You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Thracen

What the PR PR fiasco cost wargaming?

302 comments in this topic

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,937 posts
5,356 battles

Tbh only time will tell, way too early to say how much this will cost them in the long run on only day two..

• Cool 2

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,937 posts
5,356 battles
Just now, Bear_Necessities said:

Ohhhh best bit, Alaska is better and cheaper...

I can do better. The Azuma is better and cheaper.

• Cool 4

[KAKE]
Players
2,649 posts
6,346 battles

Good question, I've been wondering a bit about this myself.

I mean, I'm one of those semi-enthusiastic players with a fairly decent disposable income (as my LEGO habit probably reveals), and I'd have been quite willing to throw a few thousand doubloons and then play something that's similar in scale to the DoY/PEF grinds to get her. Heck, I might even (shock, horror) have considered buying the Gorizia.

But then I saw the cost for the boosters and the directives and went:

I genuinely wonder, will the handful of whales who throw 50k doubloons at WG to get the PR make up for the lost income from the (presumably larger group of) more ordinary players who would have spent a more moderate sum but then realized that the event will, effectively, give them nothing?

Heck, I can't see how WG can even expect to recoup their development cost. It's simply so expensive to participate in this event if you're going to have any chance of getting even half decent rewards that, basically, all the work that's gone into this event seems completely wasted. The vast majority of players are never going to get anything except frustration out of this event.

• Cool 18

[DC-DK]
Players
3,037 posts
31,673 battles

They could at least have shown some respect of their paying customers instead of this.. Wondering how many bought doubloon boosters in good faith without realising they might loose the doubloons used??

@Sub_Octavian Do you have spreadsheets for how many customers you lose by this stunt???

• Cool 14
  • Funny 6
  • Angry 1

[NSVE]
[NSVE]
Players
412 posts
12,498 battles

I've logged a refund request with paypal, I'm done spending money on a company that is not interested in customer satisfaction.

• Cool 9

[L4GG]
Players
3,264 posts
10,870 battles
1 hour ago, Bear_Necessities said:

WG refuse to learn from their now NUMEROUS Public Relation disasters. Which are now significant. Across not only Warships, but Tanks. 

They refuse use to listen to CC’s. They DON’T contact CC’s who make content for the player base and let them know that say..... the information given might not be as accurate as they portrayed it. 

They don’t listen to the player base until it’s WAY to late.

They have 0 communication skills when it comes to replying to the player base. Just have a look at some of the posts from @Sub_Octavian. That is a lesson in how NOT to speak to the player base.

They threw poor @MrConway into a live stream post patch to take all the heat. A patch that was so bugged filled it caused multiple server problems and crashes.

They can’t even apologise with ANY decent reasoning. 

They launch a massively impossible task at the busiest time of the year in EU and NA for its players. Then act either surprised or angry when the player base point out what a monumental cluster :etc_swear: it is. Then say, that’s it’s not for the player base. But aimed at the PAYER base, for 1% of its player base. 1%.

Let that sink in.

They created a ship and task set up that was never meant to be achievable by 99% of the player base.

What kind of business is that? Where is the logic? Why? What was the point?

WG. Enjoy you’re consequences. They will be many and impactful.

Ohhhh best bit, Alaska is better and cheaper...

0FFD4F98-570E-434E-9C33-FC1443234BAE.gif.9ed71b49fe7f41ed0cd426abe930c478.gif

What did you expect?

First of all, CCs are one way street, none of them work for WG, they are tolerated because they advertise WG content and that's about it. CCs don't possess any power or weight in the decision making process. They are just pure cheap outsourcing assets, and they can be the last to know.

- German dds

- GZ

- Now this

And certainly I forgot some others examples

SubOctavian and @MrConway and people like them are the boots on the field to calm down the troops, and they can't apologise because they can't.

And I think that you are wrong, or at least, I don't see things that way

this all event is not aimed for the 1%, is aimed to all of us.

first

they put the expectations high with the CCs videos and with Dasha Perova video (WG own video) about a free ship and a dockyard.

second

they make completely absurd and hilarious directives, that are impossible to accomplish

Third

the free ship it's obtainable for 200 + euros

fourth

They will sell a bunch of Puerto Ricos by the thousands (maybe the 1% that you speak of)

if they sell 200 units it's +- 40 k euros  in Europe alone, and they have more regions

Fifth

Operation Christmas a huge success for them

Meanwhile they release an apology explanation saying the PR event is only for the hardcore players and Gorizia is for all of us.

Can you back me up on this @Jethro_Grey?

Just before, in Halloween operations there were an issue with the ships and slots, they tried pushing a bit but people complained and WG "backtracked" with the decision  by letting the slots in the players port after the event.

After all who bought the slots for the new ships had already paid for them

So, they must have profited big with 2019 Halloween

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

Players
3,428 posts
14,187 battles
59 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

And I think that you are wrong, or at least, I don't see things that way

this all event is not aimed for the 1%, is aimed to all of us.

