Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Gnolfus

Help with American CA captain skills

29 comments in this topic

[CATCH]
Players
78 posts
3,119 battles

Hi.

I'm at the New Orleans, and I have a 7 point soon to be 10 point captain (got some +%commander xp flags). He is lagging behind so to speak because I did the mistake at the earlier tiers of making a new captain for every new ship, and I also went down the CL line and switched over the 10 point captain I had to Dallas because IFHE is so important for light cruisers.

From what I understand, the "standard" American CA build is PT>AR>SI>CE.

My idea was to go PT>EM>DM>CE, then pick up expert loader, superintendent and adrenaline rush afterwards in no particular order.

The reason for this is because I intend to stay at tier 7 for a while because I am fairly new to the game and it seems like a better tier to learn at than 8+, and EM+DM helps the whole match especially when you're not an expert at positioning, and may not always get to use the extra consumeable charge superintended gives... New Orleans also doesn't have radar or repair, so there's that. EM over AR is debatable and I am somewhat undecided. While AP is the strong suit of the USN CA's, you often find yourself firing HE at angled BBs and other cruisers, and a flat +2% fire chance is never bad.

I appreciate any input.

Players
10,117 posts
11,884 battles

Go-to captain for USN CA would be PT-EM-AR-SI-DE-CE with last four points to be spent at your leisure. Priority being securing CE as soon as possible, whether you go with EM-DE-CE or AR-SI-CE or whatever the combination is your decision.

Base turret traverse I find to be workable enough, so AR could be picked first. Demo vs SI is arguable until tier 9, where additional heal can prove invaluable. On other hand, effective gain on fire chance from Demo Expert against tier 10 is only 1%, you be the judge if thats worth three points.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,147 posts
9,005 battles

SI is IMO more useful the higher up you go (or if you get early access to heals) than on lower tiers. So I would swap SI for DE as a core build. Then SI once you get to tier 8-10. So the final build if you intend to use expert loader and maybe take your Des Moines into clan wars should look something like this:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1110000000000010000001100000001119

That is my US CA captain in progress, but feel free to mix around with the last 4 points (RPF is a pure personal preference).

Players
216 posts
12,865 battles

Design your builds on what you actually will use in most games. For example expert marksman is rarely useful if you position yourself into flank or behind island. Demo expert is not necessary if you want to focus in AP. There you can waste 2-5 points for nothing really. PT, DE, SI, FP, CE, AR can all be good skills for every round.

US CA have heavy american AP that means you can penetrate enemy armor  from 22,5 degrees while other have 30 degrees. Get Aslain mod pack that with "navigator" mod installed. This will show u angling. 

You can play US line without Demo expert and just play AP. AP is not light damage and cannot be repaired as well as HE. However fires can be +10k worth of damage to BBs. Its a matter of choice.

Always focus in getting 19 point captains. Get as many 19 pointers as u can and always spend excess captain xp on getting the next captain to 19 points.

You won't learn this game at T7. Only reasons I see in staying at T7 is to grind money or you prefer the ships at meta of this tier.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
10,384 posts
9,122 battles
10 minutes ago, Rautainen_Biisoni said:

You won't learn this game at T7.

eh wut?

He has 360 games, he has no business playing T8+. He can learn enough by playing Midtiers. If he goes to T8+, he will have a bad time himself and for his teammates around....

Actually, after looking his stats, he should drop down to T4 again and just learn from there.

[LEEUW]
Players
2,483 posts
10,120 battles
14 minutes ago, Rautainen_Biisoni said:

You won't learn this game at T7.

Whut. :cap_wander:

No offense to @Gnolfus but youre about 1000 games experience short to pull your own weight at tier 8. You have yet much to learn young padawan, which is no shame. The game is easy to learn yet hard to master.

I'd suggest grinding each line in the class you prefer to tier 5 to get a feel. Play all classes to get to know their strengths and weaknesses.

Good heavens imagine the 4$$ whooping a new player will receive playing against tier 10s in a tier8.

Players
10,117 posts
11,884 battles
1 minute ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Good heavens imagine the 4$$ whooping a new player will receive playing against tier 10s in a tier8.

Apparently whoopass is in fashion for few years straight, looking at quality of hightier gameplay:cap_old:

• Funny 1

Players
216 posts
12,865 battles
8 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

eh wut?

He has 360 games, he has no business playing T8+. He can learn enough by playing Midtiers. If he goes to T8+, he will have a bad time himself and for his teammates around....

Actually, after looking his stats, he should drop down to T4 again and just learn from there.

There are tons of players with 15k games that still haven't learned this basics of this game and u know this. I can see your back muscles from all the carrying. 

I didn't check his stats. I can only see red these days. He still won't learn the whole game at T7.

One more in T10 won't hurt or change anything :Smile_child:

• Funny 1

[THESO]
Players
4,222 posts

PT

You wanna know when ur targeted

PM

Keep your modules and guns alive.

EL

Switching ammo is the key.

Especially if you are using John Doe.

JOT

Coupled with signal... your radar will be grateful.

EM

Turrets never turn fast enough.

AR

More dakka is life.

