Jump to content
You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
arquata2019

Some Yamato history

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[-RAF-]
Players
851 posts
5,845 battles

The Yamato was simply the powerful, most armored, big ship ever!

The truth is that 5 Yamatos were expected to be build, but only 2has been builded, now i'll say everything:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yamato

First ship of her class, she fighted at Midway Atoll, and stayed in formation with the japanese fleet;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Musashi

Japanese battleship Musashi.jpgMusashi in the  october 1944, heading for Leyte Gulf

She's was the 2nd of Yamato  class, she fighted along her in Leyte Gulf, she took (if i remember correctly) 15bombs and 21torpedoes to get sunk, and the whole fleet, trying to approaching the american carriers, got sunk - at exception of Yamato, which run away.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hakuryù (or Shinano) 

 

Shinano photo.jpg This originally was the  3rd Yamato class, but was converted in an Aircraft Carrier, for that reason the Hakuryù was the only only one in her class.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 4th Yamato and the 5th yamato were not built

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(summary)

Yamato was the powerful ship in the world, and she got improved a lot in 1943-1944-1945

Musashi was her sister, she fight in Leyte Gulf and got sunk along the rest of the fleet

The Hakuryù (Shinano) Was converted into an aircraft carrier

The 4th and The 5th Yamato class ships we're not build, the 4th had no resources/time to build, the 5th one never got ordered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[XTREM]
Players
1,802 posts
14,043 battles
59 minutes ago, arquata2019 said:

The Hakuryù (Shinano) Was converted into an aircraft carrier

 

You keep saying Shinano and Hakuryu like they are the same ship, but that's wrong. 

 

Shinano was Shinano, a conversion of the 3rd, still incomplete Yamato-class BB into a Carrier, named after Shinano province(Now called Nagano Prefecture). 

 

Hakuryu(the name means ''White Dragon'') is a semi-fictional design based off of Project G15, meant to have been an improvement upon the Taiho-class Carrier. None were ever built. 

Hakuryu has nothing to do with Yamato. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
5,381 posts
2,939 battles
3 hours ago, arquata2019 said:

and the whole fleet, trying to approaching the american carriers, got sunk - at exception of Yamato, which run away

 

What the hell are you talking about ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-RAF-]
Players
851 posts
5,845 battles

don't kill me but i said everything i knew, i could go in details but i used no wiki, (only for images) to write xD

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
5,381 posts
2,939 battles
20 minutes ago, arquata2019 said:

don't kill me

I wasn't planning to.

 

I was referring to this part :

4 hours ago, arquata2019 said:

the whole fleet, trying to approaching the american carriers, got sunk

 

You mean... At Leyte ? I assume the you're talking about the central force, right ? But a substantial number of vessels from the central force survived the battle off Samar, not only Yamato.

 

You see, you wrote almost nothing (a dozen of lines and that's being generous) and yet amongst this dozens of line you manage to do several mistakes - and I'm not talking about how arguable is the statement "Yamato was the powerfulest/most armored battleship of her time".

You should research your subject a lot more before considering posting anything, double check all your facts, and work far more on what you write. Enthousiasm is good and welcome but spreading false information is bad.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
315 posts
12 hours ago, LastButterfly said:

 

What the hell are you talking about ?

I guess he was talking about Yamato surviving the battle, the famous Yukikaze destroyer for example was present and that ship not only survived the battle but the war and also was awarded to the Republic of China where she remained in service (in fact that ship have a very interesting history being known as a good luck as well as a curse, amazing enough all her 4 captains survived the war with only 10 crewman casualties during the whole war).

 

In fact in the battle Yamato fired on the USS White Plains where it one of the shells of the 3rd salvo exploded underwater under her keel near the engine room, the shockwave from the underwater explosion caused mishap such as tripping the circuit breakers of her electric grind besides damaging the hull but it also saved the ship, the explosion also caused black smoke to rise from the ship that lead Yamato to believe she had sunk and switched targets, White Plains escaped the battle despite being Yamato first target, Yamato second target was the USS Johnston with her secondaries, Johnston survived the encounter but not the battle as the ship was finished off by Yukikaze after the ship was abandoned (with her captain saluting the ship), followed by firing on the USS Raymond that also survived the encounter and the war, then on the USS Hoel that had fired her torpedoes at Yamato forcing her to turn north and more important in that, to lose contact with the battle (important as she was the Kurita flagship so he lost contact with his forces) with Hoel being sunk by Kongo and that was about it for her record, There is a reported hit on the USS Gambier Bay with Kongo also reporting a hit but Gambier Bay records a near miss.

