You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Verblonde

Pre-load screen (ships) - am I misunderstaning something?

13 comments in this topic

[SM0KE]
Players
5,791 posts
14,064 battles

Thinking about the game pre-load screen, where you see the makeup of the two teams, and can compare how opposing ships compare with yours in a number of general areas.

As I understand it, when the little circle icon is hollow, you're basically seeing 'stock' values, and once it's gone solid, you're seeing an accurate reflection of captain skills, upgrades etc. Is this correct?

If it is, it looks like a *lot* of players are running sub-optimal DD builds e.g. in a recent game in my Kitakaze, I was showing as having better concealment than a Kagero!

Is the pre-load screen wonky, or are lots of people in the game being daft when fitting out their ships?

WoWs Wiki Team, Supertester, Privateer
2,046 posts
12,461 battles
12 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Thinking about the game pre-load screen, where you see the makeup of the two teams, and can compare how opposing ships compare with yours in a number of general areas.

As I understand it, when the little circle icon is hollow, you're basically seeing 'stock' values, and once it's gone solid, you're seeing an accurate reflection of captain skills, upgrades etc. Is this correct?

If it is, it looks like a *lot* of players are running sub-optimal DD builds e.g. in a recent game in my Kitakaze, I was showing as having better concealment than a Kagero!

Is the pre-load screen wonky, or are lots of people in the game being daft when fitting out their ships?

As far as I know captain is not reflected and modules aren't, too - just upgrades. So you can e.g. identify whether a Gearing is running long-range or Fletcher-Torps but not if TA-Module is equipped etc.  

• Cool 2

Players
1,184 posts
18,980 battles

I suspect things would have changed since, but my experience with the pre-battle roster in RTS times was as follows: with hollow circle you only got the values for the equipped modules (hull, weaponry, engine) and when filled the modifying values for the upgrades were added. I'm not sure about captain skills, though.

As an example of that, I'll detail some of the "comparative stats" for RTS Ryujo as they were shown. Pay attention to the numbers, because the trick laid there: once having planes fully upgraded, one could choose between FC2 (Flight Control 2, attack-oriented, with a base aircraft value of 31) or FC3 (for air superiority, base aircraft value of 32). With all the proper upgrades for planes' survivability and the service time upgrade in slot 3 IIRC, those numbers went up to 36 and 37 respectively after filling the circle, but if you used the fighter combat upgrade instead then both went up to 37. I know about it because before the strafing-out mechanic was added I used the former upgrade (the fighters were just a bait for letting me snipe, and I became really proficient at that) and the latter afterwards. And here comes the funny thing: non-CV players were only shown the base values even with full circle, but CV players could see the extra points provided by the upgrades.

About players not using the "proper" upgrades, I once faced a Kagero who used target acquisition instead of concealment, and it was a nasty surprise when I charged his smoke and couldn't get the mutual proximity detection I was hoping for in order to finish him off. Maybe the one you encountered ran a similar build.

Salute.

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

I thought that filled circle meant: “has loaded in the battle”...

• Cool 4

Players
1,806 posts
15,362 battles
6 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

It does.

I mean, people are still daft when outfitting their ships, it's just that the hollow / full circle has nothing to do that. Greetings to all the SE BB's out there :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1

Players
1,184 posts
18,980 battles
6 hours ago, MrFingers said:

It means the loading process has ended on their side and the "to battle" button became active, not that they're already waiting in the battleground. It's good spending 5 seconds or so checking out who's who, and if you manage to load faster you could see both the base and the modified values of enemy ships you deem relevant.

Salute.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,795 posts
7,088 battles

That loading screen could use a bit of tweeking. 

One thing that would be informative to have, is that went you go over a ship in the lineup, foe and friend alike with the cursor, that it would show two versions of bars one stock, and bellow that one bar that would show how mutch the ship was spaded out. 

Any takers? 

:cap_yes:

• Cool 1

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
4 hours ago, Major_Damage225 said:

Any takers? 

:cap_yes:

Sounds like a recipe for a two tier game, those that load in quickly to the loading screen and can peruse the information, and those that don't so can't. Is that good for the game?

Beta Tester
2,795 posts
7,088 battles
25 minutes ago, 250swb said:

Sounds like a recipe for a two tier game, those that load in quickly to the loading screen and can peruse the information, and those that don't so can't. Is that good for the game?

Point noted, im sure there can be a way around this, when i get a idea i'll add it. :cap_tea:

Players
1,184 posts
18,980 battles
48 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

I have always wondered what that CV is on the co op loading screen, the one with an island superstructure on the port side of the flight deck, noting to do with the topic but a wondering nevertheless:Smile_veryhappy:

Probably Hiryu since it's the one that was in the game, being Akagi the other only carrier ever with the island on the port side.

Salute.

• Cool 1