Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
wot_2016_gunner

Shipyards. A request to make the Dockyard a stable part of the game.

8 comments in this topic

Players
1,685 posts
3,293 battles

The insiparion for this request comes from @Chug (see here https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/127889-update-0811-new-year/?page=2) and it's about a possible way to make the Dockyard, or more precisely, seeing your ship being built as a stable part of the game for tech tree ships (I don't how to do it for the Premuim ships and the Coal and steel ships) and it can actually work too with the Research Bureau ships (while I'm still against the R.B. being a thing; i take it into consideration nontheless).

The general idea behind this concept is to make the ship building process not time gated (instead of how it is with Puerto Rico) while not altering the in-game economy in any way possible so that it can work for the regular tech tree ships.

This is an example of how it's going to work.(it works with every tier, exept with tier 1, which however you get for free as soon as the "new-line" gets released) 

Let's say that you have your Iowa fully upgraded (hull, range, propulsion; i'll talk later for an idea for the modules) and the next ship is of course the Montana and we can all agree on the fact that as soon as you finish upgrading your Iowa, you start grinding XP for the next ship just by playing.

This concept works so that while you grind XP for the next ship (in our example the Montana, which is 247.000 XP), you can see that ship being built in a dedicated menu or something and the more XP you grind, the more the ship get's built. Once you reach the ammount of XP required for the said ship (in our case 247.000, but it could even be from the Myogi to the Kongo, mine is just an example) the ship would be basically finished, and to get it you'll need to use the XP that you grinded and credits, and this is exactly what you do today; you could also use FreeXP to get it instanlty (or to compensate with the regular XP).

Just as the grind is right now, it won't be time-gated, so you can use FreeXP and research a ship instantly (where you would see all the construction phases at once) or you can take your time and grind the ship slowly, just as you do today. I think it's a really cool idea that deserves to be at least tested in a test server (considering that it doesn't change anything about the game as it is today), plus, it will be really cool to look at and i think that it will be really cool to actually see your progess while you grind. 

For the  Modules (i.e. the hulls, range upgrades and propulsion (for some ships even guns)) they could do it so that when you research and buy the upgrade, you'll see an animation where, for example, with the range upgrade, they change the range finders (it can even be the same model, just one get's take out and the new one is put in place) or with the hull upgrade, you might see the AA being placed and the armour being changed, and so on.

You might take this a an occasion to re-model ship lines (belive me, i know it takes ages to do this kind of things), plus i know that it might be a bit resource heavy (at least in disk space), but i think it's worth it.

I think it's a cool idea that has potential, let me know what you think.

Bye

[JRM]
Players
6,719 posts

Emmm - no...

Might be fun for some future similar releases (if there will even be any similar releasesnin the future) but as a general feature, no... To resource heavy and cumbersome as you often dont grind one ship but many and having xp or evrn unlocking a silver ship doesnt give you the ship, you need to buynut to get it...

Players
1,001 posts
14,454 battles

I think the Dockyard is a great addition to the game, and it's too good to be dismissed forever by negativity surrounding the PR grind.

PR builds passively in the background even when you're not logged in.

But one of the things WG and other games companies crave is continual engagement.

Ergo rather than add build points towards construction when logged off simply have a ship that can build only when you are logged in. No timegating needed, or at least no short-term timegating until the dock is needed for another ship. No boosters, just continuous build points when logged in.

As a mechanism it could be used to replace discount coupons in the armory: rather than have a 25% discount for immediate acquisition, instead pay 50% upfront and acquire the ship after x amount of hours depending on the tier (with abbreviated animated phases to spare the workload).

• Cool 1

[OCTO]
Players
1,199 posts
26,829 battles

I agree that the dockyard should stay.

An idea that comes to mind is to use the dockyard process/mechanics for resource ships. For example, even if you don't have enough coal/steel for a ship - you can commit to building such a ship.

PROs:

- As you start grinding  ahem, building a resource ship, you can get a small boost.  Because you have committed to using resources to build a specific ship

- Eye candy graphics that encourage you to do sanity-crushing and soul-devouring Ranked...

CONs:

-You have to choose a resource ship upfront. Maybe you can cancel build, but with (say) 30% loss of resources

Beta Tester
725 posts
12,336 battles

There for sure is potential in this idea but I would see it differently.

For silver ships, you pay the yard in advance (not for whole ship but for each stage) when you grind they build it up. This way when you are finished with the grind and you payed for each stage you get the ship. Lets say you will get a port slot upon completion and you can have only one ship beign build at any given time. People have issues with having 20mln to buy something, but if they will have to pay 10k daily it would not be a problem.

It should be not only eye candy but something to push you into a bit harder grind.

Players
32 posts
10,527 battles
7 hours ago, DanSilverwing said:

Ergo rather than add build points towards construction when logged off simply have a ship that can build only when you are logged in. No timegating needed, or at least no short-term timegating until the dock is needed for another ship. No boosters, just continuous build points when logged in.

That is the opposite of engagement, leaving the game running in the background overnight for a grind is horrible.
Now I can probably guess your next proposition of requiring you to play a game every x minutes. You just made demand for bots.

No, in my opinion the dockyard is great, makes people interested in how these ships were built in the first place, but other than special events it has no real use in the game's economy.

Too slow for tech ship building, building premium ships in it would discourage people from ever buying premiums.

• Cool 1

Players
145 posts
6,280 battles

i would see a sense if there would be long campaign for this. i dont like anything time gated as it put stress on me and why i play this game is to forget about stress. timegating is full of stress, so it`s goes against the main reason why i play the game. So hard and long campaign would be nice, and if there are some animations to it, why the hell not?

building silver ships would just bring more animations which are time consuming and brings no benefit.

Players
1,809 posts
15,364 battles

Keep in mind that there's a lot of artwork involved in making a single ship "buildable" in a dockyard. And there's how many ships in total? Even after the insane amount of work hours invested to do what is essentially eye candy with no gameplay value (while cool, people will get bored of it eventually), this would basically triple the amount of artwork required when they introduce every single ship.

So, while I love the idea of the dockyard, I don't think it would work for every ship, but what might work is to make it for reward ships. They could even let us combine the types of resources needed. So instead of building your actual dockyard, you'd be investing coal, fxp, and steel in order to advance the ship building to the next stage. For example, you use coal to lay out the keel of your thunderer, then fxp to install transverse bulkheads, etc etc..

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this