Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
UncappingBadger

DD/ BB Gameplay - Tips?

4 comments in this topic

Players
45 posts

In the interests of improving my DD gameplay i'm after some tips, if you please.

Attached is a typical DD game for me. Plenty of spotting, plenty of torpedos, and some gunnery.

Came mid-top on the scoreboard so overall not a bad game, at least in my opinion.. I was wondering however if I was too passive or if I had the right balance. The team won and I got 180k worth of spotting damage, plus 14 spotting ribbons so it's not like I sat around and did nothing. Bearing in mind it was on Ocean too so its possible I was subconsciously overly cautious because of the lack of available cover. 

20191210_233655_PASD013-Gearing-1945_00_CO_ocean.wowsreplay

Also i've attached a BB game, same thing was more aggressive but still playing very cautiously. So some feedback on this one would be great too. Honestly, the HE spam has had a direct impact on how I play. I used to love getting into a good scrap, even if it wasn't the "right" move to make, but now i'm very much a mid field kind of player. I don't push unless others push first simply because you don't know where the HE spam is going to come from.

20191210_222454_PASB518-Massachusetts_16_OC_bees_to_honey.wowsreplay

[SHAFT]
Players
10,318 posts
9,108 battles

You kinda chose the wrong day for this, as patch hits tomorrow, and then we cant watch the replays anymore :Smile_teethhappy:

Just watched the BB replay in fast forward.

Imo being cautious first was the right move. Your team went mostly to the other flank, and you had more enemies on your side. So just yoloing wouldnt have helped at all.

Spoiler

shot-19_12.11_02_04.48-0740.thumb.jpg.3433c43226de1dc2f1f8c74463d04c17.jpg

Im not sure, i might have missed that, but did you DCP 1 fire at the start? That was really bad, as you had your heal already up and you werent safe from getting farmed more. And you got 2 permafires in return.

Better get out of your detection range first, then DCP (just remember your normal detection, because if you burn, your detection is worse, so you dont need to wait till you are unspotted WITH fires burning)

That cost you all your heals basicly.

Spoiler

shot-19_12.11_02_09.00-0202.thumb.jpg.0c73fe6e4b384d43c7d852bf84243538.jpg

Going back here was a bad call imo. The game wasnt won at that point. The enemies played it badly. On the minimap, you can see them moving away from your flank. By going behind the island, you are falling behind further and with your limited range, you wont catch them either. Going into the islands would have been my choice here, you could have gotten broadside shots on the Vanguarn, possibly even the Cruisers.

And just prior to this, i think you could have stayed a little closer against the Bismarck in the first place.

Spoiler

shot-19_12_11_02_11.40-0015.thumb.jpg.0c59d8979d4f82c09a9de01c674eb8a2.jpg

Turning turrets for the CV, also a bad call imo. 3 vs the CV, your Atlanta was farming him already. Better focus the DD instead. Even if you have trouble hitting him, just try it. Overall, you dont lead enough, so trying might help you with aiming better. Sometimes you didnt take enough lead for BBs aswell.

So yeah, being cautious first was a good call, later on a bit too afraid/passive. And maybe some other minor stuff (as i said, i wasnt sure about the first DCP, maybe i missed the 2nd fire by speeding the replay up)

Players
45 posts
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

You kinda chose the wrong day for this, as patch hits tomorrow, and then we cant watch the replays anymore :Smile_teethhappy:

Just watched the BB replay in fast forward.

Imo being cautious first was the right move. Your team went mostly to the other flank, and you had more enemies on your side. So just yoloing wouldn't have helped at all.

I know being cautious was the right move, I was just concerned that at that particular point in the game I was being "too" cautious and not contributing as much as I should, even though I was firing on cool down. 

Im not sure, i might have missed that, but did you DCP 1 fire at the start? That was really bad, as you had your heal already up and you weren't safe from getting farmed more. And you got 2 permafires in return.

Better get out of your detection range first, then DCP (just remember your normal detection, because if you burn, your detection is worse, so you don't need to wait till you are unspotted WITH fires burning)

That cost you all your heals basically.

I'll have to watch the replay back but i'm 90% sure the Chappy set a double fire which I put out, and then got hit with another. Ultimately bad RNG I think, I was just unlucky to get another double fire straight after putting one out. Again, i'd have to watch the replay to be sure. 

1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

Going back here was a bad call imo. The game wasn't won at that point. The enemies played it badly. On the minimap, you can see them moving away from your flank. By going behind the island, you are falling behind further and with your limited range, you wont catch them either. Going into the islands would have been my choice here, you could have gotten broadside shots on the Vanguard, possibly even the Cruisers.

And just prior to this, i think you could have stayed a little closer against the Bismarck in the first place.

My concern about going through the islands at the time was the enemy DD wasn't spotted and a CV was in play. I know in that picture you provided the DD was last seen in the enemies spawn but i've always been told that BB's don't go into islands like that because of limited maneuverability it affords. If the DD was dead at that point, i probably would have cut through as you suggested. The only reason I ended up cutting through them in the end was because I had the Atlanta screening for me. In my view the Bismarck was isolated and any other time the enemy DD/CV (or both) would have focused the Bismark, killing him before I could assist leaving me isolated as a result. In my estimation the safety in numbers was a better idea.

Turning turrets for the CV, also a bad call imo. 3 vs the CV, your Atlanta was farming him already. Better focus the DD instead. Even if you have trouble hitting him, just try it. Overall, you don't lead enough, so trying might help you with aiming better. Sometimes you didn't take enough lead for BBs as well.

So yeah, being cautious first was a good call, later on a bit too afraid/passive. And maybe some other minor stuff (as i said, i wasn't sure about the first DCP, maybe i missed the 2nd fire by speeding the replay up)

Yeah, targeting the CV might have been a questionable move but I wanted him out of the game ASAP so we could proceed unmolested. You know what they say, if a CV wants you dead they generally find a way of doing it, and giving our Atlanta was splitting off and the KG5's AA is mediocre I wasn't comfortable in letting him get more unnecessary strikes off. At the range the Vanguard was at my guns were never going to hit him consistently, plus he was angled. As for the DD, your point has been taken.

Not taking enough lead is a big problem for me, especially on smaller and faster targets but i acknowledge it happens when shooting BB's too. I rely too much on the dynamic gunsight telling me how many seconds the target is away and then aiming based on that. Obviously if the target is going faster than 30kts it screws me up. It also screws me up if the target isn't actually going that fast at all because I suck at being able to judge there speed. In any event it's something i'm working on. 

I hope i was able to adequately describe my thinking for making certain decisions, in my view they were perfectly reasonable decisions to make and not necessarily bad ones, some like yourself may disagree. That's why I'm asking for feedback to ascertain if there is anything I can do to improve. Overall I don't think i'm playing badly and believe I pull my own weight in games. I just want to optimize my performance.  

Thank you for the constructive feedback. It's refreshing not to have some douche post and instantly try and shame me cause my stats are hidden with the generic "get gud" rhetoric that occurs with alarming frequency on these forums. 

Sign in to follow this