not alone! I'm simply too old to comprehend what the heck is going on in a cap DD fight. As such abandoned any DD related games and using them only in co-op (yes grinded/ing remaining TX DD legendary modules there). Simply too squishy, but Z-52 is my favourite if I have to pick. Prefer my ships in the thick of fight, no camping, just full throttle secondaries. ;) People are so scared of getting scratch on ship paint job it's depressing.

As for clans. You shouldn't just join a clan. You MUST join a clan. Otherwise economy will bleed you dry the further you'll progress - especially CVs and Tier 9/10 ships without premium camos. Don't waste time on established, uptight clans. There is plenty of fleets which gladly take newbies. Tons of co-op clans, solo, friends, family etc. You don't have to communicate with anybody, they don't participate in clan wars. Just having fun. Basically everybody benefits from common goal of obtaining Oil no matter if you play once a week or 100/day. Of course there are also nonconformists (like me :Smile_trollface:) who run their own little safe heavens for various reasons (not that I wasn't approached couple times before creating my own Port).

I was also there during the beta. Man that was of the buggiest/messiest game I've ever played. I still remember that weird fridge looking Z99 German ship and that UK line which could literally block shot its way out of everything. Crazy times.

Ok so I'm not alone  feeling that with destroyers. It feels like I'm having a panic attack every battle I use them lol.

It looks like we're similar type of players. To be honest i don't want something very competitive. I want to git gud just because it's funnier/ more enjoyable that way. So I'd probably be mroe comfortable in something more "open'".

Players
81 posts
1,023 battles

I'd also like to mention, when you reach the correct account level and if you have a tier 6 ship, you may want to consider playing operations. They give decent rewards including 10 point captains for a few nations, premium time etc.

As for DDs, there are some brilliant lines that serve different purposes.

Russian/USSR DDs have good guns, fast top speed, poor concealment and their torpedoes are short ranged.

American DDs are sort of "hybrids", they have decent guns with fast reload but the shells are quite floaty, making long range gun duels quite difficult against anything relatively fast. They can't stealth torp* until tier 7. Nice team players because of their long lasting smoke screens. They also have nice AA for a destroyer.

*Stealth torp means you can launch torpedoes outside of your detection range. (For example, detection range of 6km with 8km torpedoes)

British DDs are similar to American DDs as the British DDs are also hybrids. Guns are quite floaty just like the American ones. They can single fire torpedoes which if used properly are amazing.

Some of them have really good concealment, for example the Lightning (tier 8 UK DD) can get something like 5.5km concealment if built for it.

From tier 6 (I think) they get hydro so they can spot other ships and torpedoes whilst in their own smoke. I think the higher tier UK DDs get a heal too, it's a consumable that slowly regenerates health points whilst its active.

German DDs are kinda like hybrids too. They have decent reload speeds on the guns and torpedoes but the HE (High explosive) shells don't do much damage, their torpedoes don't do much damage but have nice reload speed. These also get hydro from tier 6+

IJN/Japanese DDs are split into 2 lines. The one that ends with Shimakaze is the torpedo focused line and the alternative line is focused around guns from tier 8+.

IJN torpedoes have very high damage and are decently fast but they are detected quicker by enemies. (Shimakaze has a 20km torpedo option but they are spotted from 2.5km away, allowing for a lot of time for the enemy to react and dodge.

French DDs are similar to Russian ones. Very gun focused, extremely fast (some of them reach over 50 knots) The French DDs don't have a smoke screen.

Hope this helps!

[SM0KE]
Players
5,846 posts
14,117 battles
14 hours ago, nlegolass said:

I'm kind of confused on what to do/where to go as a DD. Most of the times my torpedoes completely miss my target and if I get spotted by an enemy DD who wants me dead there's almost 90% chance that I'm gonna be dead in the next minute.

Firstly, don't beat yourself up too much about this; you're showing 304 battles at time of writing - this really isn't that many, and DDs take quite a lot of learning (I still am, and look at my battle count).

DDs are also very diverse, in terms of play style, so rather than a single 'do a, do b, then do c' it's more a case of learning a number of general principles and applying them, based on which DD you're playing and its strengths/weaknesses.

The key aspects of most DDs that it helps to be mindful of are guns, torps, and stealth (with a case to be made for speed as well), as well as whatever gimmicks they have, and how they mesh together.

