Sign in to follow this  
BattleshipGunner

Premium account for tier 8 ships?

15 comments in this topic

Players
81 posts
1,023 battles

Hi,

I've been playing my Chapayev for a few battles today and I keep losing battles. I mostly do average to good damage in these battles and I very rarely get a profit of 100k+ credits.

Game I just had in my Chapayev:

wows_chapayev.thumb.png.b2ef879827586cffc1266de6cc023507.png

I have the Infernal permanent camo on my Chapayev.

Do I need premium account to get a reasonable profit from tier 8?

Thanks.

Players
5,979 posts
11,615 battles
29 minutes ago, BattleshipGunner said:

Hi,

I've been playing my Chapayev for a few battles today and I keep losing battles. I mostly do average to good damage in these battles and I very rarely get a profit of 100k+ credits.

Thanks.

Ships with lots of consumables are very costly to run. I have the same issue when playing French cruisers. Even ships I perform pretty well in like CM (also tier 8) I barely make a net profit even with premium.

You can try reducting the cost by selecting your premium consumables carefully (some don't really need a premium consumable as much. The heal and repair are vital, but you could skimp on hydro and defaa to save some credits).

But easier is to use your premium days to grind a lot of credits, and basically use that as a buffer to get you through your financially harder times.

Easiest solution is to simply get premium.

• Cool 1

Players
81 posts
1,023 battles
7 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

You can try reducting the cost by selecting your premium consumables carefully

Yea I don't run premium consumables.All the consumables used in that battle were standard.

Players
10,094 posts
11,861 battles
32 minutes ago, BattleshipGunner said:

Hi,

Thanks.

Premium paints give meaningful economy boosts only on tier 10 ships, on lower tiers its superficial at best. 10% maintenance reduction on a ship costing 75k to begin with is irrelevant 7.5k saving.

Tier 7 is turning point for most players where they can sustain themselves, tier 8 and higher requires premium account or simply put, "git gud".

And before "but I did damage" - what matters from economy standpoint is %hp damage done, not absolute numbers. So 40k damage done to three destroyers will give you much more than 80k done to battleship.

• Cool 4

Players
1,814 posts
15,377 battles
15 hours ago, BattleshipGunner said:

Yea I don't run premium consumables.All the consumables used in that battle were standard.

There's your problem, then. Not running premium consumables will result in worse games. Worse games give you less credits. It's a really bad idea, just as running with no upgrades or camo is a bad idea. Just don't do it. If you're really hurting for money, you can sometimes get away with running some stock consumables, but on the chappy I'd run all 3 of them premium. Premium damage control is a must on all ships, it will help you survive when you otherwise would have died. The ability to fix your rudder or engine, or get rid of a fire when you're low can be the difference between you surviving or not. At the very least, the difference between a good or meh game, but sometimes the difference between winning or losing. On the chappy you also get to choose between defAA and hydro (honestly, with the defAA nerfs you might consider going hydro), here maaybe you can get away with stock, especially if you go defAA, but radar? Definitely run premium. Shorter cooldown and an additional radar charge will result in more enemy DD's being killed or damaged/driven off, which will have a direct effect on your win rate and in-game score.

Just.. don't run pleb consumables, please. It may seem like you're saving money in some games, but long term you will be at a loss. And so will your teams be as well.

Players
93 posts

Yes Random battles can result in awesome income when you do well and play for the objectives (solo captures especially). But Randoms without Prem Cons are pain... And yes Tier 8 and especially 9 is the place where premium time + camo are basically mandatory if you want to keep cashflow positive.

Honestly, best way to grind credits is to... play Co-op.

It may sound strange on the surface. But you don't need Prem Consumables there. With dock clan base and premium time&camo you can easily do 100k netto/5-7 minutes. Most important factor in Co-op is not to camp but aggressively pursue bots and cap. So you'll get sunk here and there, but what you have to lose, scratching paint job on the hull? Despise camping per se, especially tragic seeing ships like Bismarck or Torpitz sniping from 20 km away... Currently best ship (which you Can buy) for grinding [Co-op] credits is Kii with Makoto Kobayashi camo. 200-250k a game without any flags no problem (running my in of course secondary/AA build Yamamoto). Even without premium time you can earn easily 100k+. Technically Ashitaka is even better (Tier 7 with Tier 10 camo), but it is just paper ship. Even light cruisers can pen you for days. Couple of old screenshot  to prove the point.

