You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Iolite

Yoshino vs Smolenks vs Thunderer

37 comments in this topic

[K3RLS]
Players
292 posts
9,668 battles

Which one should I get?

My eyes were focused on Yoshino as its a better Azuma. And I like heavy and super cruisers. But since its just azuma with torps. Is it worth it? It doesn't get a significant increase of health unlike the incoming Puerto Rico. But it has torps and probably the monster range Azuma gets with modules and spotter plane. 

Then there's Smolenks. Which from the ships I have, I can only compare to Harugumo and Atlanta.

Atlanta is fun but since she's a cruiser, she really gives me a headache because of her concealment and base firing range. And since I don't have a light cruiser dedicated captain that's above 10skill points, I can't get the fullest out of her. 

But I like harugumo with just 12 skill points on her captain. Sure it's speed leaves something to desire compared to Kleber but it's rof is amazing. 

And there's the Thunderer, which is not really but almost similar to Vanguard. Vanguard I enjoy as well as it's one of the ships I perform better in over all. Mostly because of  the heal vanguard has, plus the heal flag it can pretty much restore itself to completely after losing 1/3 of its hp. 

And yes I know the wiki exists but that doesn't give me any impression I can relate to compared to experiences people share. 

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
2,678 posts
11,950 battles
9 minutes ago, Sirius_IV said:

Which one should I get?

My eyes were focused on Yoshino as its a better Azuma. And I like heavy and super cruisers. But since its just azuma with torps. Is it worth it? It doesn't get a significant increase of health unlike the incoming Puerto Rico. But it has torps and probably the monster range Azuma gets with modules and spotter plane. 

Then there's Smolenks. Which from the ships I have, I can only compare to Harugumo and Atlanta.

Atlanta is fun but since she's a cruiser, she really gives me a headache because of her concealment and base firing range. And since I don't have a light cruiser dedicated captain that's above 10skill points, I can't get the fullest out of her. 

But I like harugumo with just 12 skill points on her captain. Sure it's speed leaves something to desire compared to Kleber but it's rof is amazing. 

And there's the Thunderer, which is not really but almost similar to Vanguard. Vanguard I enjoy as well as it's one of the ships I perform better in over all. Mostly because of  the heal vanguard has, plus the heal flag it can pretty much restore itself to completely after losing 1/3 of its hp. 

And yes I know the wiki exists but that doesn't give me any impression I can relate to compared to experiences people share. 

Smolensk and Thunderer are great.

Smolensk is more unique though.

Thunderer does Yoshinos job as well as Yoshino does but is also a tough battleship that can fight in closer ranges also.

[BOBS]
Beta Tester
254 posts
3,439 battles

I have all 3:

Yoshino is good, but easy to citadel. It’s a long range spammer with good torps, but it’s very slow to manouvre. 

Smolensk well if you can’t beat em, join em. It’s a horrendous ship, everything that is wrong with WoWs at the moment, spam spam spam that HE 👎🏻

Thunderer, this boat is my pride and joy at the moment, I love it!

Guns hit like a truck, turns on a dime, the excellent RN Beal (although not up to Conquerors level) and has an excellent AA suite. I don’t think I’ve lost a single ranked battle with her yet.

• Cool 2

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,905 posts
12,149 battles

The answer is S M O L E N S K. 

• Funny 1

[XTREM]
Players
1,803 posts
14,058 battles

You're not wrong that Thunderer is a bit like Vanguard when you consider things like rudder shift and concealment(both excellent) but it has much better firing angles as well. Then again, pretty much everything does compared to Vanguard. 

And of course, you have quick reloading, 18 inch guns with insane accuracy, def AA... standard heal but faster cooldown IIRC...

The only real weakness of Thunderer is the extensive 32mm plating... and I guess the exposed citadel. That's pretty much it. Good ship. 

