You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
iTchyfoot

Is Le Terrible/Le Fantasque going to be the best ship for the upcoming ranked sprint?

31 comments in this topic

[BOATY]
Players
215 posts
4,451 battles

howdy folks,

are those two French DDs going to be the best ships for the next ranked sprint? my reasoning is as follows -

• they can stealth torp (BBs and cruisers will not have a chance of spotting them, if played correctly and are vulnerable to their torpedoes)
  • 50+ knots with the speedboost (carriers will have a hard time to target them when using speedboost, you get spotted by rocket planes, you pop speedboost and you'll get to the carrier before it can kill you. torpedoes away and a couple of shells and CV is gone, you have nothing else to fear, noone is shooting at you)
  • DDs from other nations will not catch up with them. again, if played correctly they can outrun/outgun any other DDs

IMO Le Terrible/Le Fantasque have the best tools to deal with any other ship. IF played to their strengths. or am i just imagining things?

• Funny 3
  • Bad 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
12,353 posts
17,448 battles
3 minutes ago, iTchyfoot said:

carriers will have a hard time to target them when using speedboost

You're joking, right?

• Cool 4
  • Funny 9

[NWP]
Players
7,260 posts
7,928 battles
3 minutes ago, iTchyfoot said:

. IF played to their strengths. or am i just imagining things?

That would be a CV. Most likely Enterprise :Smile_trollface:

A CV missing you is a problem by the player - but if aimed properly, it will still hit you even if you go 50 kts. You have no AA and spotted far enough to get a rocket strike in.

BBs/Cruisers with Hydro or even Radar will bully you away. You can stealthtorp them, but you cant stop them from getting into the cap. And if you let them cap, you gotta move in to kill them or block the cap.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
12,353 posts
17,448 battles
Just now, Floofz said:

My question is can anything win against a full secondary GZ?

Pretty much every other CV?

• Cool 1

[BOATY]
Players
215 posts
4,451 battles
Just now, El2aZeR said:

You're joking, right?

no. disclaimer - what follows is from my experience in game -

almost every time i saw a high Tier French DD trying to kill a CV without support it (the french DD) was succesfull. i don't play them (CVs nor French DDs), so i'm not 100% sure, hence this topic.

[OSWEG]
Players
778 posts
5,257 battles
Just now, El2aZeR said:

Pretty much every other CV?

You so sure? GZ planes are faster and if you can catch the other CV with your ship youll nuke him down in no time. That or find a good spot to camp the cap and just defend with fighters.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
12,353 posts
17,448 battles
14 minutes ago, iTchyfoot said:

almost every time i saw a high Tier French DD trying to kill a CV without support it (the french DD) was succesfull.

Says a lot about the average CV playerbase tbh.

French DDs have no defense against CVs whatsoever. Given some basic competence the CV will come out on top even in a direct firefight.

14 minutes ago, Floofz said:

You so sure? GZ planes are faster and if you can catch the other CV with your ship youll nuke him down in no time. That or find a good spot to camp the cap and just defend with fighters.

GZ is crippled by only having 2 out of 3 squad types usable with any kind of reliability, neither of which has good reserves or hitting power. Her AA is actually terrible so she is inherently incapable of denying even a single attack wing strike which nullifies fighter usage.

In a direct fight pretty much any other CV barring Implacable should win, yes.

[BOATY]
Players
215 posts
4,451 battles
8 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

French DDs have no defense against CVs whatsoever...

well, that is one of the reasons why i think (thought?) French DDs will be best suited for the next ranked sprint. the maps will be smaller, so actually getting close to the CV will be easier/faster and IMO (although not 100% sure about this) you should survive long enough to be able to kill the CV. like i said, i don't play French DDs nor CVs and was just contemplating getting Le Terrible just for this occasion. before i do so i'd like to hear opinions of my betters. 

to the general public - what ships will you play? what are the best suited ships for this? 

Players
2,677 posts
12,657 battles
19 minutes ago, iTchyfoot said:

• 50+ knots with the speedboost (carriers will have a hard time to target them when using speedboost, you get spotted by rocket planes, you pop speedboost and you'll get to the carrier before it can kill you. torpedoes away and a couple of shells and CV is gone, you have nothing else to fear, noone is shooting at you.

