Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
kapnobathrac

dont understand the GK at all

23 comments in this topic

Players
176 posts

This was my first battleship but IMO this ship makes no sense at all armor wise.

You can literally do massive damage to her regardles of angles unless ofc its bow on. Other than that its an XP pinata. I really dont understand how such a ship can take damage so easily while ships like Republique mitigate damage to a far greater extent.

Armor doesnt work,second back turrent is placed there just for the lols.

Hard to citadel? so is every other battleship unless you hit it straight from the side. Id rather get citadeled by showing full broad side than to eat 15k non citdael from ALL angles

• Cool 1

Players
172 posts
4,361 battles
2 hours ago, kapnobathrac said:

This was my first battleship but IMO this ship makes no sense at all armor wise.

You can literally do massive damage to her regardles of angles unless ofc its bow on. Other than that its an XP pinata. I really dont understand how such a ship can take damage so easily while ships like Republique mitigate damage to a far greater extent.

Hard to citadel? so is every other battleship unless you hit it straight from the side. Id rather get citadeled by showing full broad side than to eat 15k non citdael from ALL angles

You have quite obviously never put 7 citadels into a Yamato through the nose. Easy peasy 

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
20,526 posts
12,586 battles
2 hours ago, kapnobathrac said:

She still tanks the second highest damage of a all silver BB...

And citadels can hurt a lot more than 15k...

Players
172 posts
4,361 battles
13 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

You cannot overpen a GK. still a tanky ship though.

Course you can. You can’t overpen it’s citadel.

thats entirely different.

[NWP]
Players
6,857 posts
7,643 battles
16 minutes ago, Rionnen_marksman said:

Course you can. You can’t overpen it’s citadel.

thats entirely different.

Only thing you can overpen at the GK is the Superstructure and the Bow/aft. The entire midsection is so heavily armored, every shell arms, and the ship is ofc fat enough to make every shell detonate in time.

3 hours ago, kapnobathrac said:

Armor works perfectly fine. You want to keep moving and angling most of the time, unless you can shoot to the other side while keeping your bow towards the enemies ahead of you, then you can also slow down.

Players
172 posts
4,361 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

Only thing you can overpen at the GK is the Superstructure and the Bow/aft. The entire midsection is so heavily armored, every shell arms, and the ship is ofc fat enough to make every shell detonate in time.

So yes... you can overpen it, that’s what I said lol

• Bad 1

Beta Tester
571 posts
10,097 battles
11 hours ago, kapnobathrac said:

eat 15k non citdael from ALL angles

Intresting, my GK does not do that. Sure you try to use back turret and you will eat a lot of damage but it does bounce shells quite nice. Obviously it depends who and how shoots but even Yamato need some luck to get this 15k volleys.

I think you misinterpretate the damage, it is from hits into superstructure but it gets depleted of health quite fast. You cannot angle to prevent hits into superstructure that is true.

Players
545 posts
12,342 battles

It doesn't help it that most of it's owners sail it broadside to everything... when I see an enemy GK, if it's not completely broadside I tend to give myself a few moments before I fire, because it's usually a matter of seconds before they turn full broad because "hurr durr I can't get citadeled". That might be true, but still, enjoy eating 20-30k salvos... German BB captains, man...

• Cool 2

Players
1,526 posts
10,298 battles

Sometimes playing the GK you have to forget she has four turrets and focus on the forward two...

So, you don't get off all your shells, you can still be very accurate with the front turrets and your acute angles mean shells that come from the enemy will not do as much damage.

I have the Alsace and the Jean Bart and decided one day to play GK the same way with a secondary build... I got some nice juicy citadels from my opponents and received hardly any damage.

If I lost a turret, very rare but can happen, I turned the ship and attacked in reverse...