SI

Moaaaaaar radar and heal.

DE

More fiyah.

CE

Obviously.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1110000001100010000001100000000119

• Cool 1

Players
6,634 posts
10,873 battles
1 hour ago, Gnolfus said:

I appreciate any input.

Here is a little bit broader input: I checked the lines you chose to start and besides the US heavy cruisers you are on the german DD line. My personal view is, that you picked up 2 very hard lines (for a beginner). German DDs are strong on the low tiers and start to build up their characteristics on T6. Which makes them harder to play. They have bad concealment and low rate of fire and mediocre torps/speed. They are opportunists, which look for a position/situation to use their tools, f.e. Hydro.

The US heavy cruisers also need good map and situational awereness, which, in this game, just takes time to build up. Else they get punished very hard and can be out of the game with 1 or 2 salvos. Thats not only frustrating but a game like that doesnt teach you a lot.

If you want my view: Pick two other lines. Japanese cruisers are strong and not so hard to learn. For the DDs, I had a very good time starting with the US DDs. They are allrounders, where I learned how to contest caps, knife-fight other DDs and torp BBs. If you prefer playing stealthy as a DD and dont want to gunfight other DDs, then the japanese DDs. Especially when you intent to stay at T6/T7, they have really nice options there. Only recently I took the time to grind Hatsuharu and the stealth torping was not only a lot of fun but yielded huge damage numbers.

• Cool 1

[CATCH]
Players
78 posts
3,119 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

eh wut?

Yeah I realized that which is why I went down the german cruiser and DD line, however tier 3-5 is absolutely awful due to nearly every single game having 2 or even 3 carriers, while the ships typically have awful AA. I actually prefer playing tier 5-7 and getting uptiered vs having double carrier games every single time.

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
805 posts
4,465 battles
13 minutes ago, Gnolfus said:

however tier 3-5 is absolutely awful due to nearly every single game having 2 or even 3 carriers

Hard to argue with that tbh. Thanks WG for creating an environment where newer players are actually probably correct in wanting to rush to higher tiers as soon as possible. You should absolutely be looking to get more experienced and familiar with the game before moving to the properly high tiers, but I can't blame you one bit for not wanting to stick around in the lower tiers more than you have to.

More on point, if you have a 'soon to be' 10 point captain and you're at the New Orleans then I'd recommend PT, AR, DE and CE as your 10 points. Your 11th should go to Expert Loader (if you have any special USN captains with a bonus to Expert Loader, this is the line to put him on). You won't really be needing SI until T9 when your ship gets repair party, it's not useless before then but it's not really that useful either. EM is useful too, I have it on my 15 point Baltimore captain, but now that you're past the Pensacola there's no absolute necessity to have it and AR would probably be more useful. It's probably what I'd recommend you spend your 13th point on though.

[SHAFT]
Players
10,384 posts
9,122 battles
3 minutes ago, Gnolfus said:

Yeah I realized that which is why I went down the german cruiser and DD line, however tier 3-5 is absolutely awful due to nearly every single game having 2 or even 3 carriers, while the ships typically have awful AA. I actually prefer playing tier 5-7 and getting uptiered vs having double carrier games every single time.

I can totaly understand that :Smile_sad:

Do you see this WG? @MrConway @Crysantos @Tanatoy @Sehales I dont think, he is the only one that feels that way...

51 minutes ago, Rautainen_Biisoni said:

There are tons of players with 15k games that still haven't learned this basics of this game and u know this. I can see your back muscles from all the carrying. 

I didn't check his stats. I can only see red these days. He still won't learn the whole game at T7.

One more in T10 won't hurt or change anything :Smile_child:

Well, you do have a point :Smile-_tongue:

But i rather hope they atleast try to learn the basics first... sometimes it works.

• Cool 4

[LEEUW]
Players
2,483 posts
10,120 battles

:cap_wander:

2 hours ago, Gnolfus said:

I actually prefer playing tier 5-7 and getting uptiered vs having double carrier games every single time.

@MrConway @Crysantos Take note please. If this is the "solution" for new players, then something is awfully wrong. CV hardcap across all the tiers when?

#ddcabblivesmatter #maket4greatagain

• Cool 4

Players
10,117 posts
11,884 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

Do you see this WG? @MrConway @Crysantos @Tanatoy @Sehales I dont think, he is the only one that feels that way...

My memory is tad hazy, but whenever I saw usual WG suspects on stream and they were subjected to fun and engaging mechanics provided by REEEworked carriers, their facial expressions suggested they had not as much fun as spreadshiet would indicate:cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

Players
4,508 posts
7,604 battles
13 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

@MrConway @Crysantos Take note please. If this is the "solution" for new players, then something is awfully wrong. CV hardcap across all the tiers when?

Unfortunately, thanks to the business model, forcing new players to move away from T4 ASAP might be considered a success.

• Cool 1

Players
222 posts
12,144 battles

I did the same with my captains, getting a new one for each ship. It holds you back a bit until you get at least 10 point captain and concealment, but its not too big an issue and if you're keeping certain ships or all of them then its not a bad way to go. Use flags and camo to speed captain training and it doesn't take many games to get 10 points.

