You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Blixies

Do you care about your PR? Do NOT buy the Black ships.

84 comments in this topic

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
1,929 posts
5,391 battles

Hello there,
this will not concern many people I would imagine, but if you care about your personal rating, it is not a smart idea to buy the black versions of the ships.
Why? Well, you need to do a lot better in the B ships to achieve the same rating as in the standard ships. (Due to them being newer and less people having them, I suppose).

An example below:
image.thumb.png.9aa5c5e117ffe8ed85273a0b997b3bce.png

For those who do not care about their PR (absolutely nothing wrong about that), or have a latex fetish: knock yourselves out!

Underwear (B):

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.90b28c2288ae0930b7e88d46410705ed.png

• Cool 3
  • Funny 6

[JRM]
Players
3,354 posts
18,792 battles

Somebody really cares about that PR BS? I mean its not even an official WG metric but some kind of hybrid calculation attempting to quantify something that cant actually be quantified (contribution to victories) and hence failing miserably... If you like the ships buy and play them and if you dont then dont...

• Cool 13
  • Funny 3

[FJAKA]
Players
2,514 posts
374 battles
20 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Somebody really cares about that PR BS? I mean its not even an official WG metric but some kind of hybrid calculation attempting to quantify something that cant actually be quantified (contribution to victories) and hence failing miserably... If you like the ships buy and play them and if you dont then dont...

It is quite good formula infact. It shows how you ranked in that ship compared to others. 

SmartSelect_20191129-092404_Chrome.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
1,929 posts
5,391 battles
19 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Thank you for repeating the exact same sentiment as I did. The PR is not important, but some people use it to measure their own improvement and growth, for example.

29 minutes ago, Blixies said:

... this will not concern many people I would imagine...
... For those who do not care about their PR (absolutely nothing wrong about that), or have a latex fetish: knock yourselves out!

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,084 battles
14 minutes ago, veslingr said:

It is quite good formula infact.

No it's a terrible one since it relies heavily on damage and it isn't capable of tracking actually important stuff like capping and defending.

All PR does is make BAD PLAYERS WHO FARM DAMAGE REALLY WELL think they aren't bad players. 

• Cool 22

[FJAKA]
Players
2,514 posts
374 battles

This could be BS..but most good/TOP clans have minimum WR and PR to be able to apply for clan.....and if you dno not care for your WR, PR and any other stat it is also just fine.

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,084 battles
Just now, veslingr said:

This could be BS..but most good/TOP clans have minimum WR and PR to be able to apply for clan.....and if you dno not care for your WR, PR and any other stat it is also just fine.

Yes and most good/TOP clans will tell you that PR is damage farming nothing more nothing less. Nothing inherently wrong with damage farming, if you have the WR to go alongside it. But WR is leading for most of them, since they realize PR can be farmed without actually increasing your chances to win equally as if you're not busy damage whoring and going after say the important targets instead of Smolensking BB's. 

• Cool 8

[FJAKA]
Players
2,514 posts
374 battles
Just now, mtm78 said:

Yes and most good/TOP clans will tell you that PR is damage farming nothing more nothing less. Nothing inherently wrong with damage farming, if you have the WR to go alongside it. But WR is leading for most of them, since they realize PR can be farmed without actually increasing your chances to win equally as if you're not busy damage whoring and going after say the important targets instead of Smolensking BB's. 

But still they insist on PR......most common reason is that WR can also be farmed in division where other 2 player caries you.

Not many bad players have high WR and PR (and both are required for good clans)

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,084 battles

Stop being thicc.

WR farming in divisions can be easilly seen, PR farming useless damage as well. 

• Cool 4

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
2,930 posts
3,640 battles

I'm just going to go out and say that PR is just as bad, and worthless, as WN9 as a measurement of player skill.

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Players
657 posts
3,809 battles

Yikes, imagine caring about your PR before you buy ships :Smile_hiding::Smile_trollface::Smile_popcorn:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Beta Tester
2,641 posts
2,857 battles

At the risk of hinting that I don't care about PR, I'm going to go ahead and ask: What is PR? :Smile_Default:

I  hadn't even heard of the abbreviation, until it popped up in this thread.

[THESO]
Players
657 posts
3,809 battles
1 minute ago, Procrastes said:

At the risk of hinting that I don't care about PR, I'm going to go ahead and ask: What is PR? :Smile_Default:

I  hadn't even heard of the abbreviation, until it popped up in this thread.

