You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DrMechano

Sometimes I make myself wonder... - Embarrassing moments!

45 comments in this topic

[501L]
Players
381 posts
4,327 battles

...how do I still function? Playing a game in my shiny new tier 8 Russian BB, I know there are two DDs around a corner, the first one is spotted and I manage to dodge his torps powering forward to get those sweet close range HE hits (I'd switched to HE already, knowing they were there)...and proceed to sail straight into the torps of the second DD that for some reason I'd forgotten was there seconds ago...

That moment of "what WAS I thinking?" followed by a sigh and a back to port, then a cup of coffee and a cigarette to contemplate my ingame choices...

Edit: thanks for the great idea OP.
Come on everyone, we all know we do the most idiotic mistakes from time to time. Some of us do that regularly, some of us once in a blue moon.. some of us like me turned it into a life style! Lets share your most embarrasing WOWs moments here.. better with a screenshot, best with a replay!
Excavatus

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
2,606 posts
11,389 battles

Okkkkkkkk, but do you really have to make a topic out of it? What are we suppose to discuss?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[501L]
Players
381 posts
4,327 battles

Eh just thought it would be a fun place to put those "what was I thinking?" moments for other people. a bit of levity amongst the forums of shoutiness.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Beta Tester
725 posts
12,336 battles

My best ship for what was I thinking is a Yamato.

Now everyone knows that it has a weakness. But when I am blown into pieces I realize that I just forgot about that one :D

Moment of forgetfulnes that happens way to often :(

• Funny 2

Players
77 posts
612 battles

If that's any consolation to you, I know your pain. Every second battle is an opportunity to give myself the what for. Just one of my last battles where I boldly kited a BB behind Charleston, naively thinking I would not be sneezed out of the surface with a few well-placed HE salvos. The best part: I almost sank her!... as I watched my ship slowly capsizing after the final salvo, my nemesis went up in flames from just one salvo of my teammate! That was my kill, damn it to Davey! :fish_viking:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,000 posts
10,815 battles
8 hours ago, pra3y said:

Okkkkkkkk, but do you really have to make a topic out of it? What are we suppose to discuss?

8 hours ago, DrMechano said:

Eh just thought it would be a fun place to put those "what was I thinking?" moments for other people. a bit of levity amongst the forums of shoutiness.

You know I like the idea actually..

We have a topic for showing everyone how bad our team was..

we have a topic for showing everyone how heavy we carried..

we have a topic for showing everyone how heavy we carried but failed to win.

but we don't have a topic to show everyone how our brains go bluescreen of death and we do stupid things...

I say we can use this topic for that.. But If I start, I may flood this topic by myself.. so, I'm gonna go and select my best ones!

cheers OP for the idea..

I'm gonna edit you opening post!

Hold my beer!

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Players
1,809 posts
15,366 battles

Don't have screenshot, but I remember this Cossack game two weeks ago..

"I usually do well in a Cossack, let's get an ez win, I feel like blapping some DD's".

Sleeping giant, t8 game. I go to A, kill an enemy DD there. So far, so good. Now that I did gud (tm), let's repeat this - there is an enemy Aki to the left of the cap spamming from smoke, let's go kill him.

Except.. there's a so-far-unspotted enemy Balti on the team, and I just kind of failed to register this. I didn't see his last known anywhere near, and didn't bother to check if it was on the other flank, I just kind of assumed it was. Long story short, I sail out of A to the left side and find myself less than 6km in front of a baltimore and a mogami right behind him - both just having been sitting on that side covered by the island until that point. I think it took them oh, about 5s to kill me.

Embarrasing. Especially since I'm usually very aware of where the radars are, so I was quite annoyed with myself for potatoing that hard :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

[SHAFT]
Players
10,253 posts
9,063 battles

Not long ago when i was playing Buffalo, knew a DD was behind the island, even saw how he was standing there.

I was thinking: Just go straight, he couldnt have torp angles on you...

*eats 3 torps* :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 6

Players
1,809 posts
15,366 battles
Just now, DFens_666 said:

Not long ago when i was playing Buffalo, knew a DD was behind the island, even saw how he was standing there.

I was thinking: Just go straight, he couldnt have torp angles on you...

*eats 3 torps* :Smile_teethhappy:

Or the classic "there's no way he has torps loaded again this fast"... :etc_swear: 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[-TCP-]
Players
219 posts

Moskva (I've done this DM Donkey too). 

Big Cit so must not show broadside. Do not show broadside, bow on only, DM can kite because good angles.

Game starts, move cautiously forward, not showing broadside, gently does it. 

Ohhh a cruiser appears to the right, I'll have him!

Turns right...… splash, all goes quiet, notice half of HP gone. There are a number of BB's that have well over 20k range....must not show broadside....sigh.

• Funny 3

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles

Yes, I'm embarrassing anyway, but for me what brought me down to earth recently was playing my current favourite cruiser the Bayard. After a record (for me) 111,000 damage game I was feeling full of myself so it was a profound shock when the next game was 0 dmg, I caught the torps doing what I knew I shouldn't do, go forward too soon. A situation of swings and roundabouts if ever there was one.

