Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Camperdown

Legendary modules: which do you really think worthwhile

33 comments in this topic

[LUZ1]
Players
738 posts
11,962 battles

Greatings, Captains!

I have grinded a couple of legendary upgrades now, and found some of them OK, some meh.

Shima: reduction in torp reload time replaces standard module and slows down tube traverse speed to veeeerrry slow. Thinking about changing it out again to gain tactical flexibility in brawl.

I am currently grinding Grovozoi and Mino for the upgrades.

Which of the legendary modules do you really like, and which are  meh in your view?

[SM0KE]
Players
5,794 posts
14,068 battles
2 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

Which of the legendary modules do you really like, and which are  meh in your view?

Only have a few (three?) so far:

• Shima: hate it; obviously don't use it!
  • Gearing: situationally quite worthwhile, especially in modes like clans, where you can usually rely on others to shoot what you spot. Much less useful when there are a lot of radars around.
  • Groz: if you like the dakka, it's worth using; I currently don't, partly because I miss the shorter torp reload, and partly because I prefer to make more use of stealth than the LU lends itself to (I'm poor with gunboats generally).

[SHAD]
Players
2,676 posts
11,939 battles

Moskva and Yamato are  similar and both good. GKs is very good if you like brawling.

Henri is fun but my Henri has a 17.7km detection because of it.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,142 posts
8,949 battles

Zao and Yamato are pretty much mandatory.

Hindenburg is more of a sidegrade, you become almost immune to fires and flooding, repair very quickly but you loose stealth. Fun to use if you can play around 14 km detection.

Großer Kürfurst is also nice. 1 km less range for higher DPM on both main and secondaries. Play with a spotter plane and IMO it is the overall better option.

Wooster, eh I don't know. Higher duration on consumable sounds nice in theory but you already have pretty high duration on consumables anyways and I don't think giving up stealth is worth it.

HIV legendary is good for randoms, questionable in CW as you can't disengage.

Republique is alright. I normally don't like BB's with too much range but the Repu kinda needs it sometimes due to the squishy armor, so cutting that range down massively is a bit of a mixed bag. Still very high RoF and you can suprise a lot of broadsiding people.

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,905 posts
12,145 battles

I only have the yamato, because i think its the only mandatory one. 

The others are more of a sidegrades, maybe the most useful is the Desmoines and Kurfürst, but only for randoms. 

[SHAD]
Players
2,676 posts
11,939 battles

Hindenburgs legendary would be a must have for any battleship but I''m not sure it's worth it for a cruiser.

[NMA]
Players
1,277 posts
19,151 battles

I've got :

Zao - very good, you can wiggle your [edited]like a DD (4.9s rudder) I find it very useful.

Gearing - hmm... I have it on cos I like the concealment, but you lose DPM. I wouldn't say it's a must but I find it useful

Des moins - I love it, i would say it's a must.

Hindy - tried it in few games, didn't like it, don't use it

Henry - same as hindy, tried it, didn't like it, don't use it

Republique - You trade range but the reload is meme worthy. I like it.

That's about it. Basically I'm not big fan of mods which make you lose concealment. :Smile_sceptic:

Very close to getting YY, Moskva and wooster leg. mod next.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
3,820 posts
18,350 battles

I have Zao LM and Repu.

I can really recommend the Zao's LM; the Repu's is a matter of taste / playstyle imo (the shorter reload suits me better, even though the longer range could sometimes be more useful).

I'm close to a lot of other LM's (Shima, Gearing, Des Moines, Mino, Montana), but I've been told only the Yamato's is a must-have :Smile_Default: (of those mentioned)

• Cool 1

Players
277 posts
6,062 battles

I only have two T10's at the moment and the legendaries vary.

Minotaur is slightly difficult to judge, yes you lose .5km of detection but you can smoke up half your team!! Which is often a waste of time as even if they asked for it they just sail through or keep firing thinking they won't be spotted but not realising the penalty for BBs in smoke is quite large.  Equally if you have one of the Dunkirk brothers as commander then they also extend the area of the smoke screen and this helps.  Overall I would say not to MInotaur.

Des Moines is a definite yes, my average damage has increased by almost 40% since I got it and installed.  You take off like a frightened rabbit and it can be invaluable to stop or slow down if a BB is targeting you and then go off smartly as he is about to fire.