Personal rating https://wows-numbers.com/personal/rating

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
977 posts
7,011 battles
33 minutes ago, mtm78 said:

No it's a terrible one since it relies heavily on damage and it isn't capable of tracking actually important stuff like capping and defending.

Correct.

33 minutes ago, mtm78 said:

All PR does is make BAD PLAYERS WHO FARM DAMAGE REALLY WELL think they aren't bad players. 

Well it is called Personal Rating and should just be for to see, if you can improve yourself. What the community made out of it....was probably not the intention.

29 minutes ago, veslingr said:

But still they insist on PR......most common reason is that WR can also be farmed in division where other 2 player caries you.

Well good that there is a "solo" tab on wows-stats to see, if you only can get carried.

11 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

At the risk of hinting that I don't care about PR, I'm going to go ahead and ask: What is PR?

PR is Personal Rating similar to Wn8 in WoT (when you played it) and shows you in comparrison to every other player how you are doing dmg-wise.

Let's take the Daring for example. The average DMG from all players is 47.317. Top 50% : 64.221. Top 25% 74042. Top 10% 84745 and Top 5% of all players 91588.

So that means when your average DMG is around let's say 80.000 you are in between 25% and 10% and then with a formular it will be counted how your PR is.

it's not called Personal Rating without a reason. The intention of it was to look if you can improve yourself with the ships you drive.

TL;DR: PR is your DMG compared to all other players on your server.

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Players
657 posts
3,809 battles
7 minutes ago, quickr said:

Your PR is safe boys :Smile_teethhappy:

2121.thumb.jpg.dcfdfd01ca1a0b79b0af4fe7792dab4e.jpg

Temporarily :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
2,930 posts
3,640 battles
4 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

I'm a bad player I have no idea what all this is a about:Smile_veryhappy:

Another one of those meaningless stats that you shouldn't worry about, basically.

• Cool 4

Players
972 posts
7,387 battles
2 hours ago, Yedwy said:

prob the wisest words spoken dis week :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Players
685 posts
5,475 battles
2 hours ago, veslingr said:

It is quite good formula infact. It shows how you ranked in that ship compared to others. 

SmartSelect_20191129-092404_Chrome.jpg

Yes it is technically a strong formula, but because it isn't official your PR will be different between websites which lends PR and "unauthentic" feel that leaves a lot of people ignoring it.

WR does just fine.

Players
365 posts
6,291 battles

You cant refuse PR completely, but have to understand how to read the stats. It is the same in other fields, for instance h-index or journal impact factor in science; they all got their problems and limitations but to just neglect them is stupid, too. One can, for instance, compare different PR values over the different tiers. You will than see that a large proportion of seemingly good/ not bad players polish their stats by focussing on mid tier. That tells you a lot about a player if, for example, his PR drops by hundreds of points if t6/7 is compared with t10. I could go on but I guess my point should be clear. But in addition: All (!) potatoes have bad PR values ;)

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Players
4,538 posts
245 battles
2 hours ago, Yedwy said:

Wargamings version of PR is below average and was rarely used in world of tanks for example, due to the weird metrics it would use to calculate your score, WN7, WN8 and Rush rating became far more reliable ways of seeing how you were progressing.

• Funny 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
1,929 posts
5,391 battles
2 hours ago, Asakka said:

Yikes, imagine caring about your PR before you buy ships :Smile_hiding::Smile_trollface::Smile_popcorn:

Yeeeet. Imagine caring about PR at all (like some people do), and then having an option to slect between two exact same ships, one of which yields the better results.

1 hour ago, quickr said:

Your PR is safe boys :Smile_teethhappy:

2121.thumb.jpg.dcfdfd01ca1a0b79b0af4fe7792dab4e.jpg

The ships PR need to be calibrated first, it's like this every time a """"new"""" ship is released. Not to worry, fren.

3 hours ago, veslingr said:

https://wows-numbers.com/personal/rating/expected/preview/

Here are expected values for all ships. This is base for PR calculation

For Asashio both version have almost same value. So PR is not in trouble:)

Thank you for the source! The numbers are similar, as you say, but they are slightly higher for the B version as well I noticed.
The difference for Atago and Atago (B) and other ships are much higher though.