Guns are usually easier to get hits with (although there is much variability in terms of ballistics/range etc.), but they telegraph your position out to your maximum gun range; torps do a lot more damage, but take longer to get to the target at a given range and are harder to get hits with; your stealth informs how close you can get to the enemy undetected, if you don't fire your guns, and so on. How these factors all mesh together in turn informs which 'DD jobs' you're best suited for, and other priorities.

The trick with DDs is working out which ones are best for which jobs and playstyles, and which suit your personal preferences.

The specifics of all this are where clans, divisions, YouTube and all that good stuff come into their own.

• Cool 1

[_TWT_]
Players
28 posts
1,547 battles
Il y a 16 heures, BattleshipGunner a dit :

I'd also like to mention, when you reach the correct account level and if you have a tier 6 ship, you may want to consider playing operations. They give decent rewards including 10 point captains for a few nations, premium time etc.

I have not tried operations yet. But I will. I don't even have a 10 points captain yet.

Would you recommend getting premium account at tier 6 ? I had a coupon for an almost free month of premium account which ended yesterday. But I don't know if I'm gonna buy another one yet. I feel like the grind for tier VII is a bit fast with a prem account. That might just be me, I dunno.

Il y a 16 heures, BattleshipGunner a dit :

JN/Japanese DDs are split into 2 lines. The one that ends with Shimakaze is the torpedo focused line and the alternative line is focused around guns from tier 8+.

IJN torpedoes have very high damage and are decently fast but they are detected quicker by enemies. (Shimakaze has a 20km torpedo option but they are spotted from 2.5km away, allowing for a lot of time for the enemy to react and dodge.

This is what I play as a DD. Stealth torp DD. I bought the Mutsuki (so torp line,).But it's hard. Most of the time I aim around the "white auto marker", and most of the time I just miss completely.

Il y a 11 heures, Verblonde a dit :

Guns are usually easier to get hits with (although there is much variability in terms of ballistics/range etc.), but they telegraph your position out to your maximum gun range; torps do a lot more damage, but take longer to get to the target at a given range and are harder to get hits with; your stealth informs how close you can get to the enemy undetected, if you don't fire your guns, and so on. How these factors all mesh together in turn informs which 'DD jobs' you're best suited for, and other priorities.

I've noticed there's a zone where your torpedoes can reach the target without you being noticed. I usually just get my work done there, until I get spotted (plane, enemy  DDs, bad map awareness...). I only use guns to try and finish off badly wounded ships and enemy DDs (last one only if the risk is worth it). More often than not, I just stay there to spot really... I think I'm pretty useless lol

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,572 posts
21,052 battles
On 12/17/2019 at 2:06 PM, nlegolass said:

But it implies knowing a lot about ships you aim at.

Less than you wold expect actually. There are some rules of thumb, that apply in most cases.In the following, i use "plating", to refer to refer to any armor, that's not part of the main belt, superstructure (and in some cases upper belt and deck-armor)
Naturally any bigger caliber will overmatch any lower armor threshold just the same.

armor

(mm)

occurs on minimum caliber needed(mm) occurs on
<= 19

T<=5 BB plating*

T<=7CA&CL plating

all RN CL plating

all BBs

all supercruisers

T6-7 BB plating

T8+ CA & CL(non RN) plating

(smallest sufficient caliber in the game is 380)

T6-8 KM BBs

T6 RN BBs

T8-9 MN BBs,

T8 RN BBs,

Burgogne (T10 MN),

Roma (T8 IRN)

27 USN/KM CA bow-plating

(smallest caliber in game that's enough is 406)

T7+ USN BBs

T7-9 IJN and Soviet BBs

T9+ KM & RN BBs

30 many upper belts on high tier CA 430

Republique, Kremlin,

Georgia, (T9 USN) Thunderer, Ohio (T10)

32 T8+ BB-plating 460

Yamato

Musashi (T9 IJN)

*dreadnoughts and super-dreadnoughts without an all-or-nothing scheme (basically all T3s except the USN and MN ones, the KM/Soviet T3-6, RN T3-5)

tend to be covered in additional armor along the waterline and partly up the sides, giving you much less exposed "normal plating" to shoot at.

