Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
invicta2012

Gorizia. Why?

52 comments in this topic

[-TPF-]
Players
4,020 posts
16,590 battles

So. As well as getting a low return from the Santa Crates (as expected) I also bought the Gorizia. 

I'm not cross - it's a recoupable expense from the NY events (and yes, I have done the maths) - but I really don't understand the why part of this ship.

It's Zara. Without torpedoes, which makes it even worse against battleships than her sister. The guns aren't much better, it has slightly better AA and secondaries. And that's it. It's an identi-ship.

Why is this a Premium ship, or an event prize? Why did they even bother to make it? 

Genova was entertainingly rubbish. This isn't.

There are perfectly decent (albeit unpopular) Italian Tier VII/VIIIs already. If I'd needed to buy Abruzzi or Roma  to do this grind, or they had been the consolation prize, then that would have been OK. Do WG think everyone would have been put off,  any more than they are going to be by this ship?

Is there some close range uber-brawl Tier VII situation where I'm going to think "wow, I'm glad I had hydro", because so far all I'm getting are Tier IX maps, where I think "wow, I wish I'd brought something else".

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[CHAR]
Players
129 posts
2,217 battles

Can't make a "premium" ship that everyone can earn viable or interesting now, can we. Then we would have fewer viable/interesting ships to sell for money.

• Cool 1

Players
57 posts
6,921 battles

The ship only exists as a way to not just gate many of the missions in the first 3 Directives ( you know the ones that have a reward of the Gorizia), but also a set of 4 combat missions.

• Cool 2

Players
1,650 posts
7,511 battles

It's a WG tradition to give out grindable below average premium ships around Chritsmas. You can do the missions with it to unlock all tier6 researchable ships introduced this year, that's the point of getting it.

[BIF]
Players
333 posts
4,989 battles

New premium with the smallest amount of invested effort as possible. They knew she gonna get sold, even if its a copy-paste, because of the missions require her. Thats my best guess.

• Cool 2

Players
2,779 posts
17,292 battles
19 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Is there some close range uber-brawl Tier VII situation where I'm going to think "wow, I'm glad I had hydro"

Doesn't it have 6km hydro (114s) full speed smoke (50s) and a spotter??

I'm sure you can dominated caps at any tier with those consumables. Don't brawl, just spot and blap any DD/cruiser that you can without getting deleted. A fixed Belfast/Perth?

Players
4,504 posts
7,604 battles

Flamu makes an interesting point in the PR :etc_swear:show video, it's there to try and trap players into the "sunk cost fallacy", which is to say that having spent a fair amount of time getting to that point, they might be more willing to spend cash to avoid an otherwise impossible grind to avoid losing their "investment".

Personally I think it's better described as a form of second order price discrimination but what do I know?

• Cool 2

[-G0M-]
Beta Tester
294 posts
12,550 battles

Well, I've found her to be entertaining, she seems far more capable than the Zara, she seems to turn far quicker and the guns seem more reliable, almost like she has improved pen angles on the SAP, just saying + the 6km hydro is a killer for DD's in smoke, have been feasting on them as they smoke up thinking they are safe, right up until they get a face full of SAP.

TB.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,020 posts
16,590 battles
2 hours ago, creamgravy said:

I'm sure you can dominated caps at any tier with those consumables. Don't brawl, just spot and blap any DD/cruiser that you can without getting deleted. A fixed Belfast/Perth?

It's an interesting possibility, but at the moment the caps I'm looking at are full of (newly buffed) Tier X German battleships, not DD's .... you don't want to be hydro range of those.

2 hours ago, Yedwy said:

Also Sansonetti on it after you first blap a dd... 

I have Sansonetti in it.... not much better than Zara on that score.

[JRM]
Players
6,746 posts

Well when gets the range buff then...

As for German T10 BBs - isnt Gorizia T7?

[-TPF-]
Players
4,020 posts
16,590 battles
27 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

As for German T10 BBs - isnt Gorizia T7?

It is. So I must mean FDG, mustn't I? The point remains, though.

This is a ship given the tools for close in fighting of small ships but without either torpedoes or DPM to challenge anything big and scary which comes its way. And while that sounds like an interesting idea playstyle, it's not so great in practice. 

[FISHR]
Players
128 posts
7,234 battles
On 12/12/2019 at 9:58 PM, Phayk said:

Can't make a "premium" ship that everyone can earn viable or interesting now, can we. Then we would have fewer viable/interesting ships to sell for money.