World of Warships_2019-11-15_20-00-49.png

World of Warships_2019-11-15_20-01-02.png

World of Warships_2019-11-19_19-14-41.png

World of Warships_2019-11-19_19-14-51.png

• Cool 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,142 posts
8,949 battles
10 minutes ago, VorlonInside said:

Yes Random battles can result in awesome income when you do well and play for the objectives (solo captures especially). But Randoms without Prem Cons are pain... And yes Tier 8 and especially 9 is the place where premium time + camo are basically mandatory if you want to keep cashflow positive.

It may sound strange on the surface. But you don't need Prem Consumables there. With dock clan base and premium time&camo you can easily do 100k netto/5-7 minutes.

I will disagree here because yeah 100k netto for ~7 minutes work sounds good on paper, you can easily achieve 400-500k netto in a tier 8 premium (and even tier 7 premium) for around 10-12 minutes spent in battle with the same boosters applied in randoms. So no coop is not all things considered the best place to farm credits, randoms still reign supreme in that regard.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,818 posts
14,070 battles
On 12/14/2019 at 2:02 PM, BattleshipGunner said:

The unhelpful answer is 'it depends' - basically, if you're really good at the game, then you can probably manage without premium account; most mortals need premium to consistently make a profit from T8 (and up) though.

This is very deliberate, of course - WG want you to spend money on the game. It's for this reason that people who ask 'what is the best thing to buy in WOWS?' (probably expecting a premium ship answer) tend to get told 'premium time'.

There are a few things you can focus on to maximise your silver income and minimise expenditure (apologies for any repetition of earlier posts):

• The usual first piece of advice is 'git gud'; this isn't people just being smartdonkeys - the key driver of rewards is damage, but more than that it's relative damage i.e. a BB has a lot more hitpoints than a DD does; if you do - say - 10,000 points of damage to both, you might knock off 2/3 of the DD's hp total (depending on tier), whilst barely inconveniencing the BB. In this case, you'll be rewarded a lot more for zapping the DD as you knocked off a much higher proportion of his hp. Part of gitting gud is being able to do the damage needed for maximum rewards, combined with the skill-set to stay alive for long enough to do said damage.
  • Play randoms, but at tiers you are comfortable with, and can consistently do well with - that's not to say you shouldn't ever play at the higher tiers in your range (you should, as part of the quest for gudness), but rather (at this stage) view the higher tier matches as something you may need to spend silver on, and the lower tier ones as where you make the silver back (plus extra to buy new ships etc.). A higher tier random battle where you're dead in two minutes is less help to your economy than a lower tier one where you last to the end and (hopefully) scrag lots of enemy ships.
  • Don't forget Ops (especially Narai); with the possible exception of the nasty defence one (Newport?), it's fairly straightforward to get consistently good results from Ops, especially if you're playing in a division - quite a few players (including me) use Ops as convenient silver grinders, not to mention painless ways to get T6 and T7 ships finished (no T8 Ops at the moment, alas).
  • Choose your consumables wisely i.e. which to pick premium versions of, and which to go standard with. For example, I pretty much always run premium DCP (even in Coop), as the faster cooldown (and extra charge for the Russians) tends to help keep me alive for long enough to do more than enough extra damage to pay for the silver cost. Are you in a mode without planes - if so, you don't need premium fighter (probably - they can spot too), and definitely not DefAA. Shorter game modes may not need premium healing potion (although beware longer cooldown), and so on.
  • First game of the day in any ship (and whenever you change modes), sense-check the loadout of anything that costs silver (consumables, signals, cammo) and/or anything that you don't want to waste on less demanding modes (dragon flags and top-end cammo especially) - ditch anything you don't need. It's a pain to do consistently, but it will save you a lot of silver.
  • Play premium ships (that you can do well in); they don't need to be paid for with money - as you know, there are a bunch available for coal/free xp/missions etc. If you are going to spend money, premium time should still be your first stop, but a few well-chosen premium ships can make a significant difference (read reviews first, of course). Besides captain training, the key plus of premiums is that they generate more silver.
  • Consider permaflage on any silver T10s that you eventually get - they'll turn the economy of the relevant ship into effectively a premium. The down-side is that they are horribly expensive (doubloons); it's very much worth it to try and pick up any freebies that come along via missions etc. even if you don't have the ship yet. Lower tier permaflage can be helpful too (although usually nothing like the T10 ones), if only because it means you don't have to use consumable cammo, possibly saving you silver.
  • On the subject of cammo, if you ever get the chance to pick up a Kobayashi cammo for something, do so (again, it'll probably cost you money though) - it'll turn the ship it's for into a ridiculously effective silver earner.

