You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Thracen

Double CVs at tier 8 is a nightmare.

112 comments in this topic

[DAVY]
Players
437 posts
6,456 battles

Yup this is toxic. Miserable and the worst experience I have had in world of warships since I last tried tier 3, where I found myself with a ship with no AA none at all against two CVs. It is frankly beyond my imagination to see why this is deemed acceptable?

• Cool 22
  • Bad 1

[SWTP]
Players
1,215 posts
9,691 battles
3 minutes ago, Thracen said:

Yup this is toxic. Miserable and the worst experience I have had in world of warships since I last tried tier 3, where I found myself with a ship with no AA none at all against two CVs. It is frankly beyond my imagination to see why this is deemed acceptable?

It's great success. That is what for rework has been done according to WG and mighty spreadsheets. You should have fun:Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 13

[CATS]
Players
20,526 posts
12,586 battles
9 minutes ago, Thracen said:

Yes, a nightmare. Even in a DD without significant AA I can only do 1500 base XP without sinking...

shot-19_11.22_12_14.17-0019.thumb.jpg.a0c81fe2d5f4420899b78b923648dfa6.jpg

And these matches became increasingly rare the last couple of months. What was WG thinking?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 6

Players
234 posts
1,444 battles

Must have been a while since you played tier 3, it’s 3 CV’s per match there now more often than not:cat_cool:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
843 posts
15,796 battles

Certainly isn't fun that's for sure but hope you have had better luck than me with your CV players. 

My teams CVs usually either go AFK/ rage quit or deliberately team kill, and it's been like that over and over this past week. 

Players
2,310 posts

Had a a game in a tier 3 cruiser on my alt account was focused and destroyed before I even got any damage in, that was a three CV per side game, not worth even trying however,at T8 where there is lots of uptiered flak, I think two cv's per side is ok.

[THESO]
Weekend Tester
1,623 posts
4,410 battles
2 hours ago, Thracen said:

Spreadsheet Says your Having most Fun in Years Man.

Stop Complaining.

Spreadsheet is Always Right.

Spreadsheet is Always Right.

Spreadsheet is Always Right.......

You either Agree or you go to Gulag.

As Simple as that.

• Cool 2

[ARYA]
Players
527 posts
12,984 battles

Double CV at any tier is a nightmare!!!!

• Cool 9

[CHAR]
Players
64 posts
1,374 battles

Even matches with a single CV are a lot less fun than ones without.

The mighty spreadsheets obviously aren't telling WG that a class that can only have fun by taking the fun out of the game for 11 other players is a shite idea.

• Cool 9
  • Boring 1

[H0LY]
Players
124 posts
3,233 battles
10 hours ago, Thracen said:

It's not bad. If you lack AA make use of allied ships. Especially since most double cv matches I come across are are one T8 cv and one T6. So unless you play mister predictable you won't have that hard of a time especially since smoke exists.*

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[CHAR]
Players
64 posts
1,374 battles
2 minutes ago, Sirius_IV said:

It's not bad. If you lack AA make use of allied ships. Especially since most double cv matches I come across are are one T8 cv and one T6. So unless you play mister predictable you won't have that hard of a time especially since smoke exists.*

Even with 3 allied ships blasting away at a CV squadron of a T8 carrier, they get off an attack. Still means it's uncounterable damage/fire/module damage to your ship.

• Cool 3

[H0LY]
Players
124 posts
3,233 battles
14 minutes ago, Phayk said:

Even matches with a single CV are a lot less fun than ones without.

The mighty spreadsheets obviously aren't telling WG that a class that can only have fun by taking the fun out of the game for 11 other players is a shite idea.

CVs are fine. They can stay in the game. But it requires skill to use a cv. Yes youre basically unkillable but AA is a censored. You can't just fly over to a ship and fire at it. You'll get shot down unless the ship has weak AA. Its a middle ground. CV mains want a buff, Non cv mains want planes removed. If this same movement goes to subs wg will probably stop adding any historical cvs and submarines. Because players don't like them. Because players don't know how to fend them off. 

