You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Measuperbia

Whats a good/bad torp speed?

16 comments in this topic

Players
60 posts
4,612 battles

Hey I just got Sims B from the black friday sale. This ship has 7km range torps with 65 speed, but it can also have 10.5km range with 49 speed.

Ive played some battles now with the Sims with the 10.5km torp, but I don't seam to hit anything with those torps.... I usually get some torps hits with even the Minsk/Icarus/Jervis(4-7km torp range)

So, I guess the fact that the speed is only 49 makes my torps incredibly easy to dodge?? what is considered an average or below average torps speed? what speed is considered a must have?

I am really thinking about getting the commander skill -20% range and +5 speed (think would make 8.3 range and 54 speed - BUT is that even worth it??) I mean I could do with 8.3 range, that's fine...

But is 54 speed instead of 49 speed even that much of a difference anyway?  

Should I just go with the 7km range ones? (yes 7km range is horrible, but at least more then minsk)

Thanks for your input everyone =)

6,234 posts
10,691 battles

Yes and no.

The thing that goes alongside with torp speed is detection. Usually: Greater speed = easier detection. That's why Sims (and Black) torps are usually one of the stealthiest torpedos in the game. IF the enemy spots them it's mostly too late to dodge.

On the other hand: The further you are away the more time the enemy has to change his course (either because you were spotted or simply because the enemy is a good player and changes his course randomly). That's worse on slow torps.

Overall: I use the long range torps on the Sims as "Fire and Forget". I launch them, do my business in hunting DDs and going for caps, and by the time the torps run out I can launch the next set. And given their slow speed, if you use them as area denial torps, most enemies think that the torps have long past when they enter a channel where you've been spotted 30s earlier.

• Cool 2

Players
10,086 posts
11,852 battles

The slower the torpedo, the better concealment it (usually) gets, to keep reaction time around 8s mark. Sims long range sea mines take so long to get to target it may even by accident evade them, but then reaction time for faster ones is identical.

Torpedo Acceleration skill shaves around 0.5s on reaction time, you be the judge if thats relevant. Most skills are more of a placebo effect TBH, besides "mandatory" ones like PT, LS or CE.

[JRM]
Players
6,719 posts

You can use slow torps no problem they get less hits then fast ones but still usable, however I usually take the fast and short fish if I have a choice, exceptions are gearing and shima in CB (when I play them) where I use 16km ones but with TA and 12km ones respectively so I can spam the moskva/stalin trenches...

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,905 posts
12,142 battles

Sims slow torps are excellent for torping smokes or on bow on reversing BBs, forcing out the damagecon. 

[-TPF-]
Players
4,007 posts
16,526 battles

The thing is that the torpedo indicator isn't adjusting itself for either the speed of the ship or the speed of the torpedo. So you have to adjust your aim and lead accordingly. Any torpedo can be effective, the only ones which are undodgeable are the fast, short range Russian ones.

[JRM]
Players
6,719 posts
31 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

The thing is that the torpedo indicator isn't adjusting itself for either the speed of the ship or the speed of the torpedo. So you have to adjust your aim and lead accordingly. Any torpedo can be effective, the only ones which are undodgeable are the fast, short range Russian ones.

Wut? Torp indicator does exactly that, precisely the reason why its there...

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,007 posts
16,526 battles
6 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Wut? Torp indicator does exactly that, precisely the reason why its there...

I find it doesn't... torps below 60 knots need more lead, especially if the target is moving above 30 knots.  Feel free to disagree, but I tend to overlap my salvos by around 50% on ships with slower torps.

[JRM]
Players
6,719 posts

IDK if there are some errors in individual cases of ships that have multiple torp options (might be) but in general it serms to me that if target does not change relative speed or heading (this also changes relative speed) the fish slam right amidships? Ofc in real fight scenario you rearly can use the indicator as nearly every drop is more about what target will do and where it will be when fish arrive thren where its heading unless its point blank...

One way or the other I will pay closer attention to what you said and maybe do some training room testing, you might have a point there, it would certanly explain some strage misses I have experienced...

[SHAFT]
Players
10,237 posts
9,063 battles
1 hour ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Torping a Mogador with my Sims seamines might be one of my greatest achievements in wows. :Smile_teethhappy:

Torped an Aigle once with my Marblehead - he even took more than 1 :Smile_hiding:

I had <2k HP, he didnt shoot me, tried to torp, he had full health. He died ofc :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[SHAFT]
Players
10,237 posts
9,063 battles
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

I find it doesn't... torps below 60 knots need more lead, especially if the target is moving above 30 knots.  Feel free to disagree, but I tend to overlap my salvos by around 50% on ships with slower torps.

Imo they dont, if the target is straightlining, and has been doing it before you launched the torps. But if the ship (like a BB) is still speeding up after it maneuvered, sure you will miss more likely with slower torps.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,007 posts
16,526 battles
4 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

But if the ship (like a BB) is still speeding up after it maneuvered, sure you will miss more likely with slower torps.

Indeed. If a ship is sailing in a straight line at a constant speed, then the indicator is generally accurate. But most likely people aren't - they have either been or are manoeuvring - so you need to adjust accordingly, especially with slower torps. 

[AAO]
Players
1,570 posts
21,008 battles
2 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Indeed. If a ship is sailing in a straight line at a constant speed, then the indicator is generally accurate. But most likely people aren't - they have either been or are manoeuvring - so you need to adjust accordingly, especially with slower torps.  

That's the whole point of the lead indicator though. Give you a prediction for a constant-speed constant-heading target.
Ofc it's gonna be off if the target maneuvers, that's got nothing to do with the indicator though.

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,063 posts
10,875 battles

Anything less than 81kts is too slow.

Edit

I've never actually tried the torpedo acceleration on any ship except Black so I put one of the spare 10 point cartoon commanders into  Yukikaze.  That ship has as standard 8km torpedoes at 76kts.  Afterr I posted  I made the commander up to 12 points and aside from the usual perks I added torpedo acceleration to give the ship 6.4 km range 81kt torpedoes.  Ship has a 5.4 km detection range.

Tactical fights in caps are a lot of fun when the opponent thinks he has more time to evade.

Os1CwKv.jpg

Asashio stopped in smoke and died seconds later. 

Richelieu saw me and thought he had time to turn.

OAURIfu.jpg

[NECRO]
Players
1,584 posts
Vor 2 Stunden, Hedgehog1963 sagte:

Anything less than 81kts is too slow. 

You want Russian Shkval supercavitating torps (>200 knots) in this game for balans, comrade?

• Cool 1