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
3,087 posts
22,038 battles
On 11/29/2019 at 1:14 AM, DrMechano said:

...how do I still function? Playing a game in my shiny new tier 8 Russian BB, I know there are two DDs around a corner, the first one is spotted and I manage to dodge his torps powering forward to get those sweet close range HE hits (I'd switched to HE already, knowing they were there)...and proceed to sail straight into the torps of the second DD that for some reason I'd forgotten was there seconds ago...

That moment of "what WAS I thinking?" followed by a sigh and a back to port, then a cup of coffee and a cigarette to contemplate my ingame choices...

Kinda reminds me of that moment on the "Warrior's Path" map, when I started from the top side in my Mogami. My mission to support our DD going to B cap and so I sagely immediately noted to myself to make sure to approach the cap unseen behind the island and turn LEFT to keep in cover of those islands between B & C caps. "Because, if I went in-front of the island next to the cap, I would just be spotted and shot to ribbons." So far, so good right? :cap_old:

Oh well, I approach as planned unseen behind the island AND 15 seconds later when I got near it - I of course immediately rushed full speed, turned RIGHT and went in front of it, was spotted by the approaching enemy DD and shot to ribbons by all the gazillion enemy guns trained into that direction, just waiting for some insufferable moron (who, for the purposes of implausible deniability shall remain unnamed) to pop-up there. :cap_wander_2:

Yupp, attaboy!:cap_horn: - I did not disappoint. Time played 2min and 37 sec. Probably should have listened to myself ... :cap_yes:

PS. In professional Strategy Gaming circles this kind of maneuver is better known, as the sinister and infamous "Tactical Doctrine of Ooopsie" of which I have distressingly often proved to be a master of.:cap_viking:

• Funny 2

Players
1,884 posts
13,145 battles

Many moons ago on my Z52, hydro on cooldown, smoked myself up, started shooting at a Tirpitz, launched torps, so did Tirpitz. I thought hmmm, I think the closest he was 6.1km away, was he not? Erm, no, he wasn't.  :cap_fainting:

• Funny 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,009 posts
16,538 battles
11 hours ago, pra3y said:

It's those moments of revelation when gameplay makes you consider your efficacy as a sentient being. 

I usually have this when playing Narai and having trouble with that f'n Pheonix. It's a Tier IV cruiser, sailing broadside. It should just explode. And yet.

Phoenix: Pewpewpew.

The ship is on fire!

Pheonix: Pewpewpew.

Rudder critically damaged! 

Me: Ha, I laugh at your pew pew puny shells. Have a mighty broadside!

Result: eight over penetrations.

This is usually followed by the unexpected arrival of a disconcertingly accurate American torpedo salvo and a great deal of swearing on my part. 

• Cool 4

Players
277 posts
6,062 battles

Playing ranked in Des Moines:

180k dmg, 3 kills (Thoughts; Doing ok here)

183k dmg, 4 kills (Thoughts; Pretty good, contributing to the team)

178k dmg, 3 kills (Thoughts; I've got this boys, leave it to me!)

4k dmg, er eh thanks for playing!!!!  :Smile_honoring:

Players
547 posts
1,723 battles

23rd Nov, taking Massachusetts out for a spin,

DD in front decides to scout the other side so me & a cruiser charge forward into the cap, he sensibly stays behind an island, not me....

I'm in a Battleship I can take this cap, 2 red team ahead on either side so can't turn or broadside.

Full speed and damn the torpedoes!

Sunk by @Yoshanai in their Shokaku.

Always happens when I run into Forumites on Red team.......

I think @Panocek was on Red as well....

Spoiler

159688571_WorldofWarships23_11_201915_37_12.thumb.png.4454a084f8a717d25298cf964ea31770.png

Players
2,922 posts

forgetting the single launch option of the British dd line in a yami  I think I ate the whole motherload 10? more? idk. In my defense it's a line i haven't played enough or at al. I know it's indefensible and I did it again today :Smile_sceptic: 

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,286 posts
24,409 battles

Me yesterday in teamchat: "I ll go radar A". Ship looked strange, I was in Henry... :Smile_facepalm:

• Funny 8

Players
490 posts
8,673 battles

did it today again, sailing around an island to delete a DD knowing full well there are torps coming, spot the torps and then decide to turn away from them instead into them, yeah i took each and every torp  because of that....why oh why

• Funny 1

Players
1,910 posts

Had to rush a DD with my Scharhorst today. Worked out great. Dodged the torps and right after i finished him off i turned full broadside to his sinking boat and start heading towards the cap. As i was turning i realized that i only saw one set and ofc right after i ate the full seconed set of torps getting devstriked... Needless to say i logged off and went for a walk. 

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,651 posts
6,346 battles

The second game mentioned in this post qualifies IMO.

I could have just hung back and let the clock run out and we'd probably have won, but noooo :fish_palm:

[R3B3L]
Players
915 posts
29,821 battles
21 hours ago, DrMechano said:

back to port, then a cup of coffee

after today´s disasters in ranked ... i might try out that one :cap_tea:

• Cool 1

[501L]
Players
381 posts
4,327 battles
8 hours ago, illy said:

did it today again, sailing around an island to delete a DD knowing full well there are torps coming, spot the torps and then decide to turn away from them instead into them, yeah i took each and every torp  because of that....why oh why

We're all guilty of this. I think it's the natural human instinct of "Oh god, run away, run away!" kicking in and trying to get away form the problem as quickly as possible instead of doing the sensible thing of eating 1 or 2 torps but turning IN to the threat.

• Cool 4