Wrong. Just wait till an Enterprise rips you apart.

21 minutes ago, iTchyfoot said:

• DDs from other nations will not catch up with them. again, if played correctly they can outrun/outgun any other DDs.

Wrong. Let’s see how you fair against Lo-Yang, German and RN hydro DD’s which will rip you apart and can disengage with smoke and bait you. Or just hide until your reload booster is finished then out gun you anyway.

All in all. Bad choice for 1 v 1.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
12,353 posts
17,448 battles
2 minutes ago, iTchyfoot said:

like i said, i don't play French DDs nor CVs and was just contemplating getting Le Terrible just for this occasion. before i do so i'd like to hear opinions of my betters. 

According to people who have played on PTS DDs in general stand no chance whatsoever. The maps are too big and even if you do come into gun range, you lack the damage output to kill a CV.

Players
8,180 posts
9,714 battles
9 minutes ago, iTchyfoot said:

like i said, i don't play French DDs nor CVs and was just contemplating getting Le Terrible just for this occasion. before i do so i'd like to hear opinions of my betters

Then before throwing wallet at the screen, get yourself Le Fanta and see yourself if you would get along with their gameplay. Because while they can be fun and very thrilling, they are far from good in terms of "carrying". Even more so with CV around

[BOATY]
Players
215 posts
4,451 battles
9 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

...Let’s see how you fair against Lo-Yang, German and RN hydro DD’s which will rip you apart and can disengage with smoke and bait you. Or just hide until your reload booster is finished then out gun you anyway.

All in all. Bad choice for 1 v 1.

8 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

According to people who have played on PTS DDs in general stand no chance whatsoever. The maps are too big and even if you do come into gun range, you lack the damage output to kill a CV.

thanks a lot for your input, folks. it's something to think about. much appreciated.

4 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Then before throwing wallet at the screen, get yourself Le Fanta and see yourself if you would get along with their gameplay. Because while they can be fun, they are far from good in terms of "carrying". Even more so with CV around

i haven't started the French DD line yet. so no time. like i've mentioned, i'd like to hear the opinions of my betters before i do so (throw my wallet on the screen). any and all advice is/will be much appreciated. i'm just trying to figure out what ships to play..

Players
8,180 posts
9,714 battles
1 minute ago, iTchyfoot said:

thanks a lot for your input, folks. it's something to think about. much appreciated.

i haven't started the French DD line yet. so no time. like i've mentioned, i'd like to hear the opinions of my betters before i do so (throw my wallet on the screen). any and all advice is/will be much appreciated. i'm just trying to figure out what ships to play..

For this 1v1 thingy? CV of Enterprise or Shokaku variety. Or Richelieu/Massachusetts. Anything else will depend on enemy being speschul

[LADA]
Players
376 posts
6,679 battles

A CV will hold all the cards in this upcoming ranked circus...ahem.... sprint. 

If anything a BB with strong AA and a low citadel is your best bet - Alabama/North Carolina. Alabama also has agility and torp protection in it's favour. 

[FABER]
Players
492 posts
5,627 battles

On the PTS I won almost every match with a fully secondaries IFHE Bismarck with BFT, DE and that stupid Aquisition Mod.

Lost only once against Tirpitz (I failed a U turn and got 10-12k of AP, then lost the secondaries fight) and once against Enterprise, but hey, you can’t win against Enterprise :cap_haloween:

Players
8,180 posts
9,714 battles
Just now, Gvozdika said:

A CV will hold all the cards in this upcoming ranked circus...ahem.... sprint. 

If anything a BB with strong AA and a low citadel is your best bet - Alabama/North Carolina. Alabama also has agility and torp protection in it's favour. 

NC and SoDak class can be still cit'd from above. Richy is pretty much impossible to do so unless you land freak shot in main deck between turrets.

And no AA will stop air attacks of same tier CV. Heck. You will have hard time even inflicting noticeable plane casualties to "deplane" CV before she "dehitpoint" you

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
631 posts
11,486 battles

I have a clanmate who ranked out in 65 battles with 85% W/R using only Kleber this season.