[MORIA]
Players
7,465 posts
37,097 battles

Very Good ones are Zao, GK, Yamato, DM, Gearing, Moskva, Conqueror and Grozo. For Henry, Montana and Hindenburg also ok but you get your concealment rather high. Z-52 and YY are really hard to use( because of big concealment useless to cap) the shima one makes you very limited in close situation, Mino you lose in smoke duration for super big smoke, Republique you have really low range of 19.8 km (on GK you also have only 19 km but at least you get spotter plane and GK is way more tanky than Rep. Used it and it was awful) , Khaba makes it really sluggish for better range. Big no. Worcester also not worthy. 

Beta Tester
725 posts
12,336 battles

As others have stated Yamato is a must.

I actually love Minos LM, but it is for bad players. Good players go with radar. It is funny to sit whole game in smoke and shoot at everyone. Sooner or later they will get you in your smoke anyhow :)

With Gearing LM I have too little experience to have an opinion yet.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,905 posts
12,683 battles
12 hours ago, kfa said:

The others are more of a sidegrades, maybe the most useful is the Desmoines and Kurfürst, but only for randoms. 

The Des Moines one is needed for CB.

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,905 posts
12,145 battles
22 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

The Des Moines one is needed for CB.

No, its not.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,905 posts
12,683 battles
5 minutes ago, kfa said:

No, its not.

Well, read the rest of the thread - apart from you there seems to be a consensus on that.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,142 posts
8,949 battles
2 hours ago, kfa said:

No, its not.

The DM legendary greatly increases the survivability on it in CB and for us atleast keeping ships alive outweigh the rather small radar reduction (which can be largely negated with the radar module).

Each clan setup to their own I guess.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
6,719 posts

Zao, Moskva, GK - pure upgrades

Yama, Gearing - somewhat usable (circumstantial)

Rest are meh

[NMA]
Players
1,277 posts
19,151 battles
3 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Rest are meh

Yama upgrade somewhat usable? I thought Yama upgrade is a must have?

Des upgrade is meh?

:Smile_unsure:

[JRM]
Players
6,719 posts

Well turrets on yam are god awfully slow even without it, its a must it you play sniper yam and exclusively a sniper yam, otherwise its a liability as you will have issues getting guns on target...

Desmo is meh yes, it allows for speedy movement but as it means you sacrifice either additional reload boost or range boost you would otherwise slot there its a sidegrade, besides for really "up close and personal" cap rushing stuff you are better off with salem due to the improved heal...

[SHAFT]
Players
10,238 posts
9,063 battles
16 hours ago, ollonborre said:

Hindenburg is more of a sidegrade, you become almost immune to fires and flooding, repair very quickly but you loose stealth. Fun to use if you can play around 14 km detection. 

Ive never used Hindy LM and i never will.

I just dont see it having any use whatsoever. Sounds nice that you dont get much fire/flood damage, but those are not the main sources of damage you take. Its AP alpha, HE alpha or Torp alpha. So while you dont burn for a long time, you will get focused longer since its harder to disengage. I guess if Hindy would have Moskva-grade armor, then it would be usefull :Smile-_tongue:

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,483 posts
15,938 battles

Hi all,

The "Yamato legendary Module" is the one of the best (if not THE BEST) of them all... :Smile_honoring:

As for turret slowness with Yammamoto captain is is bearable... and the experience players know how to position the ship and where to turn the turrets in advance anyway... :Smile_hiding:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
3,820 posts
18,350 battles
1 hour ago, Yedwy said:

Well turrets on yam are god awfully slow even without it, its a must it you play sniper yam and exclusively a sniper yam, otherwise its a liability as you will have issues getting guns on target...

I find the turret rotation doable with the turret rotation captain skill (Expert Marksman?). I also have Yamamoto on my Yamato, I think he has improved EM?

Anyway, with LM and this captain skill, it's not often I find myself in moments where I really felt disadvantageous due to decreased turret rotation speed.

• Cool 1

Players
1,188 posts
18,992 battles

I've got the ones for Shimakaze, Minotaur and Großer Kurfürst. The first one is useless, even detrimental, the closer you play to the frontlines; the second one is nice with smoke, while when using radar it becomes a trade-off of stealth for incoming shell dispersion IIRC, and I personally prefer the former (also the fact that I play Minotaur as a pure utility platform since RTS times, so I went with an AA speccing including AAGM2); the last one... well, it's a sidegrade for brawlers, giving up a bit of secondaries' RoF compared to SBM2 and some traverse and range for the main guns in exchange for quite a better reload in the latter.