As a side note: KM on any tier and Soviet BBs at most tiers tend to have additional armor strips along the waterline and reinforced central decks,

so if they are bow in to you, you need to aim at the upper 1/2 to 1/3 of the bow to hit the thin plating. (you can take a look using the tech-tree if you wish)

• Cool 1

[_TWT_]
Players
28 posts
1,547 battles

Thanks, that's very helpful. that technically means, if I understand correctly, that my Kongo can overmatch any T <=5 BBs, T<=7 Cruisers but none of the rest ?

Also, I thought that, when your gun calibers were too high you just overpen the armor when using AP ?

PS: all those informations are really useful thanks everyone.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,846 posts
14,117 battles
5 hours ago, nlegolass said:

I've noticed there's a zone where your torpedoes can reach the target without you being noticed.

Having that zone is what people are referring to when they talk about the ability to stealth torp; for example, Kagero gets about a 4.6 km window, whereas some ships have only a few metres (and things like Asashio get more than 10 km, even with TA).

BTW all those numbers assume a 'standard' 10 point DD captain (so, including CE) and a mounted concealment module).

Which reminds me: make sure you have all the useful 'distance' markers showing on your mini-map - hold down ctrl and click the cogwheels by the top corner of the mini-map to show options - I find it a lot easier to keep things at the right distances with most/all of those circles enabled. BTW you have to do it to each ship individually - it isn't set globally. It also often shows why the 'p' key is so essential for DD drivers to know about!

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,572 posts
21,052 battles
16 hours ago, nlegolass said:

that technically means, if I understand correctly, that my Kongo can overmatch any T <=5 BBs, T<=7 Cruisers but none of the rest ?

Basically yes. You can ofc always overmatch superstructure-"armor", since that's between 13-19mm (depending on the tier of your target) and armor-belts will ofc be able to bounce you.

For cruisers other than that you tend to be golden*, for BBs you're mostly right on bow- and stern-plating. For the rest it depends on how high the sides the armor extends.

(This is mainly an issue against angled KM/Soviet and low tier RN BBs, USN, MN and RN ships tend to have the "normal" plating level for their tier above the belt and everywhere on the bow/stern)

*For RN CL you can basically overmatch their plating everywhere (but the belt) with any BB-gun.

I amended my previous post to reflect that (kind of typed that last one during a break, so it was a bit rushed

16 hours ago, nlegolass said:

Also, I thought that, when your gun calibers were too high you just overpen the armor when using AP ?

Let me explain shell-impacts in a bit of detail i guess ?

For HE this is fairly trivial

Spoiler

When an HE-shell hits a target the only check that is run is:

• Armor (nominal thickness/mm) x6 >= gun-caliber/mm

If the armor passes the HE-shell gets shattered and won't do dmg to the ship (but it still has the normal chance to set a fire and will damage any modules within it's explosion radius)

For AP this is a bit more involved.

Spoiler

First comes the overmatch-check

• gun caliber/mm > armor (nominal thickness/mm) x 14.3

If this check passes the ricochet-check will be skipped. If not it will occur.
This is all that overmatch actually does in the game :)

Next the ricochet check (if overmatch does not apply):

• Random number (between 0 and 1) > ricochet chance

The ricochet chance is 0 for angles < 45° from the impact normal (somewhere in the 40-50s for RN CLs and USN CAs)

raises from 0 at that critical angle to 1 at 60° from normal (somewhere in the 60s for RN CLs and USN CAs) and stays at 1 for all the rest

(i.e. most AP will always bounce if the incidence angle to the armor is <= 30°)

If the shell ricochets it will reflect (same angle, just like light of a mirror) and either plunge into the water (external armor-plate)

or meet the next armor plate on it's way (bounce of internal armor) where the whole thing starts from the top.

If no ricochet occurs the final check happens:

• shell penetration >= armor (effective thickness/mm at [impact angle - normalisation])

If the shell passes the check it continues through the ship at reduced velocity (corresponding to it's left-over penetration)

If not it will detonate at that armor plate and do dmg to whatever portion of the ship it is in (none if it fails at an external armor plate or detonates inside a torpedo-bulge, which has no HP)

As you can see overmatch doesn't imply overpenetrating.
But if your shells hits a section it can overmatch (typically the bow or stern of a ship) at a relatively steep angle typically it won't meet much armor on it's way through the ship, which allows it to pass though.
If you on the other hand were to shoot at a bow-in (or stern in) cruiser (or BB) you can overmatch your shell has to travel through most of the enemy ship to exit, netting you guaranteed penetration or citadel dmg.

