Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ocsimano18

Blyskawica or Friesland

38 comments in this topic

Players
208 posts
3,514 battles

Which Pan Euro ship would you get, Blyskawica or Friesland? I would need one for the Puerto Rico grind.

[FJAKA]
Players
2,514 posts
374 battles
2 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Which Pan Euro ship would you get, Blyskawica or Friesland? I would need one for the Puerto Rico grind.

Frie

[-TPF-]
Players
2,431 posts
11,044 battles

Blyskawica is a good all-round destroyer but you need a skilled captain, otherwise she suffers from poor base concealment. Friesland... I suppose it depends on how you feel about DDs without torpedoes.

[CATS]
Players
20,481 posts
12,546 battles

I have both.

Both are good ships.

Friesland is more difficult to play and for experienced DD players.

[JRM]
Players
3,354 posts
18,792 battles

Blyska is easier to play but has disatvantage of beeing T7 not a good tier for a DD as they dont have access to Slot 5 yet (apart from Z-39) and suffer badly when upriered for it while Friesland has all the slots and great guns but no torps putting it in a nieche of its own. Both need dedicated high point captains to get the best out of them and have no line to be used as a trainer for...

So my anwser would be (I have both) - neither

Players
1,329 posts
16,527 battles

I like the Friesland better because it's unique and plays like nothing else, but it takes getting used to. If you're not into weird ships get the Blyska. It's nothing special anymore (used to be the best stealthfiring DD ever), but it plays like a regular destroyer, but worse. As it sounds like you're in it for the grind go polish. If you like weird, go Dutch.

[P-W-C]
Players
5,283 posts
28,774 battles
47 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Blyskawica is a good all-round destroyer but you need a skilled captain, otherwise she suffers from poor base concealment. Friesland... I suppose it depends on how you feel about DDs without torpedoes.

Friesland without good commander also is lacking. With no concealment expert it's around 7km and you have no speed boost to run away and no torps. You can't push Błyskawica too much cause she has some torps, not good ones but still - something. 

Players
467 posts
12,225 battles

Why do you need either of them for the Puerto Rico grind? It's also not really comparable, they're two tiers apart and are acquired for different types of resources, so there's no reason you couldn't go for both at the same time.. Friesland will make more money and suffer to CV's less. Blyska has a small but important role in "Power Creep: The Movie", coming to your theaters every day for the last 3 years, from the Directors That Brought You The Cv Rework. I joke a bit, don't own her but from what I see playing against them it's still a fairly decent boat if the owner can DD, just not as strong as it once was. Like I said, given that one is coal and the other FXP, there's no reason getting one should preclude getting the other, but if you must choose between them, Friesland is the stronger pick.

Beta Tester
2,641 posts
2,857 battles

The Blyskawica is a good all-rounder, but she has been painfully power crept for the past two years. About the only area where she still shines, is her speed, which is still great - hoist a Sierra Mike flag and hit that speed boost button, and you'll do 44 knots straight, which is hilarious. Even so, you will be at a bit of a disadvantage when facing one of the younger breed of tier VII gunboat destroyers, such as the Haida, the Gadjah Mada or the Jervis. You shouldn't let that stop you, however - the Polish Pugilist can still make a good account of herself!

The Friesland is a weird one. She has two double-barrelled gun turrets with a post-war era rate of fire (!), but no torpedoes. She has smoke and hydro, but (much like the Blyska) she also has a larger-than-average detection radius for her tier. What this means is that you have to play carefully and with forethought, or you will get hurt pretty quickly. You can deal a lot of damage over time if you are left alone to do it, and her consumables, if used timely and well, can aid you in this - but you will be hard pressed if someone decides to take the fight to you. The Friesland rewards skilful play, but boy, does she punish mistakes. It should be added that she also punishes any unhappy plane squadrons that happen to stray within her 6,2 km AA range, being one of only two destroyers in the current game meta that can truly dish out pain to just about any carrier player who decides to go for her (the other one, obviously, is the Kidd). Another thing that might bear consideration is the possibility that the Friesland might be given an extra edge when hunting submarines in the upcoming submarine gameplay. This is just speculation on my part, mind you, but I have a suspicion that those two depth charge mortars on her foredeck are not going to remain there for purely decorative purposes.

If I were given to hyperbole, I'd probably say that the Friesland belongs to the future, whereas the Blyskawica remains in the past.

Whichever ship you choose, you will need a highly skilled captain to get the best out of your gameplay. At least 13 points minimum, I'd say - and the higher the better.

Best of luck, captain @Ocsimano18! Hope to see on the high seas!

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[P-W-C]
Players
5,283 posts
28,774 battles
13 minutes ago, Captain_Newman said:

Why do you need either of them for the Puerto Rico grind? It's also not really comparable, they're two tiers apart and are acquired for different types of resources, so there's no reason you couldn't go for both at the same time.. Friesland will make more money and suffer to CV's less. Blyska has a small but important role in "Power Creep: The Movie", coming to your theaters every day for the last 3 years, from the Directors That Brought You The Cv Rework. I joke a bit, don't own her but from what I see playing against them it's still a fairly decent boat if the owner can DD, just not as strong as it once was. Like I said, given that one is coal and the other FXP, there's no reason getting one should preclude getting the other, but if you must choose between them, Friesland is the stronger pick.

Still enjoying her and I'm proud she's in the game (yeah I'm Polish :Smile-_tongue:)

Even though imho she needs 61 knots torps and tad better concealment (6.5km) . 