[SHAFT]
Players
10,261 posts
9,069 battles
23 minutes ago, Sirius_IV said:

Smolensk can get up to 19km range because of AFT + Rangemod. So range is no problem for Smolensk. But a 10pt captain isnt that great, more is better.

I dont like Smolensk that much. Is kinda boring to play for me. only got it right away because it was so hyped.

Ill get Thunderer next.

• Cool 2

Players
8,368 posts
9,213 battles

Smolensk if you want the broken ship.

Thunderer or Yoshino if you just want something interesting but not outright broken.

Between Thunderer and Yoshino, Thunderer is easier to play (easier even than Smolensk). It has basically the dpm of a Yoshino, a bit worse accuracy (still best BB accuracy) and insane HE pen, fire chance and AP overmatch. What makes Yoshino not outright crap in comparison is that Thunderer is a BB and for a BB in the lower end of tankiness, while Yoshino for a cruiser is closer to the top, after Moskva and Stalingrad, having a good hp pool, weird internal plating and some spaced armour for 0 damage pens. A Thunderer has to work hard to tank meaningfully for the team without dying, while a Yoshino does not need to bother with that. I'm not even sure whether I'd not consider Yoshino tankier in a matchup vs Yamato, given Yamato doesn't as easily overmatch its way right into the cit.

In a brawl, Thunderer relies on its dpm to beat other BBs, while Yoshino is the sole high tier supercruiser with torps, which also can be lulzy at range.

32 minutes ago, Sirius_IV said:

I think 21.3 km before spotter. More than Kremlin ever gets. Puerto Rico can be scary, but has lower HE dpm than Yoshino with worse range, detectability and no torps. I'm not going to say Puerto Rico won't be a powerful ship, but I'd not discount Yoshino due to it.

[KAKE]
Players
2,654 posts
6,355 battles

I'd say that Smolensk is likely to be the first of the three to be removed from the Armory, which is an argument for going for her first and holding off on the others.

• Cool 2

[K3RLS]
Players
292 posts
9,668 battles
5 minutes ago, Uglesett said:

I'd say that Smolensk is likely to be the first of the three to be removed from the Armory, which is an argument for going for her first and holding off on the others.

Yea Thunderer is quite new so it won't get booted. But Yoshino has been there for a while. While Smolenks is also new but is Overpowered . And I only have 60k, coal so the chances of getting Smolenks are Smol:Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[K3RLS]
Players
292 posts
9,668 battles
42 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

You're not wrong that Thunderer is a bit like Vanguard when you consider things like rudder shift and concealment(both excellent) but it has much better firing angles as well. Then again, pretty much everything does compared to Vanguard. 

And of course, you have quick reloading, 18 inch guns with insane accuracy, def AA... standard heal but faster cooldown IIRC...

The only real weakness of Thunderer is the extensive 32mm plating... and I guess the exposed citadel. That's pretty much it. Good ship. 

So in theory it can heal just as much as Vanguard would?

Players
8,368 posts
9,213 battles
39 minutes ago, Sirius_IV said:

So in theory it can heal just as much as Vanguard would?

Yes, but Thunderer for its tier has a very low hp pool, Vanguard has the best T8 hp pool.

[UNICS]
Players
4,506 posts
15,942 battles
1 hour ago, Uglesett said:

It was the same with Missouri. Broken ships get pulled. I didn't get the Missouri and I'll leave Smolensk too. I'd just feel dirty playing them. No regrets about it.

Not sure what to spend the coal on though. The Thunderer seems decent, but not something I really want, and neither of the Steel ships look very appetizing either... :cap_hmm:

I kind of hope they'll release a Swedish ship at some point.

[K3RLS]
Players
292 posts
9,668 battles
13 hours ago, Phayk said:

Smolensk is an easy pick if you want a strong, braindead HE spammer.

To hold my mouse button down and play a clicker game  with my hand? 

wg660.gif

[K3RLS]
Players
292 posts
9,668 battles
13 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

Not sure what to spend the coal on though. The Thunderer seems decent, but not something I really want, and neither of the Steel ships look very appetizing either... :cap_hmm:

I don't know which I want as steel ship. Since neither of the coal or steel do I have much, 60k coal and 700 steel. 