@Sub_Octavian says otherwise...

1010625480_suboctopppsie.thumb.png.74419be63935ab6bc8dcb99f369d410f.png

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,806 posts
17,126 battles

Sounds a bit strange to design and make an event that is only aimed at 1% of the player base. I wonder what their return on investment will be on this one considering somebody had to make and promote the event.

What they already achieved is devastating customer feedback by the "left-out" 99% of the player base and they have possibly/potentially also created some legal issues because many of the doubloons spend on expanding the dockyard may be lost without effect.

• Cool 9

[L4GG]
Players
3,264 posts
10,870 battles
41 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Octavian says otherwise...

thank you. was about that I was talking about, the explanation.

yes, they say a lot of things, like it's easier or as easy than the PEV campaign. :Smile_teethhappy:

In a way this guys have a difficult job sometimes, they have to be align with the company and with it's policies.

The heads of the company make this crazy [edited]decisions, and drop these guys into the confusion they created.

- Go out there and deal with that angry mob.

Surely, some WG employees must have diplomatic relations backgrounds.

- Where did you served? Afganistan? Iraq? Germany in the cold war?

- No, I served in WG during the GZ crisis, PR crisis...

-

• Cool 2
  • Funny 5

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,438 posts
17,527 battles

I've been running Premium-time for at least the last three years but I've decided that when it runs out in about 70 days, I'm not getting more. I was ready to put some money on the game this Xmas but that's out of the question now.

But I've also had some thoughts about what the game has "given" me in the last year and what the future has to offer and it looks like this.

CV rework: Zero value for me. (Don't play CVs.)

Reseach Bureau: Zero value for me. (Don't want to "replay" the entire game again.)

Submarines: Zero value for me. (I believe they don't fit the game and will make it worse/less fun.)

Puerto Rico: Zero value for me. (Don't have time/energy to do the grind or the money to bypass it.)

And it's this, seeing event after event enter the game with no value whatsoever for me, that made me realize that, as far as I'm concerned, this game hasn't evolved or added any new content in the last year and the future looks bleak as well.

In short: I've put time and money into this game for the last four years but I don't see the point in doing that anymore. Unless WG does something noteworthy with the game then I see no future in it for me.

• Cool 20

[SM0KE]
Players
5,793 posts
14,064 battles
2 hours ago, Thracen said:

I think it is reasonable to assume even if they did really value the satisfaction and good will of their players they no longer have the ability to communicate well enough to achieve it.

Communication has always been an issue for WG; I think some of it may be differences between markets (perhaps being rude is more acceptable in Easter Europe/Russia than it is in Western Europe/NA?), and some of it may be to do with language capabilities - one of the pitfalls of using second languages can be that nuance/courtesy can be lost/missed.

This is the difference between "give me a glass of water" and "please may I have a glass of water?".

Some of their people are pretty good (the 'regulars' we usually see on this forum), and some are less so; as I've said elsewhere, a good start would be to only allow those that can communicate effectively with the EU market to do so. WG also need people who know how to write copy that, while still being interesting/exciting, is also - as much as possible - loophole/misunderstanding free (e.g. the recurring problems with the Black Friday ship missions).

This Xmas' event is (IMO) pretty good, objectively speaking; the crucial problem is that poor comms made a pig's ear of everyone's expectations...

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,806 posts
17,126 battles
3 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

This Xmas' event is (IMO) pretty good, objectively speaking; the crucial problem is that poor comms made a pig's ear of everyone's expectations...

Well the point is that all the small and good things that come with the patch (free crates, snowflakes and many more) are wholly and throroughly overshadowed by the one feature that ought to be their really big thing for this patch, aka the dockyard.

Where expectations unrealistically high? Probably. Did WG do a good job in communicating the event? No, certainly not. Will they ever learn from their mistakes? Nobody knows.

But to be honest I don't care much and so should you (speaking to all of you). The only advise I can give is to fully ignore the dockyard / PR and enjoy the rest of the goodies WG is indeed providing for free.

So what did it cost WG? Unknown, however I can image that creating content that the majority of the playerbase is, can and will not be interested in at all can't be healthy for any game.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
134 posts
6,865 battles

I spend 24K on 3 boosters like an idiot, now I find out i still have to grind 3 directives or all 24K are lost down the drain. WTF!?! I would very much like a refund please!!!!!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Beta Tester
5,381 posts
2,939 battles
3 hours ago, Bear_Necessities said:

WG refuse to learn from their now NUMEROUS Public Relation disasters.

[...]

WG. Enjoy you’re consequences. They will be many and impactful.

See, the problem is there. People are going on about how Wg "lost their trust". Because they still had some apparently. WG has had countless catastrophic events such as this one, and when playing the victim doesn't work, they promise to make it better in the future.

But they don't. Why would they ? Players are still there, after the bkxdgillion times, lulled to pay by false promises. Until the playerbase realizes that, WG has no reason to learn anything. There will be no consequences for them, other than 5 random guys claiming "WG won't get my money anymore" and forgetting it at the next premium release.