Salute.

Players
50 posts
4,746 battles
19 hours ago, Camperdown said:

Greatings, Captains!

I have grinded a couple of legendary upgrades now, and found some of them OK, some meh.

Shima: reduction in torp reload time replaces standard module and slows down tube traverse speed to veeeerrry slow. Thinking about changing it out again to gain tactical flexibility in brawl.

I am currently grinding Grovozoi and Mino for the upgrades.

I like the Moskva, Minotaur and GK one.

But I think the Unique Upgrade are used wrongly. They should complement the ship and not give nerfs.

Players
8,350 posts
9,213 battles
19 hours ago, ollonborre said:

Honestly, I'm using it, but you overlooked one other buff. -20% rudder shift. It's not as good as speccing rudder mod in that slot, but still gives you turning qualities in excess of a non-rudder specced Zao (which is already good) and important when 30 mm plating these days gets overmatched by ever more ships. The buffs in all other areas to me are alo not there to achieve immunity, but to allow me to throw captain points into a build that would otherwise gimp my survivability a bit much.

Spoiler

shot-19_11.27_19_15.09-0375.thumb.jpg.09baa263ab342f7371b6a24852cbeda6.jpg

I could respec from JoAT and EM into BoS and PM or IFA, just to give the middle finger to Smolensk (which is why I started mounting the legendary in the first place), but yeah. This is basically just there for Kremlin pest control, penning its deck for reliable damage with IFHE. SI is not necessary, because you have 4 heals already and 5th is not going to find anything repairable. This isn't Stalingrad that suffers from fires, it's a Hinden, getting fullpenned and citpenned by most things that deal damage. DE is to recover some of the fire chance, which with two signals sits at 14%.

Detection is a major issue, but you basically play like a budget version of the legendary Henri or like some Moskva or Stalingrad. As you have no radar, noone needs you at the cap anyway, sit a bit further behind. Abandon all hopes about being sneaky, there's basically two things you want to do to have a decent contribution to a match in this ship and these are:

• Drawing fire that you hopefully dodge with your more nimble ship that most people underestimate. Every salvo you dodge is a salvo your team mates don't have to dodge.
  • Shooting as much as you can. Hindenburg for a CA has better dpm than Henri, Moskva and Zao (because noone runs reload mod on Zao) and enough base pen to go through any deck of any BB at T10. Your fire chance is underwhelming, your utility is not there, your damage is basically dpm and just raw damage, so you just dakka as often as possible to get your damage. With enough shells, you will also get your fires.

This doesn't make Hindenburg into some meta cruiser that actually is good, but at least you have a role and normal Hinden isn't going to make a better impression either in current meta. Obviously, you don't need the legendary mod to counter Kremlin (rudder mod does a better job, as no Kremlin shoots HE at you and whoever does is a blessing), but Smolensk is a pain too. It is sad that this is what has come of Hindenburg, but hey, sometimes you actually get the folks who forget that you can load AP and fam their broadside or those who try to rush you with your 8 torps per side.

Players
3,130 posts
11,007 battles

IMHO:

Kurf

Yes but use spotter plane.  

Yam

Donwnright Buff.  

Grov

Value Concealment more so i don't use it. IMHO, If you wanna play gunboating get the Kleber, kaba and harra because they do it better.  I also like the faster torp reload as it's the best all round DD there is. 

Hindy

Split.  Half of me likes it, half doesn't.  I'm constantly switching from one to the other.  i THINK i like concealment better as cruisers in general don't have that long burn duration like BB's and Supercrusiers do so...But eitherway to be honest. It does have that extra heal now so it can take fire damage anyway.  Split.

Des

Since the Republic and even more the Krem, it's a given in CB.  Far too many BBs that can one shoot it now on the nose.  Anything to make that not happen is a bonus. It's already got a good reload and it's not a ship you use from max range anyway.Lol.  Too many Des are dying needlessly now with all these Krems about (i have killed more Des in CB with the Krem more than anyother ship).  Prob why Moslva and Grads are preferred. That and against Kleber spam. 

Republique

Not for me, not worth it.  It's a French BB that need to remain at a slight distance and the reload is already good (with AR and premium captain).  Anything covered in 32mmm armour does.

Moskva

Hell yeah, upgrade.

Sign in to follow this