• Cool 3

Players
467 posts
12,225 battles
2 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

Still enjoying her and I'm proud she's in the game (yeah I'm Polish :Smile-_tongue:)

Wait. You're Polish, yet you don't have "PL" in your name and your stats are actually good? Is this legal? :cap_haloween:

• Funny 5

Players
56 posts
280 battles
1 minutę temu, MacArthur92 napisał:

Right here with you :cap_like: "Błyskawica" is a fine ship, and while there are DDs of different nations that do outclass her in particular fields, she's pretty solid as a sum of all her stats. As for her torp and conc shortcomings, proper selection of commander skills can help in that regard.

3 minuty temu, Captain_Newman napisał:

Wait. You're Polish, yet you don't have "PL" in your name and your stats are actually good? Is this legal? :cap_haloween:

Good joke, mate. A really good joke :cap_haloween:

[P-W-C]
Players
5,283 posts
28,774 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Newman said:

Oh well there are many people saying this to me after the battle :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 4

[KAKE]
Players
1,887 posts
4,326 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Newman said:

Why do you need either of them for the Puerto Rico grind?

Directive 7 of the Puerto Rico grind (as it was on the PTS at least) has one task for Pan-Euro ships, the rest are for a limited selection of T10 ships.

Might change before the patch is actually released, though.

• Cool 1

Players
2,922 posts
8,410 battles
2 hours ago, Ocsimano18 said:

From the perspective of a possible future team mate....Pick the Blyskawica.

It's been powercreept over the years and it's smallest recent buff hasn't help what was wrong with it in the first place, but it's still a decent generalist.  Just needs a dedicated captain. 

The Frie is not user friendly and it's lack of torps massively takes the sting out of it's threat when you push it.   You push them knowing they have nothing to really kill you with quickly.  It depends a lot on Damage Over Time so you simply don't give it time to do that.  Bit like the Smol, however the smol has torps to surprise you with for pushing BB's and has a higher DPM.

both ships are bottom third state wise. :Smile_hiding: However the Blys has been out far far longer (so power creep) where the Fries hasn't which isn't encouraging as new ships normally do alright. :Smile_sad: The Frie hasn't really and i see no signs of it rising (i actually called it because it even came out).

It's up to you at the end of the day and what you like in DD's. What kinda player you are. Don't worry too much about stats, just the ship you enjoy playing.  I love the Sims so much, but it's smack bottom of the stats? Cant get my head around that.

When subs come out then the Fries will be THE ship to go too so there is that.

Personally if i had to pick? The Blysk every time simply to do with my DD play-style.  But i wouldn't have either (hence why i don't) to be honest.

At tier 9 there are better DD Silver ships which in this game is quite rare, but in your predicament, the Blysk would get my vote. 

[JRM]
Players
3,354 posts
18,792 battles
7 minutes ago, Uglesett said:

Directive 7 of the Puerto Rico grind (as it was on the PTS at least) has one task for Pan-Euro ships, the rest are for a limited selection of T10 ships.

Might change before the patch is actually released, though.

You should wait for the final patch before you make plans...

I will likely take some crates this year (as I always do) prob 10-20 big presents and maybe 5-10 mega presents, will see what they drop for me and then if and only if I need more gold for the boosters buy it and boost PR with gold, trust me it will be way more cost effective then buying a T7 or T9 premium for farming one box...

[-TPF-]
Players
2,431 posts
11,044 battles

It's also worth saying that Blyska is significantly cheaper and easier to obtain. If you're buying a ship to do a grind, buy that one - it will either be a bargain you'll enjoy, or something you can leave in port after you've completed the Directive without thinking "I wish I hadn't spent a million Free XP on that".

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
6,080 posts
7,325 battles
9 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

It's also worth saying that Blyska is significantly cheaper and easier to obtain. If you're buying a ship to do a grind, buy that one - it will either be a bargain you'll enjoy, or something you can leave in port after you've completed the Directive without thinking "I wish I hadn't spent a million Free XP on that".

Depends, given one is coal, the other free exp. For example, in my case, buying Friesland is easy, given free exp is grindable, I have more than enough to get the ship and there isn't any other free exp ship that I don't have or that is desireable. Meanwhile coal is harder to come by and is a resource used for far more ships, including 4 T10 reward ships, 2 T9 reward ships, as well as stuff like Kuznetsov.

• Cool 1

Players
467 posts
12,225 battles
44 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

I seem to accumulate coal faster than Free Xp. Your mileage may vary, I guess....

Depends entirely on how much you play high tier prems and how well you're stocked with fxp camos and flags...

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,934 posts
17,017 battles
16 hours ago, Procrastes said:

It should be added that she also punishes any unhappy plane squadrons that happen to stray within her 6,2 km AA range

giphy.gif

• Funny 3

[P-W-C]
Players
5,283 posts
28,774 battles
15 hours ago, Sleepy_Bunny said:

Depends, given one is coal, the other free exp. For example, in my case, buying Friesland is easy, given free exp is grindable, I have more than enough to get the ship and there isn't any other free exp ship that I don't have or that is desireable. Meanwhile coal is harder to come by and is a resource used for far more ships, including 4 T10 reward ships, 2 T9 reward ships, as well as stuff like Kuznetsov.

Coal is ez to grind, the 51k is like 2-3 months of playing. If you play regularly you can make it in less than 2 months. 

Players
208 posts
3,514 battles
6 hours ago, MacArthur92 said:

Coal is ez to grind, the 51k is like 2-3 months of playing. If you play regularly you can make it in less than 2 months. 

Yep, if you buy the Blyska, you're two months behind on a Smolensk/Georgia/Whatever.

Sign in to follow this