...of which there are precious few, anyway...

I've been buying the 20x mega gift containers (good value for money, in my opinion), but the ships you get are not the Missouris or Belfasts. You get Krazny Krym and garbage like that, instead....

Mostly...

[SM0KE]
Players
5,835 posts
14,080 battles
On 12/12/2019 at 3:51 PM, invicta2012 said:

Why did they even bother to make it?

I suppose the combination of (German?) hydro and smoke that you can use at full-tilt, plus SAP is fairly unusual, if you like that kind of thing...?

Having given mine a few run-outs, I think I'm never going to use it against real people, but it's vaguely fun in coop.

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles
On 12/12/2019 at 10:22 PM, creamgravy said:

Right. You are one big citadel with 8 guns and 15 sec reload. 

And you have 8 km or more detection after firing from smoke. 

You dominate crap. 

• Cool 2

[L4GG]
Players
3,280 posts
10,875 battles
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:21 PM, Yedwy said:

Well with hydro and sap I guess the idea is that of a dd hunter...

How's the reload? around 20s?

if so

There are better silver  dd hunters out there

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,905 posts
12,165 battles

Hey at least its better then Duke of York or Prinz Eithel Friedrich, on par with Graf Spee. Still wouldnt touch these ships with a stick but at least you cant get them from boxes next year.

I couldnt even bear to finish the Gorizia only missions, its so bad.

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,020 posts
16,590 battles
16 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I suppose the combination of (German?) hydro and smoke that you can use at full-tilt, plus SAP is fairly unusual, if you like that kind of thing...?

Having played it a lot now I can say that the hydro/smoke combination has its moments, but that it's still too close to Zara to be in the shop for £25. I like it, but I hope they take it out of circulation once the Puerto Rico event is done... it's not worthwhile as a Premium purchase on its own.

The other thing I would say is that Sansonetti makes these ships a whole lot more fun, and I hope we get a similar Italian captain in the Armory before long. 

• Cool 1

[L4GG]
Players
3,280 posts
10,875 battles
1 minute ago, kfa said:

Hey at least its better then Duke of York or Prinz Eithel Friedrich, on par with Graf Spee. Still wouldnt touch these ships with a stick but at least you cant get them from boxes next year.

Alright, alright, came on

I've got PEV and Bayern it's strait out better in everyway but in speed, but I do some running around here and there with PEV (yeap, it's all you gonna do with it)

And Graf Spee, at the moment it's my most wanted premium ship.

Regarding Gorizia.

you say Gorizia and I'm earing Pensacola.

All I read is SAP this, SAP that but what about AP?

[SHAFT]
Players
10,290 posts
9,091 battles
14 minutes ago, kfa said:

Hm, i think Gorizia is barely better than DOY

Id say

- PEF

- Graf Spee

- Gorizia

- DOY (because of the citadel nerf, otherwise Gorizia would be last)

What can Gorizia do, other Cruisers cant do better? I dont see anything.

PEF is very accurate. Graf Spee it small and tanky and has a heal - pretty unique on T6

DOY was rather unique because of its AP, but now its just crap with that armor scheme.

Gorizia... smoke + german hydro. Not even torps. Bad reload + 8 guns = low DPM.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
3,022 posts
11,809 battles
On 12/12/2019 at 8:51 PM, invicta2012 said:

Why is this a Premium ship, or an event prize? Why did they even bother to make it?

Because without being able to copy existng ships, call them something else and monetise them, WG's business model would suck, just like many of their other decisions of late.

Beta Tester
542 posts
3,394 battles

im gonna repeat myself from another thread.

Gorizia can be a fun ship to take out for a spin once in a while... but it wont have any meaningful impact on the match outcome no matter what you do in it.

its one of those ships whose success does not depend on how well you play, but instead it depends on how bad the opponents play.

the only redeeming quality of this ship that i can think of, is that it forces me to learn to aim better (because of the painfully long reloads).

Players
2,106 posts
9,536 battles

Gorizia was definitely designed to be a tool for completing directives easier in hopes many players will buy her sooner than later to have an advantage over those that will get her after completing the 3rd directive.

Cash first, complain later.

The ship was never designed to be good or fun and nobody will play her once this event finishes.

• Cool 3

Sign in to follow this