 

So ... no actual kills, all the ships she fired on either survived or were sunk by other ships, still a better record that Musashi who ended up as target practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
5,381 posts
2,939 battles
8 hours ago, WWDragon said:

I guess he was talking about Yamato surviving the battle, the famous Yukikaze destroyer for example was present and that ship not only survived the battle but the war and also was awarded to the Republic of China where she remained in service (in fact that ship have a very interesting history being known as a good luck as well as a curse, amazing enough all her 4 captains survived the war with only 10 crewman casualties during the whole war).

 

In fact in the battle Yamato fired on the USS White Plains where it one of the shells of the 3rd salvo exploded underwater under her keel near the engine room, the shockwave from the underwater explosion caused mishap such as tripping the circuit breakers of her electric grind besides damaging the hull but it also saved the ship, the explosion also caused black smoke to rise from the ship that lead Yamato to believe she had sunk and switched targets, White Plains escaped the battle despite being Yamato first target, Yamato second target was the USS Johnston with her secondaries, Johnston survived the encounter but not the battle as the ship was finished off by Yukikaze after the ship was abandoned (with her captain saluting the ship), followed by firing on the USS Raymond that also survived the encounter and the war, then on the USS Hoel that had fired her torpedoes at Yamato forcing her to turn north and more important in that, to lose contact with the battle (important as she was the Kurita flagship so he lost contact with his forces) with Hoel being sunk by Kongo and that was about it for her record, There is a reported hit on the USS Gambier Bay with Kongo also reporting a hit but Gambier Bay records a near miss.

 

So ... no actual kills, all the ships she fired on either survived or were sunk by other ships, still a better record that Musashi who ended up as target practice.

 

I was reacting to the fact the whole fleet was sunk at this battle bar Yamato, which is untrue.

Also note that as far as I'm aware no credible source has credit Johnston's sinking or subsequent saluting to the Yukikaze. 

 

Besides that, yeah, that's pretty much a given that Yamato was a useless ship in terms of combat record, but the same can be said of almost all famous battleships (Roma ? Check. Tirpitz ? Somewhat check. Hood ? Definitely check. Richelieu ? Absolutely check).

People just like big things not for what they did but for what they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
315 posts
7 hours ago, LastButterfly said:

Besides that, yeah, that's pretty much a given that Yamato was a useless ship in terms of combat record, but the same can be said of almost all famous battleships (Roma ? Check. Tirpitz ? Somewhat check. Hood ? Definitely check. Richelieu ? Absolutely check).

People just like big things not for what they did but for what they are.

Its more they never used the Yamatos offensively until Leyte, despite having the chance, if I remember Yamato was so long on in port she got the nickname of Hotel Yamato.

 

The ships you name at least had reasons why. Roma could not be deployed considering the fuel shortages that pretty much made the Regia Marina a non-entity, Tirpitz despite not doing anything still forced the Royal Navy to keep forces in reserve to keep her in check, Hood was present at the most honorable engagement of Mer-el-Kebir and her sinking was certainly memorable, Richelieu had the fate of the French Navy were it didnt do anything during the war but still seen some action postwar (so did Jean Bart).

 

Despite the Yamatos having the biggest navy guns, the 40 cm/45 Type 94, they were never actually used until far too late and the Japanese Navy had no excuses for that and when they did it was with such poor results. Also the Iowas werent exactly smaller and were much better deployed by the US Navy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
5,381 posts
2,939 battles
24 minutes ago, WWDragon said:

if I remember Yamato was so long on in port she got the nickname of Hotel Yamato

That doesn't have much to do with her time spent in port, but rather with the luxurious living conditions aboard (for Japanese Navy standards that is)

 

Despite the fact that they all "had their reasons" for not doing anything, fact remains that people's favorites or often vessels that have been absolutely useless.

 

31 minutes ago, WWDragon said:

the 40 cm/45 Type 94, they were never actually used until far too late and the Japanese Navy had no excuses

That the japanese had no excuse for it is debatable. It has little to do with Yamato itself and more with their Decisive Battle doctrine conflicting with their execution.

 

26 minutes ago, WWDragon said:

Also the Iowas werent exactly smaller

A ship is usually designated through its displacement instead of sheer size and Iowa displaced some 15k tons less then yamato (roughly). It's a significant difference, even for some of largest battleships ever built for their respective nation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
5,381 posts
2,939 battles
On 12/16/2019 at 2:17 PM, arquata2019 said:

last butterfly, i already met you in a match yesterday you, or 2days ago

:D

 

This is unlikely, unless my account has been hacked. I haven't played since... Enterprise's release I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[40-1]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
309 posts
10,738 battles
On 2/9/2020 at 6:00 PM, iFax said:

Yeah - best book for people who are models makers. 

@arquata2019 - if you are interested some more about the projects check website https://warshipprojects.com/2018/04/24/the-yamato-class-genesis/

You will also find nice sources base there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×