I don't own Kleber yet, but if Fantasque/Terrible are as similar to it as I'm led to believe...

But the best/easiest ships to rank out in though? Hm. X to doubt. 

This guy is our best potato, so :Smile_trollface: 

EDIT:

*Shameless plug*

[H_FAN]
Players
2,323 posts
33,372 battles
36 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

French DDs have no defense against CVs whatsoever. Given some basic competence the CV will come out on top even in a direct firefight.

GZ is crippled by only having 2 out of 3 squad types usable with any kind of reliability, neither of which has good reserves or hitting power. Her AA is actually terrible so she is inherently incapable of denying even a single attack wing strike which nullifies fighter usage.

In a direct fight pretty much any other CV barring Implacable should win, yes.

Well to be fair I can not hope to win against you in a CV so it does not matter what I choose , My choice if I would play is the greatest chance to win against average players

[CZWSM]
Players
354 posts
17,161 battles
13 minutes ago, Gvozdika said:

... Massachusetts also :)

[SM0KE]
Players
3,730 posts
10,161 battles
1 hour ago, iTchyfoot said:

what ships will you play? what are the best suited ships for this?

The answer to the second part, as others have said, is probably CVs, and more specifically, Enterprise.

I suck with CVs though, the answer to the first part will be to start off trying with some sort of DD, probably Kidd, due to the heal (and ability to defend against planes, provided they aren't being driven by someone competent). A lot will depend on the actual frequency of CVs - lots of them will probably make DDs non-viable; fewer of them, the reverse.

Something like Atago might be worth a lash - heal, reasonable guns, and a (small) stealth torp window. The trouble with cruisers is that I often do especially poorly against BBs, and there will almost certainly be a lot of them about.

Even though I suck in BBs, if the CV population is high, I suspect I'll end up using something like MA/Tirpitz/Bismarck (probably the first two, as I have 19 point captains available for both).

I must say, I'm not entirely convinced by 1 v 1 if CVs are included though...

Players
646 posts
9,908 battles

I didn't meet any CVs on the PTS so I'm looking forward to meeting some.

PTS is not the real thing of course, because maps, capture point accumulation and point accumulations can be adjusted for Live. Domination mode was making it very important to move to the middle. I'm not sure what value kiting and stealth torping will have when there is only one other player on full health who knows which direction you're in (or can guess).

I only met one Fantasque player who tried the rush-in and nuke with two salvos, but it didn't work and I killed him before he could complete his turn to try a third. YMMV.

I lost fair and square to a Tirpitz. All I can say is that some ships will work for you most of the time but I doubt any will work all of the time. With Ranked structure being what it is you just want a match-up of classes that you can win most of the time.

Players
2,677 posts
12,657 battles
3 hours ago, iTchyfoot said:

They are a very fun line. Challenging and on the chaos of random can surprise sub par distracted CV’s. In a 1v1 where it’s solo focus. I would not pick them. And I say that as a fan and liking the French DD’s. But could I beat myself if I was playing the T8 French DD’s against myself in an Enterprise??

Sadly not a chance. That’s how I’ve looked at this.

Beta Tester
69 posts
9,013 battles
2 hours ago, Panocek said:

For this 1v1 thingy? CV of Enterprise or Shokaku variety. Or Richelieu/Massachusetts. Anything else will depend on enemy being speschul

How about full gun boat Kiev. Have play it alot and in order to lose 1vs1 with BB You really need to be "speschul".

Also 10 decent torps and heal makes you great yolo rusher.

Decent AA but still small chance against CV. Akizuki also should outgun you on 6-7km. 

Players
8,180 posts
9,714 battles
1 minute ago, rurkovsky said:

How about full gun boat Kiev. Have play it alot and in order to lose 1vs1 with BB You really need to be "speschul".

Also 10 decent torps and heal makes you great yolo rusher.

Decent AA but still small chance against CV. Akizuki also should outgun you on 6-7km. 

No AA in this game is "decent" in 1v1 against CV

• Cool 1