• Cool 4
  • Bad 4

[H0LY]
Players
124 posts
3,233 battles
3 minutes ago, Phayk said:

Even with 3 allied ships blasting away at a CV squadron of a T8 carrier, they get off an attack. Still means it's uncounterable damage/fire/module damage to your ship.

Soo? You can't ward of incoming shells either if they hit you. Yes you can dance your back off and try to avoid them. But to planes you have atleast a chance to get less incoming damage. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
66 posts
1,129 battles

This is even annoying when playing as a CV because there is literally no reason for those games to happen as compared to T4, there are always more than enough ships in the MM range of T6 and T8 carriers to give them solo games, yet WG thought it would be a fun learning experience for everyone with double carriers in T8.

• Cool 1

[-NFG-]
Players
198 posts
7,413 battles

People have clearly forgotten what facing 2 CVs EACH with 4-5 attack squadrons in the air at once was like, especially if yours were potatos.  And with better alpha strike too

• Cool 4

[H0LY]
Players
124 posts
3,233 battles
3 minutes ago, Nov_A said:

This is even annoying when playing as a CV because there is literally no reason for those games to happen as compared to T4, there are always more than enough ships in the MM range of T6 and T8 carriers to give them solo games, yet WG thought it would be a fun learning experience for everyone with double carriers in T8.

How is it more annoying as cv? I can't see how unless you're the tier 6 let's say furious being "helped" by a tier 8 Graf Zeppelin. Graf can do the spotting and cover most distant dds with fighters while you attack the enemy with your tanky planes. 

• Funny 1

[CHAR]
Players
64 posts
1,374 battles
22 minutes ago, Sirius_IV said:

CVs are fine. They can stay in the game. But it requires skill to use a cv. Yes youre basically unkillable but AA is a censored. You can't just fly over to a ship and fire at it. You'll get shot down unless the ship has weak AA. Its a middle ground. CV mains want a buff, Non cv mains want planes removed. If this same movement goes to subs wg will probably stop adding any historical cvs and submarines. Because players don't like them. Because players don't know how to fend them off. 

They aren't fine, and if you think CVs require skill, what did you smoke?

This isn't about "balance", this is about the entire design of the CV class. First you should make the class fun to play as and against, then you can worry about design. We haven't achieved the former by miles.

It has nothing to do with players not knowing how to fend off Planes. All damage against planes (aside from pressing some consumables and "O") is passive. All damage planes deal to you is basically passive considering how easy it is to land hits as a CV. Any way to counter them (countering a CV basically means using DefAA instead of Hydro or Fighter instead of Spotting Plane) is random, because you might not get a CV in your next match, in which case you just gimped your ship for no reason. You cannot counter them by running away - they are faster, you cannot hide behind islands - they are faster, you cannot realistically dodge their attacks, you cannot increase the damage you deal to them by improving your aim, you cannot focus fire single squadrons if you perceive the bombers to be a greater thread than the torpedo aircraft. All choices you usually have when engaging any surface ship are taken away.

The literal single reaction you have to an air attack is to press consumables and hope your passive damage is enough.

CVs cannot be countered by playing well. Period. The game is entirely in the CV players hand, the surface ships have no influence on it. And in the end you don't even get to kill him half the time.

Funny thing about subs so far: They already have much better design than CVs. They have to be actively engaged by DDs with the Depth Charges, they can't passively sit around firing torpedoes due to relatively low Torpedo Range and have a (somewhat) distinct counter in Hydro.

• Cool 6

Players
545 posts
12,342 battles

We've all been complaining about double CV for a long time, but WG prefers to pretend the rework was a success and thus CV is like any other class. I absolutely love DD's and I find myself playing them less and less because of this. CV's, particulary double CV's, make it a fool's errand. Why play a class you will need to go super try hard mode in to maybe have some impact when a couple of 32%er CV's can just mindlessly spam you with rockets? Just dodge the sky balans comrade.

