You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Priapo_Altieri

Italian aircraft carrier? Aquila!

20 comments in this topic

Players
68 posts

Dear forum users, playmates. I decided to open this topic to make a suggestion to Wargaming! Just like Germany, Italy also attempted to build a CV. That's right! It will seem incredible, yet it is the truth. His name was Aquila and was 90% completed before the project was interrupted.

Aquila (Eagle) was designed for the Royal Italian Navy during the Second World War, obtained with the conversion of the hull of the transatlantic Roma. (Not to be confused with the Littorio class battleship, launched afterwards).
It was the first Italian aircraft carrier with a flight deck to have been built, but unfortunately it never entered service. A fate analogous to the Graf Zeppelin of Kriegsmarine.

The Italian military leaders have always opposed the construction of aircraft carriers, but with the attack on the Taranto naval base on 12 November 1940, the effectiveness of the naval aviation embarked became evident and it was decided urgently to equip the Regia Marina with an aircraft carrier.

Among the possible candidates for transformation into an aircraft carrier, a transatlantic liner was chosen that needed a lot of modernization work. The project was developed by the colonel of Navy engineer branch Luigi Gagnotto and included a unit with two superimposed bridges, with the lower deck used for takeoff and the upper one for aircraft landing. Exactly as it happened for the japanese aircraft carrier Kaga and the english one Furious.

The ship would have been able to embark a total of about 54 airplanes, all with folding wings: 18 dive bombers Reggiane Re.2002, 18 fighters Reggiane Re.2001 and 18 torpedo bombers Savoia-Marchetti S.M.79.
The armament consisted mainly in the AA defense: eight cannons of 135 mm, twelve anti-aircraft guns of 65 mm and one hundred and thirty-two machine guns of 20 mm.

The engine was built using two apparatuses destined for light cruisers of the "Capitani Romani" class (available after the cancellation of the construction of four of the twelve planned units), equipping the Aquila with eight boilers and four turbines and recalibrating the power they allowed the ship to reach a maximum speed of 30 knots.

Although it was damaged in November 1942, while it was still under construction in Genoa, on the date of the armistice of 8 September 1943, the ship was already 90% completed, practically ready for testing and sea trials and had already carried out the first static tests of the engine apparatus, but did not have time to enter active duty.

On 9 September the ship fell into the hands of the Germans who took it over by entrusting it to the authorities of the Italian Social Republic, which attempted to complete it and put it into service in the Republican National Navy, but without success, due to the continuing Anglo-American bombardments, like that in the port of Genoa of 16 June 1944 in which the ship suffered serious damage. The Germans began a partial dismantling to recycle her iron and finally on 19 April 1945 the ship was attacked by underwater assault vehicles of the Italian cobelligerent forces, to prevent the Germans from using the big hull and sinking it to block the entry of the port of Genoa.

At the end of the war, on April 24th 1945, it was found again floating, half submerged and placed in the middle of the port in an extreme attempt to block the passage in the port. It was towed to La Spezia in 1949, awaiting a decision on its possible re-use for civil use, but once the difficulty and the high cost necessary to bring the ship back to its original state of steamer was found, its demolition was decided upon in 1952.

UPON DATA

Type Aircraft Carrier
Manufacturer Ansaldo - Genoa
Final destiny Dismantled in 1952
Displacement 23.500
Gross tonnage 27.800 tsl
Length 235,5 m
Width 30 m
Height 23 m
Draught 7,3 m
Flight deck length 211.6 - width 25.2 m
Propulsion 8 boilers, 4 turbines - Power: 151,000 HP
Speed 30 knots (56 km/h)
Complement 1420
Armament 8x1 135mm, 12x1 65mm, 132x2 20mm
Armour 70 mm vertical, 80 horizontal
Aircraft carried 54 (fighters, dive bombers, torpedo bombers)

What do you think about this mysterious metal creature? Would it have helped to improve the fate of the sea war for Italy, or would it have only slowed its inevitable fate?
I hope this topic gets a bit of your interest and can be an inspiration for the Wargaming developer team. Perhaps they will find it appealing to add this to the still small tech tree of the Italian navy on Warld of Warships!

Portaerei_Aquila.jpg

aquila01.jpg

0 0 0 0 0 0 b84d27a466602091d22d4113dbb37130 (1).png

Spoiler

800px-Flag_of_Italy.svg (1).png
I personally designed this flag as a starting point for dedicating a unique flag to this CV within the game. As you can see it is similar to the existing ones dedicated to the Italian navy, inside it exposes the coat of arms of La Spezia: in honor of the last military port in which the aircraft carrier Aquila has moored.

• Cool 12
  • Funny 1

Players
1,283 posts

It would make a nice premium, It would also be interesting if, like in WOWP, you could swap the flag / crew for a price, say Italian to German etc.

o7

• Cool 2

Players
135 posts
10,170 battles

You launched a great challenge to Wargaming. I hope they will not use again another Italian ship to reduce it to a malfunctioning and underestimated parody! Exactly as it happened to the battleship Roma, which in reality was powerful just like the German and English battleships.

54 minutes ago, Priapo_Altieri said:
UPON DATA

Type Aircraft Carrier
Manufacturer Ansaldo - Genoa
Final destiny Dismantled in 1952
Displacement 23.500
Gross tonnage 27.800 tsl
Length 235,5 m
Width 30 m
Height 23 m
Draught 7,3 m
Flight deck length 211.6 - width 25.2 m
Propulsion 8 boilers, 4 turbines - Power: 151,000 HP
Speed 30 knots (56 km/h)
Complement 1420
Armament 8x1 135mm, 12x1 65mm, 132x2 20mm
Armour 70 mm vertical, 80 horizontal
Aircraft carried 54 (fighters, dive bombers, torpedo bombers)

Portaerei_Aquila.jpg

0 0 0 0 0 0 b84d27a466602091d22d4113dbb37130 (1).png

PS: I want it!!!

• Cool 3

Players
68 posts
Alle 15/12/2019 alle 21:31, Mr_Wolfclaw ha scritto:

copy-n-paste GZ, paint her in Italian colours and match the other crap Italian ships..

These comments of unjustified contempt have no concrete purpose.  :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

[NUNC]
Players
332 posts

yes they do, "IF" they ever brought in a Italian CV, they don't have the "resources" to do it properly and balance the ship unless its Russian.

This is not an anti-Italian thing, they are poorly implemented, WW2 Italian ships were not so poor, just WG can't make them too good, the only good thing they did, was make them pleasing to the eye.

• Cool 2

[UAC]
Players
577 posts
1,856 battles
3 minutes ago, Mr_Wolfclaw said:

the only good thing they did, was make them pleasing to the eye.

I don't want to comment on other things but that I must say is true. Italians sure do know how to make beautiful ships.

Would like to see an Italian CV in the game, though I suppose it would only make company to my existing port queen Graf Zeppelin :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

[ALOUE]
Players
149 posts
3,978 battles

I like it :cap_like:, it would be a nice for the diversity in CV nations. Apart from france's Béarn or imaginary Joffre class we might not see many more CV's from other nations in the game. So yes this is a good suggestion.

• Cool 1

Players
68 posts

I wonder if Wargaming really listen to the suggestions posted in the forum, or if it is just a fairy tale they tell us to give us the illusion of somelike influencing their decisions. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
12,354 posts
17,450 battles

CV development is unprofitable, you're unlikely to see Aquila (or any other CV, really) anytime soon.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,855 posts
4,996 battles

Dont mind it.

Albeit I would first like a German CV Tree.

Right now however @El2aZeR is correct. There is little meaning for WG to Develop CVs right now. They are a Niche not attracting much People. And actually the amount of People Annoyed by them is 10 Times higher. Making them something that is not a Good Choice for WG to make Money from currently.

[BNI]
Beta Tester
292 posts
15,525 battles

Next year with X-Mass in the dockyard grind, like the Puorto Rico.  ;)

• Cool 1

Players
962 posts
13,025 battles

Give it SAP bombs and rockets, because DD's aren't hard countered enough as it is. Basically make it a flying Venezia, I'm a big fan of going all the way when being ridiculous.

Normally I'd find this an interesting suggestion, particularly from the naval history argument side, even though this CV wouldn't have really worked properly based on post-war investigations that concluded landing aircraft back on it would be nigh-impossible, but the issue is really that CV's are a highly problematic and prevalent class now, thanks to the questionable CV rework, and adding additional premium ones isn't going to help this. If they actually did something about spotting DD's and rocket planes just being easy DD farming mode, I'd find this to be an interesting ship to be added.

And yea, the idea of an italian CV is not incredible to anyone who loves naval history, we know about the Aquila ::Smile_great:

[ZIRVE]
Players
66 posts
4,773 battles

Another Aircraft carrier ? Game is already fulled with Premium CV's. I dont want more CV on my head.

I don't want to know which one has more powerful torps, which one has more powerful bombs or rockets. 

If she come, she wont be much more different than Graf Zeppelin and would be became another useless ship in collection.

Italian needs BB's and DD's. Nobody need another CV.

• Cool 2

Players
68 posts

Maybe with the arrival of the new class of submarines, the CV will be reconsidered as an excellent way for spotting and persecuting U-boots, through aircraft equipped with radar and depth bombs.
 : cap_yes:

But i agree about the development of more CV is not in the top 10 targets of Wargaming now.
 :cap_haloween:

• Cool 2

[ZIRVE]
Players
66 posts
4,773 battles

I guess u used the translate on my comment.

But, For note my friend, You have to write in English.

This forum language is English and according to the rules, Another language is forbidden.

It might removed or edit by a Moderator.

• Boring 1

Players
135 posts
10,170 battles
On 12/26/2019 at 3:04 PM, Priapo_Altieri said:

But i agree about the development of more CV is not in the top 10 targets of Wargaming now. :cap_haloween:

:cap_haloween::cap_haloween:

235458234972.jpg

• Funny 3
  • Angry 1