Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Purnylla

What do I need to do for Operations?

8 comments in this topic

[GEUS]
[GEUS]
Players
304 posts
9,832 battles

Never done operations. Total newbie. I recently unlocked a tier VI ship, but I'm hesitant to just jump into an Operation since I don't know what to expect, and what my teammates would expect from me.

How do I prepare for an Operation?

Do I need my ship equipped with signals, consumables, upgrades, and a well-trained commander? Anything else I should know before I participate in an Operation? 

• Cool 1

Players
10,094 posts
11,861 battles
22 minutes ago, Purnylla said:

Get a ship of tier required for Operation, put captain on her. Done.

Captain retrained for the ship (if its non premium one) with captain skills acquired, any mounted upgrades or in case of battleships, survivability signal flags help. Any economic signals or paints are optional

22 minutes ago, Purnylla said:

but I'm hesitant to just jump into an Operation since I don't know what to expect, and what my teammates would expect from me

Objectives are listed in top left corner. And expect absolute potato salad of teammates. Perfect example: Killer Whale operation (attack on base and retreat), I've lost count of 5 star defeats due to no one bothering to go towards escape zone as last objective:Smile_smile:

You can look up on youtube some replays of Operations to get a glimpse of what to expect.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,818 posts
14,070 battles
38 minutes ago, Purnylla said:

Never done operations. Total newbie. I recently unlocked a tier VI ship, but I'm hesitant to just jump into an Operation since I don't know what to expect, and what my teammates would expect from me.

Do I need my ship equipped with signals, consumables, upgrades, and a well-trained commander? Anything else I should know before I participate in an Operation? 

Firstly, it's a good idea to do your first few run-throughs in a division, ideally with voice comms, with an experienced player - they'll be able to give you pointers as to what you should be doing and when. To get the most from Ops, it's helpful to know in advance roughly what's going to happen and when (examples being things like the CV and transports in Narai, or the Hosho in Raptor Rescue).

I might suggest not going full-on with signals etc. in your first few goes (unless you have a surfeit); you'll maximise your returns - in terms of silver/xp - when you're a bit more practiced. Of course, you only get the 'star' rewards once (free captains etc.), so repeat plays are only really about xp/silver in terms of rewards. Some missions/directives can be done in Ops; where this is the case, they can be a very efficient way of doing them. FWIW I usually run a more or less full load of signals in most Ops, but some people prefer to play, as it were, entirely neked.

You ideally want a fully upgraded ship, although most Ops can be got away with a lot of the time stock (Ops are often a quicker way of earning upgrade modules than Coop, due to the better rewards), although less so if you happen to get a team with stupid ship choices and/or less good players. I find Ops to be a useful way of getting T6 ships to T7, and T7s to T8 (the latter via Narai only). Sadly, the T8 Ops - and Dynamo - have been removed and WG are too busy with subs/things like the PR (!) to bring them back.

Some ships are better than others in the various Ops; to maximise results, pick something that you do best in, but that may not necessarily be the same ship as you do well with in Randoms. e.g. I'm pretty poor in BBs against real people, but they're usually my ship choice for Ops (along with anything else that has a heal). Some may disagree, but unless you're very good, the more robust a ship is the better for Ops, although you do get healing circles in a couple of the Ops (although they force you to sit in a set spot while you heal, which healing potions don't; healing circles do heal everything though, unlike potions, which don't heal all citadel damage of course).

Once you get the hang of them, and have knocked off the five star rewards, Ops mainly become a useful tool for either grinding silver ships or making lots of silver - for the latter, premiums are especially good (Ashitaka with the Kobayashi cammo is absurd in Narai, for example) if you have access to some.

Also, everything that @Panocek said!

• Cool 1

Players
5,038 posts

Operations are PvE, so I don't think of them as competitive. They give nice variety when you are grinding those mid tiers. The only problem is... you don't always win those. Your ship is locked out for.. 30 mins after an operation, so you can try again later and play some other ships in the mean time. :Smile_honoring:

[-TPF-]
Players
4,016 posts
16,552 battles
51 minutes ago, Purnylla said:

For best results, yes. Pick a ship you like and play as well as possible, and fully upgrade it.

Operations are like scripted co-op games; you're playing against bots, certain things will happen at certain times, there are objectives for you to meet (displayed in game). They are popular ways of grinding ships, resources, and improving captains so expect to find some players who will be very forward and aggressive.  On a first run through, just follow the team, target what they do, don't be too conservative and try not to die too early.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,818 posts
14,070 battles
10 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Your ship is locked out for.. 30 mins after an operation

This.

It's helpful to have multiple ships suitable for Ops for this reason - paying the silver to unlock your ship for another run-through rather defeats one of the objects of Ops i.e. earning silver.

• Cool 1

Players
5,038 posts
23 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

For best results, yes. Pick a ship you like and play as well as possible, and fully upgrade it.

Operations are like scripted co-op games; you're playing against bots, certain things will happen at certain times, there are objectives for you to meet (displayed in game). They are popular ways of grinding ships, resources, and improving captains so expect to find some players who will be very forward and aggressive.  On a first run through, just follow the team, target what they do, don't be too conservative and try not to die too early.

They are, in fact, worlds better than Coop which is why I would like to see many many more operations for ships of different tiers, including those below tier V.

• Cool 1

Players
2,924 posts

It is a good stopgap to ask for instructions at the start of the operation (if you have no other means read or hear the instructions), I usually point out the phases when playing them (get reported for it but I'm kinda used to it by now) or respond to requests for guidance. If you know what to do, you can short of push the team towards objectives but there are some that need good timing and this could lead to fails. You need 5 stars to get the full benefits so it is a good idea to play them a few times until you get the hang of what is going on. I personally like them and these days there are one of the most satisfying plays although a bit boring after a while.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this