As for the New Orleans, I've had a lot of fun, the US CA's kind of change after her. I have mine specced with PT, EM, DE, CE, AR right now. EL will be my next point and after that it really doesn't matter, maybe spec into BFT for extra aa, but its not great to start of with, so maybe just SI.

For the Balti, I'd definitely go with SI before DE, because you've now got a whole load of toys including radar.

If you're enjoying the NO, the Indianapolis has a very similar play style to it and the pensacola, but has radar.

Light cruiser line starts a bit weak with the dallas, its a good boat, but its not until the next tier, helena that you'll start to see the power of lots of 152 shells and a 14 point captain with IFHE and CE. 

[WTFNO]
Players
598 posts
10,423 battles
On 12/3/2019 at 10:04 PM, Capra76 said:

Unfortunately, thanks to the business model, forcing new players to move away from T4 ASAP might be considered a success.

Maybe, but what if you lose 9 out of 10 players along the way :D ?

(at this point my only question regarding WG's motives is, where does the amateurism stops and where does the greed begin...)

Players
1,875 posts
15,500 battles

You won't get that much mileage out of SI until you go high tier - you want it primarily for more radar and heal charges. I used to do the same thing as you did when I was new, btw - start multiple captains on new ships. This was a mistake; you want to get your first 19 pt one asap, then work on the second, and the third, etc.. this way you gain a steady source of elite xp, and start getting more and more of it faster, which leads to more 19pt captains faster. As @DFens_666 stated, you're fairly new and your stats do suggest you should stay away from high tiers a while, and learn at lower ones first - I think you're making the right decision not rushing up the lines, wish more people thought like that.

If I may suggest, start multiple lines. Try out different classes belonging to different nations. Search for vids and reviews from CC's on how to play them - there are plenty of resources out there. Why try different classes of different nations? The more you know about different types of ships in the game, the better you will understand how they play and how to fight them.

If you haven't, set alternative interface mode to full, enlarge your mini map, and enable ship names and last known positions on it. And above all, actually use it. This alone will put you above most players who don't like their screen being "cluttered" by the map, why have awareness and win when you can just "play for fun" and make your teams miserable, right? :cap_haloween:Don't be that guy.

• Cool 2

[CATCH]
Players
78 posts
3,119 battles
2 hours ago, Captain_Newman said:

You won't get that much mileage out of SI until you go high tier - you want it primarily for more radar and heal charges. I used to do the same thing as you did when I was new, btw - start multiple captains on new ships. This was a mistake; you want to get your first 19 pt one asap, then work on the second, and the third, etc.. this way you gain a steady source of elite xp, and start getting more and more of it faster, which leads to more 19pt captains faster. As @DFens_666 stated, you're fairly new and your stats do suggest you should stay away from high tiers a while, and learn at lower ones first - I think you're making the right decision not rushing up the lines, wish more people thought like that.

If I may suggest, start multiple lines. Try out different classes belonging to different nations. Search for vids and reviews from CC's on how to play them - there are plenty of resources out there. Why try different classes of different nations? The more you know about different types of ships in the game, the better you will understand how they play and how to fight them.

If you haven't, set alternative interface mode to full, enlarge your mini map, and enable ship names and last known positions on it. And above all, actually use it. This alone will put you above most players who don't like their screen being "cluttered" by the map, why have awareness and win when you can just "play for fun" and make your teams miserable, right? :cap_haloween:Don't be that guy.

Yeah already did that, got the UI setup correctly and my situational awareness has improved. I also started some new lines, the IJN cruiser line as someone suggested, I am at T5 and really liking them, and the russian BB line.

The problem right now is that I am out of credits, when you play multiple lines tier 3-6 you seem to gain xp on the ships faster than you gain the credits to buy the new ones plus all the modules, upgrades and captain retraining etc.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,529 battles
3 hours ago, chazwozza said:

Id take incoming fire alert over priority target all day every day 

Really? That's quite unusual. The PT can give you way more information than just number of enemies focusing you, you know.

[SKIDZ]
Players
959 posts
23 hours ago, Blixies said:

Really? That's quite unusual. The PT can give you way more information than just number of enemies focusing you, you know.

Enlighten me

WG Staff
3,368 posts
14,438 battles
On 12/3/2019 at 9:49 PM, GarrusBrutus said:

:cap_wander:

Hi!

We already announced that we're introducing a cap for Tier IV (currently at 2 CVs per game). We'll see what we can do to improve this situation in the future and make additional changes if necessary.

Greetings, Crysantos

• Cool 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,147 posts
9,005 battles
On 12/7/2019 at 11:52 AM, chazwozza said:

Enlighten me

Depending on the number of ships and looking at the map, you can often pinpoint exactly what ship is targeting you and angle effectively against the largest amount of enemies or biggest threat, if a DD is targeting you with torps (number suddenly disappears and reappears), if no one is targeting you can often freefarm or turn without risk for retaliation.

So for me PT is so much more worth it than IFA which I consider fairly meh or even useless.

Sign in to follow this