Stalingrad is a monster of a (basically) super cruiser. That and its cool camo you could unlock if you win a ranked seasons or a clan seasons.

But Bourgogne is a tier ten Alsace which looked like fun. I'm going to grind to Alsace and Moskva first. And then see which I like. To decide what steel ship I want. And since Moskva has a space camo that shops up every now and then.. 

[K3RLS]
Players
292 posts
9,668 battles
13 hours ago, Sleepy_Bunny said:

Yes, but Thunderer for its tier has a very low hp pool, Vanguard has the best T8 hp pool.

Low hp pool and an exposed citadel? Sounds like a something only a skilled person can use. 

[SHAD]
Players
2,678 posts
11,950 battles
4 minutes ago, Sirius_IV said:

Low hp pool and an exposed citadel? Sounds like a something only a skilled person can use. 

24 km range, battlecruiser accuracy and 63% fire chance? Sounds like easy mode to me!

[K3RLS]
Players
292 posts
9,668 battles
21 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

24 km range, battlecruiser accuracy and 63% fire chance? Sounds like easy mode to me!

Does it have the same slow shells as Vanguard though. If so this might be a problem. For me with aiming 

Players
10,090 posts
11,855 battles

Yoshino I doubt will be removed anytime soon as she is merely "balanced" in age of broken ships. And if WG can't be arsed to give a fluff about balance, why should you?:Smile_smile:

Therefore: Smolensk.

• Cool 2

Players
2,158 posts
13,722 battles
14 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

It was the same with Missouri. Broken ships get pulled. I didn't get the Missouri and I'll leave Smolensk too. I'd just feel dirty playing them. No regrets about it.

Mo is overhyped, the only broken thing on her are credit making abilities the rest being Iowa, hardly  a broken ship. Radar was a thing back then when there were not so many radar ships now everyone and his dog has a radar. I know it's a BB but overextend to use this gimmick and you are dead to  HE spam or torps.  But then she's my joy and pride as a first high tier BB I got in this game as a total noob with wonderful stats to prove how poor she is whenever I want to dis her:Smile_trollface:  

Stll she's made me a ton of credits and an ocean of tears farmed unfortunately mostly on my teammates:cap_haloween:

So guys do not go high tiers too early. You'll regret it. But to be honest even now I'am still not good with her. I prefer Musashi or JB.

Missouri   Missouri  9  U.S.A.  156   40.38%   685  49 595   0.52  

:Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[NMA]
Players
1,277 posts
19,153 battles

Yoshino, if you got Azuma, is not worth spending coal on, in my opinion.

Smolensk is a :etc_swear: *edited*. I refused to buy that ship and add to misery and :etc_swear:fest WG created with it. I can only hope you'll do the same.

Thunderer is amazing. Good hard hitting and precise guns. Great AP and HE shell performance and shells actually land where you target. I love thunderer and fully recommend it.

Edited: Please don't compare the game (or parts of it) to diseases.

Arty_McFly

• Cool 1

[K3RLS]
Players
292 posts
9,668 battles
13 minutes ago, DariusJacek said:

Mo is overhyped, the only broken thing on her are credit making abilities the rest being Iowa, hardly  a broken ship. Radar was a thing back then when there were not so many radar ships now everyone and his dog has a radar. I know it's a BB but overextend to use this gimmick and you are dead to  HE spam or torps.  But then she's my joy and pride as a first high tier BB I got in this game as a total noob with wonderful stats to prove how poor she is whenever I want to dis her:Smile_trollface:  

Stll she's made me a ton of credits and an ocean of tears farmed unfortunately mostly on my teammates:cap_haloween:

So guys do not go high tiers too early. You'll regret it. But to be honest even now I'am still not good with her. I prefer Musashi or JB.

