Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ColaholicA

Controversial Suggestion: Remove Tier 4 Carriers.

7 comments in this topic

[SVX]
Players
29 posts
3,802 battles

Hello there folks!

Recently I've been playing a few low tier games in order to work on some new (for me) ship lines. While in Tier 4 Matchmaking there have been 1-3 Carriers on either team per match. As a Carrier main myself I have no issue with CVs in general, however, there are some MAJOR issues at Tier 4. The primary reason for this is the (almost) complete lack of AA defenses on ships which make all surface ships practically defenseless against aircraft. 

For the sake of my own curiosity, I decided to repurchase the Hosho since it has been quite notorious in its use as a "Seal Clubber" since the buff to its Torpedo Aircraft. And oh boy I wasn't disappointed! Not only is the Hosho Ridiculously strong at Tier 4 due to her damage potential, but there also is NO COUNTER to her since AA of ships are severely lacking and Carriers can't even put up Fighters to cover their allies. On top of all this, a lot of the players at this low tier are fairly new to the game, and playing against these blatantly overpowered Carriers isn't fun whatsoever, even for experienced players (And frankly they're quite boring to play as well). How are the newcomers supposed to want to stick around when they keep getting farmed by a Class that they have no counter towards? For all they know this issue could just keep getting worse the higher in the Tiers they climb. At higher Tiers, the AA-capabilities of ships at least make striking grouped up enemies a very costly endeavor.

What I would do long term wise is Remove Tier 4 Carriers from matchmaking and instead have Submarines of Tier 2-4 as the "extra" class introduced during the lower tiers and have Carriers being introduced to the players at Tier 6 onwards where AA defense is more noticeable. This would also make sense from a historical point of view since Submarines have been used operationally far longer than Aircraft Carriers. This might have all kinds of balance implications we don't know about since Submarines are still in testing, but at least submarines were part of the equation when the earlier ships were built (Even though the earliest incarnation of Anti-Submarine Warfare may have been a bit flawed since it consisted of sailors in rowboats trying to destroy periscopes with hammers).

I do think that the Carriers at Tier 4 are important for their historical value (being among the first carriers operational in the world) so keeping them in the game somehow would be preferable. Maybe they could be part of an extensive CV tutorial each player gets access to or have them present in Operations etc. Or turn them into Tier 6 Premiums with unique mechanics to offset their outdated equipment.

TL;DR: Remove Carriers from Tier 4 and have Submarines be the extra class introduced at the earlier stages of the game (these were also historically operational long before Carriers). Introduce the CV class starting at Tier 6 where most ships were designed with the knowledge that aircraft was (a new) part of naval warfare since at these Tiers AA is more present as a counter to Aircraft.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[SVX]
Players
29 posts
3,802 battles
4 minutes ago, veslingr said:

Limit MM to 1 per side. Hard cap. 

Although I see this as a fair solution that would be far easier to implement, doing this could potentially make Tier 4 Carriers have abysmal queue times. Personally I feel that Wargaming should go ALL-IN in this case and remove Tier 4 CVs completely.

Edited by ColaholicA
Clarifying my message.
  • Cool 1

Players
7,157 posts
245 battles

nerf hosho back to pre buff levels.

and maybe buff hermes bombs to 19mm's pen if it doesn't have that already.

and adjust langley where needed.

• Cool 1

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles
Just now, ColaholicA said:

Although I see this as a fair solution that would be far easier to implement, doing this could potentially make Tier 4 Carriers have abysmal queue times. Personally I feel that Wargaming should go ALL-IN in this case.

Where is fun in 3 ships in line? 

Also if you want sealclub. And number of games in t4 cv indicates this are not player who grind line, live withing qq

[NECRO]
Players
1,584 posts
Vor 3 Stunden, ColaholicA sagte:

and instead have Submarines of Tier 2-4 as the "extra" class introduced during the lower tiers

Hell no! Introduce them to Tier 10 if you MUST introduce them at all, or maybe shoehorn them into a separate game mode to enable me to evade that underwater DD abomination entirely.

[CN_]
Moderator, WoWs Wiki Team, Freibeuter
2,097 posts
6,668 battles

Thread closed.

There is already a thread for discussions about the cv rework. You can discuss this idea there, but you're not the first one with this idea.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1