[AAO]
Players
1,184 posts
18,731 battles
42 minutes ago, Captain_Newman said:

t doesn't help it that most of it's owners sail it broadside to everything... when I see an enemy GK, if it's not completely broadside I tend to give myself a few moments before I fire, because it's usually a matter of seconds before they turn full broad

That applies to almost everything tho.
BBs because "yay, back turrets" and "ME BATTLESHEEP. ME ARMOR!"

And cruisers cuz "that BB hasn't shot me, so no one will shoot me"

Also:

2 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

I have [...] the Jean Bart and decided one day to play GK the same way

2 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

[...] I turned the ship and attacked in reverse...

French memes anyone ?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Players
545 posts
12,342 battles
3 minutes ago, rnat said:

That applies to almost everything tho.
BBs because "yay, back turrets" and "ME BATTLESHEEP. ME ARMOR!"

And cruisers cuz "that BB hasn't shot me, so no one will shoot me"

True. Must do da Big Brain and use them back turrets as well, right? They'll never see it coming :cap_haloween:

[AAO]
Players
1,184 posts
18,731 battles
11 minutes ago, Captain_Newman said:

True. Must do da Big Brain and use them back turrets as well, right? They'll never see it coming :cap_haloween:

TBF to cruisers tho, if you unexpectedly can't disengage when angled in and the BB decides to wait for your turn you won't have a fun time no matter what you do. ^^

The mind of the average BB player is completely incomprehensible to me though. Even more than that of the average player in general.

On the plus side, I started playing more BB again recently and re-discovered the joy of sitting on ppls flank making mashed potatos. ^^

(yes, it's the Missouri. i'm a poor peasant after all :cap_money:)

• Cool 1

Players
545 posts
12,342 battles

Cruisers do it all the time, yes. Bonus points for a Donskoi deciding to do a torpedo rush by turning full broadside to an 8km away BB so he can try and torp it..

BB's with torps do that too, their idea of torping another bb is to turn full broadside in front of it's bow so they can maybe hit one as they eat massive damage... oh man, fun times in wows..

[AMOK]
Players
3,660 posts
16,707 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, rnat sagte:

French memes anyone ?

He wrote turn AND ATTACK. Not turn and run... So no memes here.

Players
180 posts
1,653 battles
23 ore fa, kapnobathrac ha scritto:

Strong armor means getting full pen instead of overpen, that should be the crazy logic that would lead wows mechanics to penalize ships with massive armors (when shot by other bbs at least), with HE spammers, GK is atrociously big and slow and clumsy, so you get an easy target to get farmed. People rarely wants to kill you, but they want to farm you, because its easy.
As for your cidatel, its true you are almost immune to cidatels at close medium range, but you will still eat tons of pen

[QARTV]
Players
412 posts
7,193 battles

I hated GK so much that i sold it and deleted whole German BB tree for free XP and that was before Smolensk came to haunt this game. 

GK is a close range brawler that can not tank damage and gets massacred by HE and often by AP spammers as well, especially Minotaur. But what really pissed me off about that ship was its guns. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF WITH THOSE GUNS. They shoot where they want most of the time, not where you aim them. Sure RNG is bane of all BBs, but i find that GK suffers most from that, maybe WG was thinking something like - well we did made it very hard for GK to use all towers and angle at the same time, but just in case lets increase RNG on those guns if player gets all of them to shoot together and it matters not if it is 20 kms or 3.....

[NWP]
Players
6,857 posts
7,643 battles
9 minutes ago, Fonfalks said:

I hated GK so much that i sold it and deleted whole German BB tree for free XP and that was before Smolensk came to haunt this game. 

GK is a close range brawler that can not tank damage and gets massacred by HE and often by AP spammers as well, especially Minotaur. But what really pissed me off about that ship was its guns. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF WITH THOSE GUNS. They shoot where they want most of the time, not where you aim them. Sure RNG is bane of all BBs, but i find that GK suffers most from that, maybe WG was thinking something like - well we did made it very hard for GK to use all towers and angle at the same time, but just in case lets increase RNG on those guns if player gets all of them to shoot together and it matters not if it is 20 kms or 3..... 

