Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Colonel_Vessery

Submarine testing: preparing for the third beta test session

16 comments in this topic

WG Staff
9 posts

It has been awhile since our second Submarine beta test. Following the previous test, we analyzed all of the feedback and determined the previous version of the gameplay was not ready for release and required significant improvements. Submarines were hard to master, and gameplay was not satisfying. We’ve made gameplay and mechanic changes based on the feedback, and today we’re beginning a SuperTest including these updates. The focus of this test will be to verify the following changes:

• Light cruisers received depth charges which was one of the key feedback points in the previous test;
  • The most large-scale submarine changes:
    • Submarines will now have only two depths: periscope depth and underwater level;
    • The depth is now decided by players: hold down F or C key to ascend or descend to the required depth;
    • Battery charge —a new mechanic for submarines. The oxygen mechanic was removed;
    • Hydrophone mechanic was updated.

We’re not ready to release more details on all of the change at this time: first, we want to make sure that this concept works and assess the stability of the client, after which, we’ll share more details on the changes.

Please note that the materials, mechanics and other elements of the beta described here may differ from the final version.

Stay tuned, the announcement of the third beta test session is coming soon!

RRK93pVGpDY.jpg

• Cool 8
  • Boring 1

[WTFNO]
Players
476 posts
8,196 battles

This is pointless.

You guys unfortunately showed that you already have no clue how to balance the 3 surface classes.

CV rework was - and still is - an incredible failure.

And yet you keep on trying to shoehorn subs in the game.

Lets face it: if you were able to pull that off, the game would not be in its current state.

• Cool 9
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 2

[BOWS]
Players
125 posts
1,144 battles
45 minutes ago, AmiralPotato said:

This is pointless.

You guys unfortunately showed that you already have no clue how to balance the 3 surface classes.

Lets face it: if you were able to pull that off, the game would not be in its current state.

there is a reason unlike cvs submarines won't be in the official game before getting used in its own game mode, although that game mode will probably only have ships that counter submarines and submarines, just like the cv rework

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[4_0_4]
Players
6,280 posts
12,775 battles
2 hours ago, AmiralPotato said:

This is pointless.

Uh, looks like you hit a weak spot:

gh.thumb.png.877446a5a6e67b4eb13d2eb944eb6fa0.png

Anyways, nice to see WG still wasting time on subs.

But since it is rather vaguely worded, we can't really comment on this.

• Cool 1

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
1,021 posts
10,935 battles

I wish I could have taken part in the first round of testing.

But, ASW on CLs sounds like a logical change and I am sure that full control of depth will feel much more comfortable.

• Cool 1

Players
66 posts
2,763 battles
3 hours ago, Colonel_Vessery said:
    • Battery charge —a new mechanic for submarines. The oxygen mechanic was removed;

Thank God, that was triggering me more that it rightly should.

• Cool 1

Players
8,180 posts
9,714 battles
7 hours ago, Colonel_Vessery said:

The depth is now decided by players: hold down F or C key to ascend or descend to the required depth;

Yay I guess.

Battery charge —a new mechanic for submarines. The oxygen mechanic was removed;

Not quite sure what gameplay impact that would have besides different logo. Snorkels could/were supposed to (in first iteration) restore oxygen as well:cap_hmm:

Submarines were hard to master, and gameplay was not satisfying

That might be bigger square peg than round hole you're trying to squeeze into I'm afraid, if its supposed to look even remotely authentic, remain balanced (not to be mistaken with spreadsheet balans) and fun.

[KAKE]
Players
2,111 posts
4,649 battles
20 hours ago, Colonel_Vessery said:

Submarines were hard to master, and gameplay was not satisfying.

And, as with CVs, you're highly unlikely to ever achieve a result that's both satisfying to play and to play against.

• Cool 3

[GURKA]
Players
4,067 posts
9,002 battles
1 hour ago, Uglesett said:

And, as with CVs, you're highly unlikely to ever achieve a result that's both satisfying to play and to play against.

Well, it's impossible to satisfy everyone, but as far I could see in videos, the submarines will be fun, but also nuking them with DDs or CLs (But I also consider, that the gameplay gets more improved - just like we see now with the new depth mechanic or CLs with DCs etc. )

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,111 posts
4,649 battles
5 hours ago, Pikkozoikum said:

but also nuking them with DDs or CLs

Sub hunting gameplay looks like a recipe for:

a) Getting spanked by surface ships by tunnel visioning on subs and getting too close.

or

b) Getting yelled at and reported by your team for not hunting subs (or if you do hunt subs, you'll get yelled at for not spotting and capping).

• Cool 3

[GURKA]
Players
4,067 posts
9,002 battles
On 12/9/2019 at 4:45 PM, Colonel_Vessery said:

Submarines will now have only two depths: periscope depth and underwater level;

If that means, no surface level for submarines, then I dislike that change. I want the submarine on the surface, but also I want be able to use the deck guns.

[GURKA]
Players
4,067 posts
9,002 battles
23 hours ago, Uglesett said:

Sub hunting gameplay looks like a recipe for:

a) Getting spanked by surface ships by tunnel visioning on subs and getting too close.

or

b) Getting yelled at and reported by your team for not hunting subs (or if you do hunt subs, you'll get yelled at for not spotting and capping).

Guess both can happen. But there will be also smart players, who know how to play. I mean such cases you have with every ship type. That has nothing to to with any ship, it has something to do with the attitude of a player

• Cool 1

[GLOBS]
Players
179 posts
12,753 battles

Been on the test last night and this afternoon . all went well last night and for the first hour or so today but then the MM just wouldn't give us a battle . 

after waiting and chatting for a little over 20 mins with my chat . I decided to go for dinner and come back in a little while . 

I hope the MM is feeling better by then . . 

[GLOBS]
Players
179 posts
12,753 battles

Well an hour later and . . nope it's worse . over 87 in que and in queuing  for 5 mins . . .  I hope it gets better after a reboot . . if that's what you do between tests ?

how long do we have on this Test ??? I hope to do some more tomorrow as today is unplayable due to the Que .

[TASH]
Players
12 posts
8,172 battles

subs in world of warships is a total fail in my mind, hope this will not be released like it is now.

The control and game mech is too complex and will not work.

1. when u lanuch a torp, why do I need to put a ping on the traget. ?

- when doing this I got to think about if some alied ship will be hit by my torp

- also need to follow the torp with my ping, if not it will miss the traget.....

So this I hope will be re-done.

Sign in to follow this