You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
LordTareq

Best CV line for exterminating dd’s?

40 comments in this topic

Players
278 posts
1,667 battles

Which line is considered the most effective at the dd hunting role? I started with playing the Japanese carrier line, and recently due to Mighty Jingles captain started the British line (tier 6). Unfortunately despite expecting the Brits to be great vs dd’s (more poweful rockets than japanese & carpet he bombs), in practice they are imho worse: slow speed and slow turning circle. The British CV’s have been disappointing so far in regards to my favorite pastime: extermination of dd’s (the result of getting torped and laughed at by a Shimakaze in my beloved Bismarck once upon a time). Would the US cv’s be better or is the Japanese cv line already the best for dd hunting?

• Cool 4
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 4
  • Angry 1

Players
223 posts
4,833 battles
1 minute ago, LordTareq said:

...the result of getting torped and laughed at by a Shimakaze in my beloved Bismarck once upon a time...

that's what i call "to hold a grudge:Smile_izmena:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,641 posts
24,346 battles

go. now. beyond that corner plz. yep, the one just in front. stay there until someone calls u out plz. thx. bye....................................

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Players
1,834 posts
15,434 battles

Show us where the nasty shima touched your hydro-equipped BB with it's blazingly fast, impossible to spot torps.. totally worth declaring a blood oath and resorting to using a BS broken class to do it.. /s

• Funny 6

[JRM]
Players
6,768 posts
40 minutes ago, LordTareq said:

(the result of getting torped and laughed at by a Shimakaze in my beloved Bismarck once upon a time).

Would the US cv’s be better or is the Japanese cv line already the best for dd hunting?

1. You a scorpio m8? :Smile_teethhappy:

2. Yes in general US us best due

to having both RF and DB that are effective, also higher tier RN cvs are quite decent as well actually there are ways to improve the hitrate on the dds using the proper tecnique you can delete them basically just as easy as with the US

Players
10,103 posts
11,872 battles

Overall? Enterprise. Actually decent dispersion on rockets, 12 plane squadron, THE fastest plane recovery

Silver ones? Depends on the tier

tier 4: just drop torps at them from Hosho

tier 6: Ranger with Furious following, Ryujo can work if you have good aim

tier 8: Shokaku, Lexington throws not enough TiTs to be "reliable" against DDs and HVARs have A LOT of spread, so daily visit at RNGesus shrine might be needed. Similar issue with Implacable

tier 10: Hakuryu, Audacious and Midway TiTs. Because HVARs are better left somewhere in the basement.

Players
2,982 posts
16,947 battles

In general for silver ships:

- IJN: can really only use RFs vs DDs. Although the TB are probably the best of the 3 nations for DD work (DDs can outrun the torps of other nations), using TBs on DD is very hard.

- USN: RFs are best left in the basement. TiTis are made for cruiser work, have too few rockets to reliably hit a DD, while HVARs are made for DD work but requires you approach DD from broadside: Not happening. Use HE DBs vs DDs instead.

- RN: Slow and very maneuverable planes. Both RFs and Carpetbombs can be used on DDs, with RF being the better. 

Players
278 posts
1,667 battles

Okey what my semi-humorous post meant was whether its worth picking up the US cv line as opposed to the japanese line, for the purpose of dd hunting.

I don’t actually hold a grudge against dd’s, in fact I play dd’s myself albeit not so often, its just that taking out dd’s is imho the most important job of the CV in the first half of the game, so I’d rather play the CV line that is best at this.

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,020 posts
10,859 battles
1 hour ago, Panocek said:

Lexington throws not enough TiTs to be "reliable" against DDs and HVARs have A LOT of spread,

I agree 2 TiTs per plane is not reliable..

but If you take a little time and get the DD on roughly broadside,

HVARs on Lexy is devastating against DDs..

much better than IJN or RN silver CVs If you ask me..

I have no idea about the premium ones.. But only the Big E is better I presume..

• Cool 2

[PANEU]
Players
929 posts
2,162 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, LordTareq sagte:

Which line is considered the most effective at the dd hunting role? I started with playing the Japanese carrier line, and recently due to Mighty Jingles captain started the British line (tier 6). Unfortunately despite expecting the Brits to be great vs dd’s (more poweful rockets than japanese & carpet he bombs), in practice they are imho worse: slow speed and slow turning circle. The British CV’s have been disappointing so far in regards to my favorite pastime: extermination of dd’s (the result of getting torped and laughed at by a Shimakaze in my beloved Bismarck once upon a time). Would the US cv’s be better or is the Japanese cv line already the best for dd hunting?

The jap ones are if you have a good torp aim. Oh I killed so many dd's in my shokaku using Torpedos. But just one thing. Don't be to nasty to those little ones... They also wanna have fun :) 

Players
133 posts
2,581 battles

from the silver ones - I'm happy with performance of IJN carriers in that regard.

and if we consider premiums as well - that's one thing Graf Zeppelin is stupidly good at. The RF are slow, have a very tight turning circle and reasonable rocket damage - it's well possible to delete a dd with a single squadron

Players
2,780 posts
17,292 battles
2 hours ago, LordTareq said:

(the result of getting torped and laughed at by a Shimakaze in my beloved Bismarck once upon a time

To be fair, that Shima player probably had a 30% WR and any torps hitting a ship would trigger a silly response in chat.

Players
5,979 posts
11,653 battles
5 hours ago, LordTareq said:

I wish you good luck on your bughunt! Gotta squish em before they multiply and become an uncontroillable pest! :fish_nerv::cap_like:

Players
8,393 posts
9,218 battles
23 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

I have a cunning plan for you... :fish_haloween: just announce your position to the enemy and wait for us DD's to come fo... to you! :fish_aqua:

Main issue with that is that most of the time, BBs will take potshots. DD itself is often a non-issue. Just track their position with the two spotted indicators, spot the bugger, turn the opposite direction and farm the fool.

• Cool 1

Players
5,079 posts
1 hour ago, Sleepy_Bunny said:

Main issue with that is that most of the time, BBs will take potshots. DD itself is often a non-issue. Just track their position with the two spotted indicators, spot the bugger, turn the opposite direction and farm the fool.

:fish_book:

Players
8,393 posts
9,218 battles
2 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

:fish_book:

Really fun at T8 and 10, when ships like GZ or Implacable are coated in 21 mm armour or more and DD HE only pens superstructure. As long as the DD cannot torp you (which is why you run the other way in a 30+ knot CV), it's basically a free kill. Something like aforementioned CVs also will be extra happy, because their slow rocket planes means DD being closer makes it less bothersome (and GZ secondaries may join in at some point).

• Cool 1

Players
2,982 posts
16,947 battles
12 minutes ago, Sleepy_Bunny said:

Really fun at T8 and 10, when ships like GZ or Implacable are coated in 21 mm armour or more and DD HE only pens superstructure. As long as the DD cannot torp you (which is why you run the other way in a 30+ knot CV), it's basically a free kill. .

Yamato from across the map might have a a word or two to say about that.:cap_rambo: