Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Gnolfus

Potential damage taken undervalued?

15 comments in this topic

[CATCH]
Players
78 posts
3,044 battles

So I just took up the russian BB line, had a grand total of 3 battles in the tier 3 ship.

It has 37k HP, and I've had 2 games where I took 1 mill+ potential damage through bow tanking the flank of the map where the enemy tag-along train came along. I think I had over half of them shooting at my bow for a couple of minutes in one of the games. Now 3 games is far from conclusive, but two victories and one close loss makes me believe that tying up a lot of their ships and firepower on one end of the map opens up the rest of it for my team, which should increase our chances of winning. However, when I do this I concentrate more on incoming fire and enemy positions and I am only using 50-66% of my guns, so the damage numbers aren't that great as if I'd play in a safer and more gunnery focused position as most of the other BBs do. Sadly it seems that the score/xp value of potential damage taken is way lower than damage done, which isn't very encouraging towards this playstyle. A better player can obviously do both, but you get my point.

Now if you look up my stats, you'll see that I am a new player and that they aren't so great. However I do try to learn and try to play to win, with very varying degrees of success.

• Cool 5

[JRM]
Players
6,743 posts

Its worthless xp/cash wise simple as that, want high base xp (xp and money) do lots if damage to dds and ships that are higher tier

• Cool 1

Players
10,094 posts
11,861 battles
3 hours ago, Yedwy said:

Its worthless xp/cash wise simple as that, want high base xp (xp and money) do lots if damage to dds and ships that are higher tier

This.

Playing "for the objective", be it spotting, "tanking", base capture have next to no economy rewards.

Simply because WG don't think their average customer can be arsed with such trivial things like team play compared to making boomy noises every 30 seconds.

And they are not wrong with that assessment, unfortunately.

• Cool 7

[JRM]
Players
6,743 posts
1 minute ago, Ferry_25 said:

Is there any value of potential dmg at all?

IDK prob some small value is added couse otherwise they wouldnt bother counting it but really minimal

Players
10,094 posts
11,861 battles

And then there is issue of concept of "tanking" damage in WoWs being kinda broken - as battleship you can't make enemy fire at you instead high(er) value target, not without getting chatbanned in return at least. You can't physically block incoming damage due to nature of warships and "moving forward to draw fire" is simply overextending with likely you going back to port. And if enemy still prefers to fire at you instead spotted DD or broadside cruiser... Its their fault, not your "good play".

If anything, best "tanks" in terms of drawing attention would be open water gunboats like Russian and French as well French cruisers, buzzing around at full speed and engine boost roaring.

• Cool 1

Players
138 posts
2,921 battles
41 minutes ago, Panocek said:

And then there is issue of concept of "tanking" damage in WoWs being kinda broken - as battleship you can't make enemy fire at you instead high(er) value target, not without getting chatbanned in return at least. You can't physically block incoming damage due to nature of warships and "moving forward to draw fire" is simply overextending with likely you going back to port. And if enemy still prefers to fire at you instead spotted DD or broadside cruiser... Its their fault, not your "good play".

If anything, best "tanks" in terms of drawing attention would be open water gunboats like Russian and French as well French cruisers, buzzing around at full speed and engine boost roaring.

Good bb players, something that most of us aren't, can draw enemy fire in certain situations to help team and disengage later. They have biggest hp+ healths for some reason. 

[JRM]
Players
6,743 posts

IDK I mostly "tank" passively (ie dont even think about it and what they fire at me they fire) sometimes I will say present a bait (ie broadside a bit) to draw fire from a high value target such as a low hp cruiser or a dd, and you know what it actally often works out, ofc you cant stay like that for long but say turning while spoted instead of dark and allowing them to damage you a bit can make it possible for the ally to go dark or behind cover, many times dds i pulled from the pan like that actually capped later on and won us the game in the end

Beta Tester
725 posts
12,359 battles

@Gnolfus as others pointed out it is impossible for game to evaluate if your tanking was because you have got marvelous position, or because you potatoed and enemy was special and did not hit you.

@Yedwy in most cases they will go down with guns blazing instead of going dark. Additionally if they can go dark then what is a purpose of tanking.

I personally believe that spotting torpedoes should be counted high as that can really help teammates. Anything else is mostly useless.

In OPS I sometimes take torps to protect convoy/NPC but that doese not count as tanking but can be vital to succesfull completion of task.

Players
2,305 posts
9 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

Potentially, there could be....:Smile_teethhappy:

[JRM]
Players
6,743 posts
2 hours ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

@Yedwy in most cases they will go down with guns blazing instead of going dark. Additionally if they can go dark then what is a purpose of tanking.

Because some ships that could take a bad shot at them and know they will likely not hit or do little damage if they hit will aim at you instead and that damage diff can be all that is needed to survive... But yea you are right about it being pointless in most cases

[-RDE-]
[-RDE-]
Players
120 posts
11,099 battles
13 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

Only if you are trying to complete one of the directives that specifies potential damage, otherwise pretty much no. Issue as far as reward potenial damage is how do you tell the difference between a ship tanking damage for the team and an idiot who yoloed off in a suicide charge?

Players
10,094 posts
11,861 battles
11 hours ago, roco4 said:

Good bb players, something that most of us aren't, can draw enemy fire in certain situations to help team and disengage later. They have biggest hp+ healths for some reason. 

They have biggest hp because hp is calculated off ship displacement and then adjusted if necessary:Smile_smile:

You can't "draw fire" from teammates without becoming only one target to fire at or shittalking your way through enemy ranks.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,492 posts
15,938 battles

Hi all,

20 hours ago, Gnolfus said:

So I just took up the russian BB line, had a grand total of 3 battles in the tier 3 ship.

It has 37k HP, and I've had 2 games where I took 1 mill+ potential damage through bow tanking the flank of the map where the enemy tag-along train came along. I think I had over half of them shooting at my bow for a couple of minutes in one of the games. Now 3 games is far from conclusive, but two victories and one close loss makes me believe that tying up a lot of their ships and firepower on one end of the map opens up the rest of it for my team, which should increase our chances of winning. However, when I do this I concentrate more on incoming fire and enemy positions and I am only using 50-66% of my guns, so the damage numbers aren't that great as if I'd play in a safer and more gunnery focused position as most of the other BBs do. Sadly it seems that the score/xp value of potential damage taken is way lower than damage done, which isn't very encouraging towards this playstyle. A better player can obviously do both, but you get my point.

Now if you look up my stats, you'll see that I am a new player and that they aren't so great. However I do try to learn and try to play to win, with very varying degrees of success.

Unfortunately the "Potential Damage" is very underappreciated... :Smile_sad:

BTW, I still have thread running (from 2017):

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.

This 14th Ranked I reached my goal of Rank 10 in 10 games with "Kremlin". I have average "Potential Damage" in excess of 2M+... :Smile_hiding:

[SHAFT]
Players
10,283 posts
9,089 battles
11 hours ago, roco4 said:

The only way to draw fire in a BB, is to get the enemy to think they can citadel (or heavily punish) you. You gotta be able to angle in enough to migitate the damage tho. And even that might not work for more than 1 or 2 shots.

Very rarely you seem to get those players these days, that keep shooting your bow for basicly no damage.

But if you have a Cruiser/DD being just stupid like sitting still full broadside, then they dont have to wonder if they get shot at.

Sign in to follow this