• Cool 8

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
66 posts
1,129 battles
9 minutes ago, Sirius_IV said:

How is it more annoying as cv? I can't see how unless you're the tier 6 let's say furious being "helped" by a tier 8 Graf Zeppelin. Graf can do the spotting and cover most distant dds with fighters while you attack the enemy with your tanky planes. 

Because you are yet again dependent on the MM to either get an equal CV friendo or one with glue sniffing tendencies. Not so bad if they sit in a Tirpitz, but as a CV they have much more impact potential on the game that they could either use or waste.

• Cool 2

Players
1,370 posts
16,585 battles
27 minutes ago, Sirius_IV said:

CVs are fine. They can stay in the game. But it requires skill to use a cv. 

giphy.gif

• Cool 2
  • Funny 8

[CHAR]
Players
64 posts
1,374 battles
39 minutes ago, Sirius_IV said:

Soo? You can't ward of incoming shells either if they hit you. Yes you can dance your back off and try to avoid them. But to planes you have atleast a chance to get less incoming damage. 

Are you serious?

I can hide behind islands to stop the shells from coming (the planes won't be bothered by an island), I can kill the source of the shells so there won't be any more coming (CVs are basically invulnerable, they can just send more planes), I can ask my team to focus-fire the source of the shells to work together and kill it, can run away from the shells to mitigate damage, can angle myself to mitigate damage, or finally can press certain consumables to disappear. I have so many choices in this situation, where I had almost none aside from pressing "O" against a CV.

In your example, a CV has laser-guided shells which give vision and aren't bothered by either line-of-sight or concealment range of the target.

• Cool 5

Players
545 posts
12,342 battles
2 hours ago, Sirius_IV said:

CV's are anything but fine. They often put players in a no-counterplay situation, especially DD's. They can be the only member of their class on the map and they still hard counter an entire class from absolute safety and dictate how everyone needs to play, which for DD's often means they can't do their job properly.

Requiring some skill (and tbh, not much, compared to other classes) doesn't mean they're good for the game. And pray tell, explain to a french DD how to "fend them off". Turn into rockets? Stay close to friendly AA? Great, may as well have just played a cruiser or a BB instead.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and see the choices WG made that were just catering to the lowest common denominator.

Used to be that striking big ships was easier, while striking DD's required skill - a good CV would go and cross drop DD's and get them killed off early; because this required actual skill, most CV's were incapable of doing this so they'd just go attack BB's, losing planes in the process. Now, even a 32%er can easily wreck DD's with mindless rocket plane spam.

Used to be that CV players needed to learn just one thing - which ships are no fly zones they should avoid. You know, kind of like DD's need to learn spotting ranges, which ships have radar, what the durations and ranges are, who has hydro, how does spotting work etc. Or how BB's have to learn about angling and armor profile and what they overmatch. Stuff like that. CV's just had to learn which few ships to avoid but this proved too much of a challenge for them, so WG went and nerfed AA so now everything can be dropped. DefAA is a joke atm.

Used to be that a CV player would have to win the air war against the enemy one as well as drop the enemy team, effectively baiting and using strafes. Nah, too complicated, let's remove that entirely and just have them farm damage with drops.

Used to be that a burning CV can't launch planes. Now their fires last for 4 seconds. And they can't detonate, because why would they, it's just as ship filled to the brim with aviation fuel and ordinance that is magically almost immune to fires and completely immune to detonations.

Apparently it's ok to expect BB players, sometimes called BBabies, to learn how to manage their damage control effectively. For CV players though, let's make the consumable automatic. Also let's make defensive fighters automatic as well, because we can't have the 32%er interrupted while he's mindlessly spamming with his rocket planes.

Yes, go cry me a river about how much "skill" CV play requires and how hard the CV's have it.. the amount of pandering WG gave CV's is beyond ridiculous.

• Cool 10

[ALYEN]
Players
1,030 posts
2,675 battles
44 minutes ago, Sirius_IV said:

Are you serious about that statement ? If yes I doubt you know how to play this game ... there's a LOT you can do to avoid being shot at and again some to avoid being hit ... it's called positioning ... no positioning can help you avoid CV attention ....

• Cool 2