There's other stuff, but you get the general idea! If you're going to focus on one thing though, it's doing maximum damage...

• Cool 3

[SM0KE]
Players
5,818 posts
14,070 battles
2 hours ago, BattleshipGunner said:

Yea, about permanent camos, I have almost finished that anime collection which gives the Yamato K117 camo, that may be useful.

It will be enormously useful (economy-wise, you'll more or less have a premium Yamato, and won't have to spend thousands of doubloons), provided you get on with the ship; don't focus too much on Yamato yet though, for the usual "don't rush up the tiers" reasons, plus there are some excellent ships lower down the tree that it'd be a shame to rush through (with the possible exception of the T9, although it did recently get a buff)...

• Cool 1

Players
81 posts
1,023 battles
14 hours ago, Verblonde said:

It will be enormously useful (economy-wise, you'll more or less have a premium Yamato, and won't have to spend thousands of doubloons), provided you get on with the ship; don't focus too much on Yamato yet though, for the usual "don't rush up the tiers" reasons, plus there are some excellent ships lower down the tree that it'd be a shame to rush through (with the possible exception of the T9, although it did recently get a buff)...

Yea, it looks like a fun ship to play (Yamato) but I don't know if I would quite 'get' the positioning with it.

I know you shouldn't snipe at the back in a battleship but with the shape of Yamato's citadel it's also not an ideal brawler (or at least it seems that way)

Medium range? Bow on?

Thanks for the reply btw.

Players
81 posts
1,023 battles
On 12/16/2019 at 12:42 PM, VorlonInside said:

It may sound strange on the surface. But you don't need Prem Consumables there. With dock clan base and premium time&camo you can easily do 100k netto/5-7 minutes. Most important factor in Co-op is not to camp but aggressively pursue bots and cap. So you'll get sunk here and there, but what you have to lose, scratching paint job on the hull? Despise camping per se, especially tragic seeing ships like Bismarck or Torpitz sniping from 20 km away... Currently best ship (which you Can buy) for grinding [Co-op] credits is Kii with Makoto Kobayashi camo. 200-250k a game without any flags no problem (running my in of course secondary/AA build Yamamoto). Even without premium time you can earn easily 100k+. Technically Ashitaka is even better (Tier 7 with Tier 10 camo), but it is just paper ship. Even light cruisers can pen you for days. Couple of old screenshot  to prove the point.

World of Warships_2019-11-15_20-00-49.png

World of Warships_2019-11-15_20-01-02.png

World of Warships_2019-11-19_19-14-41.png

World of Warships_2019-11-19_19-14-51.png

woah, thanks for that!

Is the Makoto Kobayashi camo still available?

[SM0KE]
Players
5,818 posts
14,070 battles
3 hours ago, BattleshipGunner said:

I know you shouldn't snipe at the back in a battleship but with the shape of Yamato's citadel it's also not an ideal brawler (or at least it seems that way)

Medium range? Bow on?

I'm afraid I'm rather flaky when it comes to playing BBs against real people (I do it occasionally, but it often doesn't end well, and I prefer manly brawlers) - BB-meisters, assemble - the man needs spiritual guidance!

Playing against the things, I don't worry about long range sniping Yamatos much - they often don't hit anything; it seems to be medium range where they get more alarming. I'm slightly less unfamiliar with Musashi, and that certainly starts doing some fairly terrifying damage around medium range...

Sorry that isn't very helpful.

BTW re: the Yamashi citadel; although everyone on here knows about shooting the 'cheeks', I'm less certain the average player does...

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,570 posts
21,008 battles

Yamato is more of a mid-range ship. Get a position and hold it. If played well she can be an extraordinarily nasty thing to get past.

Flamu has some very good vids on playing her if you're interested.

Spoiler

Sign in to follow this