Missouri   Missouri  9  U.S.A.  156   40.38%   685  49 595   0.52  

:Smile_hiding:

Yea, I can kinda see why most players don't want a Newby going around in a Jb, expecting to shoot some boats for fun In a the biggest French battle ship class.

I've resisted buying a premium ship till I got the azur lane second wave  captains. Which I got when I had one tier six 6 ship Bayern and tier tier seven Myoko .

And I only rushed to those ships because I already had their next generation on my na account which I made to play with a friend that stopped playing after we did some tier one matches. Gneissnau  I had for sure, myoko I can't remember. 

My first was jap Lima, 80 cents shop and the higher tier one was Atago. 

While Atago is strikingly familiar to myoko. The forward torps made me play her less like a rushing fool and a bit more behind the first line. 

Sure I sucked at playing her. I still do, and rather use Eugen if I had to choose another tier 8 cruiser. But don't regret getting Atago sometimes. 

[K3RLS]
Players
292 posts
9,668 battles
13 minutes ago, quickr said:

Yoshino, if you got Azuma, is not worth spending coal on, in my opinion.

Smolensk is a :etc_swear: cancer. I refused to buy that ship and add to misery and :etc_swear:fest WG created with it. I can only hope you'll do the same.

Thunderer is amazing. Good hard hitting and precise guns. Great AP and HE shell performance and shells actually land where you target. I love thunderer and fully recommend it.

So zao is better than Yoshino? 

[NMA]
Players
1,277 posts
19,153 battles
1 minute ago, Sirius_IV said:

So zao is better than Yoshino? 

Define better?

Both are fun to play, each in its own way.

Players
1,813 posts
15,376 battles

Owning all 3, here's my 5 cents.

Yoshino: it's fine, but it won't wow you. It's a somewhat tankier Azuma with torps in t10. And the additional tankiness can be quite useful, don't get me wrong.. but it's essentially a long range HE kiter. It doesn't offer much in the way of unique gameplay. Keep in mind, it's AP is really good at deleting Smolensks, though - it overpens less and citadels more.

Smolensk: if you won't feel dirty racking up monster damage games while the enemy can only seem to overpen you, go right ahead. Easily the strongest ship of the bunch. The only issue I have with it is, ok, I just had a high damage game, I don't really feel a sense of accomplishment from that because Smol is ez damage mode. Sometimes you might get smoke blapped by a lucky BB but most of the time you can just farm care free. If you understand anything about positioning and have the ability to plan ahead just enough so you don't find yourself spotted and blapped when your smoke expires, and know how to use island cover as well, you'll do fine in it. But tbh it's kind of boring, I think they need to make her easier to citadel. Literally has to go up easier than a mino, if it's going to have that kind of DPM. That way skilled players who can position properly and think ahead will be rewarded, and potatoes won't be able to farm ez 200k+ because they can't get dev struck while broadside most of the time.

Thunderer: only got her 2 days ago, she's a lot of fun though. Ending the game by dev striking a Henri at 22km? Look no further. People misplay her a lot, by spamming HE all game. If you want to do that, just get a Conq instead, the AP is incredibly good and the guns are accurate on this thing. Sure, if it's a bow-on yamato, HE him, otherwise AP all the way. These guns are very consistent. Just remember, while the guns were acquired in an expensive brand store, they seemed to have bought the armor at LIDL, so remember that this ship can't really push properly, not unless it's end game and the enemy has been sufficiently thinned out and killed off. With those guns, though, you have a lot of effect from range just fine. The game might not have really needed another sniping BB, but she does fit exceptionally well in the current meta.

Out of those 3, I find the Smolensk the strongest (with the Thunderer taking a close second place), and the Thunderer the most fun. Another thing to keep in mind; there's a chance Smolensk will get nerfed. Depending on what they do to her, this could significantly impact her performance. Of course, this is WG and the ship is russian, so it's also possible they do a Kremlin again and do some small nerf that doesn't really affect her in a meaningful way, instead.