WG also created some videos explaining the mechanics, same as the spoiler above but short and pretty. ^^
This is the relevant section (about 1 minute starting at the time-stamp), but i recommend you watch the whole vid.

Spoiler

• Cool 1

[_TWT_]
Players
28 posts
1,547 battles
Il y a 17 heures, Verblonde a dit :

Having that zone is what people are referring to when they talk about the ability to stealth torp; for example, Kagero gets about a 4.6 km window, whereas some ships have only a few metres (and things like Asashio get more than 10 km, even with TA).

BTW all those numbers assume a 'standard' 10 point DD captain (so, including CE) and a mounted concealment module).

Which reminds me: make sure you have all the useful 'distance' markers showing on your mini-map - hold down ctrl and click the cogwheels by the top corner of the mini-map to show options - I find it a lot easier to keep things at the right distances with most/all of those circles enabled. BTW you have to do it to each ship individually - it isn't set globally. It also often shows why the 'p' key is so essential for DD drivers to know about! 

Alright. I already modified the minimap options yes. It's must have imo. Also changed the interface. I watched a video about that when I started playing the game. The "base" interface is pretty terrible.

Another question. Do you think I should stay a while at my current DD tier (V) ? Just to level up my captain  ? I'm not especially in a rush to go up in tiers (especially because my credits are starting to get pretty low).

Il y a 6 heures, rnat a dit :

Basically yes. You can ofc always overmatch superstructure-"armor", since that's between 13-19mm (depending on the tier of your target) and armor-belts will ofc be able to bounce you.

For cruisers other than that you tend to be golden*, for BBs you're mostly right on bow- and stern-plating. For the rest it depends on how high the sides the armor extends.

(This is mainly an issue against angled KM/Soviet and low tier RN BBs, USN, MN and RN ships tend to have the "normal" plating level for their tier above the belt and everywhere on the bow/stern)

*For RN CL you can basically overmatch their plating everywhere (but the belt) with any BB-gun.

I amended my previous post to reflect that (kind of typed that last one during a break, so it was a bit rushed 

Let me explain shell-impacts in a bit of detail i guess ?

For HE this is fairly trivial 

Révéler le contenu masqué

When an HE-shell hits a target the only check that is run is:

• Armor (nominal thickness/mm) x6 >= gun-caliber/mm

If the armor passes the HE-shell gets shattered and won't do dmg to the ship (but it still has the normal chance to set a fire and will damage any modules within it's explosion radius)

For AP this is a bit more involved.

First comes the overmatch-check

• gun caliber/mm > armor (nominal thickness/mm) x 14.3

If this check passes the ricochet-check will be skipped. If not it will occur.
This is all that overmatch actually does in the game :)

Next the ricochet check (if overmatch does not apply):

• Random number (between 0 and 1) > ricochet chance

The ricochet chance is 0 for angles < 45° from the impact normal (somewhere in the 40-50s for RN CLs and USN CAs)

raises from 0 at that critical angle to 1 at 60° from normal (somewhere in the 60s for RN CLs and USN CAs) and stays at 1 for all the rest

(i.e. most AP will always bounce if the incidence angle to the armor is <= 30°)

If the shell ricochets it will reflect (same angle, just like light of a mirror) and either plunge into the water (external armor-plate)

or meet the next armor plate on it's way (bounce of internal armor) where the whole thing starts from the top.

If no ricochet occurs the final check happens:

• shell penetration >= armor (effective thickness/mm at [impact angle - normalisation])

If the shell passes the check it continues through the ship at reduced velocity (corresponding to it's left-over penetration)

If not it will detonate at that armor plate and do dmg to whatever portion of the ship it is in (none if it fails at an external armor plate or detonates inside a torpedo-bulge, which has no HP)

As you can see overmatch doesn't imply overpenetrating.
But if your shells hits a section it can overmatch (typically the bow or stern of a ship) at a relatively steep angle typically it won't meet much armor on it's way through the ship, which allows it to pass though.
If you on the other hand were to shoot at a bow-in (or stern in) cruiser (or BB) you can overmatch your shell has to travel through most of the enemy ship to exit, netting you guaranteed penetration or citadel dmg.

