You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
nambr9

SAP vs Forts and other land based structures

19 comments in this topic

[THESO]
Players
4,181 posts

Does nothing.

It doesn't even register a hit. Shells just sink in the structure and disappear.

This must be a bug ... no way its like this by design.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1

[SHAFT]
Players
10,297 posts
9,104 battles

I dont think the others show hits either? Or do they? Cant tell, even tho ive played so many OPs :Smile_teethhappy:

HE deals always damage, AP depending on penetration.

I guess SAP cant deal any damage, because it has a fixed penetration value. But 203mm AP should easily be enough to pen those forts. 152mm Cruisers can do it at <10km i think. Budyonny seems to be the best from what ive seen. So 203mm should be able to do it from further.

• Cool 3

[BABBY]
Players
714 posts
10,546 battles
43 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Does nothing.

It doesn't even register a hit. Shells just sink in the structure and disappear.

Doesn't 203mm AP citadel the forts at any range anyway?

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
4,181 posts
8 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

To be honest .. IDK, but I was surprised SAP did nothing ... so I did not bother shooting them after that.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,189 posts
3,662 battles

Interesting! This should be fairly easy to test in the ongoing Killer Whale scenario. I don't have any other tier VI Regia Marina cruiser than the Duca D'Aosta, but perhaps some proud Trento owner could do a test run and report back...? :fish_book:

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

I wouldn't be surprised this wasn't even tested during development "because no-one is playing scenarios anyway, and it's at the bottom of our priority list anyway".

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2

[THESO]
Players
4,181 posts
12 minutes ago, lossi_2018 said:

They dont hurt them in my games, better off shoot HE at em

No HE on ITA cruisers.

[ALONE]
Modder
2,201 posts
13,811 battles
Vor 49 Minuten, MrFingers sagte:

I wouldn't be surprised this wasn't even tested during development "because no-one is playing scenarios anyway, and it's at the bottom of our priority list anyway".

Hey, at least I tested it. But I share your assessment. 

And AP works. But as forts and building don't give credits/XP, I left these for the other players, as usual :Smile_trollface:

[-TPF-]
Players
4,023 posts
16,603 battles
1 hour ago, Procrastes said:

Interesting! This should be fairly easy to test in the ongoing Killer Whale scenario. I don't have any other tier VI Regia Marina cruiser than the Duca D'Aosta, but perhaps some proud Trento owner could do a test run and report back...? :fish_book:

Already done it. Doesn't do any damage to forts (AP works below 10k). I'll test base structures later... 

• Cool 3

[SHAFT]
Players
10,297 posts
9,104 battles
1 hour ago, BlackYeti said:

Dunno, havent played so many of those in OPs. Atleast Myoko can do it at longer ranges IIRC. Let me check penetration values between 152mm and 203mm guns.

Fiji/Budyonny have rather small difference in penetration.

image.thumb.png.38dccb0226bb3f057aa72b07111fd314.png

Fiji needs to be <9km, Budyonny can do it at ~10km if i remember correctly. So it should be ~140mm penetration get through the forts.

Aobo/Myoko roughly got that pen at maxrange, so should be good to go. Pepsicola got more pen than IJN. Sadly, this site doesnt update anymore, so no ITA CAs, but i dont think they have vastly worse penetration than the others.

Players
222 posts
12,144 battles

150mm odd AP doesn't do anything above something like 7km....all RN light cruisers.....

Its a pen thing and SAP has fixed pen values. 203mm AP works well, unless at extreme ranges and does more damage.

150mm light cruisers either fire HE or have to get in close range to use their AP.

Beta Tester
1,583 posts
17,591 battles
Vor 15 Stunden, Smeggo sagte:

Hey, at least I tested it. But I share your assessment. 

And AP works. But as forts and building don't give credits/XP, I left these for the other players, as usual :Smile_trollface:

That's the team spirit we value so much around here.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[JRM]
Players
6,751 posts

Well SAP doesnt care abut distance it has set pen of 54mm (for the 8" guns) and thats that...

[TTT]
Players
1,453 posts
13,349 battles
19 hours ago, nambr9 said:

Does nothing.

We are very sorry please renew your HANA/4 License so we can provide the usual services :pundog:

I haven't tried that but i will now if it really doesnt work that would be a bit meh-.

[SEN]
Players
795 posts

Leander's shells are useless vs forts at +8km, you need to get under 8 km in order to do damage;

SAP are like bubble gum, no damage against forts, no matter the range, but funny, much better than AP against soft land structures ( like the ones in Killer Whale Op.) ;

Italian 203 AP works very good vs forts even at 13-14 km, so here italian AP are a lot better than RN.

Tested extensively on this week Op,  and in Trento I always start with AP until forts are done. Not even bother with SAP.

Leander, in other hand, is pathetic vs forts, you need to get under 8km and by then sure you get spotted and lighted up. 

Overall, I can say - from a personal PoV - Trento is a better ship in Killer Whale than Leander.

In fact, for this Op, is the second best ship ( after cv) .

Any decent cv player have no excuse to not finish Killer Whale in top position - is an Op made for cv to shine, ( especially Ryujo !) - but Trento can come  second with no problems.

SAP is  VERY effective vs cargo ships - you get chunks of 9-10k / salvo consistently,  and like we all know by now, SAP delete dds in 2 salvos easily.