As painful the truth may be, those who don't appear to learn anything from said events are the players.

• Cool 7
  • Angry 1

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,063 posts
10,875 battles

WG have definitely gone for the money this holiday season.  This is a fiasco in respect of the Puerto Rico but for the first time ever there are really desirable tanks in WoT only available in loot crates.  You can buy loot grates by the half-dozen dozen with no guarantee you'll ever get the tanks.

I'll buy loot crates on WoT for the "festive atmosphere," and four female crew, but after I grind the steel and most of the coal from my ship snowflakes I'll not be spending much time in WoWS this winterval. 

[L4GG]
Players
3,264 posts
10,870 battles
8 minutes ago, Hanse77SWE said:

I've been running Premium-time for at least the last three years but I've decided that when it runs out in about 70 days, I'm not getting more. I was ready to put some money on the game this Xmas but that's out of the question now.

But I've also had some thoughts about what the game has "given" me in the last year and what the future has to offer and it looks like this.

CV rework: Zero value for me. (Don't play CVs.)

Reseach Bureau: Zero value for me. (Don't want to "replay" the entire game again.)

Submarines: Zero value for me. (I believe they don't fit the game and will make it worse/less fun.)

Puerto Rico: Zero value for me. (Don't have time/energy to do the grind or the money to bypass it.)

And it's this, seeing event after event enter the game with no value whatsoever for me, that made me realize that, as far as I'm concerned, this game hasn't evolved or added any new content in the last year and the future looks bleak as well.

In short: I've put time and money into this game for the last four years but I don't see the point in doing that anymore. Unless WG does something noteworthy with the game then I see no future in it for me.

you are confusing things if you ask me.

yes, the game was better a couple years ago.

the ships had places and roles much more defined than today. And were more memorable for that.

Today you have much more competition  

example.

before you had Akizuki, a great gunboat, now it's the smaller one in that line alone. The same thing goes for other classes.

I still like the ships I liked despite noticing some powercreep and for a time I thought like you in the first paragraph .

after all, I bought 360 days of premium and if I played half of that was too much, I made two needed breaks this year, so, I wasted a lot of money, a lot of premium days

I just came out of a grind, a 40 consecutive days grind (Halloween) where I piled up 1.5 million elite XP. i will not participate in another grind so soon, I'm back playing for fun/casual mode.

But I'm able to have some fun time to times with my favourite and older ships from sprints, to random, to ops, to co-op, and because I still find enjoyment in playing a handful of ships, next year (when the 70 days ends) I will buy more premium time, not 360 days, but perhaps, 180 or 90 or even 30 days, something smaller.

But premium time it's among the best things you can spend your money.

This all situation (PR thing) means nothing to me or very little because will not affect me either way. Especially in what I like in the game.

About subs I don't know yet but cvs didn't ruined my favourite tiers despite sucking a lot and ruined a lot of games.

Hey, if you are one of those guys with 200 or 300 + ships in port, try to rediscover a new one among the old ones that you have, it can be fun if you click with that said ship, it can renew your moral / P.O.V

[SHAFT]
Players
1,097 posts
23,544 battles
1 hour ago, GuderianDK said:

I spend 24K on 3 boosters like an idiot, now I find out i still have to grind 3 directives or all 24K are lost down the drain. WTF!?! I would very much like a refund please!!!!!

Well at least you don't have to do all of them, don't you think that's good?

• Funny 2

Players
7,144 posts
245 battles
1 hour ago, LastButterfly said:

See, the problem is there. People are going on about how Wg "lost their trust". Because they still had some apparently. WG has had countless catastrophic events such as this one, and when playing the victim doesn't work, they promise to make it better in the future.

But they don't. Why would they ? Players are still there, after the bkxdgillion times, lulled to pay by false promises. Until the playerbase realizes that, WG has no reason to learn anything. There will be no consequences for them, other than 5 random guys claiming "WG won't get my money anymore" and forgetting it at the next premium release.

As painful the truth may be, those who don't appear to learn anything from said events are the players.

I have its why i havent spent 0 money on this game and havent spent any money on wurld of danks since 2017-2018 essentially even stopped playing the game as well.

Mind you uni work doesn't exactly help either (found a really easy way to replace the sky for our shot which i've been stressing over for the past 2 days lol in after effects) when it comes to participating in this event (can't even do the runescape christmas even :/)

But yeah some peeps sometimes say they won't spend moneh then do so after 1-2 months. Not saying peeps won't however as i managed to do it despite being addicted to world of tanks for some time.

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,502 battles

In the UK, gambling companies can be forced to cut you off if you ask them too. With this sort of manipulative and predatory behaviour with a reach that follows me around on my phone when I'm not at home, I'm seriously considering asking wargaming to ban all future purchases from my account. I would have done so already if I didn't think they would screw it up and delete the whole thing.

• Cool 1