WG also created some videos explaining the mechanics, same as the spoiler above but short and pretty. ^^
This is the relevant section (about 1 minute starting at the time-stamp), but i recommend you watch the whole vid.

Ok, lot's of a concepts I didn't even think about lol. Thanks. I think I understand but it's gonna take time to get those reflexes in combat. At the moment I pretty much just try to aim at the enemy ship without even aiming at specific parts (I know, that's bad). But its kind of hard with the kongo to aim at small targets at 10km+. It's got bad dispersion imo.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,142 posts
8,959 battles
1 hour ago, nlegolass said:

Alright. I already modified the minimap options yes. It's must have imo. Also changed the interface. I watched a video about that when I started playing the game. The "base" interface is pretty terrible.

Another question. Do you think I should stay a while at my current DD tier (V) ? Just to level up my captain  ? I'm not especially in a rush to go up in tiers (especially because my credits are starting to get pretty low).

Ok, lot's of a concepts I didn't even think about lol. Thanks. I think I understand but it's gonna take time to get those reflexes in combat. At the moment I pretty much just try to aim at the enemy ship without even aiming at specific parts (I know, that's bad). But its kind of hard with the kongo to aim at small targets at 10km+. It's got bad dispersion imo.

For the DD, I would say try to get your captain up a bit. 10 points is often ideal on tier 6+ as you gain access to concealment expert (-10% detection) which is mandatory for almost every DD in the game (and honestly most other ships aswell). The biggest reason why you need CE (concelment expert) on tier 6 apart from the obvious quality of life improvement is because you can face tier 8 ships. Tier 8 ships can fit an extra module that further lowers detection, so while you can't close the gap fully on them you can reduce it, thus improving your own survival.

For the BB, well you have already realised that you can basically aim wherever on any cruiser you face, so as long as you can make your shots land on the enemy ship you are fine. On other BB's, if they angle try to aim a bit higher and hit the base of the superstructure or barbettes. Usually that leads to some damage. Dispersion wise, well welcome to BB life. Higher tiers tend to get better accuracy and more shells, but missing full salvoes at close range or just getting one overpenetration from 12 shells is not uncommon. 

You can mitigate this by moving closer and with proper lead and armor weakness knowledge, but they are the most RNG prone class (for better and for worse) in terms of gunnery.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,846 posts
14,117 battles
On 12/19/2019 at 8:50 AM, nlegolass said:

Another question. Do you think I should stay a while at my current DD tier (V) ?

My personal view is that a ten point captain is pretty much the minimum standard for any tiers in the +2 MM bracket (so T5 and up), entirely because of CE.

That's not to say you're certainly Doomed if you put out without one, but you will probably be at a significant disadvantage, for the reasons @ollonborre mentions. For example, it took me a while to get my Blysk captain up to 10 points (no 19 pointers at the time, and no other ships to train the captain in, again at the time); while I was getting there, I got my donkey handed to me repeatedly, but the moment I got CE, the ship almost transformed just because of the modest reduction in detection radius. Basically though, the higher the tier, the more important good captains become; at T5, you may well get away with it, much less so at T10...

If you're short of good captains, make sure you keep an eye on Ops, and get at least 4 stars on any that award a captain (I think it's 4 that gives the captain); for a newer player getting enough decent captains should be a key goal and this is one easy route. As an example, the current Op gives a ten point IJN captain with the first 4+ star victory.

The longer term goal is to acquire 19 point captains, as the xp they earn goes straight into the elite xp pot and can be used on any captain; the first one will probably take you months to develop, but the second will be faster (assuming you play the first one a lot), and so on. It helps if your first (especially, but others too) one can switch between a silver ship and at least one premium so as to take advantage of as many daily first win bonuses as possible. This approach is also highly effective for developing lower point captains too.

[_TWT_]
Players
28 posts
1,547 battles

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that things are going a bit smoother. Looking at my stats I can see a clear evolution.

The DD play-style is still pretty harsh for me. With the mutuski I can make things work. The CVs aren't that much of a problem. Most that I encounter are pretty average/mediocre. The biggest difficulty I've had is with other DDs with better guns than my ship. Which is: all the DDs lol. So i just tend to try and avoid them as much as possible.