GK is nothing you say it is. Well, except the guns maybe (and the brawling stuff), but i feel that Montana is somehow more trollish than GK. The salvo looks good, but can be utter crap in the end. While GK salvos often look worse, but still get couple of citadels.

But how can it get farmed by HE? The armor shatters most of the cruiser HE. While german BBs (T7+) tend to take tons of damage from smaller caliber AP in the superstructure, it drops down pretty quickly due to damage saturation. Compared to UK/French BBs, which can get farmed all over the place because of their armor.

image.png.bd84bc4b590429a2f92ee9fe10b9ef37.png

Thats what a minotaur closerange does to a Thunderer within 1! reload of his mainguns.

I mean, we have many different lines these days. Not every of those is necessarily working for everyone. If it doesnt fit your playstyle - try another.

Beta Tester
186 posts
4,415 battles
35 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

GK is nothing you say it is. Well, except the guns maybe (and the brawling stuff), but i feel that Montana is somehow more trollish than GK. The salvo looks good, but can be utter crap in the end. While GK salvos often look worse, but still get couple of citadels.

But how can it get farmed by HE? The armor shatters most of the cruiser HE. While german BBs (T7+) tend to take tons of damage from smaller caliber AP in the superstructure, it drops down pretty quickly due to damage saturation. Compared to UK/French BBs, which can get farmed all over the place because of their armor.

image.png.bd84bc4b590429a2f92ee9fe10b9ef37.png

Thats what a minotaur closerange does to a Thunderer within 1! reload of his mainguns.

I mean, we have many different lines these days. Not every of those is necessarily working for everyone. If it doesnt fit your playstyle - try another.

To be honest saying that you can tank HE shells in the GK is just wrong. You can't. Yes they shatter on non-superstructure but it doesn't matter since your superstructure against HE spammers will never be saturated since you keep healing it up with the heals due to fire dmg.

Not even talking about those special cruisers these days that create a constant stream of piss on you and make you feel like you yoloed into two enemy fleets.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
6,857 posts
7,643 battles
9 hours ago, Pappus said:

To be honest saying that you can tank HE shells in the GK is just wrong. You can't. Yes they shatter on non-superstructure but it doesn't matter since your superstructure against HE spammers will never be saturated since you keep healing it up with the heals due to fire dmg.

Not even talking about those special cruisers these days that create a constant stream of piss on you and make you feel like you yoloed into two enemy fleets.

Ofc it gets saturated. And as i said: Other BBs have less armor so they take more damage on other parts aswell. Colbert and Smolensk are the exception, as they dont get 32mm of penetration.

image.png.36cfc0816141ff2d2479d920b1ffb6bf.png

That wasnt even nearly enough to get me killed, and thats a division of 2 Smolensk. I had like 40-50k~ HP, but then i got crossfired by another GK and Kremlin and basicly died within 2 salvos.

Beta Tester
186 posts
4,415 battles
9 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Ofc it gets saturated. And as i said: Other BBs have less armor so they take more damage on other parts aswell. Colbert and Smolensk are the exception, as they dont get 32mm of penetration.

image.png.36cfc0816141ff2d2479d920b1ffb6bf.png

That wasnt even nearly enough to get me killed, and thats a division of 2 Smolensk. I had like 40-50k~ HP, but then i got crossfired by another GK and Kremlin and basicly died within 2 salvos.

Firedmg you heal will remove the saturation. Is just how it works and that screenshot there shows it unless you think 70k is the HP of the superstructure. Possibly even 100k if we add the SAP

[NWP]
Players
6,857 posts
7,643 battles
52 minutes ago, Pappus said:

Firedmg you heal will remove the saturation. Is just how it works and that screenshot there shows it unless you think 70k is the HP of the superstructure. Possibly even 100k if we add the SAP

Saturation is not 100 or 0 tho. You get half damage usually a lot faster, which helps aswell.

Sign in to follow this