I've reached tier VII with the Myoko. I'm getting very good with it. I guess that if you haven't learn not to broadside with a enemy BB at this tier, meeting good BB IX players should do it. Got deleted once or twice.

At the moment I'm raging a lot with the Fuso. I feel like it's a very good ship, but I've got trouble using it at its best capacities. I'm averaging 50k damage battle. The higher tier BBs are a huge problem. Most of the times my guns aren't enough to penetrate their armour. I'm at a point where I tend to use HE 50% of the time.

The Ryujo is still as good as before. I rarely lose with it.

Anyway, I did this with my Kongo for its last battle before reaching Fuso (see pic attached). I'm pretty proud and just wanted to brag a little :Smile_glasses:

Thanks for all the advice, it looks like it's helping :Smile_great:

wowsKongo.JPG

• Cool 3

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,142 posts
8,959 battles

Nice to hear @nlegolass. Just some small pointers and hopefully tips.

The DD line you have chosen is not terrible, but it has been nerfed and powercrept heavily. Some golden spots still exist like the Fubuki and from what I have heard the Kagero. But the overall issue is that they are one of the most torpedo heavy DD lines in the game. This would not be a problem if the torpedoes were awesomesauce but thanks to nerfs to their torpedo concealment they sort of are not. Not to mention while their alpha damage with their guns are excellent they will get wrecked in pure gunfights because of the rest of the gunstats beeing rather meh.

So for a starting line the IJN torpboats culminating in the Shimakaze are not ideal. They rely a lot on torpedoes which also happens to be the most unreliable form of damage in the game, so hybrid DD's like the US, Germans and the British are often the better option as you can always use your guns more if your torpedoes fail. And if you go the other IJN route you end up with some of the most fun and strong DD's in the game, Akizuki and Kitakaze.

Offcourse you can stick with it and still get good results, but hybrids tend to be better as they still get pretty nasty torpedoes (Fletcher is a great example of this) and can hold their own in a gunfight.

• Cool 1

[_TWT_]
Players
28 posts
1,547 battles

After your advice ollonbore I have given up on the IJN DD torp line. i've unlocked the Fubuki (but didn't buy it) and transfered my captain to the Minekaze.

Honestly I have given up playing DD altogether for a while, the results are too random. In a match with no more than 2 DD I'm doing fine,  but any more than that, I get wrecked because I rely too much on the torps to do something. Sometimes I even die without making more than 2k damage... Plus, I want to focus on other lines.

I've unlocked the Nagato. I love it. The guns are hella accurate and I've managed to get as many as 4 citadels in one volley at 13-14km range. They pen almost constantly. Its the opposite of the Fuso which I feel I didn't like as much as everyone else or, as I should. Sure its got a good broadside but that's about it. Even at close range every volley is a dice roll.

I"m also about to unlock the Mogami. I hope it's as good as the Myoko. The only way I do bad in with the Myoko is when I end up pretty much alone either because half of my team got deleted in 30 seconds or because they suddenly decided to give up on capping/defending an Area without any apparent reason.

[LEEUW]
[LEEUW]
Players
468 posts
7,507 battles
On 12/18/2019 at 3:01 PM, nlegolass said:

Most of the time I aim around the "white auto marker", and most of the time I just miss completely.

That line only shows where to aim the torps when the ship will maintain the same speed and direction.

Sometimes you see a BB player that's just sailing around brainless in a straight line, your torps will hit him then. But most other classes and players will turn their ship or speed up/slow down sometimes.

So basically you have to predict what the other ship will do and use the white line as an indication of speed and direction to predict where you need to launch the torps. And that is a hard part indeed and a pure gamble.

I think DD's are the hardest regular class to learn and CA/CL the easiest.

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,572 posts
21,052 battles
On 1/23/2020 at 1:55 PM, nlegolass said:

I"m also about to unlock the Mogami. I hope it's as good as the Myoko. The only way I do bad in with the Myoko is when I end up pretty much alone either because half of my team got deleted in 30 seconds or because they suddenly decided to give up on capping/defending an Area without any apparent reason.

The Mogami has much poorer protection than the Myoko, which has tier for tier a pretty good armor.

If you have an extra captain to spare for her you can play 155 Mogami with IFHE&CE, which gives her a very nice DPM.
Otherwise play a bit safer than the Myoko, the Mogamin is known to be squishy so BBs like to squish her.